Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So I've got two Mk3S running now and I'm toying with building one from the ground up so I can play with stuff line the Hemera, etc. But the kits so I've got a good grounding in the basics.

Where's the best place to learn about starting from the ground up instead of a kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry, actually, let's talk about UV curing again for one second. There's a huge disconnect between what I'm reading online and what the datasheets above say in terms of cure time. Ignore the temperature part, which I won't be worrying about right now. If I read the graphs right we're getting great curing results at like, two hours. When I google for UV curing times I get reddit post after reddit post (substitute forum post after forum post, I get results from everywhere) that read like.. "Yeah I throw my thing in for five minutes and it's good".

There's definitely some sort of disconnect here. Even if the Form graphs are specific to their resins, is there really that much of a difference between curing times? Or are these likely just people who throw in and don't really test for "optimal" results, just going by how tacky or not tacky the print is? Obviously I can't expect anyone to answer this scientifically.

I can't find any data sheets for my Anycubic resins so I'm just going to throw my parts in for an hour and change and hope for the best.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Martytoof posted:

Sorry, actually, let's talk about UV curing again for one second. There's a huge disconnect between what I'm reading online and what the datasheets above say in terms of cure time. Ignore the temperature part, which I won't be worrying about right now. If I read the graphs right we're getting great curing results at like, two hours. When I google for UV curing times I get reddit post after reddit post (substitute forum post after forum post, I get results from everywhere) that read like.. "Yeah I throw my thing in for five minutes and it's good".

There's definitely some sort of disconnect here. Even if the Form graphs are specific to their resins, is there really that much of a difference between curing times? Or are these likely just people who throw in and don't really test for "optimal" results, just going by how tacky or not tacky the print is? Obviously I can't expect anyone to answer this scientifically.

I can't find any data sheets for my Anycubic resins so I'm just going to throw my parts in for an hour and change and hope for the best.

A lot of it has to do with your lights. Fluorescent, LED, and Mercury all cure at different rates. LED being the worst due to the narrow spectrum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_curing

I have only used form labs for resin prints and curing, but I do a bunch of *Alumilite UV resin work and use a single UV led for small quick cures (30 seconds on extremely small amounts of resin) and a Fluorescent setup with 6 tubes for larger cures and it generally takes about 1.5 - 2 hours to fully cure.

*Edit: Alumilite UV resin casting/coating not printing.

JEEVES420 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 7, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah I see, thanks! I bought a long strip of 405nm LEDs and just have them circled around in a reflective box right now. I think I'll just let this go for two hours and see what happens.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

TKIY posted:

So I've got two Mk3S running now and I'm toying with building one from the ground up so I can play with stuff line the Hemera, etc. But the kits so I've got a good grounding in the basics.

Where's the best place to learn about starting from the ground up instead of a kit?

Tom on YT has a video of building the peusa... mk2? I think? From the ground up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I've left prints in my DIY oven for like, 4 days and there hasn't been any fallout from that.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
One thing to remember is that the photochemical reaction we call "curing" continues for basically the entire lifetime of the part, to one degree or another. To illustrate the point, technically we essentially refer to the final stage of part curing as "UV degradation" because it's generally unwanted and uncontrolled and does not benefit the part. Another point (already mentioned) is that the degree of curing you actually need varies hugely depending on your end application.
The surface layer of a print being cured reacts quickly because of the high UV exposure, and for thin sections the entire part can act as a "surface layer" if illuminated evenly on all sides, but most parts will have a fast-curing "shell" over a "core" that responds much slower to post-print UV treatments on account of being buried. A thick resin section's deepest sections will, so far as I know, often still be slowly changing weeks or months after a quick post-treatment is "complete".
If you are making actual functional components or anything that must meet specific mechanical/physical specifications, having a homogenous and consistently-cured part is absolutely critical- but you're not doing that. If you're making a delicate tabletop model, you definitely want the best cure possible so it survives tumbles off the table n rough handling, but ultimately you can always repair it or print another. And if you're just making a paperweight or art piece a tightly-controlled post-treatment is basically irrelevant and your time is better spent elsewhere.

Those curing experiments are daunting as hell but they're really not all that important for where you're at, that was more to highlight how post-print UV treatment is surprisingly complicated and has significant bearing on the quality of the parts you're printing- basically, you shouldn't treat is as an afterthought. Which you're not, so hey.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 7, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had a weird interaction with curing resins. Basically I printed a funnel to get spare resin back in the bottle. I'd leave it in my cleaning container, which contains the tubs of alcohol used to clean prints. The tubs seal but not 100% so the thing faintly smells of alcohol whenever I open the whole container up. I'd leave the funnel in there since its where I do all the resin transfers too.

I'd gone a couple of weeks after printing the funnel, but checking back on it, the alcohol fumes and incomplete curing resulted in the entire funnel cracking along the surface into chunks attached to a slightly tacky interior. I'm not sure if curing longer would have helped. I did have the plastic spatula I got with my printer also in the tub, the fumes caused it to warp into a bendy non-spatula.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well crap....

My local Microcenter had just changed the layout of the store a bit and greatly expanded the 3d printer filament isle (putting it right at the front of the store even). In doing so they started stocking a lot more types and colors of filament. A lot of their newer filament is in green boxes with trees on the side.

I bought 3 rolls... Only to get home and find out they where spooless. You are meant to buy a empty reusable spool to put them on.

Guess I should have read the front of the box.

And of course they are not the "Master Spool" standard. The filament is actually eSun brand and it uses their standard spools, which are smaller.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

can you print a spool

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CommonShore posted:

Also can you tell me about some interesting non-novelty uses of a 3d printer beyond creating little toys and bits?
The main use of a 3D printer is to make parts and upgrades for your 3D printer. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you and/or themselves.

edit: Exhibit A

Synthbuttrange posted:

can you print a spool

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

can you print a spool

Yeah looks like I am going to go with this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2823667

You can swap the sides out with different sized inner hubs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bad Munki posted:

The main use of a 3D printer is to make parts and upgrades for your 3D printer. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you and/or themselves.

edit: Exhibit A

Actually my friend with the TEVO said more or less that.

Now how about ventillation? Is this serious rear end business? Or if I get one of these little starter ones am I just ok using it in a room with a major furnace intake? Or if I do that am I just gassing my whole house?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Finally started assembling track for the Kat 2X. Here are the 50something links, 100 bolts, and 200 drilled holes that make up one side:

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

jubjub64 posted:

I forgot to mention that I also did a Z-axis aligment command before printing. Between the Z alignment and the BLTouch bedlevling it should take care of all my issues I would think. It is weird, the first layer went down very well all over the printbed but it seems as the print went on there was some sort of squashing going on. I'm not sure how to test for that. I sent a support ticked to Tinymachines3D since I bought it from them. Maybe they will have some advice. Let me know if anybody thinks of something. Thanks.

What kind of tolerances are you expecting?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This shows my dancing hot bed issues pretty good, I reckon:

PETG on a hot bed on the right, PLA on a cold bed on the left.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

AgentCow007 posted:

What kind of tolerances are you expecting?

If you check my post from the last page the 20mm cube gets squashed down to 18.7mm on the z-axis. I'm not looking for perfection but I'd want to stay within 90-95% accuracy over the whole bed.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 7, 2020

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Double post

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 7, 2020

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

stevewm posted:

Well crap....

My local Microcenter had just changed the layout of the store a bit and greatly expanded the 3d printer filament isle (putting it right at the front of the store even). In doing so they started stocking a lot more types and colors of filament. A lot of their newer filament is in green boxes with trees on the side.

I bought 3 rolls... Only to get home and find out they where spooless. You are meant to buy a empty reusable spool to put them on.

Guess I should have read the front of the box.

And of course they are not the "Master Spool" standard. The filament is actually eSun brand and it uses their standard spools, which are smaller.

Nice I like eSun and have some of their spools already.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This shows my dancing hot bed issues pretty good, I reckon:

PETG on a hot bed on the right, PLA on a cold bed on the left.

I have nothing helpful to say other than you could make some neat lighting effects with those :v:

The spools I bought from 3DQF in the UK are pressed steel and card, fully recyclable. I thought that was a neat touch.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone know any stores (preferably brick and mortar but online would work) that carry xtc-3D? Excluding Amazon and the Smooth-On shop.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

EVGA Longoria posted:

Anyone know any stores (preferably brick and mortar but online would work) that carry xtc-3D? Excluding Amazon and the Smooth-On shop.

There’s a dealer locator on the SmoothOn site. I see 3 in my medium city.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

eddiewalker posted:

There’s a dealer locator on the SmoothOn site. I see 3 in my medium city.

Ah, I misunderstood the "Distributor" part of that. Looks like there's 1 in my city, pretty far away. Thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CommonShore posted:

Actually my friend with the TEVO said more or less that.

Now how about ventillation? Is this serious rear end business? Or if I get one of these little starter ones am I just ok using it in a room with a major furnace intake? Or if I do that am I just gassing my whole house?

No one knows for sure the long term effects, but the safe bet is an enclosure with ventilation to the exterior of your house.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Thermopyle posted:

No one knows for sure the long term effects, but the safe bet is an enclosure with ventilation to the exterior of your house.

It's a safe bet that it's at least as cancer-causing as anything you buy at the grocery store or clean your home with.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I finally finished the upgrade of my monoprice maker select v2.

-replaced the melzi with the skr v1.3
-tmc2208 drivers

Utterly amazing how quiet it is with the steppers over the stock. Print quality is VERY good, currently better than my sidewinder x1.

That said the y carriage is stupidly loud, even with repacked bearings. I think I’m going to design a new mount for the y carriage to move away from the LM8UU bearings.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I finally finished the upgrade of my monoprice maker select v2.

-replaced the melzi with the skr v1.3
-tmc2208 drivers

Utterly amazing how quiet it is with the steppers over the stock. Print quality is VERY good, currently better than my sidewinder x1.

That said the y carriage is stupidly loud, even with repacked bearings. I think I’m going to design a new mount for the y carriage to move away from the LM8UU bearings.

I'm looking to do this too, was there a guide you followed you could link me to?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It's a safe bet that it's at least as cancer-causing as anything you buy at the grocery store or clean your home with.

That's not what the best available evidence shows as has been discussed in here multiple times.

(to be clear, the best available evidence isn't great quality yet, but given the minimal costs involved and the potential benefits the cost/benefit means the safe bet is exterior ventilating)

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 8, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thermopyle posted:

That's not what the best available evidence shows as has been discussed in here multiple times.

(to be clear, the best available evidence isn't great quality yet, but given the minimal costs involved and the potential benefits the cost/benefit means the safe bet is exterior ventilating)

Can you provide a link to me about this best available evidence? I'm only just looking at getting into all of this stuff.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pro-tip: Spend a few bucks more and get 2209s instead of 2208s. They generate way less heat.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

jubjub64 posted:

I'm looking to do this too, was there a guide you followed you could link me to?

I used the site below as a loose guide, I’ll share my configuration files in a couple hours too as I used the latest bug fix of marlin. I’d suggest not using the PID values, just run a PID tuning after.

https://www.itsalllost.com/wanhao-i3-32bit-upgrade/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Can you provide a link to me about this best available evidence? I'm only just looking at getting into all of this stuff.

google 3d printer along with the terms UFP, VOC, particulates

The problem with the best available evidence is it's just measurements of how much stuff a particular 3d printer with a particular filament are spitting into the air in a particular environment. They haven't yet done health outcome studies of exposure for X period of time for the particular combinations of stuff being spit out by whichever printer and other variables.

Of course, there's health studies on ultra-fine particles, VOC's and other stuff but nothing about what exactly is coming out of a printer.

On top of all of those shortcomings, most exposure to those things are measured in fairly short timespans whereas a 3d printer is spitting that stuff out for hours or days at a time. 3d printers are fuckin' slow!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I did an effort post a couple of weeks ago on what available info there is. Dig back a ways in the thread and you'll find it. In a nutshell not much info.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone had any luck getting the BLTouch 3.1 to work with the Ender 3 Pro and Marlin 2? When I Z home it doesn’t recognize it’s hit the bed and just keeps trying to go down forever. The self test and commands work fine, and if I swap the Z probe wires it goes up forever instead of down.

Tried the Bugfix fork and TH3D firmware as well, but no joy.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, the money spent and effort in building the BLV Cube CoreXY is paying off:

Super happy with the print quality of these. PLA 0.2mm layer height at 60mm/s.
Looking forward to getting the new heated bed and getting some more advanced filaments going.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 9, 2020

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Dang, that turned out great!

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Anyone had any luck getting the BLTouch 3.1 to work with the Ender 3 Pro and Marlin 2? When I Z home it doesn’t recognize it’s hit the bed and just keeps trying to go down forever. The self test and commands work fine, and if I swap the Z probe wires it goes up forever instead of down.

Tried the Bugfix fork and TH3D firmware as well, but no joy.

See Configuration_adv.h section starting with #if ENABLED(BLTOUCH) for the extra BLTouch version settings.

Yes they work.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I haven't had a well functioning printer in nearly a year now

Today I built this

Just the skeleton for a small bed cantilever printer

I'll be very happy in a week or so when its churning out the odd benchy

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Pro-tip: Spend a few bucks more and get 2209s instead of 2208s. They generate way less heat.

2209s are 45mm ID 85MM OD Vs 2208s 40mm ID 80mm OD, they're both self aligning type, did you mean something different? All other things being equal one of these will not generate significantly more heat than the other.

Stepper drivers, not bearings, ignore me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

If you're into other new things, the Creality branded glass bed with the built in who knows what it is surface on it is incredibly good.
I went ahead and just swapped out the flex sheet for this. You were not kidding, that surface is almost too good! After having to smack a couple of prints with a screwdriver handle to remove them, I flipped it over and am just using the bare side with some hair spray. It's what I'm used to, I know it works every time, and I usually don't need tools to detach something. Still a lovely piece of glass though, 4mm thick and flat as flat can be. Combined with the stiffer bed springs, I don't foresee having to fiddle with leveling/tramming much at all down the road.