Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The thing dragging The Witcher 1 down was that before they did that enhanced edition or whatever it was called the game had a shitload of really long load times. The update reduced a lot of them to a split second.
Urgh don't remind me, I was playing it on a PC that could barely run it and was replaced entirely a few months later. Travelling to and from those loving swamps felt like it stole months of my life, I have no idea how I had the patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

What I don't get is why survival games can't have it just eat food automatically when my guy is hungry, and then tell me when I'm getting low on food. Do they think that requiring me to open my inventory and drag a meat icon onto my character portrait every three minutes adds to the immersion? You could put a readout on the UI that says how many days of food I have in my pack, ie an actually useful measurement, instead of a bar representing how much food is in my stomach which I have to babysit constantly.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Triarii posted:

What I don't get is why survival games can't have it just eat food automatically when my guy is hungry, and then tell me when I'm getting low on food. Do they think that requiring me to open my inventory and drag a meat icon onto my character portrait every three minutes adds to the immersion? You could put a readout on the UI that says how many days of food I have in my pack, ie an actually useful measurement, instead of a bar representing how much food is in my stomach which I have to babysit constantly.

I've been enjoying No Man's Sky for the most part, but the amount of "eating" you have to do in that game is definitely dragging it down for me. Every few minutes I have to refuel my life support, refuel my mining laser, refuel my weapon batteries and refuel my launch jets. The material used for fuel has been extremely common so far so it's not even a matter of scrabbling for survival, just babysitting a bunch of bars.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So basically like Tales games do it, but in a survival context.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Triarii posted:

It's because hunger and thirst are just a way of hiding the fact that you have no idea how to balance a game or design levels by making it so that people are too busy babysitting meters and navigating their inventory to notice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sometimes it even extends to the health bar itself. Terraria has a weird stupid design decision that restricts you from using multiple health items in a row- upon using a healing item you get a debuff called 'potion sickness' that prevents you from using any more healing items until it runs out (which is usually a full minute).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

Okay, so I've obviously been hitting DX:HR lately because I wanted to try to get a no-kill run in before Mankind Divided, but I realized halfway through the Sarif plant that my tranq rifle has been stone cold killing assholes about 50% of the time. Not cases like they were on something tall and rag dolled off when they fell asleep - I just checked a dude that I tagged in the leg with a dart as he was smoking a cigarette and he's dead on the ground where he stood.

How does that even happen?!
Cigarettes Kill

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CJacobs posted:

Sometimes it even extends to the health bar itself. Terraria has a weird stupid design decision that restricts you from using multiple health items in a row- upon using a healing item you get a debuff called 'potion sickness' that prevents you from using any more healing items until it runs out (which is usually a full minute).

Presumably that's to limit people chugging a thousand potions in combat and not dying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RyokoTK posted:

Presumably that's to limit people chugging a thousand potions in combat and not dying.

Why should they limit that? In the late game 2-3 hits from any enemy will kill you even in the best armor you can get. You need to heal after every hit you take and if you're in active combat with an enemy that is faster than you (as most of them are), you're just hosed. The potion debuff used to be like 5 seconds before they increased it to an entire minute.

edit: lol nice thread name change

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Aug 18, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CJacobs posted:

Why should they limit that? In the late game 2-3 hits from any enemy will kill you even in the best armor you can get. You need to heal after every hit you take and if you're in active combat with an enemy that is faster than you (as most of them are), you're just hosed. The potion debuff used to be like 5 seconds before they increased it to an entire minute.

I've never played more than like a half hour of Terraria despite owning it on four systems and counting, but I can say that Skyrim is worse for not having any kind of potion cooldown like that. I mean I know that it's an Elder Scrolls tradition that the player character can literally pause time and chug potions indefinitely, but Skyrim is the first time the games have come close to having a decent combat system and it's pretty goofy that there's no real tension to anything once you get Alchemy above 40 or so. If I had to choose in the heat of the moment whether to heal myself or increase my damage output or pump a resistance, knowing that whatever I choose is the only boost I could use for ten or fifteen seconds or so, it would add a hell of a lot to combat I feel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The problem is that your movement in Terraria is very slow and it's not like the game stops to wait for you when you chug a health potion. You're going to get hit in Terraria, no matter what, you cannot avoid damage. Even if you build a big giant series of platforms in the sky so you can move in all directions while fighting a boss, even if you have bat wings that let you infinitely fly. To remove your ability to heal after you recover from damage you cannot avoid is dumb.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The problem is more that Terraria is a bad game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Cigarettes Kill

congrats on becoming admin. ur star needs to be fixed, though.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Urgh don't remind me, I was playing it on a PC that could barely run it and was replaced entirely a few months later. Travelling to and from those loving swamps felt like it stole months of my life, I have no idea how I had the patience.

i already didn't like witcher 1's rhythm combat, but i especially disliked it against those swamp bugs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

congrats on becoming admin. ur star needs to be fixed, though.
I want to color Luma red, but the custom modstars are kind of weird in how they're coded, so it'll happen but not right away.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

It's because hunger and thirst are just a way of hiding the fact that you have no idea how to balance a game or design levels by making it so that people are too busy babysitting meters and navigating their inventory to notice.

In the games where they're done well, hunger and thirst are a way of elegantly forcing the player into more content. Roguelike and dungeon crawler games need to make sure the player keeps moving forward after clearing an area, rather than continuously resting to full stats. A slow but insistent drain on a primary resource with limited chances to refill it in a given area works- you can exhaust all the food on a given level, so you need to keep pushing onward into rougher territory, even if you're not quite feeling safe yet.

In a game with scarce resources and slow decay, like Pathologic, a chance to fill your meters feels like a massive reward. Resting in Pathologic feels genuinely relaxing, eating and watching the starvation meter clear feels filling. Low bars in that game are inevitable, but you can go a long time on hungry and tired, because the game is all about desperation and barely pulling through. With abundant resources, and rapid decay, filling the same meters the same ways feels like a chore.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hyrule Warriors: The quiz's loving suck. It'll say to kill a certain enemy and you'll have 2 spawn in, and its a bitch because they're both attacking you so you could be accidentally hitting the wrong one which might eventual result in you using a powerful attack and hitting them on accident and they wont have the life to survive it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leal posted:

Hyrule Warriors: The quiz's loving suck. It'll say to kill a certain enemy and you'll have 2 spawn in, and its a bitch because they're both attacking you so you could be accidentally hitting the wrong one which might eventual result in you using a powerful attack and hitting them on accident and they wont have the life to survive it.

use the hookshot

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ryoshi posted:

Jensen is not good at his job.
Well, that's pretty consistent throughout the game at least.

CJacobs posted:

You can kill several dozen people and still get the "I used restraint where necessary" version of the endings.

Ryoshi posted:

in my game I only killed a handful of people (about half the guards in the tutorial, the guys that raid the slums, and like two of the people attacking Malik that got caught in a bot explosion), and Jensen basically admitted to being robot Hitler.

CJacobs posted:

The ending narration is also incredibly buggy and usually gives you the wrong one because the ending of DXHR is awful and rushed in every way, which tbh is a thing dragging it down in its own way.
I've heard that it actually relates to side quests, not kills, which makes sense to me since got the "good guy" ending both times I played, and though I killed a shitload of people I did all the sidequests and mostly picked the nice options in them.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kazil posted:

I feel this way about almost every survival game. Hunger/thirst should be a limiting factor to how much you can do before you have to take care of your needs. It shouldn't be a dumb bar that you have to constantly babysit.
Some game magazine wrote an article on this.
It depends on the game but for the most part I believe Hunger/Thirst would work best when you get a boost from it. Keep them in check and you get a bonus to your Healing/Stamina/Whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Minecraft of all games works that way. At high/full hunger, you regenerate HP slowly. At low/empty hunger, your health drains to half the maximum (unless you're on a harder difficulty, where it drains until you've only got half a heart left or until you just die on hardmode).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tiggum posted:

Well, that's pretty consistent throughout the game at least.

I've heard that it actually relates to side quests, not kills, which makes sense to me since got the "good guy" ending both times I played, and though I killed a shitload of people I did all the sidequests and mostly picked the nice options in them.

I don't know about that, either - my final playtime on my first play through was absurd because I did absolutely everything I could find. But if my game has been glitching out this whole time and killing random people I hit with nonlethals it makes sense that I got the ending I did.

Another thing dragging down DX:hr: it seems to have a LOT more recycled areas than the first two games, like the Sarif plant where you end up navigating two completely identical assembly lines differentiated only by different vents blocked off with plates and giant crates (that you magically can't lift even with strength augs, despite them clearly being put there by the non-aug Purity First members) blocking a couple doors. It's really lazy. Even in Invisble War I don't remember much copy/paste content, and certainly not within the first hour of gameplay like that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, it happened, Micolash has caused my friend to drop Bloodborne. :smith:

For those that haven't played it, Micolash is the second-to-last boss in the whole game (excluding the two final bosses). In a game full of massive angry beasts and freaky otherworldy creatures that totally dwarf you in size, here's Micolash:

He's just a dude. A crazy dude wearing a cage on his head that has cthulu hands. And he is crazy hard. He has a lot of health, resists both elemental types of damage, and can kill you in one hit with his cthulu hand attack even if you have 30 vitality and are wearing the clothes with the highest physical/arcane defense in the whole game. It's absolute crap. He's just a dude!!

And this fucker has made my buddy so frustrated with Bloodborne's endgame enemy design (very high poise, does a huge amount of damage, has a lot of health) that he just quit and won't finish it. I'm really disappointed.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Tell your friend to try attacking Micolash instead. He is extremely easy to stagger and has no way to escape your wrath.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We were doing that, but bosses get more poise in co-op so he wasn't being staggered and could just cancel out of being staggered into his augur of ebrietas move, which kills either of us in 1 hit even if we're wearing the choir set. Especially me, it super kills me, because Bloodborne reduces your max HP in co-op by a very significant amount to the point where the endgame is completely unfair to the co-op partner (most attacks kill him in one hit as the host, any attack kills me in one hit as the partner).

edit: He didn't even get to the second phase, where Micolash starts using that homing laser attack move that is 100% bullshit and cannot be canceled no matter what

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Aug 18, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

He's just a dude. A crazy dude wearing a cage on his head that has cthulu hands. And he is crazy hard. He has a lot of health, resists both elemental types of damage, and can kill you in one hit with his cthulu hand attack even if you have 30 vitality and are wearing the clothes with the highest physical/arcane defense in the whole game. It's absolute crap. He's just a dude!!

One time when fighting Micolash he started casting that AOE explosion attack before I even finished dropping down to fight him. I died the moment I landed.

He was a lot easier this last run, where I had 50 vitality from doing the dlc instead, so it only did 60% of my hp immediately and let me heal. I had probably 25 or something the other times. Equipping the armor with the most arcane resist doesn't help at all either since it's all more or less cosmetic outside the status bar adjustments.

e: Wait do you mean the tentacle attack? That shouldn't be one-shotting anyone ever, it's relatively weak.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CJacobs posted:

We were doing that, but bosses get more poise in co-op so he wasn't being staggered and could just cancel out of being staggered into his augur of ebrietas move, which kills either of us in 1 hit even if we're wearing the choir set. Especially me, it super kills me, because Bloodborne reduces your max HP in co-op by a very significant amount to the point where the endgame is completely unfair to the co-op partner (most attacks kill him in one hit as the host, any attack kills me in one hit as the partner).

edit: He didn't even get to the second phase, where Micolash starts using that homing laser attack move that is 100% bullshit and cannot be canceled no matter what

Are you on NG+ for some reason? Even with the co-op penalty it shouldn't be one-shotting you. 30 Vitality is plenty to finish the main game and certainly he shouldn't be one-shotted by much of anything. I don't understand this experience at all.

His homing laser attack, A Call Beyond, you dodge forward through as he's casting it. But that one is pretty much fatal if you get caught out by it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got a bitchin' pirate skin for Torbjorn in Overwatch but I don't use Torbjorn. Give me junkrat skins you bastard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RyokoTK posted:

Even with the co-op penalty it shouldn't be one-shotting you.

Believe me, it is! It's very frustrating!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Aug 18, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I got a bitchin' goth skin for Zarya in Overwatch but I don't use Zarya. Give me American Mcree you bastard.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Well, it happened, Micolash has caused my friend to drop Bloodborne. :smith:

For those that haven't played it, Micolash is the second-to-last boss in the whole game (excluding the two final bosses). In a game full of massive angry beasts and freaky otherworldy creatures that totally dwarf you in size, here's Micolash:

And this fucker has made my buddy so frustrated with Bloodborne's endgame enemy design (very high poise, does a huge amount of damage, has a lot of health) that he just quit and won't finish it. I'm really disappointed.

Micolash has a lot of personality and my first encounter with him was chilling and memorable for his dialogue and the atmosphere alone, but he's not a good boss. Celestial Emissary and Living Failures aren't good either, but at least those fights are straightforward. Micolash isn't hard so much as he is tedious. If you only had to chase him through the maze once he wouldn't be so bad, but if you get unlucky and he decides to make A Call Beyond his first move when you drop into the final arena you'll probably have to redo the fight over again. He's not bad on NG but in NG+ and beyond his one-shot potential skyrockets.

He's not bad now that I realized he can't deal with you if you stay right up in his face and don't let him make distance, but I can definitely understand why a new player would become frustrated.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
American McCree better be a Tim Burtonesque Mad Hatter skin.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Action Tortoise posted:

American McCree better be a Tim Burtonesque Mad Hatter skin.

It is Mcree but he wears the American Flag as a poncho, and everything else is red/white/blue, including his gun

edit: his BAMF buckle is a USA buckle, too

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The skin exists for the name American McCree.

Which is fine, that's a great name.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
McCreevel Knievel.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Are you guys talking about a different Microlash because the one I fought was always a chump...

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Len posted:

I got a bitchin' Tricoloure skin for Widowmaker in Overwatch but I don't use Widowmaker. Give me Mercy skins you bastard.

Ad infinitum.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kazil posted:

Are you guys talking about a different Microlash because the one I fought was always a chump...

I find him pretty easy but like 1 in 3 times you fight him he'll one shot you with his homingu raiza.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

At least so far everything is cosmetic so when I get my poo poo pushed in it's at least by people just better than me.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

kazil posted:

No no he was real hard my fight went like
''Rom, grant us eyyyyyy-''
*HACK SLASH HACK SLASH*
*dies''

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Len posted:

At least so far everything is cosmetic so when I get my poo poo pushed in it's at least by people just better than me.

That's another point that drags OW down for me: I'm being matched with people who are so far beyond my level in QP that I might as well just sit in spawn and blow bubbles with my spit.

I just want to play fun shootmans and pretty dressup, but when the matchmaker decides that I'm apparently ready to take on someone who's ranked ~70 as an unranked player, I get a bit salty and frustrated.

...then I go play Crypt of the Necrodancer and my chill is restored.