Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I had that joystick when I was a kid (it's a Gravis Blackhawk)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'm the rental car

ufarn
May 30, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

Just build yourself a Trash Pro with the most recent intel processor and gpu

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mac-pro-late-2013-replica.120757/

i'll take my 3yo hardware and extortionately priced ram thank you very much

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

graph posted:

owned, enjoy your badphone

the bad phone came with the bad operating system, iOS 10. today is the loving worst

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

how the gently caress do i dismiss a notification. now it's a bubble instead of a long square and when i try to swipe it away it just stays there, being ugly. what the gently caress, apple

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

at least "maps destinations" is its own bubble that i can disable now, because i will never use apple maps again as long as i live

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's cool how any other company gets poo poo on for putting banner ads in their OS but apple gets away with it because they call them "siri app suggestions"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

apple is poo poo maybe buy a gun and "swipe" a decent phone

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the tactics of this leather case are amazing on my fingertips

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i do not think that word means what you think it means

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Blue Train posted:

apple is poo poo maybe buy a gun and "swipe" a decent phone

last i saw they're taking the security tethers off iphones at apple stores, you don't even need a gun

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i take it all back, ios 10 comes with new alarm sounds. thanks tim. i love you tim.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

nice! that's a much better solution if your home button breaks than using assistive touch. years ago i hosed up my 4s when i took a drunken dive down some nyc subway station stairs.

the physical home button was hosed and i had to use two taps with assistive touch to get the drat homescreen until i replaced it

maybe they should design the physical home button so it doesn't break so easy

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

it doesn't

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

GameCube posted:

how the gently caress do i dismiss a notification. now it's a bubble instead of a long square and when i try to swipe it away it just stays there, being ugly. what the gently caress, apple

Swipe up on the notification and it goes away.

If you're on the lock screen and you want to go into whatever app is showing the notification, swipe across it like always. Except now you have to swipe across the message part; if you swipe across the notification's title bar it won't work, which is dumb and I hope Apple fixes that soon.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

maybe they should design the physical home button so it doesn't break so easy

The iPhone 7's home button isn't an actual button anymore. The on-screen button is probably in case it detects the pressure sensor in the "button" is getting wonky.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hugephone7 working great and suiting all my needs thanks timb

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Doc Block posted:

Swipe up on the notification and it goes away.

If you're on the lock screen and you want to go into whatever app is showing the notification, swipe across it like always. Except now you have to swipe across the message part; if you swipe across the notification's title bar it won't work, which is dumb and I hope Apple fixes that soon.

nah i figured it out, i have to pull down on it and then swipe it up. in typical timapple fashion they cargo-culted windows 8 and hosed it up

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

GameCube posted:

it's cool how any other company gets poo poo on for putting banner ads in their OS but apple gets away with it because they call them "siri app suggestions"

tbh you can remove that dumbo widget but then again it also suggests apps you have at places you use them so wtf man

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

thanks apple for giving me just what i want when i want it

thapplentit

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

GameCube posted:

nah i figured it out, i have to pull down on it and then swipe it up. in typical timapple fashion they cargo-culted windows 8 and hosed it up

nah man, just flick it up and it goes away. if you pull down on it it brings up the whole little mini app thing (which you can then swipe up to make it go away).

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Clean shaven Riker is gross

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Doc Block posted:

nah man, just flick it up and it goes away. if you pull down on it it brings up the whole little mini app thing (which you can then swipe up to make it go away).

i would take a video of it failing to go away when i swipe it but that would require a complex array of mirrors so you're just going to have to listen and believe in this case

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

Clean shaven Riker is gross

:agreed:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah season one riker isn't even riker

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah season one riker isn't even riker

same, but inssurectin

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GameCube posted:

how is suggesting you use apps you have already downloaded and are on your phone even remotely analogous to banner ads?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"DURRR I CAN'T BELIEVE APPLE WOULD DARE TO SUGGEST I USE AN APP I ALREADY HAVE!!! THIS CAN'T STAND!!!'

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

here comes another Apple Boy Meltdown

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is this another case of "apple does poo poo we mocked samsung for three years ago, but now it's good"?

i don't know from suggestions, i've turned off basically everything in ios10. other than the dialer and safari softlocking and an intermittently unresponsive touchscreen it's fine i guess.

basically android tier poo poo at this point.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dollar-store poo poo, not even brand-name;

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Try Office 365!

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

what is apple's business plan for heathkit/researchkit? is it just incremental sales and increased vendor lock? the intersection of apple nerds and iphone havers that exercise and would use an app seems so small.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the massive aging boomer population pushing the medial wearables market through the roof.

it's not for you, it's for your 65 year old mom, so her doctor/PSW can track her stats

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

the massive aging boomer population pushing the medial wearables market through the roof.

it's not for you, it's for your 65 year old mom, so her doctor/PSW can track her stats

phase 2 is convincing mom to go in for alternative medicine for treatable cancer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

all fruit diet

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

exploding mummy posted:

phase 2 is convincing mom to go in for alternative medicine for treatable cancer

actually that's stage 4

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

infernal machines posted:

except that the medical community is starting to do actual studies on wearables and activity tracking and the results are generally "this is a waste of time and money". even when the devices are sufficiently accurate at measuring things to be relied upon for diagnosis or monitoring (which is pretty rare) it turns out that data dumping on people doesn't actually change their behavior and may make it worse (oh my Fitbit says I got my 10k steps, that means I can totally have some ice cream!)

I expect the trend of doctors recommending and health insurance companies paying for fitbits to end pretty soon. they will probably stick around in the marketplace but without the push from medical professionals they will be limited to the gullible and those who use them as fashion accessories to let everyone know how fitness focused they are. sure those are big markets but it isn't anywhere near the market penetration they are banking on.

the major exception is stuff designed by the likes of Medtronic which are built from the ground up to get useful information. but a $1500 continuous glucose monitor isn't something that people are going to buy unless they have to

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

• Locked thread