Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's really boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

It's probably the worst big budget movie ever made and can't even be enjoyed ironically unless you're a really dedicated contrarian.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Please probate yourself for this filth.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's only one thing I hate in that movie, the Robin/Ivy fight where they edit in reverse looped footage real bad. It's the laziest thing I've ever seen in a Schumaker film and I can't believe that made final cut.

Considering Batman Forever has a scene that is reverse looped footage of a vault sliding back into place, I think it's just sort of a signature thing for Schumaker Batman films.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was seven when Batman Returns came out. Penguin biting the guy's nose, and Catwoman tic tac toeing that dude's face scared me, but I loved the movie, and have been a Batman fan ever since.

That cat nibbling on Selina's finger kinda freaked me out too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you don't love Arnie as Freeze then I don't even want to know you

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ICE TO SEE YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhyno posted:

ICE TO SEE YOU

COOL PARTY!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You're what's wrong with America.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lurdiak posted:

YOU'RE NOT SENDING ME TO THE COOLER

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't like Batman and Robin but I'd watch it 10 times back to back before watching something like FF 2015 or Catwoman once more.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
idiot nerds are throwing around rumors of a Sentry movie coming to the MCU in the future :lol:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 27, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Race Realists posted:

idiot nerds a throwing around rumors of a Sentry movie coming to the MCU in the future :lol:

That Newspaper Spider-Man plot with Rocket and the Sentry would make for an amazing movie, true. They could probably make it work even though Ronan is dead.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

howe_sam posted:

That Newspaper Spider-Man plot with Rocket and the Sentry would make for an amazing movie, true. They could probably make it work even though Ronan is dead.

literally the only way i could see this working is if they made it an extremely toned down version of the FX legion show

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
90's batman movies had the best gotham,nolan really hosed that poo poo up and I ain't seen BvS so....

Cities made of giant muscley statues are the best.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

When I think about what Batman movie I would wanna sit down and rewatch over and over, the answer is always Batman Forever or Batman & Robin. They are ridiculous and it makes for a fun experience. I don't ever wanna watch the Nolan Batman movies again, but I will always be down to see bat-nipples.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Batman & Robin would be great if it was nothing but Mr. Freeze chilling out in his base annoying his henchmen with ice puns.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

90's batman movies had the best gotham,nolan really hosed that poo poo up and I ain't seen BvS so....

Cities made of giant muscley statues are the best.

Batman Begins had a nice, grimy, layered city. Then I guess they just bulldozed The Narrows. '90's Batman movies definitely had a more distinctive Gotham though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BiggerBoat posted:

So Batman 89's a no go for my six year old.

Scared the Christ out of him and I'd actually forgotten how violent it really was, at least on the front end. We made it about 1/4 of the way through. Shame because I was appreciating certain parts of it. But then again, also found myself recalling why I never cared for it that much.

What a really, really odd film that is.

It isn't a movie, but if you have a six year old that wants to watch Batman, and you aren't showing him The Animated Series, what the gently caress.

As for me I finally got around to watching GotG Vol. 2 tonight, and I really, really liked it. I love just how weird Marvel goes now, and the deep cuts they're willing to put to video.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Or Brave and the Bold

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'll give Batman and Robin credit for using vivid colours in a superhero which feels like something from 50 years ago at this point.

Changing the visual style of all these awful upcoming WB movies would also do a lot instead of this terrible Snyder aesthetic.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The nerd hyperbole around Batman and Robin being the Worst Movie Ever is frankly tiresome and ridiculous in a world that has since given us Halle Berry's Catwoman, several Fantastic Four movies, and Elektra.

It's also horseshit because I was around when Batman Forever was in theaters, and guess what - that one was just as silly but it was a massive hit that everybody loved.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

ICE TO SEE YOU

TO SEE YOU ICE

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Batman Forever is weird to me because it's a lot lighter hearted than the previous two but is still keeping one foot in that darker aesthetic.

So it flips flops crazily between the Riddler jumping around in a leotard, and Bruce Wayne freaking out and tripping out over haunting visions of Bats and gunfire.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

purple death ray posted:

The nerd hyperbole around Batman and Robin being the Best Movie Ever is frankly tiresome and ridiculous in a world that has since given us The Dark Knight, several Captain America movies, and Guardians.

This thread right now.

Y'all should probably sit down and watch Returns, Forever, and then & Robin in a row. There's a pretty obvious and steady decline.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Soul Glo posted:

It isn't a movie, but if you have a six year old that wants to watch Batman, and you aren't showing him The Animated Series, what the gently caress.

Oh, he's seen those. I thing he's more of a Spiderman guy right now.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, he's seen those. I thing he's more of a Spiderman guy right now.

Hope it doesn't give him neogenic nightmares (part 94).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm actually glad to hear that. I called Spider-Man an icon on the level of Batman and Superman once and I remember several friends laughing. This was before Homecoming, so casual opinion of Spidey was quite low. Spider-Man is awesome, drat it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
He is not on this mythological status that Batman and Superman are but he sure as hell is a standout hero, even before his movies came out. As far as common knowledge goes, I'd say he was on the same level as Wolverine and Hulk, they all had cartoons or series to boost their status.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I thought Spider-man was the most popular superhero behind Batman for a long while

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought Spider-man was the most popular superhero behind Batman for a long while

I'd easily slot him at #3 as far as sheer recognition goes being Superman and Batman. He's far and away Marvel's most iconic character.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

This thread right now.

Y'all should probably sit down and watch Returns, Forever, and then & Robin in a row. There's a pretty obvious and steady decline.

Nah, if anything, there's a pretty steady improvement.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Batman and Robin is firmly in the "so bad it's good category"; like ripe for the Rifftrax/MST treatment. I watch it now again for the sheer lunacy of it. It's better than stuff like Green Lantern and FF which are are just "boring bad' and not funny. B&R is so over the loving top and there's so much scenery being chewed it's incredible.

After watching Batman 89 again, I think you could make a good play out of it. Has there ever been a Batman play?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yea, that was my thought too. Kids love Spider-man.

I remember loving Batman 89, I also remember being bored to death by Batman Returns.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Batman and Robin is firmly in the "so bad it's good category"; like ripe for the Rifftrax/MST treatment. I watch it now again for the sheer lunacy of it. It's better than stuff like Green Lantern and FF which are are just "boring bad' and not funny. B&R is so over the loving top and there's so much scenery being chewed it's incredible.

After watching Batman 89 again, I think you could make a good play out of it. Has there ever been a Batman play?

I believe there was one seriously talked up to be roughly based on the 1989 movie, like they wrote songs and everything, but it fell through. Probably for the best considering what happened to that Spider-Man show.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

catlord posted:

Batman & Robin would be great if it was nothing but Mr. Freeze chilling out in his base annoying his henchmen with ice puns.

Batman Begins had a nice, grimy, layered city. Then I guess they just bulldozed The Narrows. '90's Batman movies definitely had a more distinctive Gotham though.

Yeah begins definitely had the best gotham of the trilogy but in saying that I think ledgers joker fits in perfectly with TDK's scenery so much that I can't imagine it any other way.

TDKR should have upped the comicbookness 500% in all aspects from costumes to the way it was filmed but it didn't,it's just a more boring version than TDK.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BiggerBoat posted:

Jim Steinmen tried to get one made, but it fell through; one of the songs was reused for Bat Out of Hell III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M10ZxMIBiz0

Then of course we have this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p02DfyzCE

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This was going to be one of the Joker's songs.

I remember there was a "Batman Live" show that toured arenas a few years back.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHY9USNC_Fk

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

BiggerBoat posted:

https://youtu.be/K2p02DfyzCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ufarn posted:

I'll give Batman and Robin credit for using vivid colours in a superhero which feels like something from 50 years ago at this point.

Changing the visual style of all these awful upcoming WB movies would also do a lot instead of this terrible Snyder aesthetic.

Yeah more red would fix all the script issues.

• Locked thread