Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
The issue with serious Sam in mixed reality is the frame rate. For some reason, it's unplayable even with a GTX1080. I purchased the croteam bundle on steamVR and the Talos principle works perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

I mean yeah, you can get piles of Windows Mixed Reality headsets for cheap on eBay, here's four Dell hedsets, with controllers, for $230 shipped each: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Visor-Virtual-Mixed-Reality-Headset-With-Controllers-Windows-PCs-VRP100/192429870517

I still don't think it's a good value for $200 vs a Rift for $400 for general gaming, but if you're (A) legit poor or (B) some kind of dev, or mobile-demoing VR to people, then I guess it's OK

Holy moly did they bomb though, all the Windows Mixed Reality are flooding eBay at half MSRP since a month in, this is like Zune bad. After my experience getting it to run, I'd say they deserve it.
The Odyssey is like $700 on ebay, if at all available. I've been meaning to get it from before Vive Pro was announced but it seems that I'll still have to wait.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So what's the difference between VR and Mixed Reality?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

"Mixed reality" is a term that encompasses the whole spectrum of VR and AR devices and generally anything that involves both aspects of the real world and aspects of a virtual world simultaneously.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

However the Windows Mixed Reality headsets specifically are poorly named and are just VR headsets.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Truga posted:

Man, I saw this was on sale recently and didn't get it because i have enough of a backlog, but now one of my non-vr friends that also wants to play it noticed it's playable without vr now and that sucks cause we'd play it a lot together.

Good news, it's a weekend deal.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Speaking of weekend deals, From other Suns is on a free weekend starting tonight.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Gort posted:

VR is the industry standard term that's been used for any non-AR system designed for virtual reality.

MR is some Microsoft PR Executive's attempt at being different and edgy.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So rec room allows shared ownership of custom rooms now - anyone want to set up an SA room? I don't even know what you can do with them tbh

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

From Other Suns is fun... I've not yet actually beaten it. Could certainly use more Oculus friends.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Phuzun posted:

From Other Suns is fun... I've not yet actually beaten it. Could certainly use more Oculus friends.

If it works with Revive I might pick it up.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Seconding the enjoyment of From Other Suns. It has a bit of borderlands with its multiple different guns (and stats) and a lot of FTL. I've only played for a couple hours in single player and I can see it being more fun with friends as well.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Phuzun posted:

Hi. I am Bum the Sad. I would like to play a game. My name is Bum_the_Sad in the land of Oculus.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 18, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mixed Reality is the accepted term for all forms of computer-enhanced realities.

Microsoft named the headsets "Mixed Reality" not because they're some sort of mixed reality, but because they intend for this to be the start of OS-level support for all these reality headsets, virtual or otherwise. It's...just fairly misleading, because the average consumer only knows of Virtual Reality, and maybe Augmented Reality, both as individual and separate things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_reality

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Did any of the goons at CES get to try the Tobii modded Vive with eye tracking? If so how was it, did it actually have foveated rendering?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

~*Augmented Virtuality*~

By William Gibson

Seashell Salesman posted:

Did any of the goons at CES get to try the Tobii modded Vive with eye tracking? If so how was it, did it actually have foveated rendering?

Yes, it works pretty well, not perfect yet but drat solid. I would love to have it for menus in FO4vr or any other RPG.

FOVeation was there too, but it has a catch 22... Save rendering power and be able to use cheaper video cards for VR by spending the equivalent of a VR ready graphics card on eye tracking.

That said I do understand the benefits and was excited to see it in action. It's pretty subtle. They turned it on then locked it so you could look around at the stuff that wasn't rendering. Then turn it back on and it instantly cleared up wherever you were looking.

Not flawlessly, but definitely usable. Then again the mantra of CES is 'Hardware without software is dead' so many devices that won't see support.

If Tobii wants to make their great tech supported, the eye tracking will need to become bundled with headsets.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 19, 2018

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
That's awesome! Gives me hope that it could be a gen2 feature.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I don't see that tech as being for making lower end cards capable of performing, but for making higher end cards perform better. That solves the catch 22 but narrows the market.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

If it works with Revive I might pick it up.

Benefits a lot from a mic, if you're new and don't know the game.

Bum the Sad posted:

Hi. I am Bum the Sad. I would like to play a game. My name is Bum_the_Sad in the land of Oculus.

I'll add you, though I won't be playing until tomorrow or the weekend.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
You guys should use the #lookingforgames or whatever channel in the discord. I have bridge crew and FoS and poo poo.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't see that tech as being for making lower end cards capable of performing, but for making higher end cards perform better. That solves the catch 22 but narrows the market.

Narrows down an already narrow niche market.

I still think we need Gen 2 and a new Gen of video cards. Not for the Gen 2 units' sake though. We need Gen 1 units bundled with acceptable VR PCs for $1k - $1.2k to get the market moving.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

PenisMonkey posted:

You guys should use the #lookingforgames or whatever channel in the discord. I have bridge crew and FoS and poo poo.

There hadn't been a message in there since December 30th

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I have co-worker who wound up with a spare HP Mixed Reality headset and was selling it for $200. I figured it would at least be a good way to dip my tow into VR and I can't say I regret it at all. Maybe I'm missing something offered by other headsets but I don't have many complaints. It was easy to set up, the graphics are plenty good, and the tracking works great. Well it works great most of the time, loses track of a controller now and then but it's nowhere close to being game breaking. My only real complaint is the lack of games at the moment compared to Vive and Oculus.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bum the Sad posted:

hence why it needs more use

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I have co-worker who wound up with a spare HP Mixed Reality headset and was selling it for $200. I figured it would at least be a good way to dip my tow into VR and I can't say I regret it at all. Maybe I'm missing something offered by other headsets but I don't have many complaints. It was easy to set up, the graphics are plenty good, and the tracking works great. Well it works great most of the time, loses track of a controller now and then but it's nowhere close to being game breaking. My only real complaint is the lack of games at the moment compared to Vive and Oculus.

Are there really so many Steam games that don't work on WMR?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Seashell Salesman posted:

Are there really so many Steam games that don't work on WMR?

In my experience they all do, even if they don't list as compatible with WMR. The one that I was sad, then happy about was Star Trek: Bridge Commander. Wasn't listed as WMR compatible but worked perfectly.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

SpartanIV posted:

In my experience they all do, even if they don't list as compatible with WMR. The one that I was sad, then happy about was Star Trek: Bridge Commander. Wasn't listed as WMR compatible but worked perfectly.

I'll have to try out a few then.

Speaking of Star Trek are there any microphones that would well with a VR headset? The only microphone I have is attached to a big clunky pair of headphones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Vive and Rift both have microphones, but not very good ones.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah, there is a channel to put your profile info in and get others. I've got several games on both Oculus and Steam.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Speaking of Star Trek are there any microphones that would well with a VR headset? The only microphone I have is attached to a big clunky pair of headphones.

I use a wireless Logitech G930 headset but it's a terrible headphone set that has constant connection problems and I hate it, but it does fit comfortably over the VR headset.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Played some more of From Other Suns tonight, and I have to complain about the weapon switching a bit. It's definitely not the most intuitive system, and trying to fumble with it when both your guns are out of ammo and you have a big rear end alien a foot away from your face beating the poo poo out of you gets your loving heart pumping. Still think it's a fun game though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I use a pair of these

http://amzn.to/2DNqq1B

Really enjoy them. I think SAQ recently just picked up a mod mic and uses the built in rift headphones still.

I had the non pros before these. I liked em enough I bought the new ones. Battery is insane, range is nuts, sounds pretty drat good. 7.1 is "spot on" for directional. 80 bucks on sale atm.

SpartanIV posted:

I use a wireless Logitech G930 headset but it's a terrible headphone set that has constant connection problems and I hate it, but it does fit comfortably over the VR headset.

If you've got 80 bucks to piss away, The corsairs will make you really happy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cojawfee posted:

The Vive and Rift both have microphones, but not very good ones.

My Rift mic sounds really nice.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

My Rift mic sounds really nice.

I’m a breathy mess with it. My nose is constantly stuffy and yeah had to use a headset mic. :(

It also seemed to be way too sensitive and picked up all kinds of background noise.

I also have a giant head. Which does not help the breathy part at all.

Holy poo poo through its light years ahead of the vives. Wow that things bad.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Man, OrbusVR is really fun, it kinda gives off an 'early access' feel but learning the classes feels very rewarding and engaging. :)

I finished the questline to give you access to the wizard class today but it turns out I'm complete poo poo at drawing spells in the air.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
From the news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3V0aw-ljEg

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yikes, that sucks for everyone involved. Everyone want to help but there's nothing they can do. I hope the guy was alright.

E: YouTube description says he is fine and he gave permission to upload the video.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Every VR Chat video I see just looks like a nightmare world. If there were a hell, that's how I would imagine it.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I've been working through my backlog lately, and have been having a blast for the most part! I was pleasantly surprised by a few games I didn't expect a ton from:

GORN has gotten so many updates since I first played it that it's like a whole new game. Awesomely fun, and at the same time very nerve-wracking in regards to trying not to destroy my house while playing.

IronWolf VR seems pretty great. I've only done the first couple missions, but the immersion and interactivity are pretty awesome - I hope the later missions ramp up the pace a bit and I'd love to try multiplayer.

Flappy Arms I got for free. Not a very engaging (or good) game, but I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't make me sick, which I was almost sure it was gonna do after watching the preview video.

King Kaiju - I wanted to like this game at least a little bit, but the lack of stuff to do besides grab and throw makes it pretty lovely. I felt like I was awkwardly bending down constantly, and having no fun while doing so. If it had feet tracking or something maybe it would be better?

Fruit Ninja VR Surprisingly polished! Nice graphics and simple but fun gameplay. It's pretty much only front facing, but honestly I think it would be way worse and frustrating if it was full 360. No regrets getting this one on sale - it'll definitely go into my "demo for people new to VR" rotation.

Old Friend A cartoony 360 music video - pretty nifty as a one-off experience. No interaction at all besides dancing around with VR noodle arms, but a neat time nonetheless. Another one that I'll be adding to my demo rotation.

Stand Out I don't know about this one. Seems like full-on jank city; terrible graphics (not just resolution, but super sloppy models in general), janky gameplay. I didn't see anywhere to switch to Vive wand layout for the controls, so I didn't have a good grasp on how to do stuff. Quickly found and loaded a gun, fumbled around trying to get it to fire, and got shot in the face and killed while some extremely low poly player screamed "loving bitch" in my face.

Form Beautiful and well polished experience - like playing "The Room" puzzle box game in VR. It's short - under an hour - but totally worth it. I really wish they expanded it out into a longer experience!

Rez Infinite Very cool version of Rez. I don't love the controls for the classic levels - they basically use the controller as a mouse, but they are still pretty fun. The made-for-VR level (Area X) is pretty amazing, as it gives you more direct motion aiming, and takes you off the rails and lets you fly around freely. It left me a little wobbly by the end of it from soaring around in 3d, but was totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SpartanIV posted:

Yikes, that sucks for everyone involved. Everyone want to help but there's nothing they can do. I hope the guy was alright.

That sucks but I feel like we missed the meme of a lifetime if only he had been the guy in the underwear instead of a gundam.