Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

It should all be done in a widely-used library that someone else wrote (like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrypt) so you don't have the chance to screw up your own implementation.

There are higher-level libraries like libsodium which are even harder to gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
If you have a website with a login page, all information should be going over https, right?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Stinky_Pete posted:

If you have a website with a login page, all information should be going over https, right?

Fixed that for you.

I mean, doing everything over HTTPS does add overhead as you have to spend the cycles on encrypting things, but hey, if it's good enough for Google...

More seriously, make certain at the very least that the login page's form target is https, as are all pages behind the login page. Probably good from a UI standpoint to make the login page itself be served over https so the user sees their browser's "this page is secure" indicator.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
It does technically add overhead but the overhead is so negligible it will not even register a blip on most production clusters.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Fixed that for you.

I mean, doing everything over HTTPS does add overhead as you have to spend the cycles on encrypting things, but hey, if it's good enough for Google...

More seriously, make certain at the very least that the login page's form target is https, as are all pages behind the login page. Probably good from a UI standpoint to make the login page itself be served over https so the user sees their browser's "this page is secure" indicator.

It's basically a requirement from a security point of view to have the login page on https - while there isn't any information being transmitted unsecurely, https also ensures the website is unmodified. If you can change the login page, you can redirect the post output (or send it to multiple places) and steal the user / password that way.

http://www.stealmylogin.com/ explains how this could work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

robostac posted:

It's basically a requirement from a security point of view to have the login page on https - while there isn't any information being transmitted unsecurely, https also ensures the website is unmodified. If you can change the login page, you can redirect the post output (or send it to multiple places) and steal the user / password that way.

http://www.stealmylogin.com/ explains how this could work.

Ah ha, good call. I guess the lesson here is "never trust non-HTTPS content" (which is not the same thing as "trust HTTPS content" of course). Thanks for the correction.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't have access to our live environment but I assume it is https.

I really hope it is. :ohdear:

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Can anyone suggest any resources/online courses for QA/software testers (we usually handle web and mobile design) both free or paid, basics and advanced?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sab669 posted:

Ah, I misspoke -- I didn't mean client side like JavaScript but if you had a thick client where a lot of the work is done on their machine, whether it be C# or Java or some other compiled language.

In the specific case of my company, the server-side C# code passes it in plaintext to the DB (which I think resides on a different network, but I'm honestly not sure) which then encrypts it.

And looking over our encryption procedure I'm a little concerned about its quality :( but it's been like it is for god-knows how long and it's not going to get changed any time soon either.

A thick client on a really locked-down corporate environment might be OK handling password hashing... until someone get phished. So it's still not a great idea. The client really should use TLS, even on an internal network, but making the DB do it (if it's doing it at all!) is mainly a performance concern.

Sedro posted:

There are higher-level libraries like libsodium which are even harder to gently caress up

Forgot about that :tipshat:

But only because .Net has nice user managmenet that mostly Just Works so I haven't had to think about it in quite a while :)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

nielsm posted:

The "blas" package contains the dynamically linked runtime libraries. You need this to run a program that links dynamically against BLAS.
The "blas-devel" package contains the headers required to compile a program against the BLAS library. Only required to compile programs, not to run them.
The "blas-static" package contains libraries for linking statically to, when compiling programs. Only required to compile programs, not to run them.

If you don't know the difference between static and dynamic linking, you should read up on that.
The simplified version is, static linking includes the complete code of the library into the main executable for the program. The static library is only required during build. Dynamic linking only inserts a reference to the library files and function names during build, and the OS loader then builds an in-memory image combining the main binary and the dynamic libraries. The dynamic libraries are required both during build and during runtime.

Jsor posted:

It depends to some degree on the exact build environment. A lot of C or C++ programs/libraries tend to require headers naming the BLAS functions they're linking to and need devel. You could specify or package in your own BLAS headers, of course, when distributing your library's source. This is also kind of how Python's C FFI bindings work, where you have to manually specify the functions signatures in Python, meaning you only need the .dll/.so/.dylib/.a file because you're essentially providing your own header and it's simply searching for the functions in the library at link time (when you call cdll.LoadLibrary generally). Rust's FFI works similarly.

In most cases, anything you find in yum/pacman/apt-get will be linked dynamically, but there are exceptions, hence why the static variant often gets a special listing.

Also, for BLAS specifically probably build OpenBLAS yourself. The one on apt-get tends to have iffy performance.

Depends on the environment I think. I've certainly had programs succeed at building when I had a malformed or misplaced dll/so, but then die at runtime.

Thanks you two. I'm from an aero/mech engineering background now doing a lot of HPC stuff. It's just I've always worked with proprietary/in house codes so there's never been an instance where I didn't need to (re)compile my code so the whole splitting of blas and blas-devel is new to me, though I get it now.

About the compiling OpenBLAS myself:

In general I always heard that this was a bad idea to use your own compiled software vs getting it from a package manager? I mean I have nothing to back this up or know where I even heard this from. It's just always been one of those "things" I've heard. Have I been completely misguided this entire time?

I know that compiling OpenBLAS myself and throwing it into /usr/lib64 or whatever is a bad idea but I thought that kind of extended to "compiling OpenBLAS yourself when it's available in the package manager for your distribution is a bad idea as well because ______." I mean if that's not the case then why should I not compile my own gcc/gfortran with "-O2 -march=native" and then use that to compile my own OpenBLAS, mpich, boost, etc. etc, and throw it all into ~/home/local/ ?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
When it comes to optimization algorithms, what's a good place to build base knowledge?

I have a EE/engineering background but looking at grad school options for operations research and it seems like optimization is a big part of this field.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Howard Phillips posted:

When it comes to optimization algorithms, what's a good place to build base knowledge?

I have a EE/engineering background but looking at grad school options for operations research and it seems like optimization is a big part of this field.

Are we talking optimization in the sense of "here's a function, find the inputs to the function that yield the highest/lowest value"? Or are we talking like "make this function run as fast as possible"? Because the two are very different.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are we talking optimization in the sense of "here's a function, find the inputs to the function that yield the highest/lowest value"? Or are we talking like "make this function run as fast as possible"? Because the two are very different.

If someone's looking at grad school in OR, it's pretty obviously the first sense.

Optimization is really its own field, and it's not something that's easy to pick up on your own without taking a class. It's not generally taught in any real detail at the undergraduate level because the math requirements are a little too strict, so most programs won't assume that you're coming in with any significant background. As long as you have enough math and a good application otherwise, you'll be fine at the master's level. PhD programs are a different animal entirely.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Yeah more of the former. I guess the big application for optimization applications or processes in OR is helping humans make better decisions with either a known data or a potentially unknown condition or parameter.

Has vast commercial and government applications. Seems to be a growth field as far as back end development niche area.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

Maybe browse through something like: http://stanford.edu/~boyd/cvxbook/ ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a general design pattern for building a simple database query interface?

My thinking is start the select with all the fields possible, the build up a WHERE by going through the input fields. Maybe have an array that lists which comparison you are going to use, LIKE (for strings), = (for numbers) < or > (for dates or numbers)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a general design pattern for building a simple database query interface?

My thinking is start the select with all the fields possible, the build up a WHERE by going through the input fields. Maybe have an array that lists which comparison you are going to use, LIKE (for strings), = (for numbers) < or > (for dates or numbers)

might want to be a bit more granular with the date field, or just use a picker, otherwise you're going to have to deal with different formatting

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

JawKnee posted:

might want to be a bit more granular with the date field, or just use a picker, otherwise you're going to have to deal with different formatting

It would be a picker - I just made a form up to screenshot it

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm trying to debug a Google Sheets script custom function.

It's kind of infuriating because you can't log from these functions. However, I can call an url. Can anyone think of any web services which can take a message as a query parameter and let me access the messages as a log? I don't even care if it's secure, but if it is, it needs to take an API key as query string as I can't set headers or anything.

edit: obviously I could write something myself fairly trivially, but....:effort:

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 22, 2016

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thermopyle posted:

I'm trying to debug a Google Sheets script custom function.

It's kind of infuriating because you can't log from these functions.

Why can't you log from those functions? They have a Logger class:
https://developers.google.com/apps-script/reference/base/logger

EDIT: or if you want to just log to a spreadsheet, use BetterLog:
https://sites.google.com/site/scriptsexamples/custom-methods/betterlog

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ulmont posted:

Why can't you log from those functions? They have a Logger class:
https://developers.google.com/apps-script/reference/base/logger

EDIT: or if you want to just log to a spreadsheet, use BetterLog:
https://sites.google.com/site/scriptsexamples/custom-methods/betterlog

Custom functions can't log when used in a spreadsheet (only when run from the script editor), and BetterLog doesn't work in custom functions either because custom functions are run as an anonymous user.

I'm having a weird issue where the function works in the script editor but not in the sheet.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
So, I'm doing an SQL project for class and I just wanted to make sure my code is correct. Is this code right?

code:
CREATE TABLE Customer (
        	CID CHAR(15) PRIMARY KEY,
        	C_F_Name VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
        	C_L_Name VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
        	Gender CHAR(1) NOT NULL,
        	DOB DATE NOT NULL,
        	ADID_C CHAR(15) NOT NULL,
        	Email VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL,
        	Moblie CHAR(20) NOT NULL,
        	OID_C CHAR(15) NOT NULL,
        	CCID_C CHAR(15) NOT NULL,
        	TID_C CHAR(15) NOT NULL,
        	Accomidations VARCHAR(40) NOT NULL,
        	CONSTRAINT FOREIGN KEY(ADID_C,OID_C,CCID_C,TID_C),
        	CONSTRAINT ADID_C_FK
        		    	FOREIGN KEY (ADID_C)  	
        		    	REFERENCES Address(ADID)      	
        		    	ON DELETE CASCADE,
        	CONSTRAINT OID_C_FK
        		    	FOREIGN KEY (OID_C)     	
        		    	REFERENCES Orders(OID) 
        		    	ON DELETE CASCADE,
        	CONSTRAINT CCID_C_FK
        		    	FOREIGN KEY (CCID_C)  	
        		    	REFERENCES Credit_Card(CCID)  
        		    	ON DELETE CASCADE,
        	CONSTRAINT TID_C_FK
        		    	FOREIGN KEY (TID_C)     	
        		    	REFERENCES Ticket(TID)	
        		    	ON DELETE CASCADE
);

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Unless you're speaking some foreign language, "Moblie" and "Accomidations" are misspelled field names, better fix those before someone else ridicules you. Also consider whether those extremely abbreviated field names are really worth the minuscule savings in typing over the large gains you could have in code readability/maintainability.
If I was grading a project, I'd deduct points for that sort of naming.

Remember that double quotes can be used to quote identifiers such as field names, letting you use names that would otherwise clash with reserved words too.

As for the syntax, if your DBMS eats it, it should be fine? It's not how I usually write foreign key constraints but I think yours is ANSI SQL compliant.
Except, I'm not sure what this declaration is supposed to do:
CONSTRAINT FOREIGN KEY(ADID_C,OID_C,CCID_C,TID_C)
Do you really need that? I mean, you declare all those as foreign keys anyway.

Why are your record ID's of CHAR type instead of INTEGER type? Good practice is to either use auto-incrementing ID numbers for records, or use auto-generated GUIDs for them. (Only use GUIDs if your DBMS has a native GUID data type.)

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

nielsm posted:

Unless you're speaking some foreign language, "Moblie" and "Accomidations" are misspelled field names, better fix those before someone else ridicules you. Also consider whether those extremely abbreviated field names are really worth the minuscule savings in typing over the large gains you could have in code readability/maintainability.
If I was grading a project, I'd deduct points for that sort of naming.

Remember that double quotes can be used to quote identifiers such as field names, letting you use names that would otherwise clash with reserved words too.

As for the syntax, if your DBMS eats it, it should be fine? It's not how I usually write foreign key constraints but I think yours is ANSI SQL compliant.
Except, I'm not sure what this declaration is supposed to do:
CONSTRAINT FOREIGN KEY(ADID_C,OID_C,CCID_C,TID_C)
Do you really need that? I mean, you declare all those as foreign keys anyway.

Why are your record ID's of CHAR type instead of INTEGER type? Good practice is to either use auto-incrementing ID numbers for records, or use auto-generated GUIDs for them. (Only use GUIDs if your DBMS has a native GUID data type.)

Thank you

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Looking over my oldest questions on Stack Overflow this morning. I started asking questions on there within months of the site opening in 2008 and it's funny how wet behind the ears I was

Funnily enough one of my highest rated questions is one of those newbie questions from 8 years ago and it still continually racks up votes.

I find myself not asking questions on there nowadays because my questions are usually a little more...specialized? I dunno how to describe the nature of the questions exactly but once I started asking questions that would get zero answers I kind of stopped trying to even ask.

I guess my question is: does this mirror anyone else's experience or did I just get bad at asking questions?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Thermopyle posted:

Looking over my oldest questions on Stack Overflow this morning. I started asking questions on there within months of the site opening in 2008 and it's funny how wet behind the ears I was

Funnily enough one of my highest rated questions is one of those newbie questions from 8 years ago and it still continually racks up votes.

I find myself not asking questions on there nowadays because my questions are usually a little more...specialized? I dunno how to describe the nature of the questions exactly but once I started asking questions that would get zero answers I kind of stopped trying to even ask.

I guess my question is: does this mirror anyone else's experience or did I just get bad at asking questions?

stack overflow is pretty bad for anything that reasonable documentation couldn't answer trivially. forums and user groups have been much better for less trivial or more specialized things in my experience.

though the private clones of it some middleware providers have can be good for questions on their middleware.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah that's also my experience with SO, asking questions that require real analysis and deep understanding usually doesn't give any answers, or only very poor answers. The format is somewhat bad for questions that need further clarification too, since you only get the comments that don't seem to be suited to thorough questions.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
StackOverflow is a giant sociology experiment to find out that, yes, when you incentivize people with achievements and points, they will put in the minimum effort to get those things, at the expense of actually being useful.

And since you give the people that do the bare minimum power, of course they use it to mark every question ever as a duplicate, even if it's clearly not, because they're not willing to put in the effort to find out if it's actually a duplicate, and it's quicker than writing an answer for the same number of points.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You seem bitter. I've gotten good use out of SO, both for searching for solutions to problems other people have had and for asking questions that haven't been asked before. It's not as good as good documentation, but sometimes that documentation isn't available, and rarely you encounter an issue that doesn't have an obvious/documented solution but does have a well-known-to-insiders solution.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm running some CUDA code on my GPU and sometimes it completes successfully and other times it fails with an "unknown" CUDA error, even though it's the same exact code running. What could be causing these weird failures? I'm guessing it might have something to do with the GPU overheating, since I know that if the GPU overheats when playing games weird artifacts could appear in the game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
SO is fantastic for "beginner questions" that are relatively trivial for someone who already has a deep knowledge of the problem domain to see what the issue is. The gamification really encourages those domain experts to churn through those problems and provide answers quickly.

It's way less useful once your question requires actual effort to answer, because most people (even if they are domain experts) move on to easier questions instead of bothering.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

qkkl posted:

I'm running some CUDA code on my GPU and sometimes it completes successfully and other times it fails with an "unknown" CUDA error, even though it's the same exact code running. What could be causing these weird failures? I'm guessing it might have something to do with the GPU overheating, since I know that if the GPU overheats when playing games weird artifacts could appear in the game.

Are you running the exact same code on different inputs? How about other applications running at the same time? That's all I can think of, like maybe t's running out of resources sometimes, though I would expect a known error message for that

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, I don't ask many questions on SO. Generally I find most of what I need doing documentation searches or experimenting myself. I have asked questions on SO when I've spent a very long time looking for an answer, or if all the documentation is outdated, but usually I end up getting a well upvoted question with no answer, or an extremely poor answer. The only times I get a good answer tend to be times where the answer is "this is a consequence of a known issue <link to bug tracker>" explaining why I couldn't figure it out, because it wasn't working as intended.

If I'm looking for something I don't entirely understand but probably could find eventually, but I need it answered quickly, I tend to just ask here because I won't get closed as duplicate/vague and downvoted into oblivion because I didn't guess the magic words I needed to find the answer to a poorly asked question from 3 years ago.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 26, 2016

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stinky_Pete posted:

Are you running the exact same code on different inputs? How about other applications running at the same time? That's all I can think of, like maybe t's running out of resources sometimes, though I would expect a known error message for that

Same code, and it has no inputs. I'm running Chrome but nothing that would use the GPU a lot. I guess it might be running out of memory, I could try running two instances of the program at the same time and see if they fail twice as fast.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

leper khan posted:

stack overflow is pretty bad for anything that reasonable documentation couldn't answer trivially. forums and user groups have been much better for less trivial or more specialized things in my experience.

though the private clones of it some middleware providers have can be good for questions on their middleware.

Yeah, I have a similar experience with SO. Most questions I look up are just simple documentation gaps or just shortcuts from googling, and they're usually correct or close enough that I don't need to ask anything.

A few I've written and then essentially answered for myself because that's what happens when you rubber duck a problem.

The few answers I get on deeper questions have usually been from maintainers monitoring their hashtags.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Maluco Marinero posted:

The few answers I get on deeper questions have usually been from maintainers monitoring their hashtags.

Yeah, this is the big thing. I've gotten really good responses for the JOOQ and the Microsoft Azure ADAL4J libraries, since the devs seem to be monitoring SO.

Honestly, most of the time writing up a half-decent question for SO leads me to solve my own problem. You need to be able to reproduce the issue in a toy-problem in about 50 lines of code if you want anyone to bother reading it, and you need to limit your example code to only use the one library you're asking about, and you need to clearly state what you expect your code to do and what it is actually doing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've used several libraries where the devs specifically say to use whatever tag on SO to get support. Seems to work out alright.

But yeah, SO isn't that great for more advanced discussions, but, at least for me, it helped me a lot when I was getting started. I remember finding lots of info about the best way to do different things like getting unique items from a python list or whatever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What is a good example of a simple CPU to use if you want to experiment with writing an emulator or assembler or something?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Bob Morales posted:

What is a good example of a simple CPU to use if you want to experiment with writing an emulator or assembler or something?

i hear chip8 is popular for doing some of that. there's a thread for it somewhere.

anything from an 80s console was relatively simple, but still might be more complex than what you're looking for. e.g. 6502 or a z80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Bob Morales posted:

I've been writing a CHIP-8 emulator for Haskell and it's pretty easy to work with. There's some quirks, but it's a lot simpler than other architectures (only about 30 opcodes, a fairly regular register set, and not too much weird stuff except the delay/sound timers, and those are pretty easy to understand.)