Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Bethesda's engine was never not going to continue being a dumpster fire this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm going to rebuild Boston Garden in my own image, and enforce my will upon it.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You only now realized that fallout 4 was basically going to be like fallout 3? Should someone spoil for you that grand theft auto 6 is going to be a lot like grand theft auto 5 too?

The difference is GTA 6 wouldn't come out 7 years later looking exactly the same as GTA 5 as well as minimal and cut down content.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Yes but how stupid will the conversations be? Reveal to me the mystery of what HATE NEWSPAPERS actually sounds like.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

This thread looks like NMA.com did when FO 3 came out.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I'm sure it could extinguish itself if Bethesda had any :effort: It would merely involve stripping it down to its construent atoms and rebuilding.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'd forgotten about the Dunwich Building. What a trip that was. The payoff was only so-so though, I'd definitely like a full Innsmouth questline.

It was awesome how it tied into Point Lookout though.

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

Bethesda's engine was never not going to continue being a dumpster fire this time

So much truth

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Protons posted:

It looks like games when FO 3 came out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Asproigerosis posted:

The difference is GTA 6 wouldn't come out 7 years later looking exactly the same as GTA 5 as well as minimal and cut down content.

And yet you will still be playing the same loving game.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Protons posted:

The address is https://www.nma-fallout.com thank you.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Protons posted:

Little did anyone know that NMA and SA's Fallout threads had merged years ago.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
"Graphics aren't important!" -Games with bad graphics

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy

Protons posted:

Seriously, all of us know Bethesda by now. Either buy the game for the new gimmicks it offers, because you like the franchise, and you'll like the game. Otherwise just gently caress off :shrug:

:cheers:

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Well maybe not. NMA was like a deep subterranean cave, filled with extremely hardened gems of bitter hatred. It was only made worse any time a few open minded people would pop in to learn more about the franchise. They would then have their heads bitten off for interrupting the hating FO 3 circle jerk that NMA.com had become.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Protons posted:

waaaah I think games that come out in 2015 should look like The Matrix because

furthermore I think games that come out after other games should be flawless for these reasons

Seriously, all of us know Bethesda by now. Either buy the game for the new gimmicks it offers, because you like the franchise, and you'll like the game. Otherwise just gently caress off :shrug:

chillax man, i know the hype can be alot, just dont let it get to you!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I honestly expected NMA to be more critical of Fallout 4 than they actually are. I mean, they're still highly critical of it but they seem to have noticed some improvements and tried to stay at least a little positive over it, expecting another Fallout 3. This thread is absolutely losing its poo poo in comparison, with people saying there's no reason to criticize Bethesda on one side, others saying it's godawful without them even playing the game yet on the other.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Protons posted:

Well maybe not. NMA was like a deep subterranean cave, filled with extremely hardened gems of bitter hatred. It was only made worse any time a few open minded people would pop in to learn more about the franchise. They would then have their heads bitten off for interrupting the hating FO 3 circle jerk that NMA.com had become.

It was a scary place for awhile.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm pensively excited, personally. I mean I know it's going to have a little bit of that Old Bethesda Jank(tm) but it looks cool, I love the setting, the building stuff sounds rad, and the new perk-tree is interesting.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Has there been any news of a preload on Steam?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah they'll say when it's available

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GhostDog posted:

For me it's that Bethesda is the only one making RPGs with a broad enough canvas to project all kinds of characters/stories on to and just role-play around in. In the Witcher for example you can play Gerald and make some skillpoint and quest decisions, and that's it. In Skyrim you can play a deranged maniac who travels the world collecting pillows to build a fort. Not that the game has quests or dialog to react to that specifically, but all the systems are so generic it's easy to fill the holes with your own imagination.

Edit: I should say "big budget RPGs", there are certainly smaller titles out there (and tons of MUDs) that allow you to do that.

That's what I used to like about them too but in Fallout 3 you're some boring man's son and he won't leave you alone and vice versa and in Fallout 4 you're John Fallout, who is literally Commander Shepard in the Fallout universe right down to the blandness of all his line deliveries

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Pirate Jet posted:

To be honest, I think it's getting delayed so Bethsoft can change some poo poo.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm mighty peeved that some people get to play this already and I don't!

Also, to contribute somewhat to the discussion, and at risk of sounding cliche, graphics really don't matter. Don't get me wrong, the right graphics can make a great game better, and a good game great, but I've played lovely games with great graphics and great games with lovely graphics, I'll judge this one on its own merits when it comes out. I was thinking, someone compared the animations we've seen so far from F4 to Half Life 2, and it reminded me that some of my favourite parts of HL2 were the quiet moments in between battles, when I could poke around abandoned places. That's a large part of the reason I play Bethesda games, so I get to go sightseeing, but still accomplish something that counts towards progression, even if it is only a handful of caps and an expired stimpak.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm going to rebuild Boston Garden in my own image, and enforce my will upon it.

i live in Boston, inside the boundaries of the map, and I legit want to make my house as close as possible and surround it with flamethrowers and turrets and neon signs. My first plan of action after getting out of the vault is to go to Back Bay and try to find my work building.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Asproigerosis posted:

Did GTA 5 have bowling and cousins?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Spergs are really upset about graphics huh?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Biting retort by superstar forums poster 'crabcakes66'

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Did GTA 5 have bowling and cousins?

No, GTA 5 was such a downgrade. Why did they remove content that was in the previous game? Having an annoying family member call you every 2 seconds to go bowling was part of the true GTA experience and they casualized GTA 5 by removing it!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

A more apt comparison would be if they had opted to remove carjacking, something in all previous Grand Theft Auto games, but not, inexplicably, in the latest iteration.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
HATE *SPERGS

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i enjoy laughing at video games

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

strong bird posted:

Biting retort by superstar forums poster 'crabcakes66'

I take that as a yes?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Will Fallout 4 have a Quiet-analogue character? In Fallout 4, will sins ever die?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

There's spergs on both sides of this 'discussion', either actually talk about it or move on, but baiting each other into position so you can take potshots at each other is loving boring for everyone else.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Asproigerosis posted:

Weapon modification, actual power suit system + mechanics, settlement building, probably all kinds of under the hood improvements (the shadows DEFINITELY look way better than they do in Skyrim, and ditto the animations): minimal and cut down content.

Because FO3 definitely had all that and more.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

What shadows?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Am I allowed to ban Those Sorts from living in my settlement because otherwise why be in Boston really.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

strong bird posted:

What shadows?

http://gfycat.com/LoathsomeKindChipmunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AriadneThread posted:

i enjoy laughing at video games

But it's wrong to laugh at or make fun of a video game that I like.

• Locked thread