Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Brandishing a gun is an escalation to deadly force, which was done in defense of loving store property. If you're not putting your literal life at risk for the cash register of a 7-11, you're not a real American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I too want America to be a place of constant death battles over petty cash.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Story. But it's obvious to anyone who has worked retail.

quote:

Plaid Pantry has fired a clerk in Clackamas County who pulled a gun on a would-be thief carrying a hatchet because he violated the store’s no-weapons policy, a company official said.

The company trains its employees not to confront robbers, Plaid Pantry CEO Jonathan Polonsky said in a statement after police last week released surveillance video of the robbery attempt.

“In the event a robbery does occur, the focus shifts entirely to non-resistance, cooperation, and violence avoidance for the safety of our employees and customers,” Polonsky said.

It's not worth killing someone, getting killed, or getting someone else killed for the couple hundred bucks in the register.

edit: which everyone beat me to.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

sirtommygunn posted:

I too want America to be a place of constant death battles over petty cash.

Tinsley is thinking more along the lines of wanting America to be a place where peons gladly and frequently throw themselves into the abyss to save their corporate overlords from losing the slightest tiny bit of profit

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Bro just said “bismillah”! Now Allah is going to eat the egg!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zesty posted:

It's not worth killing someone, getting killed, or getting someone else killed for the couple hundred bucks in the register.

edit: which everyone beat me to.

On top of that, especially when it comes to chains, that couple hundred bucks is insured, so they're not even concerned about losing it. In my first job working at a theater, when I was on-boarded, the manager literally told me, just let them have the cash, and if they want a tub of popcorn and a drink to go along with it, just do it, get them out of there and let the authorities deal with it.

I think the bigger issue isn't that people really want to put their lives on the line for $300, it's that they want to be seen as some kind of hero for someone because of ambiguous reasons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ratzap posted:

It's a 'Sawn off shotgun' (or is sawed off another dreadful US-ism?).

In the US, past participle of 'saw' is 'sawed', not 'sawn'.

Afaik no American would say "he has sawn off the end of his gun", in fact I didn't actually know sawn was a word anywhere until you wrote it just know.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

On top of that, especially when it comes to chains, that couple hundred bucks is insured, so they're not even concerned about losing it. In my first job working at a theater, when I was on-boarded, the manager literally told me, just let them have the cash, and if they want a tub of popcorn and a drink to go along with it, just do it, get them out of there and let the authorities deal with it.

I think the bigger issue isn't that people really want to put their lives on the line for $300, it's that they want to be seen as some kind of hero for someone because of ambiguous reasons.

Tinsley wants to be able to threaten people with powerful weapons and doesn't like the idea that someone might notice him doing so.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

President of the United States Donald J Trump, on national TV multiple times on purpose: "hey, look at all these hot 11 year old, please vote for the hottest"

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

"How can we not have a candidate we like at this stage?"

Isn't it at least 5 months before the first primary that will begin the painfully drawn out process of determining the opposition candidate to the incumbent for an election that doesn't take place till November of 2020?

The first primary elections are going to be in February, so it's even a bit further out than that.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

VitalSigns posted:

Afaik no American would say "he has sawn off the end of his gun", in fact I didn't actually know sawn was a word anywhere until you wrote it just know.

Same but the other way around. You know when you read something and it just feels wrong? It's these little differences which are so jarring.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

VitalSigns posted:

Since when?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah but some American dialects pronounce saw with an L on the end so

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

whoops didn’t mean to post this. please ignore if you don’t mind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I said as far as I know. Maybe Yankees say sawn.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nevermind all that, I just looked it up and the past participle of saw is 'seen'

Seen-off shotgun

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
I feel like the only scenario most people would have to use the past participle of "saw" is probably when talking about that kind of shotgun and I have never heard it described as "sawn-off"

and guys I also really can't imagine the kind of person who'd own a sawed-off shotgun particularly caring what the past participle of "saw" is in proper Westminster Queen's English

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Grammatics aside, I think we can just trust the Americans when it comes to gun nomenclature.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Let’s say there were 10 other candidates each with an IQ of 100. There are more, which makes the math worse for Ramirez. Also Ramirez suggests that their IQs are less than 100, which also makes the math worse for Ramirez.

In this case, to raise the average IQ 30 points, Swalwell would have to have an IQ of -200.
You know IQ, a value that is asymptotically bounded at 0. You know IQ, a value that only arrogant assholes even consider in the first place*.

*See the Gentleman from Licksomething.

A Ramirez is a complete and total idiot cartoon.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It's the same with a hyphen. No region seems strongly for sawn either.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone have handy the "so of old / thus of new" old engraving that we use to make fun of "it used to be / now it's" cartoons?

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

alnilam posted:

Does anyone have handy the "so of old / thus of new" old engraving that we use to make fun of "it used to be / now it's" cartoons?

Got you covered:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

A Gun Forum posted:

Contrary to popular belief, shortening the barrel of a shotgun has little effect on the spread of the shot, unless the barrel is made very short. Small Arms Review Magazine conducted a test in February 2008 in which they cut down the barrel of a shotgun a little at a time, firing it and recording the velocity (with slugs) and spread (with buckshot) after each shortening. With a 30" barrel, the spread was 10" at 15 yards. 24" barrel, about 11". 18" barrel, 8" of spread. 12" barrel, 12.5" spread. And with a 6-7/8" barrel, 17" of spread.

That barrel looks to be about the length of his forearm, so probably ~28" for an 8" spread at 15 yards. Your odds of inflicting any significant collateral damage are minimal

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

what about sawed off weather vanes

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bombadilillo posted:

It's the same with a hyphen. No region seems strongly for sawn either.

I got you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Poison Mind posted:

Got you covered:

Now can you make the hand hold up a hot milk bottle instead of a cup?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
AMERICAN ENGLISH IS THE DOMINANT DIALECT ON THE INTERNET

(angry duck meme picture)

DEAL WITH IT

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

loquacius posted:

AMERICAN ENGLISH IS THE DOMINANT DIALECT ON THE INTERNET

(angry duck meme picture)

DEAL WITH IT

False, as e-mail is also a part of the Internet, so the dominant dialect on the Internet is Indian IT consultantish.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I though the whole point of a sawed off barrel was so crazy people could hide it easier in their coat. Because double barrel shotguns are more common than shovels in some areas while a pistol might be harder to get.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Katt posted:

I though the whole point of a sawed off barrel was so crazy people could hide it easier in their coat. Because double barrel shotguns are more common than shovels in some areas while a pistol might be harder to get.

This is it. There are legal rifle barrel lengths to and it doesnt have anything to do with accuracy

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btFJ451b_QA

"Sawed off" wins by being used in the finale/chorus thing from the Rockwilder.

Redman and Method Man have spoken.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Got looking at the first panel of the second one,

and got thinking how nice it would be to get back to just the 1/8th the people owning 7/8 the poo poo than the even more ridiculous situation were in now

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 12, 2019

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Zesty posted:

I got you.

Look, guys, i'm not objecting. But why does this map include Germany and Brazil but not Ireland?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I live in Texas and i swear ive always said "sawn off"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm good with pupers and doggos dying :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm good with pupers and doggos dying :)

Monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation

Honestly I think this would be more realistic if the hipster girl was instead a boomer and gave platitudes like "all we can do is raise our children the best we can so they can fix it in their own time :)"