Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

So my loving mirror decided it hated my windshield and jumped right off. Any tips for reinstalling this so it doesn't fall back off in 3 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

daslog posted:

Oh, it's under Warranty? Any mods?

And do you have records of all your oil changes?

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!

daslog posted:

Oh, it's under Warranty? Any mods?

Yeah, aftermarket warranty solutions. Just stopped in there, apparently the top cat fell apart and left a nice size chunk in the pipe and bottom cat. It's covered under federal emissions so they ordered the new one. Sad part is if I had the cash right now I'd go and get the invidia downpipe but it's fine. It's getting fixed at least.

I swapped the CIA and BOV when I did the stage 1. Only thing on there right now is the cat back exhaust, Kartboy STS and Stop Tech kit.

On the plus side, they're fixing my air conditioner while it's there under the warranty so that's pretty cool too.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Yakattak posted:

So my loving mirror decided it hated my windshield and jumped right off. Any tips for reinstalling this so it doesn't fall back off in 3 days?

Clean the glass and the foot of the mirror with the nastiest solvent you can get that won't dissolve either of them outright, then use one of those epoxy kits. If you don't get every drat microscopic spec of dirt and oil off the glass first it'll leap right off again.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Yakattak posted:

If this is on a '13+, it's covered under warranty. They released a better mount for it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got the crosstrek out in some back roads.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

powderific posted:

Got the crosstrek out in some back roads.

This looks like some fun. Is that the "official" Subaru basket on top? I'm contemplating getting a cargo box or basket for the Outback since this years family Christmas vacation pretty much overflowed the car and that was only to Knoxville to visit the parental unit and let them see their grandson. Next up is Chicago and we will have a fourth passenger so I need something big enough to put my mother-in-law in on top.

I also want to get the mounts and rails for the WRX. FB what do you have your kayak mounted on?

Mickles
Feb 12, 2008
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies.
Since there's been some talk of AccessPort tuning and horrible things happening, I thought I'd do a log and see if any experts here can tell me if they look good:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-y9Zuxas5UcUdITHphd2NlYm8/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-y9Zuxas5UQWxBcjl3ck1aYkU/edit?usp=sharing

These are 3rd gear pulls from ~2500 RPM to redline or so. '13 WRX with AP V3 if it matters.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: and the map is Stage 1 91 octane

Mickles fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 29, 2013

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Mickles posted:

Since there's been some talk of AccessPort tuning and horrible things happening, I thought I'd do a log and see if any experts here can tell me if they look good:

These are 3rd gear pulls from ~2500 RPM to redline or so. '13 WRX with AP V3 if it matters.

Thanks for any help!

May wanna also find a local tuner (or ECS/EFI Logics) and ask them. Professional opinion goes far!

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I know this is probably really boring but I get nervous about spending a lot of money at once so I need affirmation :unsmith:

I have a 2005 LGT wagon with 110k on the clock. It's got a smelly oil leak somewhere under the turbo and I figure this is as good of an excuse as any to finally do some engine upgrades. My primary goal is improved driveability (throttle response, smoother power delivery, turbo spool, reduced dbw delay, etc). It's got some miles and is my DD so I'm not looking to do anything I'll regret, just freshen it up and make it more engaging to drive. I've already done a fair bit of suspension work.

I'm planning on getting a new up-pipe and high-flow catted down-pipe with a dyno tune. I live in Plano, TX and work a mile from Cobb's shop, so I'm planning to have them do the work. Jamal: if you think you'll be competitive with Cobb's prices, drop me a PM please!

Does this sound like a reasonable course of action? Any advice? I'm trying for good bang/buck and not having to worry about ruining a car that I'm going to keep until there is peace in the middle east.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Scrambles posted:

I know this is probably really boring but I get nervous about spending a lot of money at once so I need affirmation :unsmith:

I have a 2005 LGT wagon with 110k on the clock. It's got a smelly oil leak somewhere under the turbo and I figure this is as good of an excuse as any to finally do some engine upgrades. My primary goal is improved driveability (throttle response, smoother power delivery, turbo spool, reduced dbw delay, etc). It's got some miles and is my DD so I'm not looking to do anything I'll regret, just freshen it up and make it more engaging to drive. I've already done a fair bit of suspension work.

I'm planning on getting a new up-pipe and high-flow catted down-pipe with a dyno tune. I live in Plano, TX and work a mile from Cobb's shop, so I'm planning to have them do the work. Jamal: if you think you'll be competitive with Cobb's prices, drop me a PM please!

Does this sound like a reasonable course of action? Any advice? I'm trying for good bang/buck and not having to worry about ruining a car that I'm going to keep until there is peace in the middle east.

I'd just add a full exhaust and not just up and down pipes if you're going to get it dyno'd anyways.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Beyond the DP the exhaust does a whole lotta nothing except sound. They're also quite pricey.

You have a good plan, consider the VF52 or a BNR 16g. You might want to do an intercooler as well, as your stocker might bust apart from either of those turbos.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

si posted:

Beyond the DP the exhaust does a whole lotta nothing except sound. They're also quite pricey.

This was my impression as well - I don't want to drop the better part of a grand for mostly aesthetic gains.

quote:

You have a good plan, consider the VF52 or a BNR 16g. You might want to do an intercooler as well, as your stocker might bust apart from either of those turbos.

If anything is wrong with the TD04 I'll definitely be having this discussion with Cobb.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aflicted posted:

This looks like some fun. Is that the "official" Subaru basket on top? I'm contemplating getting a cargo box or basket for the Outback since this years family Christmas vacation pretty much overflowed the car and that was only to Knoxville to visit the parental unit and let them see their grandson. Next up is Chicago and we will have a fourth passenger so I need something big enough to put my mother-in-law in on top.

I also want to get the mounts and rails for the WRX. FB what do you have your kayak mounted on?

It's a Yakima Loadwarrior on Malone crossbars. I think the Subaru official basket is just the Yakima rebadged. Two sets of Yakima Mako saddles right on the basket has worked great for kayak carrying:

si
Apr 26, 2004

Scrambles posted:

If anything is wrong with the TD04 I'll definitely be having this discussion with Cobb.
Yeah, I was jumping ahead and guessing that oil leak is going to be the turbo itself at that mileage. Maybe lucky and it will just be the return line leaking or something.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Scrambles posted:

You are at the mercy of Cobb on that one. I don't carry their stuff. For other brands and stuff like an intercooler or catback (I don't think cobb makes one for those anymore) I can help out. And if you are doing a full exhaust I would recommend either not getting the cobb downpipe or having them cut off the rear flange to go 3" all the way through. This exhaust is really nice and not excessively loud: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Invidia-Q300-Catback-Exhaust-Subaru-Legacy-GT-2005-2009

I would figure out the leak first. It is probably just the turbo oil drain.

si posted:

While the downpipe makes the most difference it isn't really accurate to say the rest of it does nothing. Going from a 3" downpipe to a 2.4" pipe and the fairly restrictive mufflers is definitely going to reduce the total potential. With a stage 2 car the difference is somewhere in the 20whp range. Just cutting the 2.4" donut gasket out of a cobb turboback made an extra 15 or so on a sti.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 30, 2013

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Thanks for the posts guys. I'm meeting with Cobb soon to go over the details. I'll post graphs at the tail end because everyone loves graphs.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How often do you replace the differential/manual transmission oil? I'm looking at the maintenance schedule and it says just to inspect it every 30k miles. This is a 2012 Impreza 2.0i.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

How often do you replace the differential/manual transmission oil? I'm looking at the maintenance schedule and it says just to inspect it every 30k miles. This is a 2012 Impreza 2.0i.

For my 2002 WRX, it's replaced every 30K, check the trans fluid level once a month. Dunno why it changed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Neptr posted:

Dunno why it changed.

Because Subaru did an analysis of increased warranty claims from a longer change interval vs sales lost due to a higher TCO from gear oil changes and decided the later was more than the former.

It's the same reason why synthetic oil is required on 2011+ models when there was no change to the engine whatsoever. It allowed them to increase the OCI which is more appealing to the potential buyer.

The new models also have 100k mile coolant where you would have to replace it every 30k before.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So waiting until the spring is fine? I just see people on various forums saying "well change it anyway just because."

edit - I'm at 30k miles now.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

So waiting until the spring is fine? I just see people on various forums saying "well change it anyway just because."

edit - I'm at 30k miles now.

I wouldn't fret about waiting an extra 5K miles on your DD 2.5i. You're already ahead of 90% of owners by even Reading The loving Manual.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Subaru Goon diagnosis time!

2001 Subaru Forester
Smells like gas when I'm driving around

Codes P0442, and P0456.

Also Pending Code P0420.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

daslog posted:

2001 Subaru Forester

Codes P0442, and P0456.

Also Pending Code P0420.

Evap line that goes to the intake manifold cracked or leaking? There's the three lines that are by the brake booster, two are fuel lines (from pump and return) and one is a vacuum hose from the evap system, if it's split or leaking then I can see it throwing those evap codes, and the catalytic code from having unmetered air entering the intake, also could explain the gas smell.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

daslog posted:

2001 Subaru Forester

Codes P0442, and P0456.

Also Pending Code P0420.

Bajaha is too optimistic and I think this is a rusted out fuel filler neck given the age and your location. The gravel shield has trapped salt and poo poo against the pipe and eroded it.

Should be easy to verify. Replacement is pricey, no third party replacement for the early Forester from what I understand... but it's not a difficult job.

After that you're going to look at the wiring harness for evap for the evap code because that rusts out like jack the bear, but the fuel stink says to me you've got something leaking in the filler.

Then again, my evap in the 03 is a nightmare even after replacing the swiss cheesed fume box and checking the wiring, so I might not understand that whole mess.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 31, 2013

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Mickles posted:

Thanks for any help!

What issue are you experiencing? That looks like a pretty normal pull to me. Some slight timing being pulled when the turbo is just spooling up but nothing past that.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Didn't look up what the codes were, they might be the same ones my legacy had which was a broken charcoal box wire, I don't know cross reference my thread.

Gas smell is usually tighten down the hose clamps on all the fuel lines.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I have something like that going on too and have been ignoring it for years. Whenever I reset the ecu the code goes away for like six months.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

I know it's not necessary in CT but I bought a block heater for the few extremely cold days we get here. I won't have time to install it by Friday so I was looking into an oil pan heater as well. Does anyone have any experience with these?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Does it really take them so long to change the oil in one of their own brand new cars that they have to give a loaner?

My first change at 3k took almost four months. Put over 5k miles on their loaner.

In fairness, they had to rebuild the engine. I had the 'sewing machine tick' and there were no parts in the country or some such nonsense.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Anyone have any experience with converting fuel rails from top Mount to side Mount? I'm going to need bigger injectors for the wrx hybrid engine.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

daslog posted:

Anyone have any experience with converting fuel rails from top Mount to side Mount? I'm going to need bigger injectors for the wrx hybrid engine.

You're going to want/keep top mount style, side mount injectors aren't as common and offer far fewer choice in sizing.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Yakattak posted:

I know it's not necessary in CT but I bought a block heater for the few extremely cold days we get here. I won't have time to install it by Friday so I was looking into an oil pan heater as well. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Along these same lines, anything to worry about regarding fuel line antifreeze and the turbo motor? After looking up how to install the block heater I kind of wish I had done that last fall with my radiator replacement. Supposed to be -14F here next week. The Forester cranks hard on cold days and this will be the coldest I've ever seen with it. Maybe I'll just pop the hood and point a halogen work light down at the block overnight.

Edit: disregard my question about fuel line antifreeze. I remember now that every gallon of gasoline contains 10% ethanol which should render it unnecessary.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 2, 2014

si
Apr 26, 2004

daslog posted:

?

http://www.iagperformance.com/shopping_cart/proddetail.php?prod=2000.18.02.48.11.4

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
> was thinking that I would need to convert to the Sti setup but that's a much better option. While 2000 cc is a bit much there are other options on that page that loopretty good.

si
Apr 26, 2004

daslog posted:

> was thinking that I would need to convert to the Sti setup but that's a much better option. While 2000 cc is a bit much there are other options on that page that loopretty good.

Yeah I wasn't sure what you were going for in saying there weren't top feeds for your application, so I assumed something very huge. As far as I know there are top feed options for basically every size: http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-2009-Legacy-GT-cln-Fuel-System/Categories

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

si posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure what you were going for in saying there weren't top feeds for your application, so I assumed something very huge. As far as I know there are top feed options for basically every size: http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-2009-Legacy-GT-cln-Fuel-System/Categories

You more than solved my issue Thanks.

Now I just need to settle on a turbo for the hybrid wrx build.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, top feed ID injectors are going to be the way to go.

What kind of power were you thinking?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I was thinking 350 max. It is a 2004 wrx that I plan to abuse at rally cross.

Edit. Is there something wrong with the Deastxhworks 650cc?

daslog fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

350 crank? You can almost do that with a vf39. I would use something smaller from blouch like an 18g-xt. DW injectors are usually ok, but sometimes they aren't so I have gone away from them and a friend of mine who tunes cars now refuses to use them.