Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I say leave power lines in :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I appreciate the advice. I think I'm going to try removing the stone from the upper left and see if that helps balance things out, and I'll leave the conduit for now. If anyone asks I can give them some high-brow explanation that it symbolizes how modern technology infects even the ancient structures of the past, or something.

Also, content:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

All this discussion has been great. But I have nothing to add to it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Big McHuge posted:

I have been but my brain must be broken.

For example, the grid lines are telling me this is fine:

But every time I look at it, the tower just looks *slightly* off. It might be an optical illusion. Or maybe I took the photo incorrectly. Or maybe the tower is just slightly leaning. I'd like to figure it out since this is one of my favorite pictures that I've taken since buying my camera last year, and it's the first one that I know for sure I'd like to print out and frame.

Additionally, since I'm thinking of printing/framing, would it be worthwhile to photoshop out the conduit running up the side?

It does look off to me as well. I used a piece of paper to square off with the base of my monitor and it seems like the tower is leaning left. Are you sure the grid line in Photoshop aligns exactly with the edges of the tower?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MrBlandAverage posted:

I say leave power lines in :colbert:

hmm they're not working for me, i think you should clone them out

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Fantasy Lane by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Here's a landscape.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

a fantasy landscape :quagmire:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I generally never get the urban/parking lot pics that come up in this thread, but that one got a good laugh out of me.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Wafflecopper posted:

hmm they're not working for me, i think you should clone them out

maybe you'll prefer this one

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

you're getting better but you missed that road sign

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I can't see that forest through those trees.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Power lines: Always in

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

7726-01 by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

you own at taking photos

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Power lines you say?

// by ms, on Flickr

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

IMG_9788

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Escape by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai.

IMG_2433.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2487.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

IMG_2487.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

these are both real nice

e: also that top one looks like the sagrada familia of asia, except it was probably first so i'm being eurocentric

e2: okay i googled it and it's new (1997), not eurocentric after all woo

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 3, 2019

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Kalmthout Heide by roland luijken, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

these are both real nice

e: also that top one looks like the sagrada familia of asia, except it was probably first so i'm being eurocentric

e2: okay i googled it and it's new (1997), not eurocentric after all woo

It's utterly nuts.

quote:

The principal building, the ubosot is an all-white building with fragments of mirrored glass embedded in the building's exterior. The ubosot embodies design elements from classic Thai architecture such as the three-tiered roof and abundant use of Naga serpents. "Inside the temple, the decor swiftly moves from pristine white to fiery and bewildering. Murals depict swirling orange flames and demon faces, interspersed with Western idols such as Michael Jackson, Neo from The Matrix, Freddy Krueger, and a T-800 series Terminator. Images of nuclear warfare, terrorist attacks such as the World Trade Center attack, and oil pumps hammer home the destructive impact that humans have had on earth. The presence of Harry Potter, Superman, and Hello Kitty confuses the message somewhat, but the overall moral is clear: people are wicked.

IMG_2429.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2464.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2438.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

This is great.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Getting through my Ireland photos, slowly but surely. There were some waterfalls.

Have some waterfalls:
IMG_2055r by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

IMG_2088r by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

IMG_1936r by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

IMG_9657

IMG_9659

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

This place looks wild!

Big McHuge posted:

Getting through my Ireland photos, slowly but surely. There were some waterfalls.

Have some waterfalls:
IMG_2055r by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

Good stuff!

A question about lenses: It is worthwhile to upgrade from the kit lens for travel photography,? I just use my Nikon 18-55mm and, in general, I think it does a really nice job. I also have a 35mm prime, but I always feel a little too close when I'm using it. I've looked at other lens, but they all seem really expensive, large, or limited in some other way. Am I missing out on something by using my kit lens? Would you recommend anything in particular? I'm not interested in selling photos, but I'm interested in improving my photography. I know that working on my craft is the best way, but equipment is a consideration too.

Anyway, here's a castle that was along the Rhine River in Germany. It's Rheinstein Castle.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

A question about lenses: It is worthwhile to upgrade from the kit lens for travel photography,? I just use my Nikon 18-55mm and, in general, I think it does a really nice job. I also have a 35mm prime, but I always feel a little too close when I'm using it. I've looked at other lens, but they all seem really expensive, large, or limited in some other way. Am I missing out on something by using my kit lens? Would you recommend anything in particular? I'm not interested in selling photos, but I'm interested in improving my photography. I know that working on my craft is the best way, but equipment is a consideration too.

Figure out how your kit lens is limiting you and that will help you to decide what to upgrade to. If you like the zoom range of your kit lens, and want to have a better lens that covers that same range, then the perennial go-to cheap walkaround zoom is the Sigma or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Unlike your kit lens, it has a fixed aperture throughout the zoom range so you won't find that it stops down as you zoom in. It's also optically pretty sharp compared to the kit lens, has image stabilisation, and is still fairly cheap.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I haven't put anything here in ages

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

DorianGravy posted:

I'm kind of in that same boat. Most of the pictures I took in Ireland (and Iceland before that) were using my 18-55 kit lens. It's probably fine, and I probably just need to improve my technique, but I feel like I'm missing out on sharpness when I got to post-process, and that's with using a tripod. I'm also using an entry-level Canon Rebel T6 so megapixels might also be part of it. From my extremely limited experience, I have a feeling that working on composition and light will go farther than a new lens or camera. For travel it's particularly difficult because you are usually shooting in sub-optimal light conditions and with time constraints (ie- you don't have hours to walk around a scene to find the perfect comp, you might only have 5 minutes or even less sometimes). Just keep shooting and going to cool places.

Photo Content:
IMG_2677r by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

My favorite pano that I've done so far.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sharpness on all lenses looks bad if you pixel peep too much. Cheap lenses will absolutely look worse but if you're zooming in 2000% percent and are unhappy that you can't resolve mosquitoes the issue isn't the glass.

It matters even less if you're exporting for web consumption. At the resolutions people see your images only missing focus or kicking your tripod are going to be visible.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR