Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok...I might actually look into this, thanks for the tip.

I realize that most of you are doing this, and I really appreciate it--even if some people are being more humiliating than others. I'm not here to argue for law school. I just want information. Honestly I was expecting these kinds of answers when I submitted my first post. I've just heard two different stories, the "Law School Is Going to Get You a Good Job!!!" story that Law Schools and my more oblivious friends have pushed on me, and the "Law School Is Total Hell That Is totally Not Worth the Debt" story that this forum has triumphed and a few articles have suggested. I mostly came here because anti-law school chat comes up almost once a month in TFF, and I wanted to get a more direct source on the source behind it.

I'm going to ask around with some people that I personally know who are going to law school currently or have recently graduated to get a less anonymous opinion on the matter, but what I've learned through the thread today has helped me a lot in my strategy.

One thing I did know before applying is that law schools are very regional. One poster called me out on applying to a school in every region in the country, which is totally no true. I have applied to southeastern schools (where my family lives and where I grew up) and midwestern schools (where I live and work currently) only. I applied to schools where I would rather live. That being said, I am totally fine with living in Michigan and would probably prefer it over Indiana (where I am now).

Jesus Christ dude. Stop burying your head in the sand like a goddamn mindless ostrich. Law schools aren't "regional." They're terrible. And you're terribly dumb for wanting to go to loving MSU.

We're not picking on you and we're not belittling you (any more than anyone else who asks your exact same question). Don't go to MSU. Just don't. It's a loving dumb decision. How can we make it more clear to you? You asked the opinion of a lot of people who are way more knowledgeable than you, and the 100% consensus is that going to law school with your stats is a bad idea.

I don't even need to know what you think a "good LSAT score" is. If you got into MSU but not Harvard, it's not a "good LSAT score." It's a bad LSAT score. If you got a free ride from MSU but not Duke, then you are not special. You are weak and confused and easy prey for law schools. Your confusion in your last several posts has 100% confirmed that you are weak and confused and easy prey for law schools.

If you are still confused about what all of us are telling you, then you deserve whatever soul-ripping punishment you deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok...I might actually look into this, thanks for the tip.

I realize that most of you are doing this, and I really appreciate it--even if some people are being more humiliating than others. I'm not here to argue for law school. I just want information. Honestly I was expecting these kinds of answers when I submitted my first post. I've just heard two different stories, the "Law School Is Going to Get You a Good Job!!!" story that Law Schools and my more oblivious friends have pushed on me, and the "Law School Is Total Hell That Is totally Not Worth the Debt" story that this forum has triumphed and a few articles have suggested. I mostly came here because anti-law school chat comes up almost once a month in TFF, and I wanted to get a more direct source on the source behind it.

I'm going to ask around with some people that I personally know who are going to law school currently or have recently graduated to get a less anonymous opinion on the matter, but what I've learned through the thread today has helped me a lot in my strategy.

One thing I did know before applying is that law schools are very regional. One poster called me out on applying to a school in every region in the country, which is totally no true. I have applied to southeastern schools (where my family lives and where I grew up) and midwestern schools (where I live and work currently) only. I applied to schools where I would rather live. That being said, I am totally fine with living in Michigan and would probably prefer it over Indiana (where I am now).

I think you should go.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Don't listen to the opinions of anyone currently going to law school. They have to tell others that going is a good idea so they can convince themselves of it. Also they go to law school.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Don't listen to the opinions of anyone currently unemployed, underemployed or unhappily employed after going to law school. They have to tell others that going is a bad idea so they can convince themselves it's not their fault. Also they went to law school.

That argument goes both ways. Neither one is necessarily true.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

No mine is the true one.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I like to see people suffer as a result of poor decisions. It makes me feel less lonely.

Yes....yes...excellent.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a patent examiner, and I swear to god, anyone who is thinking about law school because they're interested in patent law should punch themselves in the face when they could be making $70k their first year and $150k their fourth year as a patent examiner with no loving law school you loving fucks and then not have wasted three years on law school like I did. gently caress, I feel like if I hadn't gone to law school, I'd be retired already, that's how much we get paid.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Hey lay off my school dicks

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feces Starship posted:

I know it feels like people are personally attacking you, but we're just trying to help and we're being honest.

Add to the pile the fact that law school is going to probs be the worst three years of your life unless you grew up in the midst of an ethnic cleansing

I liked law school it was very relaxing, except for bursts of unpleasantness around exam time. Then again I read very quickly and have boundless confidence in my ability to cram, and had a lackadaisical approach to attending class.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Don't listen to anyone, ever, about going to law school.

You have to do what's right for you. Listen...to your heart...

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm a patent examiner, and I swear to god, anyone who is thinking about law school because they're interested in patent law should punch themselves in the face when they could be making $70k their first year and $150k their fourth year as a patent examiner with no loving law school you loving fucks and then not have wasted three years on law school like I did. gently caress, I feel like if I hadn't gone to law school, I'd be retired already, that's how much we get paid.

Yeah this is what crankdatbatman should read.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
You should only go to law school if you really love the law

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
There's nothing wrong with joining a private firm as a patent agent or technical adviser either. Neither require a law degree and you get a lot more exposure to different areas of patent law than being an Examiner, I think. The pay is also decent and depending on the firm you might be able to get a law degree anyway on their dime, while still getting paid a salary (the only way I will ever agree to get a degree law degree).

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

evilweasel posted:

I liked law school it was very relaxing, except for bursts of unpleasantness around exam time. Then again I read very quickly and have boundless confidence in my ability to cram, and had a lackadaisical approach to attending class.

okay but short of using this as a venue for advertising your sterling personal qualities you certainly weren't autistic enough to not notice the constant parade of shame, fear and self-loathing in the faces of 65% your classmates, right?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

nm posted:

And remember, you're at least the second law school in MI.
Admittedly, most Michigan (As in University of) students leave, but not all of them. And Wayne State isn't far behind you in the rankings.

Don't do it. If you're going to a T2, you don't want a T14 in your home market.

I am not alone among Michigan lawyers in thinking Wayne is a better school than MSU, regardless of ranking

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

You should only go to law school if you really love the law

And want to deal directly with the big issues of the day and also love to debate.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Roger_Mudd posted:

And want to deal directly with the big issues of the day and also love to debate.

And want to make a difference.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

And you want to simultaneously help people and make the big dolla.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Zarkov Cortez posted:

And want to make a difference.

And are really really smart!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feces Starship posted:

okay but short of using this as a venue for advertising your sterling personal qualities you certainly weren't autistic enough to not notice the constant parade of shame, fear and self-loathing in the faces of 65% your classmates, right?

That doesn't really match up with my experience until 3L year when some people started getting desperate about not having jobs. People were mostly relatively relaxed in my experience.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Anybody familiar with how criminal discovery works in Hawaii in practice?

Or anybody whose criminal discovery code reads something like this?

Hawaii Crim Pro Rule 16 posted:

Disclosure of Matters Not Within Prosecution's Possession. Upon written request of defense counsel and specific designation by defense counsel of material or information which would be discoverable if in the possession or control of the prosecutor and which is in the possession or control of other governmental personnel, the prosecutor shall use diligent good faith efforts to cause such material or information to be made available to defense counsel; and if the prosecutor's efforts are unsuccessful the court shall issue suitable subpoenas or orders to cause such material or information to be made available to defense counsel.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I went to law school because my mom always told me how much I loved to argue

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I went to law school because my mom always told me how much I loved to argue

I know a guy who went to law school so that he would have an excuse to move out from his mom's house. No joke. This guy had zero backbone.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So what I have learned from this thread is that I am a flawed human being for even considering law school in the first place. Thanks everyone for the advice.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

crankdatbatman posted:

So what I have learned from this thread is that I am a flawed human being for even considering law school in the first place. Thanks everyone for the advice.

It wasn't a bad idea to consider law school, and it's not a bad thing you made a bad decision on bad information. It's not a bad thing you looked into it: the bad thing would be getting all of the relevant information and then still making a bad decision.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

crankdatbatman posted:

I went to a T14 law school and opened up my own firm because there were no jobs.

Last month I made $100.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I went to law school because drawing cartoons is stupid

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ok, last question. During the Super Bowl last night, I was discussing with my friend who (admittedly knows very little about law school) has been very supportive of my interest in the process. I had mentioned what's been said in this forum, as--believe it or not--what's been said here is making me think of giving up on the process. She mentioned the idea that we had discussed: possibly going into the military as a JAG. I've looked up a small amount of information on that possibility, too. What are the problems with going into the military to start your legal career after law school?

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 6, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok, last question. During the Super Bowl last night, I was discussing with my friend who (admittedly knows very little about law school) has been very supportive of my interest in the process. I had mentioned possibly going into the military as a JAG, and I've looked up a small amount of information on that possibility, too. What are the problems with going into the military to start your legal career after law school?

The problem is that JAG is highly highly competitive, and there are very few slots. Planning to go into JAG is like planning to win the lottery.

Do you have military experience? That might help.

But really, JAG recruitment pulls from very very good law schools - you wouldn't have a chance unless you knew the recruiters personally or some other personal connection.

JAG used to be one of those backup ideas: "Oh, if BigLaw doesn't pan out, I'll just join JAG - the military is always looking for recruits, right?" But the reality is very, very different.

Caveat: if you are in great physical shape, you might be able to join the Marine Corps JAG because they require JAG officers to go through the same basic training as other Marines, so candidates in strong physical shape get a leg up for that recruitment process.

Also, you don't have to entirely give up on the process, just take the LSAT again and get a better score, and get into better schools.

entris fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 6, 2012

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok, last question. During the Super Bowl last night, I was discussing with my friend who (admittedly knows very little about law school) has been very supportive of my interest in the process. I had mentioned what's been said in this forum, as--believe it or not--what's been said here is making me think of giving up on the process. She mentioned the idea that we had discussed: possibly going into the military as a JAG. I've looked up a small amount of information on that possibility, too. What are the problems with going into the military to start your legal career after law school?

JAG is not a fallback. I don't know if it ever was, but it sure as hell isn't know. It's ultracompetitive. They seem to be less elitist than law firms, so if you're top of your class at some TTT scuba school JAG will still take you, but it's not just something you do because it's easier than getting a firm job

e: entris my eyes glazed over your entire post. get an avatar you rear end in a top hat

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Feces Starship posted:

For all that I am flaming this guy as hard as anyone, I loved law school a lot.

It has to do with living in a frat house, learning to play cards and not attending law school.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Adar posted:

It has to do with living in a frat house, learning to play cards and not attending law school.

I did two out of these three things and still hated it

I kind of miss it right now though, I guess I didn't know how good I had it. sleeping till 5 pm and playing internet poker all night :allears:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Soothing Vapors posted:

e: entris my eyes glazed over your entire post. get an avatar you rear end in a top hat

Hahaha what do these two things have to do with each other?

Besides, I read the forums at work (or on my phone using the Awful app) and I have all avatars disabled, so I haven't seen an avatar in years.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Adar posted:

I don't doubt the honesty of this statement but I can not understand.

I can't think of a single redeeming quality.

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

I agree with pretty much everything that everyone else has told you so far, but I just wanted to clarify that what people are telling you is not something unique to "this forum." I think that's why people are being kind of harsh with you - you literally have to have done no research to be this naive. Any law school forum - TLS, auto admit, jdu - every law school blog, every mainstream newspaper and magazine article in the last couple years, are all just as negative about going to law school.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Roger_Mudd posted:

Being in school is better than working.

I enjoyed law school, but I also didn't go to a ton of classes and never hung out socially with law students.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

Law school requires very little of your time compared to having a job.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Wow my job owns so hard compared to law school and takes way less time

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

^^yeah but you "tried hard" and "did well" in law school

entris posted:

Hahaha what do these two things have to do with each other?
I am literally a child and cannot focus on a post if there is not a colorful picture next to it, and you should pay $5 to remedy this :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

Law school requires very little of your time compared to having a job.

This.

If only law school paid better...