Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Yamaha RS7000 samples, synths, sequences, MIDIs.

It's definitely a large unit in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Pillow Face posted:

oh man, 707 also scratches that itch for a groove box that i can play with on the couch, looks like no midi import expert though

do you know which qy? seems like there were a lot of models. it looks like rm1x potentially fits the sequencer bill as well

I think any of them would technically work if you're willing to record the midi out of your pc into the sequencer. If you want to drag and drop a midi file then the 100 and the 70 have smart media flash drives that you can transfer onto

I have a 100 I've been thinking about selling actually if you decide you need one.

edit: only the 100 has a smart media interface

thinking of selling the QY only because I have all the XG sounds on my piano and I'm not using it to write music any more. I do like the 480ppq sequencer though, its basically unquantized.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 16, 2020

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

ok cool, thanks for the leads, time to dive some manuals and figure out what’s right

rs7000 does look mighty tasty although i’m assuming it’s difficult to get it to do this

https://youtu.be/lPotDYDpfUc

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cheese Thief posted:

I'm getting a soldering iron for christmas. Can this tread recommend a kit?
Someone in the electronics thread recommended an Ataripunk console, but the one on amazon looks like iffy quality, planning to choose my own parts. Also reading hackaday. Wanted an arduino, I know Arduinoboy is a project to get midi on the gameboy, but I'm still waiting to do that.
My little project right now will be to make led go blink, and to put together an AM radio.

Come by the DIY thread with your budget! Lots of little projects out there to serve different skill levels and desires. Check out the Noise Toaster for something a little more interesting than the atari punk console. Synthcube bought the MFOS stuff after Ray so they sell kits or bare PCBs. The wiring illustrations on the site make soldering it all up fairly simple.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

EBB posted:

Come by the DIY thread with your budget! Lots of little projects out there to serve different skill levels and desires. Check out the Noise Toaster for something a little more interesting than the atari punk console. Synthcube bought the MFOS stuff after Ray so they sell kits or bare PCBs. The wiring illustrations on the site make soldering it all up fairly simple.

Will do, can you post a link? I'm not great at navigating the forum.

I bought a Liven 8bit warps as an impulse buy, it was $220 including shipping and power supply. Seems like you get a lot of synth for the price
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=188uasv1pEs

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 16, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtube.com/shorts/_XU_on7TJ_Q

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Better than 99% of synth youtubers

Skritch
Jul 12, 2000

Pillow Face posted:

ok cool, thanks for the leads, time to dive some manuals and figure out what’s right

rs7000 does look mighty tasty although i’m assuming it’s difficult to get it to do this

https://youtu.be/lPotDYDpfUc

The original Motif was pretty much an RS7000 with a keybed. Still haven’t figured out how to get mine to do some of the tricks in this, though: https://youtube.com/watch?v=MdK4LuSs94g

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

this owns

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

inferis posted:

this owns

so does this:

https://youtu.be/A0VYsiMtrNE

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone have any larger Eurorack cases? My current setup is 4x of Tip Top's 3u rails, 2x uZeuses, and a powered Intellijel case. I'm at 440 HP of full size modules, and a mix of both 1u format modules. I've really slowed down on module purchasing, I'm getting maybe one new module a year, so I don't need much more space now but I'll want to be flexible.

I both don't have enough power for my modules, and not enough space. I'm trying to figure out upgrade options. I was originally looking at less mobile solutions, but the local Eurorack shop has some portable cases available that can hold 672 HP via the A-100PMS12 12U 168HP Monster Case, or 504 HP via the MDLRCASE Performer Series Pro 14U 126HP Case. The MDLRCASE also has two 1u rows. If it weren't 2020, I would probably just go to the shop and spend some time with each case, but I'm not super comfortable spending more time than a quick pickup anywhere right now, so I have to turn to the internet.

Anyone have any experience with these cases? Anyone have recommendations for other 500 HP+ Eurorack solutions?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

yea these guys rule

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Holy poo poo that's a cool channel. Adding 'crt drumkit' to the list of things I want to play/own.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

Anyone have any larger Eurorack cases? My current setup is 4x of Tip Top's 3u rails, 2x uZeuses, and a powered Intellijel case. I'm at 440 HP of full size modules, and a mix of both 1u format modules. I've really slowed down on module purchasing, I'm getting maybe one new module a year, so I don't need much more space now but I'll want to be flexible.

I both don't have enough power for my modules, and not enough space. I'm trying to figure out upgrade options. I was originally looking at less mobile solutions, but the local Eurorack shop has some portable cases available that can hold 672 HP via the A-100PMS12 12U 168HP Monster Case, or 504 HP via the MDLRCASE Performer Series Pro 14U 126HP Case. The MDLRCASE also has two 1u rows. If it weren't 2020, I would probably just go to the shop and spend some time with each case, but I'm not super comfortable spending more time than a quick pickup anywhere right now, so I have to turn to the internet.

Anyone have any experience with these cases? Anyone have recommendations for other 500 HP+ Eurorack solutions?

Can't help but I'm interested in hearing about this - I did the classic beginner move of just buying a small 3u case, thinking I wasn't gonna 'get into' eurorack, I'd just build a small setup to go with my semimodular stuff. I think im looking for 6u 104hp, but still figuring out details.

What layout do you guys find most useable/ergonomic? Something angled rather than horizontal or vertical definitely seems more reasonable. How do you find 1u modules? Must have or just nice to save space in a portable setup? I don't really understand powering a larger case so I've got a bunch of research to do. What a money and time sink ughh.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

field balm posted:

Can't help but I'm interested in hearing about this - I did the classic beginner move of just buying a small 3u case, thinking I wasn't gonna 'get into' eurorack, I'd just build a small setup to go with my semimodular stuff. I think im looking for 6u 104hp, but still figuring out details.

What layout do you guys find most useable/ergonomic? Something angled rather than horizontal or vertical definitely seems more reasonable. How do you find 1u modules? Must have or just nice to save space in a portable setup? I don't really understand powering a larger case so I've got a bunch of research to do. What a money and time sink ughh.

Here's where I am right now:

It's not enough power for what I have on the rack, a few modules don't turn on right now.

It's not the worst to use right now, but hitting the limits of power and space have me needing to upgrade. I also wouldn't mind something that was portable. Rent a cabin somewhere, bring with the eurorack, and just noodle for a weekend.

1u ends up beneficial in two ways: It's a convenient gimmick, and 1u modules are generally less expensive than 3u modules, so a lot of my modules were gifts from other people. I did end up mixing both 1u formats when I first got some, because I didn't understand there was a different. I think in the end I like Intellijel's format a bit more, but I get why Pulp Logic is upset at Intellijel about it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

field balm posted:

What layout do you guys find most useable/ergonomic?

(almost) Vertical. But that probably depends on the height of the support and whether you are sitting/standing. Angled/horizontal is better when I'm standing.
Portable. This is crucial because I move the gear often to jam with friends and it helps to position the case how you want it.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 19, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Are those guitar stands?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

Are those guitar stands?

Yes. The protective foam is starting to break but they are really cheap and foldable. Not as good as a dedicated stand but it does the trick.

https://m.thomann.de/fr/millenium_gs_2010.htm

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

Power Stuff

I just finished a DIY power and busboard project, AMA. One thing that really helped me when I ran into power problems was settling on the configuration of my rows and then summing all their consumption. That let me look at what I needed for now, and what I wanted to have available for later. I ended up rating the supply for 2A to service two 1A busboards with the option to daisy chain the AC line. It's close-ish to what Doepfer offers.

On your current setup: The uZeus can produce a decent current (1-3A depending on the brick) for the positive rail, but much less so for the negative. If your failing modules are analog, this may be why they won't function correctly right now. Or both rails are overburdened. Just be careful if anything is buzzing (overloaded switching supplies) or too hot (overloaded linear regulators).

bonus shot of my "carpentry"

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

p' dope yo

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Badass module setups itt

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Cheese Thief posted:

I'm getting a soldering iron for christmas. Can this tread recommend a kit?
Someone in the electronics thread recommended an Ataripunk console, but the one on amazon looks like iffy quality, planning to choose my own parts. Also reading hackaday. Wanted an arduino, I know Arduinoboy is a project to get midi on the gameboy, but I'm still waiting to do that.
My little project right now will be to make led go blink, and to put together an AM radio.
this is a step by step guide to get into building modules
https://aisynthesis.com/how-to-get-started-in-synth-diy/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Here’s my mess

Recently moved my music to the office. Need a whole other desk for this stuff I think. I’m going to look for a guitar stand like that at the guitar center.

I also mocked up a woodworking project for a desk stand for the octatrack that incorporates a 1u rack space underneath so I can get rid of this huge rack I have sitting on the floor that only houses a patch bay. Not sure if I’m going to build it or not tho. I can also mount the 1u to a wall stud

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 19, 2020

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

Here's where I am right now:

It's not enough power for what I have on the rack, a few modules don't turn on right now.

It's not the worst to use right now, but hitting the limits of power and space have me needing to upgrade. I also wouldn't mind something that was portable. Rent a cabin somewhere, bring with the eurorack, and just noodle for a weekend.

1u ends up beneficial in two ways: It's a convenient gimmick, and 1u modules are generally less expensive than 3u modules, so a lot of my modules were gifts from other people. I did end up mixing both 1u formats when I first got some, because I didn't understand there was a different. I think in the end I like Intellijel's format a bit more, but I get why Pulp Logic is upset at Intellijel about it.

Those tiptop rails actually look super cool imo, but yeah that doesn't look portable at all. That's a lot of modular to fit into a suitcase style case but I'm excited to see it done!

I like the idea of cheaper utility modules, and I can see how 1u really makes sense in a bigger setup where you need a lot of multing, mixing etc. Something to consider for sure.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

(almost) Vertical. But that probably depends on the height of the support and whether you are sitting/standing. Angled/horizontal is better when I'm standing.
Portable. This is crucial because I move the gear often to jam with friends and it helps to position the case how you want it.

That makes sense, because of the available space/furniture in my apartment my modular is reasonably high up and I generally operate it standing. Maybe a dumb question but does it feel stable to insert and remove cables with your case vertical or does it wobble around etc? That guitar stand idea is genius btw.

Gotta say I love the aesthetics of your system. That verbos skiff is sexy, and i have never seen black panels on the mannequins stuff. It looks kinda wrong but also great!

A MIRACLE posted:

Here’s my mess

Recently moved my music to the office. Need a whole other desk for this stuff I think. I’m going to look for a guitar stand like that at the guitar center.

I also mocked up a woodworking project for a desk stand for the octatrack that incorporates a 1u rack space underneath so I can get rid of this huge rack I have sitting on the floor that only houses a patch bay. Not sure if I’m going to build it or not tho. I can also mount the 1u to a wall stud

What is that stand your modular is on? That's a great idea, I just ordered a cheap music stand off eBay to put my skiff on lol.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

field balm posted:

Maybe a dumb question but does it feel stable to insert and remove cables with your case vertical or does it wobble around etc? That guitar stand idea is genius btw.

Not a dumb question at all. The stand itself is very stable, and the protective rubber prevents the case from moving. But it's true that it takes a bit of trial and errors to find the correct angle where the case doesn't move at all even with force applied.

field balm posted:

Gotta say I love the aesthetics of your system. That verbos skiff is sexy, and i have never seen black panels on the mannequins stuff. It looks kinda wrong but also great!

The black panels for Mannequins stuff and Batumi are from BKM panels before they closed their shop when people requested them to stop putting Jack Chick tracts in their orders. It's quite dumb because they had a niche market, selling panels for popular modules matching the Make Noise black and gold aesthetics . Oh well at least I snatched what I wanted before that debacle. As you can see I'm a sucker for aesthetics in the racks. It makes me want to use them more when they are pretty, and using them more is always good.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 19, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

field balm posted:

What is that stand your modular is on? That's a great idea, I just ordered a cheap music stand off eBay to put my skiff on lol.

it's from On Stage brand. Its very stable but otherwise I want to put the modular on a desk it takes up too much floor space for my tiny apartment

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

A MIRACLE posted:

it's from On Stage brand. Its very stable but otherwise I want to put the modular on a desk it takes up too much floor space for my tiny apartment

I was curious about the keeb. Looks like a stage piano? Hammer weighted keys? Even if not, how would hammer weight feel as a midi controller. Curious if any velocity issues. I NEED a piano so badly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I was curious about the keeb. Looks like a stage piano? Hammer weighted keys? Even if not, how would hammer weight feel as a midi controller. Curious if any velocity issues. I NEED a piano so badly.

MIDI keyboards are cheap, relatively speaking. If you’re at the point where you’re spending $800+ for an 88 key hammer weight board you probably already own a synth-style controller, or wouldn’t mind the $100-$500 outlay of adding one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

this piano is way overkill for my playing ability but yeah. i have an 88 key with hammer action and midi ports. this specific model is the p515. I picked it over the lower models because I wanted the XG sounds and the midi ports. the fiancee wanted me to get one with built in speakers 'so there wouldn't be a bunch of wires all over the place'. sorry baby

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

MIDI keyboards are cheap, relatively speaking. If you’re at the point where you’re spending $800+ for an 88 key hammer weight board you probably already own a synth-style controller, or wouldn’t mind the $100-$500 outlay of adding one.

I play piano. I consider piano my preferred instrument and don't have one. As a controller I use the gma now because its small. Or the huge 76 key ensoniq. I'll probably just wait 10 more years or however long until I have a stable house and buy an upright :shrug:

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 19, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I play piano. I consider piano my preferred instrument and don't have one. As a controller I use the gma now because its small. Or the huge 76 key ensoniq. I'll probably just wait 10 more years or however long until I have a stable house and buy an upright :shrug:

Ok? I'm not sure what you're asking then. Do you want a MIDI keyboard or not? You could replace/complement your existing stuff with a NI or Arturia or Nektar as a primary MIDI keyboard with piano-like feel, or splurge and get something like a Nord if piano's such a big deal

All I was saying was, worst case scenario--if you find playing other midi instruments with weighted keys weird, a cheap 25/37/49/64 key unweighted board or keytstep or whatever isn't unreachable.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ok? I'm not sure what you're asking then. Do you want a MIDI keyboard or not? You could replace/complement your existing stuff with a NI or Arturia or Nektar as a primary MIDI keyboard with piano-like feel, or splurge and get something like a Nord if piano's such a big deal

All I was saying was, worst case scenario--if you find playing other midi instruments with weighted keys weird, a cheap 25/37/49/64 key unweighted board or keytstep or whatever isn't unreachable.

I mean how a hammer weighted keybed handles velocity sensitivity, when controlling another synth. Ive never tried. If i had an expensive stage piano, that could be 2 birds with one stone

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

most of the nicer ones allow you to adjust velocity curve settings

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

The fiancee wanted me to get one with built in speakers 'so there wouldn't be a bunch of wires all over the place'. sorry baby

Lmao

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I posted a song and now i removed it because the next morning that I now listen to it I think it sucks, but hey thats how the game goes.
Thinking about a deluge because the digitone just being 4 pages, that's not nearly enough. All I can get is like 4 measures of music out of it unless I do some annoying tricks to change the quarter notes to 8th notes. I need to sequence an entire song, looping sucks.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 21, 2020

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

making bad ambient with my two thousand dollar tape deck

https://twitter.com/notallramen/status/1341157532702633985

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I made a thing in between coaxing my seven-week-old kid to sleep. I think it sounds pretty OK.

https://soundcloud.com/user-576305780/pablum-musicbox-lullaby

It took a while to find a decent musicbox VST, but turns out Spitfire have a good one for free.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I made a thing in between coaxing my seven-week-old kid to sleep. I think it sounds pretty OK.

https://soundcloud.com/user-576305780/pablum-musicbox-lullaby

It took a while to find a decent musicbox VST, but turns out Spitfire have a good one for free.

Nice! I like how it evolves and layers.
I've been really impressed with the spitfire labs stuff - but I'm also a sucker for choirs and strings and all the stuff like that they have.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Chainclaw posted:

I really like my Pittsburgh modular cases since i have metasonix modules that require an obscene amount of power which they provide. Largest they make is 420 so you could do that and a skiff to get to your HP requirement but I started with the 270 and now have the 360 and both have been great as long as you can tolerate sliding nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

upon this, reminded me of an earlier post

https://twitter.com/jmworks/status/1327058651886936064?s=21