Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I'm on my phone atm, but you guys should really check out the Kings Field 4 intro movie if you want to see more similarities with DS1 and more specifically 2

I can never seem to get youtube to embed a specific time but the intro starts around 50 seconds in or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mppqZ5y_nJw
Even the menus are extremely similar to Dark Souls, goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Pretty sure the KF4 ending shows the undead burg.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Oh man I am actually right there. He's dodgeable, yes; but after what feels like forty hours of picking away at his ankles I will inevitably gently caress up somewhere and it only takes one for me to have to start over. As far as I can tell, though, there's no way to bring in anyone else.

I got him down to half health before I flubbed a dodge and ate it. :shepicide: I like to have some method of recovery during a fight at the very least.

Also your videos are really entertaining and I hope you continue making them.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Had my first summon put a trio of ballistae bolts through my torso for the first time :unsmith:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Vanderdeath posted:

I got him down to half health before I flubbed a dodge and ate it. :shepicide: I like to have some method of recovery during a fight at the very least.

Also your videos are really entertaining and I hope you continue making them.

Oh, thank you!

Unfortunately, it looks like I will be preoccupied with fighting Vendrick forever

It's always something dumb, too. I got hung up on his big ol' pile of clothes this time.

EDIT: Have you ever seen him do three swings? I hadn't!

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 18, 2014

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Oh, thank you!

Unfortunately, it looks like I will be preoccupied with fighting Vendrick forever

It's always something dumb, too. I got hung up on his big ol' pile of clothes this time.

Honestly, Vendrick is the epitome of a memorization fight. Don't get greedy, don't take more hits than you have to, to save stamina for rolling or blocking. It comes down to 'Don't gently caress up'. I hugged his left leg (side without the greatsword) and I was able to roll past most of his attacks, but yeah, Vendrick is most definitely a royal pain.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm checking out greataxe movesets and it looks like the black knight greataxe is fantastically worthless. A second of windup for an R1, yes this is definitely viable in both pve and pvp

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Lost Sinner's Sword procs Old Sun Ring. This has interesting possibilities.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I'm sorry if anyone has asked this recently, but is 150 SL what people are actively settling on for pvp? Seems like reddit is all on top of the 150 SL wagon, and I can't find anything anywhere else about it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Is the S scaling you get from infusing the Moonlight Greatsword with magic worth the flat damage hit it takes over regular? Or is the amount of int you'd need to crank in order to match/surpass the damage loss too much to be worth it?

Make it Raw unless your int is 40+.

99 in all damage stat comparison (not sure on Mundane)

West Ham Sandwich posted:

I'm sorry if anyone has asked this recently, but is 150 SL what people are actively settling on for pvp? Seems like reddit is all on top of the 150 SL wagon, and I can't find anything anywhere else about it.

Spend your souls on levels. SL 150 will just get you owned by SL 200 people with the same soul memory.

Kild fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 18, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

that;s not true at all, all my builds are 150 or less and I do just fine.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

that;s not true at all, all my builds are 150 or less and I do just fine.

I don't think you're an average PvPer. :) There's no reason to hold yourself back unless you want ~HONOR~.

Kild fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 18, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DSauer posted:

Had my first summon put a trio of ballistae bolts through my torso for the first time :unsmith:

On release of the console version I was summoned like, 10 times to that boss because there was a glitch where sometimes you would turn human and sometimes you wouldn't. I spent a lot of time trying to turn human.

I think the first 2 times I killed the host before realizing it was me doing the killing.

Control Volume posted:

I'm checking out greataxe movesets and it looks like the black knight greataxe is fantastically worthless. A second of windup for an R1, yes this is definitely viable in both pve and pvp

It was one of the best weapons in Dark Souls 1 before they nerfed it so it's understandable

West Ham Sandwich posted:

You can't settle on a level anymore really. The game now uses your total souls gathered, not soul levels bought, for matchmaking.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kild posted:

I don't think you're an average PvPer. :)

No, I'd say I'm average at best. Probably worse in terms of actual skill, just make up for that by playing so much I can predict people a bit better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Killing the Pursuer in the optional arena is always a good personal achievement in my book.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Killing the Pursuer in the optional arena is always a good personal achievement in my book.

This is rarely worth it imo, better just to wait for boss proper so you can parry and ballista him.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

CJacobs posted:

His attacls are the same, right?
If yes, I can imagine it to be quite easy without getting hit a single time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kild posted:

I don't think you're an average PvPer. :) There's no reason to hold yourself back unless you want ~HONOR~.

e:

+10 Falchion infusion comparison with 99 in all stats.

There's such a massive difference in damage output between all of them, enchanted is also completely terrible. Looks like the elements largely come out on top, again.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I always fight him on the balcony because it gives me more space. Pursuer isn't even a boss in my book, he's too easy. He has like 3 attacks and they're all super easy to dodge.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Genocyber posted:

This is rarely worth it imo, better just to wait for boss proper so you can parry and ballista him.

Beep boop, encounter outcome chances not optimal. Course of action illogical. Must maximize gains and minimize risks at all times or fun might might occur.

CJacobs posted:

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
The Pursuer is incredibly easy if you have even the slightest ability to roll. I don't see why you would need ballistas or whatever to kill him.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Graviija posted:

The Pursuer is incredibly easy if you have even the slightest ability to roll. I don't see why you would need ballistas or whatever to kill him.

Pretty much that. Literally every attack is dogeable by rolling to the back, except his charge up attack and thrust charge, which is one to the right.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

He's one of the fights where he's really really scary when you're a completely new player, but that you can go back to later and laugh at his face.

A lot like Taurus demon in DkS.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

True that. His presentation is kinda scary for a new player as well. A huge dude floating in air with massive armor - and god drat res glowing eyes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

Who cares, it's fun.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

There's such a massive difference in damage output between all of them, enchanted is also completely terrible. Looks like the elements largely come out on top, again.

It wasn't 99 all stats it was STR 13, DEX 19, INT 50, FTH 50. I thought it was 99 all but I misread.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

Who cares, it's fun.

As it turns out a lot of (terrible) people don't understand the idea that you might do something in a video game sub-optimally on purpose in order to have fun.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

Only because he doesn't look enough like Garl Vinland. :colbert:

It's nice when you make up "Garl Vinland" and get a demon hammer for your petrified gift. It was usable 2-handed at soul level 27. Going to be a long wait for that helmet though.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Control Volume posted:

The swingy greataxes' main use is power stancing with them because holy fuuuuck

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Ugh. Would somebody in the 330K soul memory range be willing to give me a Prisoner's Hood? Specifically, the one that just covers the nose and mouth? I've farmed the prisoners in Huntsman's Copse, Harvest Valley, and Grave of Saints to extinction, and I don't think the ones in the Gutter drop the right kind. I've got like five of the ugly version that covers your whole head, if you're into that kind of thing. I just don't want to look like a goddamn clown when I'm farming for drops, be it a jester or a mime.

Edit: Make that 350K. Half an hour of pirate genocide, and not a single Sea Bow. God drat America.

The Wu-Tang Secret fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 18, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Ugh. Would somebody in the 330K soul memory range be willing to give me a Prisoner's Hood? Specifically, the one that just covers the nose and mouth? I've farmed the prisoners in Huntsman's Copse, Harvest Valley, and Grave of Saints to extinction, and I don't think the ones in the Gutter drop the right kind. I've got like five of the ugly version that covers your whole head, if you're into that kind of thing. I just don't want to look like a goddamn clown when I'm farming for drops, be it a jester or a mime.

So have some class and wear a monocle.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

So have some class and wear a monocle.
If the Traveling Merchant Hat were just the monocle, just the beret, or both, I might be willing to wear it, but that terrible hood underneath it ruins everything. So I have to settle for being a Drangleic bandito with my hair flowing free in the wind.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Now why would people go to brotherhood of blood arena and use spells? :eng99:

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Seen a few people having trouble with Vendrick, been said a million times in this thread but I'll say it again....Hug just behind his left leg at all times, his frontal swings will miss and theres nothing else that will hit you from there...don't get too greedy with damage and if he gets too close to a wall and you cant properly circle him, move far away quickly and make him follow you, just be sure to dodge any incoming attack....then back to that left leg once its safe!

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Araganzar posted:

It's nice when you make up "Garl Vinland" and get a demon hammer for your petrified gift. It was usable 2-handed at soul level 27. Going to be a long wait for that helmet though.

I'm making an Old Monk (NPC invader) Build right now. Trying to decide what to imbue my claws with, and whether or not to attempt to get Homing Soulmasses for it or not.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I really appreciate everybody's advice about hugging the left leg

That being said, yes I know to hug the left leg I was hugging the left leg agghhh. I hate Vendrick because I could have the fight down in my sleep but if I step slightly out of range or stop strafing too early suddenly the whole fight goes down the shitter. For the curious, I circle strafed at the back-ish of his left leg but died fives times in a row the following ways, in no particular order:

1. Attempting to roll sideways, only to get stopped on his pile of clothes
2. Vendrick deciding that, even though I am to his left and slightly behind him, he should hop backward twice in a row and then go crazy
3. Vendrick swinging three times, total, and turning each time to catch me with the third one because--gently caress me--I thought I was safe to attack after his second swing
4. Vendrick throwing that weird funk as soon as I walk through the door, and me not really expecting it
5. When I try to lure Vendrick away from the wall, I roll too early and eat his pouncing Braver thing

The sixth time almost went bad but I improvised. I swear to god his AI changes when he's low on health; he just started doing the hop-back hop-forward-cleave thing over and over, no matter where I was positioned. I just had to finish him off while working around it. Vendrick can eat my butthole.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
It's a long fight, but it's not like you can't heal during it. Treat healing on bossfights the same as going for a hit on the boss, dodge first and wait for an opening then heal. Sometimes the boss doesn't start a new attack for a while allowing you to heal, but you can't rely on those windows it'll get you killed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I should NEVER be allowed to wear the butterfly armor. I never remember to take it off before talking to npcs. :cripes:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What does getting into the coffin in Things Betwixt do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jose posted:

What does getting into the coffin in Things Betwixt do?

Changes your gender.

Seriously, that's what it does.