Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

100% Dundee posted:

Went ahead and ordered a Pixel XL in Quite Black.

Just curious; why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

DaRealAce posted:

Can you queue them up?

Besides the cool robot duplicators down there, not at the ripping level. I obviously have to switch them out, but it alerts me when it's done. The second software I use is called Handbrake which takes the large rear end MKV file and compresses it down to around 6-10GB depending on the settings I choose for each movie. That you can obviously queue a bunch of files in a row, yes. I actually did this when ripping a few seasons of TV shows.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

cool BapnaHT

(is that a Russian MRE?)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ruzihm posted:

cool BapnaHT

(is that a Russian MRE?)

It is! Russia has like 6 different variants of 24-hour ration for all the different branches and organizations, but they all pull from the same store of contents and just have different packaging. That one is the standard army ration. I've eaten the one given to the FSB and officers, which has the same contents but is packed into a green cardboard box with a built-in carrying handle.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why are you buying MREs?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mu Zeta posted:

Why are you buying MREs?

Who wouldn't want to to pay to eat not particularly tasty food and be constipated!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I look into those every once in awhile. I have a fast metabolism and sometimes I'd rather eat easy than tasty if I'm already doing it 4-5 times a day. I always just end up with more peanut butter and milk.

I'd love a trip report.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

travisray2004 posted:

Just curious; why?

The google pixel? Looks like a pretty sweet little device. I'm thinking of picking one up for myself in the next little while.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I was in high school we had a fun week long trip to a military base. We got to do some fun stuff like sleep in the real bunkers and do the real obstacle courses and see what army life was like. I also ate like 4 MREs and I'm convinced they made me constipated. I coudln't poo poo until I got back home.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

When I was in high school we had a fun week long trip to a military base. We got to do some fun stuff like sleep in the real bunkers and do the real obstacle courses and see what army life was like. I also ate like 4 MREs and I'm convinced they made me constipated. I coudln't poo poo until I got back home.

They opened up a military depot near our school when I was in high school, and we would go buy them and fight over the peanut butter and crackers, and dare each other to eat the cheeses and 'corned beef hash'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Why are you buying MREs?

Partly because I have a ration review thread. Partly because I was able to get it for way cheaper than you normally get those, what with shipping costs.

Rolo posted:

I look into those every once in awhile. I have a fast metabolism and sometimes I'd rather eat easy than tasty if I'm already doing it 4-5 times a day. I always just end up with more peanut butter and milk.

I'd love a trip report.

They're honestly pretty good as emergency food or a lazy man's 1000 calorie meal. They're great for natural disasters because the entrees taste like regular canned food, but you just put them in the Flameless Ration Heater and pour in a little water to get yourself a hot meal with no effort.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
If you're camping and are trying to pack light / are a lazy gently caress / tend to get too drunk to cook while in the woods, they're pretty handy. Keeps you from having to poop out there, too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd also attest that I've never once suffered digestive problems from military food. Not even the awful fatty canned poo poo from Russia, Kazakhstan, and Ukraine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

chitoryu12 posted:

They're honestly pretty good as emergency food or a lazy man's 1000 calorie meal.

Yeah I'm looking for this. After a long run or lifting I sometimes just want to pound a thousand calories as easily as possible.

I'll check out your thread too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rolo posted:

Yeah I'm looking for this. After a long run or lifting I sometimes just want to pound a thousand calories as easily as possible.

Just keep in mind that you need to eat everything in the MRE to stay balanced. They're designed so the soldier eats all the components without trading or throwing out stuff he doesn't like to ensure that he gets all the calories and a balanced diet. A lot of the digestive problems attributed to MREs often have to do with soldiers throwing out or trading away items they don't like, as well as behavioral things like chugging a billion protein shakes and working out most of the day to try and get swole.

Also people get poop shyness in combat zones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Just keep in mind that you need to eat everything in the MRE to stay balanced. They're designed so the soldier eats all the components without trading or throwing out stuff he doesn't like to ensure that he gets all the calories and a balanced diet. A lot of the digestive problems attributed to MREs often have to do with soldiers throwing out or trading away items they don't like, as well as behavioral things like chugging a billion protein shakes and working out most of the day to try and get swole.

Also people get poop shyness in combat zones.

:lol: I only pooped in real WCs when I was in the service oh wait that was not good :(

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

travisray2004 posted:

Just curious; why?

Just wanted a new phone to replace my aging one and I want to switch my carrier to Google Fi. So it was basically either a Nexus 6P, Pixel or Pixel XL, decided to go with the XL.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

este posted:

If you're camping and are trying to pack light / are a lazy gently caress / tend to get too drunk to cook while in the woods, they're pretty handy. Keeps you from having to poop out there, too.

On the other hand: when you come back, it's like trying to poo poo a wardrobe out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spog posted:

On the other hand: when you come back, it's like trying to poo poo a wardrobe out.

More like a whole bologna but whatever.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Google Fi is rad. Coming from Verizon, the reception is better and the billing system is easy to follow and takes care of itself for the most part.

The Pixel looks so cool, but I've only had my 5X for 9 months, so I've gotta hold out for a while. I don't need it. I don't need it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Please tell me there's an updated MRE version of ham and motherfuckers... :btroll:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Please tell me there's an updated MRE version of ham and motherfuckers... :btroll:

I don't believe so. The early MREs from the 1980s had essentially the same items as MCI rations like frankfurters and beans, just repackaged into retort pouches instead of cans. But food technology has allowed them to make just about any drat dish they want to fit in the pouch. Here's the list of 2016 menus (the slightly different menus dating back as far as 2011 are typically still edible when you get them):

Menu 1
Chili w/Beans
Corn Bread, Trans Fat Free
Cheddar Cheese Spread
Crackers, Trans Fat Free
Cheese Filled Snack Food
Carbohydrate Fortified Beverage Powder

Menu 2
Shredded Barbeque Beef
Seasoned Black Beans
Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Spread
Tortillas, Trans Fat Free
Infused and Dried Fruits
Barbeque Sauce

Menu 3
Chicken w/Egg Noodles & Vegetables
Wet Pack Fruits
Peanut Butter
Cracker, Trans Fat Free
Jelly/Jam
Candy
Carbohydrate Electrolyte Beverage Powder
Hot Sauce

Menu 4
Spaghetti w/Beef and Sauce
Toaster Pastry
Peanut Butter
Multigrain Snack Bread, Trans Fat Free
Infused and Dried Fruits
Fortified Cocoa Beverage Powder
Jelly/Jam

Menu 5
Chicken Chunks
First Strike Bar, Trans Fat Free
Cheddar Cheese Spread
Tortilla, Trans Fat Free
Candy
Hot Sauce
Buffalo Style

Menu 6
Beef Taco
Wet Pack Fruits
Cheddar Cheese Spread
Nuts and Raisins w/Chocolate Discs
Seasoning Blend Spice

Menu 7
Brisket Entrée
Au Gratin Potatoes
Cookies, Trans Fat Free
Peanut Butter
Snack Bread, Trans Fat Free
Jelly/Jam
Candy
Irish Cream Cappuccino Drink Mix

Menu 8
Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Cookies, Trans Fat Free
Italian Bread Sticks, Trans Fat Free
Beef Snacks

Menu 9
Beef Stew
Fudge Brownie
Peanut Butter
Multigrain Snack Bread, Trans Fat Free
Jelly/ Jam Pretzels
Hot Sauce

Menu 10
Chili and Macaroni
Pound Cake, Trans Fat Free
Crackers, Trans Fat Free
Beef Snacks
Candy
Crushed Red Pepper Spice

Menu 11 Vegetarian
Veggie Crumbles w/Pasta in Taco Style Sauce
Wet Pack Fruits
Chunky Peanut Butter
Crackers, Trans Fat Free
Nuts
French Vanilla Cappuccino Drink Mix
Chili Lime Hot Sauce

Menu 12 Vegetarian
Elbow Macaroni and Tomato Sauce
Cheese Spread
Nuts and Raisins
Candy
Chocolate Protein Drink
Hot Sauce

Menu 13 Vegetarian
Cheese Tortellini in Tomato Sauce
Dessert Powder
Peanut Butter
Crackers, Trans Fat Free
Nuts & Raisins
Hot Sauce

Menu 14 Vegetarian
Spinach Mushrooms & Cream Sauce Fettuccine
Peanut Butter
Crackers, Trans Fat Free
Pretzels
Chocolate Protein Drink
Hot Sauce

Menu 15
Maple Pork Sausage Patty
Maple Muffin Top, Trans Fat Free
Peanut Butter
Crackers, Trans Fat Free
Nuts
Table Syrup

Menu 16
Rib Shaped BBQ Pork Patty
Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans
Ranger Bar, Trans Fat Free
Peanut Butter
Wheat Snack Bread Twin Pack, Trans Fat Free
Jelly/Jam
BBQ Sauce

Menu 17
Mexican Style Chicken Stew
Wet Pack Fruits
Cheese Filled Snack Food
Vegetable Crackers, Trans Fat Free
Candy
Chocolate Hazelnut Cocoa Beverage Powder
Crushed Red Pepper Spice

Menu 18
Beef Ravioli in Meat Sauce
Muffin Top Chocolate Banana, Trans Fat Free
Cheddar Cheese Spread
Wheat Snack Bread, Trans Fat Free
Meat Snack
Hot Sauce

Menu 19
Grilled Jalapeno Pepper Jack Beef Patty
Cherry Blueberry Cobbler
Cookies, Trans Fat Free
Cheddar Cheese Spread
Bacon
Twin Pack Wheat Snack Bread, Trans Fat Free
Nuts
Ketchup/ Mustard

Menu 20
Hash Brown Potatoes w/Bacon
Peppers
and Onions
Granola w/Milk and Blueberry
Cheddar Cheese Spread
Crackers, Trans Fat Free
Nuts & Raisins
Sugar Free Orange Fortified Beverage Base

Menu 21
Lemon Pepper Tuna
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Snack Food
Fat Free Mayo

Menu 22
Asian Style Beef Strips w/Vegetables
Fried Rice Chunky Peanut Butter
Jelly/Jam
Candy
Chocolate Cocoa Beverage Powder

Menu 23
Chicken Pesto Pasta
Filled Bakery Item
Patriotic Sugar Cookies, Trans Fat Free
Cheddar Cheese Spread

Menu 24
Southwest Beef and Black Beans
Spiced Apples
Cheddar Cheese Spread
Chipotle Tortillas, Trans Fat Free
Meat Snack
Mocha Cappuccino Drink Mix

Miscellaneous flavors and types:
Beverage Powder, Carbohydrate, Fortified: Lemon-lime, orange, and tropical punch
Beverages Powder, Carbohydrate Electrolyte: Fruit punch, grape, lemon-lime and orange
Pound Cakes, Trans Fat Free: Vanilla, lemon poppy seed, spice, carrot, marble, and applesauce
Candy I: Chocolate toffee rolls, licorice and mints
Candy II: Pan coated candy: plain chocolate disks, peanut butter disks and chocolate with peanuts oval/round
Candy III: Original, berry and sour fruit disks
Cookies: Oatmeal, chocolate chip, and oatmeal chocolate chunk
Pudding Powder:Vanilla and chocolate
Filled Bakery Item: Cinnamon bun and apple turnover
First Strike Bars: Chocolate and apple-cinnamon
Fruits, Infused and Dried: Cranberries and raisins
Fruits, Wet Pack: Raspberry applesauce, carbohydrate enhanced applesauce, mango and peach applesauce, pears, and mixed fruit
Jams and Jellies: Blackberry, strawberry, apple and grape
Meat Snacks: Beef strips, smoked and turkey nuggets, smoked
Nuts: Dry roasted peanuts, jalapeno cashews, smoked almonds, and barbecue almonds
Ranger Bar: Caramel apple, chocolate covered chocolate chip, cran-apple and banana nut
Snack Bread: Wheat and white wheat

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Are there separate MRE's for those who keep kosher or vegetarian for religious reasons, or just a more limited selection?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Looking forward to seeing all the pretty pictures

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

App13 posted:

Are there separate MRE's for those who keep kosher or vegetarian for religious reasons, or just a more limited selection?

There are a few vegetarian MREs (though I think only one menu so far is totally vegan) and there are separate kosher and halal meals. But you get a more limited diet if you have special restrictions.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So when it says "Snack Bread, Trans Fat Free" does that mean everything else has trans fats? Why specifically say it has no trans fat?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Rolo posted:

why not just...eat a chipotle burrito or a diary queen milkshake instead of nasty-rear end dried poo poo food?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't believe so. The early MREs from the 1980s had essentially the same items as MCI rations like frankfurters and beans, just repackaged into retort pouches instead of cans. But food technology has allowed them to make just about any drat dish they want to fit in the pouch. Here's the list of 2016 menus (the slightly different menus dating back as far as 2011 are typically still edible when you get them):

Many menu items

And yet no country captain chicken... :911:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Gynecolojustice posted:

why not just...eat a chipotle burrito or a diary queen milkshake instead of nasty-rear end dried poo poo food?

Just trying to add variety, I do those too sometimes.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Frankston posted:

Looking forward to seeing all the pretty pictures

These are awesome, I'm going to get them for my wife for Christmas. Shame they seem to be coming out only once a year.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

TheManWithNoName posted:

These are awesome, I'm going to get them for my wife for Christmas. Shame they seem to be coming out only once a year.

I'm interested to see how they handle the bigger books because these two are pretty hefty as is and Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets were tiny compared to the later books in the series. Wouldn't be surprised to see them split them into two parts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lord have mercy on my wallet.

I'm writing an RPG book and will probably do my own preliminary illustrations so it's a very reasonable purchase.
However, I am going to puke until I die because anything over $200 is ridiculous to me; a poor person.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Lord have mercy on my wallet.

I'm writing an RPG book and will probably do my own preliminary illustrations so it's a very reasonable purchase.
However, I am going to puke until I die because anything over $200 is ridiculous to me; a poor person.

I told you 6 months ago, you will love it, and I stand by it; congrats!

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
I've owned 2 Surfaces and loved both of them. They are really wonderful devices and my friend's SO is using my old one now for her illustrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Got a surface at work and love it. Onenote is the poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's going to be a Microsoft Surface event later in October. They could be announcing new hardware.

Also

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I keep almost buying a surface pro four, but then I remember the irritation and annoyance when I tried to use an iPad as a laptop replacement three or four years ago. I know the surface Pro is far better but I still have nightmares about the half a dozen lovely keyboards I suffered through before I gave up.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

I keep almost buying a surface pro four, but then I remember the irritation and annoyance when I tried to use an iPad as a laptop replacement three or four years ago. I know the surface Pro is far better but I still have nightmares about the half a dozen lovely keyboards I suffered through before I gave up.

The Surface Pro is a real laptop replacement. The iPad Pros are not. They keyboards for the Surface Pros (the one with the backlighting, glass trackpad and space between the keys) are very good. Play with one in a Microsoft Store or a Best Buy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

blarzgh posted:

I told you 6 months ago, you will love it, and I stand by it; congrats!

:D yeah. I really do have a hard time buying nice things for myself but my girlfriend bullied encouraged me to get one for the past couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat, my mom just sent me a txt to let me know she found me one of those ozark tumblers (the 20oz).

No idea why it took hours for her txt to reach me but hey, I get cold drinks when she heads down and brings me a new cup! Woop!