Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gosh our buyers were so great! smart kids, cute puppy. but seriously, if they had asked for an inspection before making an offer gently caress them lmao amiright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

gosh our buyers were so great! smart kids, cute puppy. but seriously, if they had asked for an inspection [or offered what we put as an asking price] before making an offer gently caress them lmao amiright?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

for 1.6 million dollars you could buy a 6000+ square foot historic home in the oldest part of philadelphia, or an entire city block in detroit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

triple sulk posted:

for 1.6 million dollars you could buy a 6000+ square foot historic home in the oldest part of philadelphia, or an entire city block in detroit.

one thousand acres of untouched Ozark old-growth with a five hundred thousand dollar sprawling mansion on top of the hill

tldr: make your money in the city and then go be a feudal lord in the country

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's all about location, and it's definitely worth paying $1.6m to live in the convenience and culture of a giant sprawling suburb.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
mountain view has good schools though, and is very culturally diverse, it's only 96% white

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bf and i are pending on a place in the sticks

we just had a 4-hour-long inspection yesterday, turned out fine actually. one of the notable things was that the hot water heater wasnt sufficiently strapped up to the wall. inspector says maybe 5% of the places hes seen has done this correctly, the straps/bolts are usually just ornamental and arent nearly strong enough to hold 50 gallons. so when the big one hits everyone's going to die in a gas fire apparently

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 16, 2017

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

mountain view has good schools though, and is very culturally diverse, it's only 96% white

sunnyvale has better schools and isnt 15% employed by a single bubel company

i mean if youre gonna go boring may as well go all the way

e: 15%, not 10%, lmao

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 23, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

yeah but what if I am afraid of minorities

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tesla is a strong sign, but the $15K Apple watch has to be guaranteed

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

one thousand acres of untouched Ozark old-growth with a five hundred thousand dollar sprawling mansion on top of the hill

speaking of earthquake risk

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

assuming that's a real garage and not more facade, that will probably fit one or two bikes, or a slim motorcycle, lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

assuming that's a real garage and not more facade, that will probably fit one or two bikes, or a slim motorcycle, lol

see also bay area parking

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Progressive JPEG posted:

speaking of earthquake risk

ozarks are a solid bet, they have good limestone bedrock going way the gently caress down. its over by memphis way where they should be a bit more scared

when the new madrid goes the mississippi corridor is hosed, absolutely hosed. all those 57 year old bridges are going to vaporize POOF

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i saw colorado springs this weekend and I am in love and denver's just kind of big and sprawly to me now.

I know the people are terrible. I know. but hanging out right there with Cheyenne Mountain staring you in the face and then Pikes just dominating the skyline, it's super beautiful

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

bf and i are pending on a place near la honda with like 400 redwoods*. the owners needed 60 days after closing to move because even where theyre headed all the way up in loving petaluma itd be impossible to have a successful bid with a seller contingency

we just had a 4-hour-long inspection yesterday, turned out fine actually. one of the notable things was that the hot water heater wasnt sufficiently strapped up to the wall. inspector says maybe 5% of the places hes seen has done this correctly, the straps/bolts are usually just ornamental and arent nearly strong enough to hold 50 gallons. so when the big one hits everyone's apparently going to die in a gas or propane fire

* 290 once posted something like 'live in the country or live in the city but never live in the burbs'

petaluma's where i was born/raised etc, is now yuppie central, thats my post thanks for reading

leo laporte lives and operates there and i only just learned from yospos that he is a total poo poo head and its hilarious 2 me

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

$1,600,000

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

yeah but only a 45 minute drive to campus with the traffic!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

yeah but only a 45 minute drive to campus with the traffic!

we got lucky and are renting a townhouse on the peninsula and got it when rents were low in 2009 and the owner only goes up $50 a year so its great and cheap.

If we wanted to buy it (which we don't it's a piece of poo poo) it would sell for about $900,000. On reclaimed land, in an earthquake prone area, below sea level.

Apr 7, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

we got lucky and are renting a townhouse on the peninsula and got it when rents were low in 2009 and the owner only goes up $50 a year so its great and cheap.

If we wanted to buy it (which we don't it's a piece of poo poo) it would sell for about $900,000. On reclaimed land, in an earthquake prone area, below sea level.

if you knocked the house down how much would the land be worth?

(also lol "when rents were low in 2009")

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

if it were for sale, a fuckload of rich people caricatures with spinny mustaches and plaid button downs would offer 2x, 3x, 4x the price you mentioned

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mido posted:

if it were for sale, a fuckload of rich people caricatures with spinny mustaches and plaid button downs would offer 2x, 3x, 4x the price you mentioned

but they're just agents buying it cash for some russian/chinese/indian billionaire

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my grandmom, instead of hiring a caretaker, decided to be cautious in case the value went down, and sold her cute lil' house in sunnyvale (that my dad grew up in) in 2005 and moved into a retirement home

well, the value did go down

and then it went uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

triple sulk posted:

well that's two ways to flush 1.6 million dollars

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my landlord did not increase rents on me this year

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beast of Bourbon posted:

our rent went from 503.22 to 503.50 and thats just cause the sewer bill went up

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

our rent went from 503.22 to 503.50 and thats just cause the sewer bill went up

the forums still cost $9.99 though?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

rooms 2 and 3 are glorified jail cells

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I save up enough to buy a 2+br in the alps for cash before I can afford anything in the bay area [with a mortgage] I'm gonna go bavarian.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eric posted:

if you try and squeeze a bed in there

probably make nice offices though

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eric posted:

you just know the only thing keeping a realtor from calling it a nine bedroom are those pesky egress requirements in the fire code.

things are seriously hosed up when the market gets to the point that an inspection contingency to make sure they didn't do something stupid like take out a load bearing wall in an unlicensed renovation will get you DQed.

an inspection requirement will get your offer tossed in Austin too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

From top to bottom: Master BR
Nursery [but the crib will be in the MBR until the kid is 3 and at that point they'll be moving anyway]
Office/mancave/masturbatorium
Project/yoga room [will just be a pile of baby junk they never use]

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my wife's place hasn't gone up in 3 years. my new place went up $1000/mo between the previous tenant and me. :rip:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Beast of Bourbon posted:

our area is 45% asian and other parts top out at around 60%

i only see asian people living in the new 1.4 mil homes across the street for some reason

I'm the two sinks in the guest bathroom

Apr 7, 2003

I'd like to see some dimensions on that floor plan.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

in one of the pictures it says "1983 square feet + attached garage" so I guess do some geometry to get the size of those rooms.

Also, that floor plan is some hosed up realtors version of reality. No one is eating in that nook next to the garage and instead would put their dining area where they list 'Family'. But this way the realtor can say 'it has a family room AND a living room'.

On the topic of inspectors, the sellers had their own come in so you could read their report. But then again they added an extra room to the house and did substantial work in the house after they bought it. Nope, no need to have your own inspector look at it, just give us 30% over asking.

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 23, 2015

Apr 7, 2003

I'm guessing 8'x9' for bedroom nine but I'm assuming they're being honest in that drawing.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks for sharing! We're about to close on the sale of our home in Sunnyvale as well (knock on wood), with very similar stats to yours. I think your post will be very helpful to demystify the process to those on the buying side. In our case, we didn't take offers in person... our agent lined up all the offers in a spreadsheet, and verbally told us what they knew about the top bidders from the Open House and their agent interactions. It was important for us to understand how committed the top bidders were to the property, since almost all buyers feel a twinge of buyer's remorse when they find out they've won an auction in an incredibly competitive market.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

in one of the pictures it says "1983 square feet + attached garage" so I guess do some geometry to get the size of those rooms.

Also, that floor plan is some hosed up realtors version of reality. No one is eating in that nook next to the garage and instead would put their dining area where they list 'Family'. But this way the realtor can say 'it has a family room AND a living room'.

On the topic of inspectors, the sellers had their own come in so you could read their report. But then again they added an extra room to the house and did substantial work in the house after they bought it. Nope, no need to have your own inspector look at it, just give us 30% over asking.

lol at trusting the inspector chosen by the seller.

i wish tech bubble would disrupt the real estate sales industry instead of trying to make it so manchildren never have to leave their apartments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Toronto was nice because there was one well-known inspection company, so the seller could get them to inspect and buyers could rely on it.

when we sold our house in Toronto in 2012 we countered *lower* than the buyer's offer, after some complexity. I am not emotionally equipped for SV real estate.

• Locked thread