Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
6600k is definitely not the minimum. Wtf, over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
The WMR thing told me my CPU was unsupported (i.e . Didn't have certain instructions needed), so there's definitely a limit to how old your CPU can be.

I think mine is nearing 7 or 8 years, but maybe more.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

6600k is definitely not the minimum. Wtf, over.

Yeah that’s some rocks being smoked. Like I said he’s clearly jaded about something or has super high expectations. Either way he’s high if that’s his OPINION on minimum spec. Lol

Vr def isn’t that insane. My 4 gig 960 gave me a great intro exp with the rift. I upgraded but I was just fine for gameplay so long as I wasn’t trying to supersample and poo poo.!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
This page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/windows-mixed-reality-minimum-pc-hardware-compatibility-guidelines says 4th gen i5 is the minimum for WMR but I'd bet money of 3rd gen working fine and the devs just not having <4th gen chips to test with (or not bothering). You can probably find someone online who tested this configuration already.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My 2600k has little issue with VR (outside of VRchat, that game is stupid CPU-limited), but I use a Rift and SteamVR.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Besides, there's a ton of great games and you can just organise a group to play something. VR is in a wonderful place now, and even back at release there was a worthwhile number of games.

Go play some Lone Echo, Chair in a Room and Raw Data and tell me again that game selection is trash. Also, 30 concurrent is more than enough for a good time, especially with bot support. That's really only an issue when there's no bot support and no players.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm gonna close the thread now, because VR is gay and dead.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Rest In Peace VR 2017-2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cojawfee posted:

Here lies VR, it never scored.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Hellsau posted:

Here lies VR, it never scored.

I thought tons of people scored in VR??? Isn't that why avatars in VR Chat usually end up missing each other in the first couple of minutes of meeting???

iceaim
May 20, 2001

puberty worked me over posted:

I returned my MR headset pretty quickly. No 360 tracking is an abomination. If you want to VR just please get a Vive or a Rift.

The worst thing about some of these "180" VR kits is some games are designed around them. It's especially noticeable when using bows.

It does suck, a whole lot. What's even worse is like having to launch the windows MR portal thing and then launch steam VR. It's just a boggled mess. Much like the vast majority of the VR game market right now. There's a handful of games with 100+ concurrent players but most are sub 20 concurrent players and multiplayer is dead. They better keep shoveling money into Rec Room so the player count stays high enough for people to not immediately return their VR headsets because the only MP games anyone actually plays are Rec Room, Arizona Sunshine, Bridge Crew, and Serious Sam VR.

And Onward, Pavlov, Orbus, Big Screen, Stand Out, Echo Arena, Raw Data, Elven Assassin, and a few dedicated Iron Wolf and BAM players. There's also Payday 2.

Edit: Looks like I got beaten hard. Anyway like others have said, you just seem like a really jaded cynical person that doesn't know how to have fun and be happy. VR owns and I play it almost every day since I bought my Vive in December 2016. I'm also 100% on board with buying a Vive Pro.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 20, 2018

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Has nobody mentioned Elite either? Game certainly isn't dead. Come shoot cops with the Diamond Frogs.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

Has nobody mentioned Elite either? Game certainly isn't dead. Come shoot cops with the Diamond Frogs.

It's my number one game in VR time played, and it's not even close.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

N-no!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

My i5-4760k with 8gb of ram and a 1060 works great for every VR game I've tried. You probably do have to spend $700+ for a desktop PC that's VR capable if you're starting from nothing, but upgrading a 4+ year old PC to VR capable isn't that bad(or won't be, once graphics card prices come down again).

Anyone tried "Primordian"? Looks interesting, like a VR Zeno Clash.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Making little projects in Medium almost made me forget about my broken leg :unsmith:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone playing FoS this weekend? Thinking of checking it out seeing as it's free, but would be good to play with goons if anyone's up for it

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'll be down at some point tonight and tomorrow for From Other Suns multiplayer. Discord name is Smoovejazz and I'll send a message in the looking for game area when I'm on.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Multiplayer in Arizona Sunshine literally does not work at all. Another bad VR purchase to continue the trend. In 2 hours of trying to connect to games I got 1 with a screecher despite purportedly 317 concurrent players. The VR platform rarely if ever achieves the task of full fledged multiplayer game that works. It's not a port forwarding issue.

I also like having to download Revive to play anything on the Rift. Stack up another stupid DRM platform.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 20, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I got climbey and I enjoy the poo poo out of that game. Any recommendations on courses out there?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

puberty worked me over posted:

Multiplayer in Arizona Sunshine literally does not work at all. Another bad VR purchase to continue the trend. In 2 hours of trying to connect to games I got 1 with a screecher despite purportedly 317 concurrent players. The VR platform rarely if ever achieves the task of full fledged multiplayer game that works. It's not a port forwarding issue.

I also like having to download Revive to play anything on the Rift. Stack up another stupid DRM platform.

Weird. I've had no issues finding a game online when I wanted to play. People joined mine just fine, and I joined theres just fine.

EDIT: I really think you should just give up on VR and let those of us who enjoy it, enjoy it. Its clearly not your cup of tea and you seem to have every problem under the sun. So either you're just making GBS threads on it to poo poo on it for "reasons" or you really have this bad of "luck". Either way, Sell it. You shouldnt even bother. You hate fun.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
He understands VR as much as he understands car maintenance I guess

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The multiplayer experiences I've been most excited about are like New Retro Arcade and Big Screen to hang out with my RL friends since we are all busy and spread out over the place and married etc. but none of them have bought into VR yet. I played Rec Room though and it's pretty cool.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Lol just lol buying into first gen VR and expecting it to rival the marketplace saturation of regular flatscreen gaming. Some people set their expectations at "AAA PC Game" when the industry is still in its baby phase and fundamental issues such as unified control schemes, UIX and sim sickness are still being researched and tested.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For people who don't know, From Other Suns has a free weekend on Oculus right now until the middle of the night between Sunday and Monday. Onward will have a free weekend starting the 25th.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nightwisher posted:

Lol just lol buying into first gen VR and expecting it to rival the marketplace saturation of regular flatscreen gaming. Some people set their expectations at "AAA PC Game" when the industry is still in its baby phase and fundamental issues such as unified control schemes, UIX and sim sickness are still being researched and tested.

My Nintendo has one lovely stick that flays my skin, my Playstation has no sticks, my loving Sega keeps killing itself. Gaming is dead.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/Split82/status/954373235700887554

https://twitter.com/Split82/status/954674607847505920

Demicol fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 21, 2018

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

So got the Dell headset in. Hardware works fine, software is being a bit frustrating because of the Windows -> SteamVR stuff. It's all a beta so hopefully things smooth out.

I got soundboxing, and it seems fun, but the way steamVR sets up the placespace I'd have to punch my monitor. When I stand back to where I want to play it's so far away I can barely register a hit. Is there a way to reset the play area to where I'm currently at?

I have a very small space right now, I have things to move and rearrange this week to get a proper space before I can do a whole lot. As well as needing like another 20ft of cable extensions. Can't flail with wild abandon for a bit yet.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateDentist posted:

So got the Dell headset in. Hardware works fine, software is being a bit frustrating because of the Windows -> SteamVR stuff. It's all a beta so hopefully things smooth out.

I got soundboxing, and it seems fun, but the way steamVR sets up the placespace I'd have to punch my monitor. When I stand back to where I want to play it's so far away I can barely register a hit. Is there a way to reset the play area to where I'm currently at?

I have a very small space right now, I have things to move and rearrange this week to get a proper space before I can do a whole lot. As well as needing like another 20ft of cable extensions. Can't flail with wild abandon for a bit yet.

Soundboxing, kinda requires some space. Sadly.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Soundboxing, kinda requires some space. Sadly.

Eh, I figured that. But was hoping I could make do for a bit before moving furniture. :v:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateDentist posted:

Eh, I figured that. But was hoping I could make do for a bit before moving furniture. :v:

It can sadly only ignore playspace size so much. You could make your space even smaller. In steam I mean.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Brass Tactics is a lot of fun, you should sign up for early access to the free component here http://www.hiddenpath.com/brassregister/

Well made, solid rts. Cuts out some of the micromanagement of workers and stuff, still allows for lots of tactics and micro. I like the slower speed of the units, promotes more spreading out of units and fewer deathballs of units. I also really love the aesthetics, everything looks like tiny little toys

Here's the last match I played yesterday after getting the basics down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhYqsKEHZGc

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lemming posted:

Brass Tactics is a lot of fun, you should sign up for early access to the free component here http://www.hiddenpath.com/brassregister/

Well made, solid rts. Cuts out some of the micromanagement of workers and stuff, still allows for lots of tactics and micro. I like the slower speed of the units, promotes more spreading out of units and fewer deathballs of units. I also really love the aesthetics, everything looks like tiny little toys

Here's the last match I played yesterday after getting the basics down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhYqsKEHZGc

Did they start sending invites out? I signed up already.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

Did they start sending invites out? I signed up already.

They sent out a super tiny number, more are gonna be sent out in the next few weeks. I was able to finagle an early key, but it's not doing me too much good at the moment since there's nobody online to play against.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

You'll need to reset the roomscale. There's an option to adjust while in MR. Look for it in the MR home.

If anyone is annoyed that it's hard to launch steamVR, use the in VR desktop, it makes it very easy to use without taking off the headset. Unfortunately it's an extra step but I can understand why Microsoft wouldn't want to make it seamless to use steamVR.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This looks awesome, and seems way more appealing than soundboxing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Just finished (or lost, rather) my first game of From Other Suns in the free weekend. The FPS portions felt bad and the ship to ship combat felt bad. I think I'd be a bit peeved if I bought it.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Now the other thing, in looking at HDMI and USB extensions so I can actually play more than 3 feet away from my desk. Thought I'd check out some Vive or Rift lists. They're all over the loving place. For every "This active cable works great!" someone else chimes in for the same thing "Didn't work at all, used a dollar store cable and it's perfect." I know results may vary, but there's no drat consensus. :psyduck:

FWIW I'd like to add 20ft of cable for the HDMI and USB 3. I think I might have to just try some 15 ft stuff though since that seems to be the vastly more common size; just have to scoot my planned space closer.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If the Vive is supposed to be USB 3.0, how come it takes a male USB A input and comes with a USB 2 cable with only 5 pins? I can't find a 3.0 Male A to Male A USB cable anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Are there any games like space engineers for VR?