Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I mean I realise that the valuation is probably bullshit and I was being slightly facetious but still, they do have lots of money and can't fix the most basic, basic poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I kinda doubt the people actually doing work have seen any of the money

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hawowanlawow posted:

I kinda doubt the people actually doing work have seen any of the money

I too kinda doubt the people doing this work are being paid for it

E: i.e. it's like some weekend project poo poo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

amotea posted:

Yeah it's a piece of trash drag 'n dropped together from various assets and scripts no doubt. It also shows in how long it takes for them to implement new stuff, the codebase is probably a mess and adding something like vaulting after the fact is difficult if the whole thing wasn't designed with vaulting in mind.

Probably had to pay their way out of the poo poo performance (Epic consultants).
Given all the money they got from this game, it's time to hire some people and rip subsystem after subsystem out and do it properly.

That said, I'm not sure about the lagdar. If I get high framerates in the starter area with around 100 people, I guess I'm excluded from its functionality?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 3, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

WhatEvil posted:

That's true but when they can't even fix simple poo poo like defaulting to the Asia servers every time, and having to refresh the UI CONSTANTLY to load into a loving game it's pretty natural to think that they will never get things working right.

This post is dead on. It's not the skill of the programmers that is the problem, it is how the project is run and organized. They have a massive hit on their hands but management doesn't appear to be able to their success into a better product.

The stuff that should have been prioritized like basuc ui functionality is ignored. A well run company could build an amazing game.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Pretty sure it bring a lot of other downsides in the PUBG anyway. Back in wow it was pretty bs since I would only got this tiny hitch while the game would otherwise be smooth, and I only got this specific hitch when players of the other faction would get within a certain radius and not allies nor NPCs. This could be used to get ready for a fight and could even alert you to stealthed rogues trying to get the jump on you.
This is me, i get the hitch when something new loads around 150 yards from me. It could be an enemy, or a vehicle father away. I let my squad know but so far it hasn't really been game breaking because there's no direction and once it was one of them who dropped on the other side of the city

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

For some reason Gamescom crates spiked in value up to an all time high of $5 each so sell ur dumb crates

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

WhatEvil posted:

That's true but when they can't even fix simple poo poo like defaulting to the Asia servers every time, and having to refresh the UI CONSTANTLY to load into a loving game it's pretty natural to think that they will never get things working right.

I think they said they are going to make a new ui, maybe they just decided to stop devoting resources to fixing the old one. Maybe the new ones not a webpage and they fired the idiots who know how to do webpage ui (and also think its a good idea). Who knows. Lotta poo poo they need to fix though, dunno if they can do it before people lost interest. I'm already bored with Erangel.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I'm getting a little bored of Erangel too. I think part of it is because for a given play style there are only really like 3-5 different places to drop - oh you want to drop into a hotzone? Looks Like it's Georgopol, Pochinki, School/Apartments or Military base. Drop somewhere a little quieter with a chance of some reasonable loot ? Mylta, Primorsk, or Rozhok! Make poor decisions? Zharki, Lipovka and Stalber have your back. So ultimately you end up dropping in the same places over and over and over again.

I guess there are more places to drop if you like getting lovely loot and scrabbling around for stuff all game, like fishtown, sunken city, farmhouse etc. but that's no way to play (though tbh I play squads almost exclusively and dropping these places is obviously more viable when you don't need to get 4 people's worth of loot from a location).

I think if they ended up with like, 3 maps the same sort of size as the current one (or at least with the same number of towns?) that'd probably be enough for a long while to keep things fresh.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 3, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Lipovka is a great place to drop though :confused:

Agree with the general point though (though tbh the map's been stale for months now)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

No one going to comment about how the lobby system has gotten worse over time, having never required refreshes at launch?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

They've fixed some stuff and broken others.

Parallel Playa posted:

Lipovka is a great place to drop though :confused:

If you like finding lovely loot and not having a vehicle when the circle is inevitably miles away.

Previous disclaimer though, I play squads and it's prob not so bad in solos.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
There's a garage and like five soft spawns in the vicinity. Loot's a little tight for four but it's fine for three or less. Also, plenty of decent spots to stop by after if you have to

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What are gamescom crates

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

These:

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/578080/GAMESCOM%20INVITATIONAL%20CRATE

You could use your BP to buy them during Gamescom, then you could pay $2 or whatever to get a key to open them.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

They were available during the GamesCom gaming convention - you bought them with your BP (in game points) and bought keys to open them with real money.

They're not available anymore and so I guess people are willing to pay more for them.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WhatEvil posted:

Make poor decisions? Zharki, Lipovka and Stalber have your back.

What's wrong with Stalber? Besides maybe getting circle-hosed if you don't get a car spawn. I drop there pretty frequently.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Water city has always been great for me. Pretty much always can gear out a squad easily and there is usually a few vehicles or a boat around. Plus there is that one house that you can only get into by jumping on some fences and jumping across to the roof. One of my PUBG dreams for how a match ends is having the circle end in there and having people confused on where I am at.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lipovka/Stalber own. The biggest issue with them is they're frequently first or last on the drop route so they either get a ton of people or only a few people. The map needs more medium sized cities like that inland

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lipovka/Stalber own.

I agree but I make bad decisions, so it checks out.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NmareBfly posted:

What's wrong with Stalber? Besides maybe getting circle-hosed if you don't get a car spawn. I drop there pretty frequently.

Circle fuckery and lovely loot for a squad. I guess with Lipovka you can at least move down to Mylta power and stuff but then somebody else has already picked over it by that point.

Primorsk is a better choice because although it's at the edge of the map it's bigger and the loot tends to be a bit better, plus it's usually super easy to get to Mil base if that's where the circle is with a boat (and there is a boat there or very nearby like 90% of the time).

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
What does your squad do if one or two of the team dies in the first 2-3 minutes? Usually if I'm the one left alive, I'll either aggressively engage people on my own to see how I do, or I'll drop to the lobby.

If its more then halfway through the game, I'll stay in. Last night I played with friends who refused to drop "We'll just play aggressively!" but then played through until there was 8 people. Luckily my PC is decent enough, I was able to minimize PUBG and play some PUBGFortnite. But still fairly annoying.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

fletcher posted:

There are no bad reasons to buy an SSD if you are still using a HDD in 2017.

This along with always run towards gunfire are some of the best advice this thread has.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

VulgarandStupid posted:

No one going to comment about how the lobby system has gotten worse over time, having never required refreshes at launch?

It's not as bad as a couple of patches ago, but still sucks especially if the party leader changes game mode when you are already ready up.

What's more annoying is the occasional hard lock after a match. I had to reboot my machine at one point because I couldn't even get the task manager to stay on top. Usually had it go to the secondary window.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

diapermeat posted:

What does your squad do if one or two of the team dies in the first 2-3 minutes? Usually if I'm the one left alive, I'll either aggressively engage people on my own to see how I do, or I'll drop to the lobby.

If its more then halfway through the game, I'll stay in. Last night I played with friends who refused to drop "We'll just play aggressively!" but then played through until there was 8 people. Luckily my PC is decent enough, I was able to minimize PUBG and play some PUBGFortnite. But still fairly annoying.

Depends on the squad and the circumstances. Initially I'll play aggressively. If I can't find anyone I'll make a load of noise by getting into a car and maybe honking the horn, that gets attention. Generally I won't make people wait but if one of my squad is left alive solo I'm not pissed off if they want to play it through, as long as they're decently geared and are half decent at the game. Sometimes if I die early I'll just watch youtube on my 2nd monitor or something.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Yea if you are the last guy alive, you have to pretend you are rambo and run towards gunshots.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Stealthgerbil posted:

Yea if you are the last guy alive, you have to pretend you are rambo and run towards gunshots.

But you should do that anyway.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah, this. You want to head towards the shooting since they'll most likely be distracted with fighting or looting, and that'll be an easy ambush.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

For sure, especially if you want to have a crazy and fun round. A lot of the people I play with are not into that though. I remind them that you win the game if you kill everyone but it falls on deaf ears. I tend to play how my squadmates play though, some of my friends are super blood thirsty and others want to gear up and hide in buildings the whole game.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Stealthgerbil posted:

For sure, especially if you want to have a crazy and fun round. A lot of the people I play with are not into that though. I remind them that you win the game if you kill everyone but it falls on deaf ears. I tend to play how my squadmates play though, some of my friends are super blood thirsty and others want to gear up and hide in buildings the whole game.

The only way to play is by eating meds in the blue.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Honestly I've probably gotten more wins from games where we run towards fights. It's not always a case of "run over to the gunshots and engage immediately though", you've got to guage whether you think you have the advantage or not. If they're 400m away and you've heard they have sniper rifles and your team only has x2 scopes and AKs then probably don't bother. If they're in a better position than you (uphill from you, lots of good cover) then probably don't bother. If there's a high likelihood that other squads around you will come and kill you after you killed those other guys, probably don't bother.

If you've come upon a fight and you've got 4 guys left on your squad, you're in a reasonable position WRT cover etc., and two squads have just fought it out and there are only like 2-3 guys left alive on one squad with the other one dead... you just got some kills and are now geared for end game. Ultimately even if you run towards gunshots and end up not engaging then at least you have information about the area you're in - you know where a squad is, you probably know where they were shooting towards, and you know there are likely no other squads too close otherwise they'd be engaging (most of the time). Also often even if you get to a fight and you're not immediately in a good position you can flank around the side of a hill or whatever and get to the point where you can kill them.

It's important to consider that every time you get into a fight you're giving away your position to people around you. You have to weigh it up with how likely you are to wipe the other squad, how likely they are to kill you if you don't (if they've started shooting at you then it's obviously different than if they haven't seen you), and how badly you need their stuff to get through the end game. Every movement in this game has a cost - if you're moving in a car you make noise and people will know where you've stopped, if you're running then you're potentially vulnerable to getting sniped from somewhere, if you're fighting somebody you're giving away your position. Consider what you know and what the enemy knows and use it to your advantage. Run to gunshots when people are distracted, run away from fights when you're in a lovely position. Situational awareness is absolute key.

Of course it's also just more fun to get into more fights than toilet camping the whole round.

This is all talking about mid-game though, if it's in the last few circles people will be a lot more conservative and this doesn't really apply. Also this applies to middling to good players. If you're pro as poo poo, or just poo poo, then it's gonna be different.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 3, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WhatEvil posted:

Circle fuckery and lovely loot for a squad. I guess with Lipovka you can at least move down to Mylta power and stuff but then somebody else has already picked over it by that point.

Ah, I almost always duo so we need less loot. Stalber always has more than enough and if you DO get a car spawn you're in great shape IMO. It also tends to see less traffic I think? I assume people don't realize it's been updated for a while, it used to be totally terrible.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah duo and solo there are a lot more legit places to drop. Stalber is actually decent now along with Kameshki. Still not great for squads though and if it's a military island circle you're fuuuuuuuuucked.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Stalber has great loot for a solo or duo, squad is pushing it imo. I like dropping there even though I've had terrible luck with the circle landing over quarry/military every time I go. It's hard to find a vehicle around the mountain.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

odiv posted:

You could use your BP to buy them during Gamescom, then you could pay $2 or whatever to get a key to open them.
What do they drop apart from presumably a lovely Gamescom shirt, that I'm not sure is worth $2? It's not like they've added anything in regards to character customization over the last months.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If this link works here's the poo poo that can drop out of them:

https://images.dotesports.com/thumb...d1db2fbfd4f.png

Or just google Gamescom crate contents.

diapermeat posted:

Luckily my PC is decent enough, I was able to minimize PUBG and play some PUBGFortnite. But still fairly annoying.
You could quit PUBG and just keep discord open? Or start a solo and tell them to send you a pm when done.

odiv fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 3, 2017

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

odiv posted:

You could quit PUBG and just keep discord open? Or start a solo and tell them to send you a pm when done.

It went something like this:

"let's drop out and grab you guys."
"yeah we can, lets just play aggressively"
*20 minutes later and down to 8*

Next time I'll just drop.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, figured. I just thought by the time you opened Fortnite you had maybe given up.

If I'm last after the starting cluster, I'll eat a grenade if I can. Games can be empty as gently caress in the mid game, especially squad, and who wants to spectate my crappy play for 20 mins, *yawn*.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

ITT people pay money for an early access game, regret giving money to early access game, never learn

Next Big Game comes out in early access, is wildly popular on twitch, collectively opens wallet so they don't miss out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm having a lot of fun with this game and don't regret my purchase. :shrug: It helps that I paid less for it than I did for games I've played maybe a tenth as much.

It's doing really drat well in both sales and concurrent players so I kinda doubt The Next Big Game will have nearly as many people getting on board.

• Locked thread