Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Probably just means don't leave your dog tied up to a tree all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Bibendum posted:

Is no one else curious what the writing on the side means? Am I old and oblivious to some new slang?

I think he's pissed off at people that keep their dogs chained up in the yard literally all day and night and never let them inside? I mean, it's a lovely thing to do, but seems kinda a weird thing to yell about on your bitchin' bosozoku-spaceship roadmaster.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
There were a few issues in news going around where people were keeping their dogs on tethers (chain rope, etc..) all the time and cops were being called multiple times to places where the dogs would choke themselves.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
Going with a trash bag instead of glass saves like ten pounds, that's an upgrade.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

95 (*might* be pre-obdII(?)) GST with probably earth-to-moon-and-back mileage and a missing sunroof, likely thrashed interior, expired tags but im sure you could lowball it down to being a decent pickup as a project car

only if it has a clean title

<edit> the response to "how many miles": 172k

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 18, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Only 106xxx miles on it maintenance done regular on this car was my great grandmother but she can't drive so she wants to sell it I put three tens in the trunk an deck in.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Big rear end bumper. What every truck needs.
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4668505337.html

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Amusing how the left bumper is trimmed but the right one is not. Almost like they gave up on this project after realizing how stupid it was.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

Amusing how the left bumper is trimmed but the right one is not. Almost like they gave up on this project after realizing how stupid it was.

It appears to be a wrecker/push bumper and it sure as hell looks like it got used.

Sure, it's ugly. But it appears to be functional and necessary for whatever that thing was doing.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
It looks like a push vehicle for the salt flats. If that is true the underside of it will look like an iron melting science project.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Tindjin posted:

There were a few issues in news going around where people were keeping their dogs on tethers (chain rope, etc..) all the time and cops were being called multiple times to places where the dogs would choke themselves.

Wow, a car with a good message on the side; that's nice. Also pretty much how my dog was living before I adopted him so I probably should have understood it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.theelectricgarage.com/auctions/vehicle_details.php?auction_id=42&id=3641

mmmmm, full service history midnight purple II GTR

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Do it do it do it

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

While searching for IH pickups:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/saskatoon/nearly-2-pounds-of-butter-pretzels/1015687017?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Are we just constantly combing the same small geographic area for the exact same vehicles (although I'm looking at Scouts)?

Maybe we should start up one of them car clubs and take a monthly fee to drive our collection of ugly hoopties.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
That's it, I'm selling the Miata

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

blk posted:

That's it, I'm selling the Miata

My God! The savings over MSRB alone!!!!

Calculated with inflation, some poor sap paid $67,630.03 retail for a Buick. :911:

And then drove it 10 miles a day for 20 years...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bigman.50grand posted:

My God! The savings over MSRB alone!!!!

Calculated with inflation, some poor sap paid $67,630.03 retail for a Buick. :911:

And then drove it 10 miles a day for 20 years...

Everytime I see one of these it looks like it hasn't moved in a very long time. They are always derelict. I don think I've ever seen one move under its own power.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

So much wrong here. No engine shots. Odo clearly has rolled over. Parts car bundle.

So much interest.. yeah, right. My never ending search for more Alfas continues to get depressing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
God dann it I want to pick this up but I honestly dont have the time or space for it.

DATSUN DUDE ON THE EASY COAST MAYBE NOW YOU CAN BUY IT

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/4675819405.html

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Why do you want a 120Y so much? It's pretty much the most undesirable car Datsun ever sold. I'd rather a 1200, 1600, 180b, 1500 ute, or of course a fairlady/z coupe. Never been a datto fan but liked the 180B, the ute and the 1600 and the Zs, but the 120Y never appealed in any way.

E: holy poo poo, there's six 120Ys listed on carsales.com.au australia, they range from $3k to $12k.
Get a rare datto 120y panel van in Australia for only a $6k asking price

https://http:/ /www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-120Y-1977/SSE-AD-2836895/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 20, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are we just constantly combing the same small geographic area for the exact same vehicles (although I'm looking at Scouts)?

Maybe we should start up one of them car clubs and take a monthly fee to drive our collection of ugly hoopties.

Maybe? If you've also been daydream-searching for LHD ST180-series Celicas (which is a massively depressing thing to do, the worst Internationals around are all in better shape than the best available Celica right now) I'll be nearly convinced you're my Tyler Durden or something.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Because its actually pretty cool, body looks in decent shape, says it runs for a small manual rwd vehicle and you really dont see them too often any more at all.

Plus 250 dollars come on

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The corolla of that vintage was better, and more common down here, (it's pretty much the car that Toyota built their reputation on).
But yeah, can't argue on price, I wonder how much they are asking for them down here these days...
E: $4k-$17.5k

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 20, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Because its actually pretty cool, body looks in decent shape, says it runs for a small manual rwd vehicle and you really dont see them too often any more at all.

Plus 250 dollars come on

You should really do it. Anything that starts, yet alone drives, is worth $250. I mean, whats the scrap value? Probably not a whole lot less.

I'm digging those rims/wheel covers. DO IT

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Hey guys, I just lurk here normally, but why would anyone believe that a vehicle offered for less than $1000 would actually run and drive at this point?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

God dann it I want to pick this up but I honestly dont have the time or space for it.

DATSUN DUDE ON THE EASY COAST MAYBE NOW YOU CAN BUY IT

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/4675819405.html
If I lived in WA I would own this. Holy poo poo.

theacox posted:

Hey guys, I just lurk here normally, but why would anyone believe that a vehicle offered for less than $1000 would actually run and drive at this point?
That's what test drives are for.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

theacox posted:

I have bought, and driven home from another state, a $400 car before. For a few years, my DD was a car I paid $450 for.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

theacox posted:

I have a $1000 bmw and $750 powerstroke f250 that run and drive just fine.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Powershift posted:

I have a $1000 bmw and $750 powerstroke f250 that run and drive just fine.

How much did you put into them, and how low are your standards for "run and drive?"

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

How much did you put into them, and how low are your standards for "run and drive?"

This probably is highly dependent on area. Personally, I've never seen a car for under about $1600 that didn't have something wrong with it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

The bmw i drove for 2 weeks without putting a dollar into. at this point over a year later i have maybe $1500 more into it including summer wheels/tires and winter wheels/tires. mechanically it was $400 in sensors and $150 in the suspension.

The powerstroke i have $20 for a tail light, and it's mechanically perfect.

Running and driving as in i would feel confident driving it across canada. Fully functional vehicles.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

animeliker posted:

This probably is highly dependent on area. Personally, I've never seen a car for under about $1600 that didn't have something wrong with it.

Yeah, "runs and drives" but doesn't need $1K+ worth of work to make it actually roadworthy around here is rare. This is coming from somewhere that does not require any inspections.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

theacox posted:

Yeah, "runs and drives" but doesn't need $1K+ worth of work to make it actually roadworthy around here is rare. This is coming from somewhere that does not require any inspections.

Inspections and emissions testing here, I wouldn't risk buying a car under about $4k as being turnkey ready to go without going over it bumper to bumper, and even then I'd probably want to lowball it, likely due to rust.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I have bought, and driven home from another state, a $400 car before. For a few years, my DD was a car I paid $450 for.

I'll give you this. I drove an 84 Ford Ranger truck for 2 years that I paid $450 for and only put a starter on, but that was 10 years ago. At that point, the truck was so rusty that it looked like swiss cheese. The head gasket blew about 22 months later and I just let it go.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PCOS Bill posted:

Inspections and emissions testing here, I wouldn't risk buying a car under about $4k as being turnkey ready to go without going over it bumper to bumper, and even then I'd probably want to lowball it, likely due to rust.

I guess it's also dependent on what you can put up with. I dislike rot and even minor body damage. Also I like air conditioning, which virtually never loving works on anything sub $2k it seems unless you get really lucky.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

Maybe? If you've also been daydream-searching for LHD ST180-series Celicas (which is a massively depressing thing to do, the worst Internationals around are all in better shape than the best available Celica right now) I'll be nearly convinced you're my Tyler Durden or something.

Uhhh... poo poo. Now I'm pretty worried.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

animeliker posted:

I guess it's also dependent on what you can put up with. I dislike rot and even minor body damage. Also I like air conditioning, which virtually never loving works on anything sub $2k it seems unless you get really lucky.

I don't remember the last time I used my air conditioning other than to make sure it still worked. I live in PA so rust is my major concern. If it's visible it's probably worse than it looks. Rules out just about any Subaru and older Honda :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Old f150s and c1500s are usually a good 1000 car. They require so little maintenance, really a great beater. This is 2wd though, 4x4 is always a crap shoot.