Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Djimi posted:

I suppose I'm just crazy. A stupid minority opinion....

I guess so.

At least you've found a support group who shares your minority opinion that we should not change or discontinue products you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Djimi posted:

I mainly meant the MacBook, not MBP. The MBA came in and replaced it, it was just too bad the fruitstand couldn't keep both MB, MBA and MBP around, I'm sure they would have all continued to sell well.

Also, the whole false dichotomy of rMBP and non-rMBP to shake out the features "people want" is sad from any perspective.

A whole bushel of citations needed and neutrality disputed. What did your "Yep" mean exactly?

It wasn't a complaint about being poor, it's a complaint about where they were and where they are going. If anything I was being sarcastic. It means I was conveying contempt. I should have used some :woop: or something.

I didn't call anybody a fanboy. Parse my words a bit closer. I used it as an adjective, not a noun. And really — using a particular word is off-limits? And you're the arbiter on that front? Got it, boss.

I suppose I'm just crazy. A stupid minority opinion....

I guess so.
I might be missing something here but what is the difference you think exists between the MacBook and MacBook Pro? I've got a unibody MacBook 13" from 2008 kicking around here somewhere and it's identical in design and ports to the later 13"/15" unibody MacBook Pro. Are you using MBP to refer to MacBook Pro with Retina display?

Somewhat relevant to the discussion: do you have/have you ever used a Retina MBP at all or are you basing the stuff you've been talking about only off things you've read ~*on the internet*~? I have a 15" rMBP and I'm really not seeing the downside to the newer style design. I get more useful ports on it, a great screen and silly battery life while having it weigh less and generate a shitload less heat than the old MBPs. I don't use optical media ever so a DVD drive is wasted on me and since I ordered the 16GB of RAM/512GB SSD model when I bought it (which is what we also did for the first gen rMBP we have at work which is still ticking along just fine) I seriously doubt I'm need to look at upgrading that further down the line.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mercurius posted:

I might be missing something here but what is the difference you think exists between the MacBook and MacBook Pro? I've got a unibody MacBook 13" from 2008 kicking around here somewhere and it's identical in design and ports to the later 13"/15" unibody MacBook Pro.
The aluminum unibody MacBooks are different from the 13" Pro in a few small ways:

No Firewire
Worse screen
Came with the 2.0/2.4GHz chips instead of the 2.4/2.53GHz
2.0GHz model came without the backlit keyboard

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
My brand-new (refurb) Time Capsule spins its fans up to full speed almost immediately after I plug it in, and they stay that way indefinitely as far as I can tell (only left it on for about 2 hours.) The Airport Utility also shows a message that says the device may be overheating. I've tried power cycling it and factory resetting it to no effect. It doesn't actually feel hot, but the fans are very noisy and it's blowing a lot of air.

I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow, but I just wanted to make sure that there was nothing obvious I was missing. Can you update the firmware on these things?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yes you can update the firmware, Airport Utility would tell you if there was a new version available. Check that "check for updates" is enabled in the Prefs. Sounds like there is a problem with the temperature sensor since you say the fans spin up immediately.

I had no idea the Time Capsule even had a fan, mine is silent, so there's definitely something up with yours...

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

flavor posted:

So we can all learn that this person hates Apple enough to plan on never buying their hardware again, but not enough to not use their software without a license.

I like OSX and haven't built my own tower in a while so yes. Also, I own a 21.5" iMac. I'm soooo sorry for being moms and buying what I could afford.

empty baggie posted:

Which location, if you don't mind me asking?

Louisville, Kentucky

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 9, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Was it the new tall Time Capsule or the old flat pizza box TC? Both have fans although the older one pretty much was useless, all it did was blow against the hard drive and move the air in the tiny area inside the case.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

cheese eats mouse posted:

Louisville, Kentucky

I have a pro glazer's suction cup if you want to use it, PM me. I live like 3 blocks from that Macauthority.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!

Binary Badger posted:

Was it the new tall Time Capsule or the old flat pizza box TC? Both have fans although the older one pretty much was useless, all it did was blow against the hard drive and move the air in the tiny area inside the case.

It's the new tall one, 2TB model. Feels like a pretty considerable airflow on this one! I think I've found out why it was returned in the first place...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

kernel panic posted:

It's the new tall one, 2TB model. Feels like a pretty considerable airflow on this one! I think I've found out why it was returned in the first place...

Meh if it's a refurb they'll take care of you, don't worry about it, poo poo happens.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

revmoo posted:

I have a pro glazer's suction cup if you want to use it, PM me. I live like 3 blocks from that Macauthority.

Sweet I'll definitely borrow. Don't have PM's email?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

cheese eats mouse posted:

Louisville, Kentucky

That's cool. My first hands-on tech training was at that location.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If either of you in Louisville want to make $100 I'll hire you to do it. I really don't trust myself. New drive will be here tomorrow.

Email is sarahcjcollege at hotmail

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Evis posted:

Is there a technology that anyone sees in the near future that would have the same impact as an HDD->SSD upgrade? I'm not aware of anything which is why the lack of upgrades doesn't bother me so much, but if there was something like that coming I'd be interested to hear about it. I suppose five years out is a long time but I think we knew SSDs were going to be big five years ago?
As far as basic upgrades for raw performance go, not really anything obvious afaik, it's basically just a matter of capacity. Granted I guess that's how it's always been with RAM and drives (fine until you're capacity starved), the big rear end SSD improvement is an outlier cause storage speed has been a bottleneck for so long. I'm sure they'll get faster and all, but performance wise they got to the "good enough" level a while back, so it's back to being a matter of capacity for most people I imagine. And while not ideal (i.e. not standard form factor), the storage is still ultimately upgradable.

The main obvious things I can think of is integrated GPU performance (and retina displays for the rest of the lineup) and general system efficiency/battery improvements, but that stuff wasn't going to be upgradable either way.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I had the screen on my rMBP replaced. Now that I have it back, I notice the MagSafe plug is much, much stronger. It easily needs about 5 times as much strength to disconnect, as it was very weak before and would easily fall off. Now I actually have to bend the plug down in order to disconnect it, rather than pull because its so strong I have to grip the laptop itself and pull hard. like it more now.

So, is the magnet on the laptop itself, or on the plug? Cause I didn't send my cable back to Apple, just the laptop. Is it something they could have done, or is my plug magically stronger?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I know the magnet is in the port, not the cable. Maybe the magnet wasn't aligned properly, and however they opened the laptop up to do the screen replacement caused it to shift into better position? Or the part they replaced included the magnet, although this seems less likely.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Animal posted:

I had the screen on my rMBP replaced. Now that I have it back, I notice the MagSafe plug is much, much stronger. It easily needs about 5 times as much strength to disconnect, as it was very weak before and would easily fall off. Now I actually have to bend the plug down in order to disconnect it, rather than pull because its so strong I have to grip the laptop itself and pull hard. like it more now.

So, is the magnet on the laptop itself, or on the plug? Cause I didn't send my cable back to Apple, just the laptop. Is it something they could have done, or is my plug magically stronger?

If it was sent to the repair facility, they just replace literally everything and anything that could possibly not be 100% perfect. They probably replaced the MagSafe board (basically just that port and the circuitry/cabling to connect it to the logic board). They wouldn't have realigned the magnet and realigning the display wouldn't have moved the magnet that much and made that much of a difference.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Thats awesome. Thanks for the info. Its reassuring that they went over everything and maybe found and replaced weak links that would have failed down the line.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Animal posted:

Thats awesome. Thanks for the info. Its reassuring that they went over everything and maybe found and replaced weak links that would have failed down the line.

So it was sent out? It should have come with a piece of paper that says APPLECARE on it. That piece of paper should have every single part they replaced on it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yes it got sent out, it came back two days later. I threw that piece of paper away on the way to the parking lot :c00l:

Actually the store rep told me just the screen got replaced and I think thats just what the paper said, but I only glanced.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I have a refurbished rMBP arriving tomorrow. Is there anything I should check it for when I get it?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Tomahawk posted:

I have a refurbished rMBP arriving tomorrow. Is there anything I should check it for when I get it?

How awesome it is.

Really though, Apple refurbished products are essentially no different from a new device and, if anything, better: the issue was found, resolved, and they inspected it for any other issues and fixed those too if they were present (whereas, if you bought new and had issues, it could be a multiple trip endeavor to the fruit stand, or just going through the process of getting a replacement).

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Tomahawk posted:

Apple refurbs are literally better than new devices. Enjoy your new toy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Apple refurbs are literally better than new devices. Enjoy your new toy.

Not in my experience.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Not in my experience.
They have been in mine.

Anecdotes are fun!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So any chance the long delay in updating the Mac Mini is due to a external redesign? Given the route they took with the Mac Pro and the AEBS/TC, I'm hoping that we might see some type of vertical little rectangular/circular-shaped Mac Mini. I doubt it'll happen, but one can hope.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They have been in mine.

Anecdotes are fun!

I returned three refurbs. Hey that's what these threads are for though.

e: I'll still buy refurbished in the future if it's a really good deal, but in general I can get things from BHPhoto with no tax and the cost is around the same.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 10, 2014

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

flavor posted:

My problem is somebody making that their crusade 2.0 after the first one about Snow Leopard against Mavericks fizzled...
Wrong thread, sir. But I understand your problems, deeply. You have already made up your mind. My point about 10.9 was that it isn't that great of an upgrade if you don't have iOS products, and that it was released too early - bugs. Yes Mavericks is a good OS, but 10.6.8 is not by any means a bad OS, not at all. And keeping the OS and upgrading older Macs (2006-2009) with RAM & SSD, works quite well. I've done about a dozen just for my friends alone in the last year. Mavericks causes many headaches. But if you have a newer MBP or MBA, you don't have to "worry" about that, because you can't install < 10.7 anyway.

My railing is against Apple and really nobody else, unless you're their spokesperson and brain trust. I am airing my experience and opinions amongst a group of people who can understand them, or at least I hope so to a certain extent. If you feel persecuted or insulted, I feel for you, but it's not like you are Apple or have any obligation to speak up for their decisions or shortcomings.

I'd wager that I've been using their products longer than you've been breathing, or at least using computing devices. I'm a professional in the industry with 20 years of paid experience, and a dozen more as a hobbyist. I'm not making poo poo up to make you or anyone feel bad, I'm calling it how I see it. I have a good memory and I've used all their computer products. Yes, all of them. Apple IIs, SE/30, IIfx, Newton, every Quadra, every Performa, PowerBooks, every tower, the Bang & Olufsen 20th anniversary Mac, the PowerPC NON APPLEs (!), imagewriters, laserwriters, MacMinis, the Cube, eMacs, the iMacs, the iLamps, the Xserves, the iPods, the iPhones, the iPads, the Apple TVs.

That reminds me... you should have heard me curse at work for a few weeks when the round mouse shipped with the Bondi Blue iMac, which of course puzzled people in my IT group, because I was the Lead IT Mac guy. I'm supposed to love everything they do, right? Stupidest thing ever made in Cupertino (or was it China?)

And Apple isn't doing as well for me as a customer as it once was (2000 to 2011 it was very very good). That's all. Yes they are making new technologies available, yes they are pushing the envelope in designs — as they always have. But sometimes that comes at a price for many users who've had enough history with the company and their products to feel somewhat betrayed by a few of their choices.

If I can't speak freely about what I see happening with Mac hardware in the Mac hardware megathread on SA, then I guess somebody drank all the kool-aid without me. All I want is great Apple products, like anybody that likes their stuff. I don't want devolution. And I certainly don't want change for the sake of change. People do invest in peripherals and external gear. When 'industry standard' ports disappear or are re-invented as new form factors, sometimes it gives one pause, and hurts the check book (not mine... others).

Is that too much to ask, of a company I've been a loyal customer to since I was a kid?
It's not a black and white world. I like about 80% of what they do. It doesn't mean I should overlook the 20% that I don't. And it doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to discuss it because it may rankle some sensibilities.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SourKraut posted:

So any chance the long delay in updating the Mac Mini is due to a external redesign? Given the route they took with the Mac Pro and the AEBS/TC, I'm hoping that we might see some type of vertical little rectangular/circular-shaped Mac Mini. I doubt it'll happen, but one can hope.
That's been my hope for a while now, but the updates are kinda random with it. The next update could be like the 2009 one, just a really long awaited spec update, perhaps just waiting on the Haswell refresh parts. Or like the 2010 redesign out of nowhere. And if nothing else a redesign into a little tower like the AEBS/TC would continue the tradition of Mac mini and Apple wireless routers sharing the same footprint.

My crazy hope is something with a desktop Iris Pro part. They're cheaper than the mobile chips...course they're also 65W instead of 30-45W. But perhaps a fatter heatsink and magic thermals in the vertical enclosure would provide enough cooling for that. (Well I have crazier hopes but they verge further into less likely xMac territory)

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Djimi posted:

WALL OF TEXT

Cool that you're having experience in the field that you're assuming others not to have.
Again, I don't have a problem with your opinions per se so much as with the way your feelings of superiority of your opinion express themselves in your assumptions and your valuations of others. It's also okay to defend something without being a spokesperson.

Also, 1986-1996 Apple wasn't the real Apple, so that experience doesn't really count. :tipshat:

Mu Zeta posted:

I returned three refurbs. Hey that's what these threads are for though.

My refurb late 2009 iMac had several display problems due to gnats or dirt and heat. I had them fix the display four times over three years. In one case it was a known heat problem and in three cases it just looked like it was that they couldn't be bothered to clean or blow out dirt before putting the cover back on. Well whatever, it was covered by AppleCare and now it's flawless :smug:. Also serves as a very good PC display.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 10, 2014

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Djimi posted:

I'd wager that I've been using their products longer than you've been breathing, or at least using computing devices. I'm a professional in the industry with 20 years of paid experience, and a dozen more as a hobbyist. I'm not making poo poo up to make you or anyone feel bad, I'm calling it how I see it. I have a good memory and I've used all their computer products. Yes, all of them. Apple IIs, SE/30, IIfx, Newton, every Quadra, every Performa, PowerBooks, every tower, the Bang & Olufsen 20th anniversary Mac, the PowerPC NON APPLEs (!), imagewriters, laserwriters, MacMinis, the Cube, eMacs, the iMacs, the iLamps, the Xserves, the iPods, the iPhones, the iPads, the Apple TVs.
So considering everything on this list, have you actually used a MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Got my 13" Retina last night. This thing is amazing, everyone should go and buy one.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody using a Mac with a Fusion drive? Can I turn it off relatively easily these days?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Anybody using a Mac with a Fusion drive? Can I turn it off relatively easily these days?

Why in the world would you turn off a fusion drive?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

I have a fusion-enabled Mac Mini. I'm not sure how or why one would turn it off. It works great, though it's clearly a stopgap technology until the economics of SSDs make sense at higher capacity. I'm pretty sure this will be my last ever spinning-disk machine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's worth the cost IMO. It was an extra $250 when I got my iMac.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm fairly confident you can't turn it off without remaking the partitions, as it's a pool of multiple drives appearing as a single partition, so only one of the drives isn't a fully qualified volume on its own.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

This is akin to turning off the fuel pumps in a jumbo jet in mid flight. poo poo will get wrecked in short order. And unless you have a bootable system waiting on another drive to either hook up to Thunderbolt/FW/USB you'll have a $2000 brick.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Don't you basically boot from an external (or whatever separate drive) and wipe out the whole Fusion setup?

...I guess that's not "turning it off" as much as just wiping it out completely though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They have been in mine.

Anecdotes are fun!

Anecdotes are indeed fun. But the positive reasoning for buying refurb often misses something important, and my negative anecdote helps illustrate it, so what the hell.

The argument for refurb is not just the price, it's that defective hardware has been fixed and therefore refurb quality ought to be better than new. However, this doesn't account for an uncommon yet important return category: subtly broken hardware which Apple's refurbishment process classifies as "good, scrub down the case so it looks new", because there is no such thing as a testing process which catches 100% of the problems.

I experienced this years ago with a PowerMac G5 refurb which would hard-lock while playing specific 3D games -- but only if the phase of the moon was right. Apple fixed it, but it took months of persistence on my part. And a saint of an Apple Genius willing to go way above and beyond the call of duty reproducing the freeze, after I persuaded him I wasn't wasting his time with hypochondria.

Assume for the sake of argument that 90% of new Macs are good, 9% obviously bad, 1% subtly bad. That means 1 out of 10 returns will not get repaired before being resold as refurbs. You'd still have a 10% chance of getting a lemon when buying refurb, only now all of the lemons are the annoying bastards.

Obviously I just pulled those numbers out of my rear end to illustrate a principle. I actually agree with the pro-refurb position in that people often return computers for reasons other than defects, which ought to skew the stats in favor of refurbs a bit. Anecdote #2: thanks to my poor judgement in thinking 128GB was going to be enough SSD, someone out there got a sweet deal on a 2011 13" MBA refurb.

Just gives me a bit of a twinge when people claim that refurb must be better than new. The risks of a dud probably do drop, but the same winnowing process also amplifies the chance that if you get a dud it won't be as easy to deal with.

So I guess the TLDR of my effortpost is that the Truth Is In The Middle, Maaan