Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Working in IT: gently caress mondays

e: poo poo today was tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 23, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

Working in IT: gently caress mondays

e: poo poo today was tuesday

It's always either Monday or the Sunday night as far as I'm concerned.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jesus, I would loving kill myself.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Working in IT: This post would poo poo more in a faster USB port

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
I believe I posted in this tread a while back asking for some pointers on wiring up racks.

Here is my latest effort. I'm almost happy with how it turned out. Any constructive criticism?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

frogbert posted:

I believe I posted in this tread a while back asking for some pointers on wiring up racks.

Here is my latest effort. I'm almost happy with how it turned out. Any constructive criticism?

Too pristine and organized with room for orderly expansion.

Do it again and start wrapping random cables around eachother to make them just shy of popping out on their own under the strain. Then burn the documentation and disappear into the night so no-one else can figure out what it should look like without rebuilding from scratch. Maybe start the vermin colony yourself by introducing a pregnant rat to a nice warm bundle of cables where it can nest safely out of arm's reach.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Working in IT 3.14: Now supporting Radius²
:golfclap:

frogbert posted:

Looks pretty good. A minor detail, but I'd personally route the cables from the lower panel in each panel pair through the cable loops below it rather than having them cross the panel above.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Chickenwalker posted:

My boss won't let me implement LDAP or RADIUS in any form because, anecdotally, his "wife's company has it and it sucks." We have 400 devices on our network.

What the gently caress?

If this is a Windows environment do you at least have AD? Tell him that's LDAP and watch his head explode.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 23, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

frogbert posted:

Labels?

Chickenwalker posted:

No, we have nothing. Any changes or updates have to be done by hand deskside if they're not already on our premade images. Otherwise everyone has local admin and we have basically no control.

:gonk:
quit.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Chickenwalker posted:

No, we have nothing. Any changes or updates have to be done by hand deskside if they're not already on our premade images. Otherwise everyone has local admin and we have basically no control.

You and turtle should get together

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seriously, where the gently caress do some of you work? God drat. Find new jobs if they suck that bad. You are learning nothing but bad habits.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Chickenwalker posted:

What industry are you in where this is an acceptable thing and the company isn't imploding?

Are there corporate share drives? Are they open to everybody on the network, or do you manually add access to new people? How the poo poo does anything get done?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Chickenwalker posted:

:frogout:

Seriously though. I can't believe the stories some of you guys have.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

frogbert posted:

This is very good work. Seriously- this is a pretty rack.

I have on thing: cables on the left half of the rack get routed to the left side. Cables connected on the right head to the right. Your cabinet-top switches have ports on the right side but the cables reach across the cabinet to the left.

I like my hair parted down the middle, :)

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
now that I'm done with school I've been messing around with some web design and Python stuff.

If I were to get fairly good at web application creation, and already have some network and security experience is that a recipe for a high salary position? I'm wondering if there is any demand for full end-to-end knowledge, like a person who can stand up the infrastructure in addition to being LAMP competent or something?

Just kind of tossing around ideas in my head for what I can play with in my free time, coding and development of useful things is attractive, but I'm by no means good enough to be considered for a job that requires it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

crunk dork posted:

now that I'm done with school I've been messing around with some web design and Python stuff.

If I were to get fairly good at web application creation, and already have some network and security experience is that a recipe for a high salary position? I'm wondering if there is any demand for full end-to-end knowledge, like a person who can stand up the infrastructure in addition to being LAMP competent or something?

Just kind of tossing around ideas in my head for what I can play with in my free time, coding and development of useful things is attractive, but I'm by no means good enough to be considered for a job that requires it.
Job prospects are good for any of those skills, but good jobs using all of those skills are rare (developers of public-facing products are increasingly doing ops work, but the networking you're familiar with is probably not the networking of the cloud). You should pick the one you like best and specialize in it for awhile.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

crunk dork posted:

If you want to do it all, you're looking to participate in the small and some medium business market (or the startup market). Once you get to a certain size, most CIOs are brought in with a hard-on for subject matter experts.

If you want high dollars, concentrate on a single field like network security. If you want variety, you'll often times sacrifice how high of a dollar you can get to.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Let's see how long I can get away with this one. My new, self-decided policy, is that if I am asked to make a change after hours, no matter how small, and have less than 24 hours notice (ie, I am told morning-of), my work day is over immediately so that I may prep the work.

I just took the rest of the day off so that I can be ready to change a few config values and cycle a few services.

Guess you're either going to start telling me things sooner or let me go.

I love what I do (my projects are huuuuuge) but there's really only about 3 people that I work with on a regular basis that I'd save from a fire.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 23, 2016

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

crunk dork posted:

Kinda smells like a DevOps-y combo to me. Would that interest you? Infrastructure knowledge with scripting/automation supporting hosted apps? Hot field to be in...

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

Kinda smells like a DevOps-y combo to me. Would that interest you? Infrastructure knowledge with scripting/automation supporting hosted apps? Hot field to be in...

I was kind of thinking about this too, but I'm not really sure what day-to-day activities are for those types of positions. I'm already a Jon Hendren Certified DevOps Thoughtlord.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

crunk dork posted:

I was kind of thinking about this too, but I'm not really sure what day-to-day activities are for those types of positions. I'm already a Jon Hendren Certified DevOps Thoughtlord.
Depends on the environment. Some people are looking for full-stack development imagineers to do three people's jobs for one salary, but typically it involves two disparate things:
  1. Automation work along the build-and-deploy pipeline, usually to facilitate some kind of continuous delivery
  2. Automating solutions to site reliability challenges -- monitoring, metrics, log analysis, predictive failure detection, etc.
It's a good path to go down if you have systems administration experience in addition to the networking stuff.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I have come to the conclusion that being a good sysadmin is 90% googlefu, 10% knowing which team in the org has the details you need to make a change(wtf is the route for this drat subnet!)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Let's see how long I can get away with this one. My new, self-decided policy, is that if I am asked to make a change after hours, no matter how small, and have less than 24 hours notice (ie, I am told morning-of), my work day is over immediately so that I may prep the work.

I just took the rest of the day off so that I can be ready to change a few config values and cycle a few services.

Guess you're either going to start telling me things sooner or let me go.

I love what I do (my projects are huuuuuge) but there's really only about 3 people that I work with on a regular basis that I'd save from a fire.

Are you a goon in a well job haver like turtlicious or dick trauma?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I have come to the conclusion that being a good sysadmin is 90% googlefu, 10% knowing which team in the org has the details you need to make a change(wtf is the route for this drat subnet!)
If your job is entirely break-fix work or working through implementation challenges and you have absolutely no operational responsibilities, maybe. I doubt Limoncelli/Hogan/Chalup would have written an entire book on this topic if the philosophy of doing it well could be distilled down into a one-liner.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

crunk dork posted:

Yes, advanced security engineering positions involve a fair amount of integration and knowledge of web applications. Mastering multiple problem domains and understanding how everything works together is what separates network architects from the guys fulfilling change requests.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Security is great because you can learn any IT specialty you like and add "security" to the end to make 30% more.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah it's as much of a buzz word these days as cloud. It's also a pretty vast field encompassing all sorts of poo poo, so it's about as much of a blanket term as saying "I work in IT." I'm speaking specifically to the infrastructure solutions side of things.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Yeah it's as much of a buzz word these days as cloud. It's also a pretty vast field encompassing all sorts of poo poo, so it's about as much of a blanket term as saying "I work in IT." I'm speaking specifically to the infrastructure solutions side of things.

That's where I get confused. I started my degree before I actually started working in IT and the more I learn the more confusing and isolated different schools of "infosec" appear to be.

Application security is extremely interesting to me but I'm not a computer science expert so it's all over my head at this point.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vulture Culture posted:

If your job is entirely break-fix work or working through implementation challenges and you have absolutely no operational responsibilities, maybe. I doubt Limoncelli/Hogan/Chalup would have written an entire book on this topic if the philosophy of doing it well could be distilled down into a one-liner.

The existence of a book on a certain philosophy does not a mean that those things actually make sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Pooh-Philosophers-Philosophy-Preamble-Winnie-The-Pooh/dp/0525455205

But while a certain way of thinking is needed to make sense of what you find, if thinking is work to you I don't know what to say.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

crunk dork posted:

That's where I get confused. I started my degree before I actually started working in IT and the more I learn the more confusing and isolated different schools of "infosec" appear to be.

Application security is extremely interesting to me but I'm not a computer science expert so it's all over my head at this point.

At a certain point, application and infrastructure security complement each other, especially when you have an application that management doesn't want to spend time and money to fix.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

At a certain point, application and infrastructure security complement each other, especially when you have an application that management doesn't want to spend time and money to fix.

Great, that's basically what I had narrowed it down to in my head. There shouldn't be separate solutions that are silo'd and security should overlap in some areas. Keith Barker had a good analogy for this where he compared layered security to being more like an artichoke than an onion.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

The existence of a book on a certain philosophy does not a mean that those things actually make sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Pooh-Philosophers-Philosophy-Preamble-Winnie-The-Pooh/dp/0525455205

But while a certain way of thinking is needed to make sense of what you find, if thinking is work to you I don't know what to say.
This is a big reach to contradict a thesis that's basically "you can't Google yourself into a workable business continuity plan."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vulture Culture posted:

This is a big reach to contradict a thesis that's basically "you can't Google yourself into a workable business continuity plan."

I've never seen sysadmin involved in that more that occasionally pointing out the flaws in what management has come up with. Or do you see sysadmin as part of management?

Tho this may have more to do with my background being entirely either enterprise of managed hosting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you're in an SMB a sysadmin would normally be involved in DR/BC planning.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I think it's more the point that sydadmins can be entirely self taught based on what comes up. Need to do dr? Look up plans that are out there, find a template on Google, apply it to the business model you're in. There's no previous experience required. You don't need to be trained in anything dr related to come up with a good dr plan, and that applies to just about everything in the field.

Would any of us be able to do our job without search engines giving 90% of the answers we need?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

I've never seen sysadmin involved in that more that occasionally pointing out the flaws in what management has come up with. Or do you see sysadmin as part of management?

Tho this may have more to do with my background being entirely either enterprise of managed hosting.

Beyond DR and BC though, would you not admit that there's a huge difference between someone who's able to Google solutions reactively (albeit effectively), and those who are able to systematically plan their projects out ahead of time, schedule their days and just generally optimize their own methods of doing things (not just talking about scripting here)?

I mean a lot of this can be learned behavior; IT people should by their nature recognize where things can be optimized and do what they can to do so, but they don't always look at themselves for that (for example, I'm posting here instead of working on a project). That's why those books exist and why those people are respected.

Not to put words in Vulture Culture's mouth, but I'm pretty sure that tossing out business continuity plan was just an example of things that need to be learned or studied, and not Googled.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Beyond DR and BC though, would you not admit that there's a huge difference between someone who's able to Google solutions reactively (albeit effectively), and those who are able to systematically plan their projects out ahead of time, schedule their days and just generally optimize their own methods of doing things (not just talking about scripting here)?

I mean a lot of this can be learned behavior; IT people should by their nature recognize where things can be optimized and do what they can to do so, but they don't always look at themselves for that (for example, I'm posting here instead of working on a project). That's why those books exist and why those people are respected.

Not to put words in Vulture Culture's mouth, but I'm pretty sure that tossing out business continuity plan was just an example of things that need to be learned or studied, and not Googled.

How is googling it not learning it? I don't mean just Google up an answer without thinking about it, but I'd bet you can find all the info you need to begin formulating a plan in an hour or 2 of research, and then the details specific to your org to get everything set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My "sysadmin" job has changed into more of an architect role over the years so I'm involved in the BCP/DR planning and holy god I wouldn't wish this on anyone.