Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
in other news my new work macbook pro has a crazy good battery life and it's extremely needs suiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Necc0 posted:

in other news my new work macbook pro has a crazy good battery life and it's extremely needs suiting

mine is still great a year on. i've bashed one corner of my screen tho and now there's backlight bleed where the aluminium compresses the edge of the glass panel

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

thank you,
https://twitter.com/Recode/status/788485203010392065

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my mom dropped her Mac Book Pro off where i work so our mac guy could fix it

apparently her trackpad stopped working properly because the battery got too old and puffed up (while still powering the laptop just fine)

Goodjob aple

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

apparently her trackpad stopped working properly because the battery got too old and puffed up (while still powering the laptop just fine)

Goodjob aple

imo should of turned into a ball of all consuming black flame like a Samsung

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

holy gently caress my holding out is going to pay off

i hope theyre elcrap downgradable

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/19/sports/football/bill-belichick-patriots-might-be-a-mac-guy.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyhjUFcXgo0

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

holy gently caress my holding out is going to pay off

i hope theyre elcrap downgradable

why would you want to downgrade?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

oh boy four USB-C ports (one of which will have to be how you charge the lappy) can't wait for my new rMBP to look like a goddamn spider with all the dongs

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

atomicthumbs posted:

Goodjob aple

gapple

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Binary Badger posted:

all the dongs

:q:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Goodjob aple
all (apple) batteries do that over time

i'm sure there's a good reason for that, but "service battery" doesn't really convey that my laptop is slowly imploding and will be completely bricked if I don't replace the battery

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've got a radio controlled car battery that's all puffy and i dunno what to do with it exactly

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i've got a radio controlled car battery that's all puffy and i dunno what to do with it exactly

gently caress it

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
lithium batteries are sealed and if you see them poofing up it is because there is a gas forming inside the battery. the battery works by basically moving around single ionized atoms of lithium, and if you move them too fast or heat up the battery too quickly, you end up making elemental lithium, which reacts with basically anything to make a gas.

it happens if you charge the battery with too much current, and it also happens as the electrodes break down over time and there might not be a place to put some of those lithium ions that move around during charge or discharge, so the gas builds up as the battery gets older. keeping it cool and charging it slowly during normal use will minimize the gas buildup, you might check if a laptop with prematurely a bulging battery is being used inside a case or used in a place where there is poor ventilation, like sitting on a sofa cushion that blocks the air vents or something.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ufarn posted:

all (apple) batteries do that over time

i'm sure there's a good reason for that, but "service battery" doesn't really convey that my laptop is slowly imploding and will be completely bricked if I don't replace the battery

the "good reason" is they use barely-encased lipo cells instead of normal cylindrical lithium cells, because it has to be very thin to fit inside the laptop.

i'm not sure i've ever seen this occur in a non-apple laptop/ultrabook, though, much less cause the computer to stop functioning correctly due to putting pressure on its components

one dude brought a mbp in with a trackpad that no longer clicked and had, in fact, cracked by itself because of the computer's internal pressure

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the macbook pro has such terrible thermal design that it needs two fans to stay even remotely cool lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

the "good reason" is they use barely-encased lipo cells instead of normal cylindrical lithium cells, because it has to be very thin to fit inside the laptop.

every laptop these days uses flat polymer cells. no one's used cylindrical 18650s for years (except like huge cheap garbage laptops)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm not sure i've ever seen this occur in a non-apple laptop/ultrabook, though, much less cause the computer to stop functioning correctly due to putting pressure on its components

one dude brought a mbp in with a trackpad that no longer clicked and had, in fact, cracked by itself because of the computer's internal pressure

I had a battery on a stinkpad crack out of the plastic housing. poo poo happens.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

most PC laptops will experience some other hardware failure due to cheap materials and flimsy hardware design. rendering them unusable well before the battery wears out

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
thank god for new macsbooks pro

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

most PC laptops will experience some other hardware failure due to cheap materials and flimsy hardware design. rendering them unusable well before the battery wears out

most.. just not mine. i have a lot of laptops that are totally hopeless unless plugged in. also just hopeless in gheneral coz old as gently caress

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sagebrush posted:

suck it off

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my thinkpad is still at 85% of full battery capacity after 2.5 years of daily use

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

next to each other our avs are too similar brother. I will do the noble thing and change soon

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Doc Block posted:

why would you want to downgrade?

because native 'dogshit garbage' instruments decided to drop half their hardware lineup being compatible with sierra

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sagebrush posted:

my thinkpad is still at 85% of full battery capacity after 2.5 years of daily use

early 2011 macbook pro still sitting at 86%

~~works on my machine~~

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

because native 'dogshit garbage' instruments decided to drop half their hardware lineup being compatible with sierra

it wouldn't be a new version of osx if you didn't have to rebuy all your hardware and software.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

just watch the new macbooks and macs come with something dumb like AMD graphics

it finally happened. i dropped my iphone 6 again because the drat thing is like a greased pig and it landed screen-down on a chipseal road, shattering the screen. while in the apple store for a $29 applecare replacement i decided to just go ahead and get a 64GB space gray SE and will sell the 6 once it is repaired.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

echinopsis posted:

next to each other our avs are too similar brother. I will do the noble thing and change soon

No way dude you're is great. There is room enough in this great forum for two cubelike avs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

THC posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cant wait for the new mac mini, and i'll get a dell 4k monitor to go with it :getin:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shifty Pony posted:

it finally happened. i dropped my iphone 6 again because the drat thing is like a greased pig and it landed screen-down on a chipseal road, shattering the screen. while in the apple store for a $29 applecare replacement i decided to just go ahead and get a 64GB space gray SE and will sell the 6 once it is repaired.

a wise choice

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

graph posted:

a wise choice

the se is so good

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Doc Block posted:

nice violation of medical privacy, jackass.

lmao

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

any now my attempts to use itunes to restore a backup just keeps rebooting the phone.

man is itunes a garbage fire.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why not restore from iclod? why do you even have itunes installed?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I ended up doing that but I had to redownload all my apps and rearrange my home screen using the horrible jiggle icons.

also all my photos are gone because iclod doesn't include those in a backup. but I planned for that by backing them up because I expected iTunes to gently caress it up somehow.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
iclod is supposed to back up your photos but some times it just stops and doesn't tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol if you sync photos to iclod. hope you like bored teens scopin' through your dickpics

• Locked thread