Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

After a few months of barely playing magic I'm going to modern FNM tonight. After not really enjoying Grixis Control, Coco/Chord, or Death's Shadow decks, and also now that I can play 6+ Liliana's thanks to the new planeswalker rule I've decided to go back to old reliable Jund. Here's the list I've got for tonight:

Deck: Jund

//Lands
3 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
3 Bloodstained Mire
3 Blooming Marsh
1 Forest
2 Overgrown Tomb
3 Raging Ravine
1 Stomping Ground
2 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Liliana of the Veil
2 Liliana, the Last Hope
2 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Terminate
2 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
4 Dark Confidant
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf

//Sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Collective Brutality
2 Damnation
1 Engineered Explosives
4 Fulminator Mage
2 Kitchen Finks
2 Surgical Extraction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
No Dismember anywhere in there? Seems crazy. I'd be on -1 Maelstrom Pulse +1 Dismember for sure, probably another in the side. It's very well positioned in the format right now imo

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

sit on my Facebook posted:

If you think these guys don't mess up combat math or sequencing you don't watch enough matches because they do it on camera, nevermind the matches we don't see, all the time.

Also the most important edge is being able to read your opponent, but deck building is a close second

Sure to the first point (would be better put as "mess up those things far less") but I really think its the other way around for the second.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

No Dismember anywhere in there? Seems crazy. I'd be on -1 Maelstrom Pulse +1 Dismember for sure, probably another in the side. It's very well positioned in the format right now imo

Nah, there's a lot of Titan/Ramp decks and brews floating around my FNM for a while so I assume it's still the same. I'm mostly just looking to make sure I can finish games off and not lose to a late game planeswalker or something.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

ThePeavstenator posted:

Nah, there's a lot of Titan/Ramp decks and brews floating around my FNM for a while so I assume it's still the same. I'm mostly just looking to make sure I can finish games off and not lose to a late game planeswalker or something.

Ah yeah that's fair enough, my opinion is slightly biased I guess because Eldrazi Tron is the most popular deck at my shop

Rides Naked posted:

Sure to the first point (would be better put as "mess up those things far less") but I really think its the other way around for the second.

That argument could definitely be made. I think it's probably reads > deck construction at the level where regular schmoes like us play, construction > reads for the pros

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ThePeavstenator posted:

After a few months of barely playing magic I'm going to modern FNM tonight. After not really enjoying Grixis Control, Coco/Chord, or Death's Shadow decks, and also now that I can play 6+ Liliana's thanks to the new planeswalker rule I've decided to go back to old reliable Jund. Here's the list I've got for tonight:

Three Abrupt Decays mainboard seems a bit much. What are you killing game 1 that isn't a creature 95% of the time?
Despite the depreciated usefulness of Lightning Bolt, I still like running a couple mainboard just because reach can be very important, especially against Death's Shadow decks.
Also, no Kolaghan's Command?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sickening posted:

I feel like a single gp not being able to fire due judges growing a backbone would be all that is needed to figure this poo poo out. But no, judges are loving idiots.
The problem with the judge program is that they have continuously made moves to make it more difficult for judges to get anything out of the program.

Exemplar program? Hope you live in a densely populated area where you can circlejerk the L2+ judges in your area or you get nothing (Source: Judge who lived in Canada, now Alaska [briefly the midwest where, shockingly, I got in on... 1 wave]).

GPs? Pay us to help run this tournament. We'll give you cards, too, I guess.

I stopped judging awhile ago because, as much as I love judging, 8-12 hours of my time is typically worth more to me than like... a booster box and a sugary drink. :golfclap:

But so long as we have urban areas with L1/L2s who are folks with no disposable income they'll have tons of folks who will bend over and take it whatever they're given to get more cards to play this game.

E: I still judge local events on occasion to help out my LGS, though they actually try to compensate me for my time/make it not unbearable to be there for 10+ hours because they know judging is a job and not the fun privilege WOTC wants us to think it is.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 6, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

AlternateNu posted:

Three Abrupt Decays mainboard seems a bit much. What are you killing game 1 that isn't a creature 95% of the time?
Despite the depreciated usefulness of Lightning Bolt, I still like running a couple mainboard just because reach can be very important, especially against Death's Shadow decks.
Also, no Kolaghan's Command?

The decays are for Stubborn Denials, exile enchantments in UWx control decks, and ramp artifacts and enchantments that are floating around. K Command is a winmore vs the decks it's good against and usually the matchup determines the 2 modes you want anyway. Grudge is better against Affinity, Liliana the Last Hope can get back more than one creature over the course of using her, and LotV and hand disruption already handles the discard.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

ThePeavstenator posted:

K Command is a winmore vs the decks it's good against and usually the matchup determines the 2 modes you want anyway.

Maybe it plays differently for Jund than for every other deck it's in, otherwise I couldn't really disagree with this more

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Their little info-blurb just said that Brad Nelson has a career *67%* win rate in standard matches. That's fuckin nuts

brad nelson stole one of my decks after playing against me on modo. that guy sucks.

Mikujin posted:

The problem with the judge program is that they have continuously made moves to make it more difficult for judges to get anything out of the program.

Exemplar program? Hope you live in a densely populated area where you can circlejerk the L2+ judges in your area or you get nothing (Source: Judge who lived in Canada, now Alaska [briefly the midwest where, shockingly, I got in on... 1 wave]).

I stopped judging awhile ago because, as much as I love judging, 8-12 hours of my time is typically worth more to me than like... a booster box and a sugary drink. :golfclap:

But so long as we have urban areas with L1/L2s who are folks with no disposable income they'll have tons of folks who will bend over and take it whatever they're given to get more cards to play this game.

E: I still judge local events on occasion to help out my LGS, though they actually try to compensate me for my time/make it not unbearable to be there for 10+ hours because they know judging is a job and not the fun privilege WOTC wants us to think it is.

i really hate that wotc treat judges this way, but they have a history of abusing volunteer work force and saying "but dont you LOVE mtg? we cant afford to pay anyone you wouldnt want to cause the game to end by not giving us very cheap or free labor, would you?"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

rabidsquid posted:

brad nelson stole one of my decks after playing against me on modo. that guy sucks.

He's a NETDECKER!? Is nothing sacred!?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

He's a NETDECKER!? Is nothing sacred!?

i was really proud of my dumb rear end mono blue architect deck and it legit pissed me off that he spun it like he invented it

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Maybe it plays differently for Jund than for every other deck it's in, otherwise I couldn't really disagree with this more

For Jund it's diversified removal/value. The "discard, get back creature" modes are the worst pair unless you're hitting your opponent's last card. Ideally you use the 2 damage to kill something and then also hit their hand but if you're against CoCo and/or Chord decks you're usually winning anyway, same thing with Affinity. There's no Snapcasters to loop it with like in Grixis. The only thing I really lose is some extra mainboard artifact removal and the ability to instant speed make an empty-handed opponent discard on their draw step.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Mid FNM report: 2-0 so far vs burn and bogles

Burn was 2-1, lost g1, finks makes the matchup a little better and collective brutality still destroys that deck

Bogles was a 2-0, they played the white cartouche that makes a 1/1, g1 I lived the liliana dream of killing the 1/1 with LtLH and then LotV forced them to sac their slippery bogle, g2 I didn't find a Lili but did maelstrom pulse 3 ethereal armors off 1 bogle

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

me, every time someone talks about bogles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmUbrGLBhzk

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

me, every time someone talks about bogles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmUbrGLBhzk

I really expected Krieger.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

Mid FNM report: 2-0 so far vs burn and bogles

Burn was 2-1, lost g1, finks makes the matchup a little better and collective brutality still destroys that deck

Bogles was a 2-0, they played the white cartouche that makes a 1/1, g1 I lived the liliana dream of killing the 1/1 with LtLH and then LotV forced them to sac their slippery bogle, g2 I didn't find a Lili but did maelstrom pulse 3 ethereal armors off 1 bogle

Are you seeing a lot of people taking advantage of the new planeswalker rules? I ended up skipping FNM tonight but PWs are a terrible thing for Mill to encounter so I'm a little worried about the new rule.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
For now, Liliana and Gideon are going to be the problematic planeswalkers.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

rabidsquid posted:

As I've stated in the past, when I play Bogles I always pronounce it this way.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

InterrupterJones posted:

As I've stated in the past, when I play Bogles I always pronounce it this way.

There's another way to pronounce it?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm surprised that all the Temur decks are going away from Rhonas... It was so good at GP DC for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Tuning into a tournament where I don't recognize half of the cards makes the games incomprehensible. I get why this isn't appealing to newcomers.

Also maybe the glare is particularly bad this time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It really sucks that in standard games can be essentially completely decided on whether someone plays their third land on time or not

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Half the people say boggles the other half say bo gulls

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mikujin posted:

The "career judges" treat GPs as a place to hang out with their friends and an excuse to see varying degrees of exotic locations. People from New Jersey getting to offset some of the cost of a trip to Spain by working a tournament for three days and taking some of the overtime shifts, that sort of thing. There are players who grind GPs and SCG events with similar expected value.

I'm supposed to judge a PPTQ on Sunday and I'm dreading it. I used to love judging, but now I realize I'm going to be stuck in a room for 8-10 hours for a box and the goal of keeping my L2, which I only care about as a status symbol because I once cared a lot about it. And no one will notice me for it, unless something goes wrong, in which case players will hate me for spoiling their fun. Judging competitive events is a thankless job.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PJOmega posted:

There are two ways to spell and pronounce the word: bogle or boggle. The creature is also sometimes called a bogie. The boogeyman is also a related term.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

BJPaskoff posted:

The "career judges" treat GPs as a place to hang out with their friends and an excuse to see varying degrees of exotic locations. People from New Jersey getting to offset some of the cost of a trip to Spain by working a tournament for three days and taking some of the overtime shifts, that sort of thing. There are players who grind GPs and SCG events with similar expected value.

I'm supposed to judge a PPTQ on Sunday and I'm dreading it. I used to love judging, but now I realize I'm going to be stuck in a room for 8-10 hours for a box and the goal of keeping my L2, which I only care about as a status symbol because I once cared a lot about it. And no one will notice me for it, unless something goes wrong, in which case players will hate me for spoiling their fun. Judging competitive events is a thankless job.
It only gets worse if you're not in a major center, too. We have so few judges up here in Alaska but a massive player-base, so as an L1 I was still judging PPTQs whenever they came up. Got tired of it, so I mentored 5 L0s up through L1 status.

Which instantly burnt out those judges, and myself, because after a painstaking amount of work and effort you still can't get recognition from any L2+ judges because they're busy circlejerking over memories of better times in the only other city in the NW Region (Seattle). Who will tell you how great the exemplar program is.

Meanwhile the only judge up here who judges regularly, by any means, only does so because he is also the an employee for the LGS so it's literally his job.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

There are two ways to spell and pronounce the word: bogle or boggle. The creature is also sometimes called a bogie. The boogeyman is also a related term.

Well now I need to get all of my boggles altered to wear disco jackets and afros.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Tainen posted:

Check your emails for confirmation of priority Arena beta access. I just got mine.

Same. It claims I got it because I play Magic Online (I did an IRL prerelease actually) but whatever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PJOmega posted:

Well now I need to get all of my boggles altered to wear disco jackets and afros.

A bogle is something like a goblin. They're in Scottish and Northumbrian folklore. Bogles just like to gently caress with people and aren't malicious. The term "boggle the mind" is related to the creature.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

TwistedNails posted:

Half the people say boggles it wrong the other half say bo gulls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0fSBy8z1P8

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
$250? This guy's got a very different definition of "budget" than I do.

Been toying around with this pile on Untap, and it seems to actually be very solid. Gets a surprising amount of lifegain, which really helps win out against other aggressive decks. (Never / Return and Walk The Plank are the current budget-filler for Vraska's and Fatal Push.)

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

PJOmega posted:

I think it's not so much the pronunciation as the emphasis. After years of playing it I've just about mastered the confused Hank Hill delivery.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

$250? This guy's got a very different definition of "budget" than I do.

Been toying around with this pile on Untap, and it seems to actually be very solid. Gets a surprising amount of lifegain, which really helps win out against other aggressive decks. (Never / Return and Walk The Plank are the current budget-filler for Vraska's and Fatal Push.)

That's less than half the price of most Modern decks.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

somebody earlier described playing bogles (which I pronounce "boh-gul") as being as uninteractive as a slot machine, is this true? I already play green stompy, I'm not super worried about massive combo potential, but I do want some level of control over my deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Omar al-Bishie posted:

somebody earlier described playing bogles (which I pronounce "boh-gul") as being as uninteractive as a slot machine, is this true? I already play green stompy, I'm not super worried about massive combo potential, but I do want some level of control over my deck.

Yes it's true. I do think that the best place to be in Modern is uninteractive decks but then again those decks are a bore to play.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Omar al-Bishie posted:

The uninteractive part is mostly that it doesn't "interact" with your opponent (no removal, no counters, doesn't really care about the opponents plan at all).

The slot machine part is 'cause sometimes Bogles just sorta fails to come together and if your opponent manages to disrupt your plan (makes you sacrifice your stacked up Bogle or blows up all your Auras) you probably flat lose. A lot of decks obviously can't interact with you though so you end up with pretty random results in matches.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 7, 2017

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

The uninteractive part is mostly that it doesn't "interact" with your opponent (no removal, no counters, doesn't really care about the opponents plan at all).

The slot machine part is 'cause sometimes Bogles just sorta fails to come together and if your opponent manages to disrupt your plan (makes you sacrifice your stacked up Bogle or blows up all your Auras) you probably flat lose. A lot of decks obviously can't interact with you though so you end up with pretty random results in matches.

that's how I lose as bogles on xmage lol. Liliana wrecks it!

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The defence against sacrifice effects is to to play dryad arbors and fetch them up when needed, I'll admit it's pretty weak against LotV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

that would mean buying fetchlands which is out of reach for me right now unfortunately, at least on paper. for my other decks (stompy and weenie), is there anything that helps vs sacrifice? those decks really lose steam when that happens