Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Odddzy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3P-IzKDHs

Do this to not be grapevined, the rest of the video isn't necessarily really applicable to you if you do IBJJF Gi rulesets in your gym. But it teaches the right movements and something I use to avoid being grapevined.

Well this is what I'm going to be doing to the whitebelts on Friday (minus the heel hooks, of course).

Love this sort of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ate an inadvertent knee to the face while in top half guard tonight. Thank god for mouth guards.

Also I think I discovered (for myself that is) a neat little setup to a double leg from a seated position against a standing opponent.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

Well this is what I'm going to be doing to the whitebelts on Friday (minus the heel hooks, of course).

Love this sort of stuff.

I've been using that "step on his ankle" move against grapevines and hooks for ages, so this is my jam too.

Interestingly enough, I'd been doing it for like a year before anyone did it to me. That poo poo hurts!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Goddamn the wormguard is loving annoying, more annoying than spiderguard. Had another blue belt today use it on me today and I felt a little helpless until I realized that the defense is very similar to handling de la riva. Im a pressure passer so I like to be low, but I feel like I have a good base while standing, but when they kick the leg out same side as the lapel grip I felt very very unstable.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
4th Gi lesson today, slowly getting fitter, am now beginning to understand why people keep holding my sleeve and collar, its very annoying. I need to figure out why and how to grip and what to do with said grips when I am holding on.

At the moment, it almost seems detrimental because im holding on to something but dont know why.

Anyone know of any really basic white belt videos on grips?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I watched this one and it helped me, but it needs to be vetted by someone else.

https://youtu.be/vhl5PQSbZM0

Edit: Also of course ask your coach. I asked mine in addition to the video and that very day we had a mini lesson on how to turn into or out of grips, stuff like that.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 11, 2019

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Goddamn the wormguard is loving annoying, more annoying than spiderguard. Had another blue belt today use it on me today and I felt a little helpless until I realized that the defense is very similar to handling de la riva. Im a pressure passer so I like to be low, but I feel like I have a good base while standing, but when they kick the leg out same side as the lapel grip I felt very very unstable.

One weird trick to beat the worm guard and get rich: clasp the fist gripping your lapel in both hands and crush it into a diamond

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I watched this one and it helped me, but it needs to be vetted by someone else.

https://youtu.be/vhl5PQSbZM0

Edit: Also of course ask your coach. I asked mine in addition to the video and that very day we had a mini lesson on how to turn into or out of grips, stuff like that.
I don't have time to watch the video but Chewie generally puts out good stuff.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One weird trick to beat the worm guard and get rich: clasp the fist gripping your lapel in both hands and crush it into a diamond

Ill def try that!

We did go over the grip too. For wormguard to be effective the grip needs to be switched from one hand to the other. If I can control the hand that is being passed to, press the near side leg that is playing like a de la riva hook, down and then smash the far side leg down with my hip and slide off it, i can break the far side grip...if that makes sense. But yeah making sure he doesnt pass the lapel off to the other hand looks critical, if he does Im a bit F'd. The guard is really annoying, but its also a fun challenge to get past it. Really tests out your base.

Thats kind of the fun of coming into open mat: you never know what you are going to get hit with.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuns posted:

I don't have time to watch the video but Chewie generally puts out good stuff.

His counter to top side control (he calls it a "shoulder roll") to do a reversal/set up an escape has helped me a lot. I was able to get a few of those off against some blue belts which felt really good. I enjoy his videos, also his "Dear Anne" stuff has been a bit helpful too though not always directly.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Chewie and Kent Peters are probably my favorite YouTube BJJ channels. Love anything Lachlan Giles puts out too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Speaking of...

this was still on my clipboard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSAYNVWIbnA

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Chael Sonnen apparently just got his black belt. How long has it been since he said he'd never lay on his back and wrap his legs around a man?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Speaking of...

this was still on my clipboard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSAYNVWIbnA

We were drilling mount escapes in class, and I was saying to my partner that my favourite mount escape was the one where you flatten your bottom leg to get into half guard, and my second favourite is pushing back into SLX, and that i needed to find a way to fit those two escapes together and clean up the details. Then he posted this the next day because he’s a sweet angel boy

Do you think that his top arm/forearm frame is in any danger of being armbarred? That’s what people tend to do to me when I go for that flat leg escape, but I wonder if that top frame he uses would keep their hips too far away to effectively armbar, and that maybe my problem was just lovely framing. It’s not like they ever finish the armbar, it just seems to be a common response among my training partners

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
A great moment in the difference between experienced and inexperienced

I rolled with a white belt and purple belt with similar openings. They both got an early advantage and I was able to get a solid half guard. The white belt spent three minutes trying to free his leg until I had an opening and reversed him.

The purple belt just said "its cool, I dont need that leg" and collar choked me

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Gordon beefing with everyone goddamn. Makes me like him even less.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

We were drilling mount escapes in class, and I was saying to my partner that my favourite mount escape was the one where you flatten your bottom leg to get into half guard, and my second favourite is pushing back into SLX, and that i needed to find a way to fit those two escapes together and clean up the details. Then he posted this the next day because he’s a sweet angel boy

Do you think that his top arm/forearm frame is in any danger of being armbarred? That’s what people tend to do to me when I go for that flat leg escape, but I wonder if that top frame he uses would keep their hips too far away to effectively armbar, and that maybe my problem was just lovely framing. It’s not like they ever finish the armbar, it just seems to be a common response among my training partners

The top arm is in more danger of being arm barred than if it were flat, but in my experience that's only a serious threat if the guy on top can get the right grip/scoop it, which is not likely to happen if you're tight. So it might be lovely framing? But if it's a lovely arm bar, you're usually out, so success I guess?

I have a similar thing happen to me, and yeah, it's a pretty low percentage.

Anyway we drilled these today too and they were nice.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

spb posted:

Gordon beefing with everyone goddamn. Makes me like him even less.

Makes me like him even more. Take the match, Galvao

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

omg chael crash posted:

Makes me like him even more. Take the match, Galvao

From what I read, it was also Galvao that started the beef. It would be a pretty cool match.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
is this a work or is everyone in the BJJ world just a huge baby

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Back on the mats today after a holiday staph infection, not to be confused with my previous ringworm infection. Got my elbow slightly popped because I was in top cross ashi/ inside senkaku/ honey saddle and for some reason didn't think I could get finished with a kimura from there. Respect kimura grips everywhere friends.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

is this a work or is everyone in the BJJ world just a huge baby

Yes and yes

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Rolled with a professional fighter today who had unclipped fingernails and wanted desperately not be be guillotined by me. I have chunks of skin missing from my fingers.

Cut your loving fingernails folks, and don't peel single digits.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

arrogant poo poo talk is bad unless you can back it up like gordon does in which case arrogant poo poo talk owns

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Hey 02-6611-0142-1, have you come to train with me at One Purpose and I didn't know it? Bunch of people from your gym have been recently because of the drama.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I haven’t, it’s a bit far for me. I lay low for a week at L5, and now I’m back at Gb doing the 6ams. Everything has stabilized on my side of the fence for now, and I’m back with my favourite teacher, but I think the people at your gym are very invested in the return of the head coach, and they’re waiting to see what he does. It was a large gym with a lot of members.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Essentially the morning crew have been successfully rehomed but the night crew are still wandering like sad ronin

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Cool

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lol Caio terra’s responses to Gordon are hilarious. ‘There’s nothing wrong with being a woman or being gay.’

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

Lol Caio terra’s responses to Gordon are hilarious. ‘There’s nothing wrong with being a woman or being gay.’

Not only was it hilarious but awesome. I would love to see Caio go at it with Ryan in the Gi, that would be an interesting match despite the size difference.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Alright lads its another Willie Dee post.

About a year ago I was taught a funny move, but have no idea what its called and have no idea how it sank into my memory, but tonight I did it 3 times and caught other white belts in it, but have no idea how or why I did it.

Its from half guard, and they think they are winning in top position, but you wrap your outside leg around theres and then stretch it, and it pulls there own leg into a sort of knee/ankle bar calf squeeze thing with your legs.

I am sorry I don't even know how to explain it never mind how I know how to do it or how I do it, because I do it without thinking and by feel, I have no idea whats actually going on down there.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Sounds like the lockdown

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, sounds like the lockdown, it works but be careful if you use it against other unexperienced people, it can pop a knee and some people think they've can take it but then then pop it goes.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I think it can also stifle your bottom half guard development if you use it to stall.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
That's it! Thanks guys.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

old.flv posted:

I think it can also stifle your bottom half guard development if you use it to stall.

Exactly what I did when I learned lockdown. I don't use it anymore because all I could do (as a lovely whitebelt, who was always on bottom) was stall and nothing else.

Maybe I should revisit it as a lovely bluebelt...

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Whip, suck, uppercut, duck.

Electric chairs and old school sweeps. Abandon lockdown and come up to dogfight. Lots of options.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

white belt vs white belt electric chairs are good times.

I spent a lot of the middle part of my white belt progression using lockdown, and that developed into a z-guard game. My current primary use for lockdown is to take pressure off of the shoulder of justice so I can start shrimping around a bit, but I've also started electric chairing people again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I admit I loving love lockdown half guard but only because other white belts cant adapt to it. I feel like most whites and some blues when they get locked down focus exclusively on getting the leg free which gives you options.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

My current primary use for lockdown is to take pressure off of the shoulder of justice so I can start shrimping around a bit, but I've also started electric chairing people again.

Is the electric chairs primary purpose to get to (in order of priority(?)):

1. The vaporizer
2. Complete the electric chair submission or
3. get over the leg into like a leg drag type position

Which do you guys normally go for? The EC submission and Vaporizer are nasty submissions and are generally frowned up in Gi, but #3 I use every once and a while.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I admit I loving love lockdown half guard but only because other white belts cant adapt to it. I feel like most whites and some blues when they get locked down focus exclusively on getting the leg free which gives you options.

The lockdown is actually pretty easy to get out once you understand what your opponent is doing to your leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The lockdown is actually pretty easy to get out once you understand what your opponent is doing to your leg.

Yeah but they dont know that

Let em tug for three minutes till they are off balance