Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fungah! posted:

It's honestly kind of depressing that we can render Amano's art pretty well now, long after he's really into doing art direction for video games.

I would kill for a game done with Amano's art. The closest we've come is Dissidia, with the Nomura-fied designs.

There's a project he's working on which at one point was going to be multimedia, but seems to have just ended up as an illustrated novel. They did a pretty swank trailer for it though.

It's also one of the few that he's both illustrated, and authored. I can tell you this though; a writer, he ain't.

Also, have a better picture of Robo-god:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

And to be fair, IX does an okay job. Freya, Amarant, and Quina are hanger-ons, but Zidane, Dagger, Eiko, Steiner, and Vivi all have satisfactory character arcs tied into the story itself.

And Quina and Freya at least get their moments in the sun, even if they don't have real arcs. The only real outlier is Amarant.

Amarant gets a little arc that concludes with the scene at the Fire Shrine (he gets a little interaction with Freya which is more apparent if you view their ATE in Treno during Disc 3.)

Honestly, after the trainwreck of character development that was VIII it was really nice to see a third character (Vivi) essentially get main character status in terms of plot.

Quina's the only one that's unfocused and really, it's Quina. It's like asking for a deep and meaningful story between Mog and Umaro.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I would kill for a game done with Amano's art. The closest we've come is Dissidia, with the Nomura-fied designs.

There's a project he's working on which at one point was going to be multimedia, but seems to have just ended up as an illustrated novel. They did a pretty swank trailer for it though.

It's also one of the few that he's both illustrated, and authored. I can tell you this though; a writer, he ain't.

Purple Lipstick Robot Man is very disappointed in you.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I like that design, it's a throwback that looks pretty striking. The standard robot deity look is cool but a little done.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Can he even turn his head looking like that? :psyduck:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Krad posted:

Can he even turn his head looking like that? :psyduck:

Why do you think he made Lightning his agent? Her freakish giraffe neck, and ability to turn her head 2700 allows her to do what he cannot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Robo-God looks cool, about what I'd expect for the god of a world where the settings shift in technology like the tides.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
S-E released a quasi-live-action trailer for LR. Maybe someone at the PR firm realized how hosed up her proportions are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBROrx4kGKU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Final Fantasy X|X-2 coming out 18th March 2014 in the US, 21st March in Europe

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-18-final-fantasy-10-10-2-hd-arrive-for-europe-next-march

It's coming out in Japan on the 26th December 2013, so we get it an entire season later. I know that's not exactly the best date to release something in the West, but are we still having to put up with delayed international releases from Square Enix? They also just got Lightning Returns, which doesn't come out until 11th February here, but I'm not really upset by that.

Any word on what the epilogue/bonus content they've build contains/is getting translated/voicework? I know it contains more story but I'm curious as to whats going on with that. Not sure I can handle more Tidus voice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

It's coming out in Japan on the 26th December 2013, so we get it an entire season later. I know that's not exactly the best date to release something in the West, but are we still having to put up with delayed international releases from Square Enix? They also just got Lightning Returns, which doesn't come out until 11th February here, but I'm not really upset by that.

It's delayed because they are expecting it to sell, while 26th of December is literally post-Christmas and a timeframe when companies send games out to die. It's worse than 'not the best date to release something." It's completely loving awful and would have a significant impact on sales.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I just booted up XIII-2 for the first time in ages and forgot I grabbed the Gilgamesh boss DLC (PS3 $10 minimum, just threw it in there because it was cheap and, you know, Gilgamesh).

How the hell do you beat him? I've finished the game and everyone is 99 everything, but I've been smashing him for half an hour and have barely whittled away anything.

I can't seem to get poison to stick which is my usual go to move when I face an enemy like this.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

PTizzle posted:

I just booted up XIII-2 for the first time in ages and forgot I grabbed the Gilgamesh boss DLC (PS3 $10 minimum, just threw it in there because it was cheap and, you know, Gilgamesh).

How the hell do you beat him? I've finished the game and everyone is 99 everything, but I've been smashing him for half an hour and have barely whittled away anything.

I can't seem to get poison to stick which is my usual go to move when I face an enemy like this.

You basically have to capture and breed a specific monster to attack him fast enough (don't remember its name). I managed to do it with one of the Lightnings instead.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Any word on what the epilogue/bonus content they've build contains/is getting translated/voicework? I know it contains more story but I'm curious as to whats going on with that. Not sure I can handle more Tidus voice.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 just left the new scenes unvoiced, although that's probably just because the actors are so much older now that it would sound out of place. It's not like they weren't around, since they did a lot of new voicework for Days.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 just left the new scenes unvoiced, although that's probably just because the actors are so much older now that it would sound out of place. It's not like they weren't around, since they did a lot of new voicework for Days.

The original Final Mix also left them unvoiced, and it was probably for the same reason.

Now, why the scenes in KH2 Final Mix were also left unvoiced, I have no idea. Probably money that they didn't have back then.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

Now, why the scenes in KH2 Final Mix were also left unvoiced, I have no idea. Probably money that they didn't have back then.

They had enough money to completely remake Chains of Memories in 3D, with voice acting, and include it as a freebie in KHII Final Mix+, so :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

They had enough money to completely remake Chains of Memories in 3D, with voice acting, and include it as a freebie in KHII Final Mix+, so :shrug:

What I've heard with regards to that is that CoM 3D was in production, was cancelled, and was revived at the last minute to add extra value to the package, so it's less that they had the money and more that they had a bunch of scrapped material that they tossed in. Re: CoM itself is a lot of recycled content to begin with so it probably wasn't that expensive compared to rehiring american voice actors.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
S'more pics, I guess:

If nothing else, it's going to be pretty to look at.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am so sick of Cid Raines. Way to go SE. You made a Cid I hate more than ineffectual principle Cid.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Do we know what the deal with Real Serah is yet? Because Not-Serah and Real Serah are totally going to be confused for each other and make Light get dragged into a boss fight at some point. Probably against Snow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artix posted:

Do we know what the deal with Real Serah is yet? Because Not-Serah and Real Serah are totally going to be confused for each other and make Light get dragged into a boss fight at some point. Probably against Snow.

I'm hoping everyone in universe can instantly tell them apart and it only confuses the players. In game, there were be numerous sections where you have to rely on real serah and avoid fake serah's lies. Getting too many wrong and the game will pop up with a mandatory 50 page datalog detailing all the ways the two characters are different.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

"Dengeki talks physics and movement in XIII-3:LR posted:

In the most recent Dengeki interview, the development team discussed, among other things, the challenges of creating a system with so much varied and customizable equipment that actually appeared out of battle. TensaiShojo illuminated the bulk of the interview for us, with some interesting development reveals mixed in. Lumina {the Not-Serah}, for example, is supposed to look like a 12-years-old girl. Her extravagant movements were made to look especially realistic.

In Final Fantasy XIII-2, Serah and Noel had alternate outfits but they were few enough for the developers to check thoroughly. However, in Lightning Returns, Lightning will have over 80 outfits and this makes it practically impossible for the developers to check every little detail. For example, if Lightning is carrying a long weapon on her back, it might occasionally go through her outfit. The developers made sure to fix major problems, like keeping her dresses and skirts from flying up while she fights. There were many times when her underwear became entirely exposed in the more revealing costumers. The Miqo’te outfit was especially difficult to fix because the skirt wouldn’t stop turning over. Despite careful adjustments, players can freely move the camera during cutscenes or when taking screenshots, so panty-shots couldn’t be eliminated entirely in those costumes.*

Weapons and shields were also very difficult to alter. There is a scene where Lightning points her sword at an enemy, but depending on the size of the chosen weapon, the sword would sometimes pierce the enemy when it wasn’t supposed to. The developers did their best to scale the weapons to look natural during scenes, but some weapons like the sword you seem to obtain from a Behemoth, are hilariously huge.

Next, the creators talked about the tone of the story. Final Fantasy XIII-2 was originally planned to be a light-hearted game where fans could enjoy playing with their favorite characters again, so a few staff members were very surprised when the story took a darker tone and grew into a trilogy. The story of Lightning Returns is obviously darker in keeping with that twist, but players need not worry about the end.

The two developers were then asked about their favorite scenes. Tanaka-san likes a scene where, while sneaking into Yusnaan, Lightning gets embarrassed before she gets up on the stage. He also enjoys the entire scenario of healing the wounded chocobo. Miyake-san likes a certain scene with Sazh that was not discussed at length. The two also warn players of going through the game too fast, as some cutscenes can be easily missed. Of course, players can go back and find such scenes with multiple playthroughs.

Scenes were apparently a little harder for the development team to complete this time around. The cutscene developers had a tough time creating events because not all of the character models and background environments were complete. They had to use many placeholders and unfinished settings before they went back and polished the scenes. In Lightning Returns, all of the locations are absolutely new, so, compared to FFXIII-2, it took a longer time for the world to be created. Also, the story was not entirely complete before development began, so there were quite a few times when scenes had to be redone in order to meet Toriyama-san’s alterations**. As for the character voices, in the past the voice-actors recorded their lines before any cutscenes were fully completed. The creators then used the voices as a base for the characters’ emotions and lip-movement. This time, the voice-actors recorded after the scenes were finished.

* Thank you, Dengeki for poining out that panty-shots exist in this game. This is vital information that isn't creepy at all!
**Oh boy :suicide:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 19, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

* Thank you, Dengeki for poining out that panty-shots exist in this game. This is vital information that isn't creepy at all!
**Oh boy :suicide:

Why do I feel like the second one resulted in more of the first one?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is giving me uncomfortable flashbacks to sorceresses Adel and Ultimecia from 8.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
God damnit, I want this game to get released already so we never, ever have to hear about it again.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It might even be good! I'm holding out hope that the Majora's Mask parallels will save it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Krad posted:

God damnit, I want this game to get released already so we never, ever have to hear about it again.

That sure as gently caress didn't work for the first two games in the series.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly, the more serious tone of the plot, and the whole "People can't die of natural causes, but those that do end up dead, cannot be replaced as children cannot be born into this cursed world" premise is pretty loving rad, and has a ton of potential.

I mean yes it's Toriyama so we can expect that interesting premise to be completely ruined, but maybe not. Also ~exploring~.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Concerning they've seemingly forgotten about the Vita for X/X-2 :(

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Pesky Splinter posted:

S'more pics, I guess:

If nothing else, it's going to be pretty to look at.

Christ, I'm getting to the point where I just can't look at Final Fantasy screenshots anymore, it's all so damned generic and soulless. The franchise has become a parody of itself :(

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Christ, I'm getting to the point where I just can't look at Final Fantasy screenshots anymore, it's all so damned generic and soulless. The franchise has become a parody of itself :(

:)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

XIV is cheating. :colbert:

(I want to try it so bad. Game needs a trial.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Concerning they've seemingly forgotten about the Vita for X/X-2 :(

March is forgotten? They're pushing that bad boy out on schedule. Its a shame for me personally because I just finished up a nostalgia replay of FFX and March is way too soon to pay for that privelege on the go. Might buy it just for FFX-2 though. That game is still the gold standard of FF sequels.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dross posted:

That sure as gently caress didn't work for the first two games in the series.

It's mostly the creepy as hell interviews that keep coming up. I was excited for this game at one point, now I hate the idea of having to use Lightning and no one else for the whole game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

It's no good. The infection...

It's spreading. :zombie:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Krad posted:

It's mostly the creepy as hell interviews that keep coming up. I was excited for this game at one point, now I hate the idea of having to use Lightning and no one else for the whole game.

Now I'm imagining a director's commentary track that's basically Toriyama explaining how every facet of the world makes Lightning cool as gently caress.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Toriyama is just the best because he looks exactly as creepy as he sounds in his interviews.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's gotten to a point where I just laugh at every new piece of information about LR, S-E or just gaming news outlets in general. FF14 looks nice but I just don't have the time for games like that anymore. I'm still buying LR because I need to experience the train wreck for myself. It's just kind of sad that I'm much more excited for the FFX/X-2 remake.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Renoistic posted:

It's gotten to a point where I just laugh at every new piece of information about LR, S-E or just gaming news outlets in general. FF14 looks nice but I just don't have the time for games like that anymore. I'm still buying LR because I need to experience the train wreck for myself.

Can you at least buy it used so that Square doesn't get any money from the sale and isn't encouraged to make more of this stuff?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The_Franz posted:

Can you at least buy it used so that Square doesn't get any money from the sale and isn't encouraged to make more of this stuff?

But what about the Cloud costume!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Renoistic posted:

But what about the Cloud costume!?

I can't see any panties in that.