Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Oh Japan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSA709zNzY

Universal Orlando gets this in around 3 years, not soon enough, but it comes with a brand new theme park (Epic Universe), so I'm good.

Beyond that there's a rumor that Toon Lagoon at Islands of Adventure will be razed and rebuilt into Middle Earth in a few years.

For what it worth the aerial rendering at around 2:30 is very accurate, including art style, it's crazy how well they nailed the Super Mario 3D World look.

--
– Opening before the Summer Olympics at Universal Studios Japan in Osaka
– Followed by Universal Parks in Hollywood, Orlando and Singapore
– “No limit!” is the new brand slogan
– USJ marketing director Ayumu Yamamoto says: If Disney is the dreamworld then USJ is the wake world where we will energize you and make you feel alive
– Super Nintendo World will use tech + smartphone app
– Wearable wrist bands called the “Power Up Band” will make you feel like you’re part of the game world
– You can collect digital coins and compete with others
– “A life-size, living video game” – Thierry Coup
– Interactive experience.
-- Free Switch renting

Atricks fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 14, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
‘S too bad there only seems to be Mario/Kart/Yoshi stuff. You’d think at least Zelda and Donkey Kong would get some representation.

I know The Pokémon Company is its own thing separate from Nintendo, but they’d probably be very successful in the amusement park game.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Nanigans posted:

‘S too bad there only seems to be Mario/Kart/Yoshi stuff. You’d think at least Zelda and Donkey Kong would get some representation.

I know The Pokémon Company is its own thing separate from Nintendo, but they’d probably be very successful in the amusement park game.

Orlando likely will get Donkey Kong (full mini land including a mine cart boom coaster) at opening, and possibly Zelda later (but not right away). Hollywood probably just gets Mario Kart (Just not enough room for everything)

Atricks fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 14, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Atricks posted:

Oh Japan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSA709zNzY

Universal Orlando gets this in around 3 years, not soon enough, but it comes with a brand new theme park (Epic Universe), so I'm good.

Beyond that there's a rumor that Toon Lagoon at Islands of Adventure will be razed and rebuilt into Middle Earth in a few years.

For what it worth the aerial rendering at around 2:30 is very accurate, including art style, it's crazy how well they nailed the Super Mario 3D World look.

welp time to start saving up for a trip to Japan. Those wristbands look pretty fun and i'm interested to see if they can improve on the in-park game stuff Disney has going for them. if anyone is gonna make a proper theme park game feel engaging, it's Mario.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's amazing how much better universal is over Disney at marketing and hype for their attractions

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

God, like all of the ads for Galaxy's Edge has just been "families" walking around mouth-agape.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If you put something like "San Diego Botanical Gardens" over this image I doubt most people wouldn't know the truth

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, Disney is super bad at hyping new poo poo, basically just cut a ribbon and go

Also, resize your huge rear end picture

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Really, comparing what could've been done with balloons but was classically Disney over engineered to that beautiful music video?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I thought it was a little too poppy for me, but to each his own. Music videos don't sell me much on a property I'm kinda suspect on

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I found that Nintendo video to be overly green screened.

But its Universal so I guess screens makes sense

I wish it had shots of what the land will actually look like, but I guess they can't because its not done yet?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

couldcareless posted:

I thought it was a little too poppy for me, but to each his own. Music videos don't sell me much on a property I'm kinda suspect on

yeah a Charli XCX song that samples the Mario theme is like designed in a lab to appeal to me personally so i really loved it

BlueBayou posted:

I found that Nintendo video to be overly green screened.

But its Universal so I guess screens makes sense

I wish it had shots of what the land will actually look like, but I guess they can't because its not done yet?

but this is also true. I think I got a sense of what the rides were going to be like but there are still a whole lot of questions, mostly surrounding that Mario Kart ride (is it really gonna be competitive? Is it gonna more resemble something like Spider-Man/Transformers, something like Avatar/Forbidden Journey, something like Smuggler's Run/Toy Story Mania or something entirely new and weird?

The Yoshi thing is self-explanatory and if you don't want to ride a Yoshi i don't think you're the target audience for this world. I also think you are without a heart but w/e

edit:

That's as good a look as I've seen at the ride vehicles for the MK ride, honestly the vehicle it most resembles is Men in Black with the two-tiered seating, i wonder if it's gonna be a shooting thing like that, but with the benefits of 20+ years of development, potentially trackless vehicles and screen tech ala the Harry Potter stuff. I hope it's not glasses.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 14, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
mario kart quadruple dash lookin bad :(

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I found an article that has a pretty thorough description of what the ride is supposed to be (note that it could be completely wrong but some parts cite actual patents, plus it nailed the apparent ride vehicles from the video despite being written a month ago, so they're likely on the nose). I spoiled stuff about where you go during the ride/most pre-show stuff in case you wanted to avoid that before going on it, and i've bolded some things I think are interesting about how the ride is going to work.

quote:

Super Nintendo World will be opening mid-2020 at Universal Studios Japan, just about a half year from now, and we still haven’t gotten any new official information about the new land’s flagship attraction since the groundbreaking ceremony a few years back.

The Mario Kart ride will be the only attraction that will be found at every version of Super Nintendo World, including Japan, Hollywood, Orlando, and Singapore. Let’s go over the rumored ride track layout and scene descriptions for this new state-of-the-art attraction. Plus, we’ll discuss some of the rumored technology behind Mario Kart. Check out the the video version of this article below for additional visuals.

Opening by the summer of 2020 in Japan, and already under construction in Hollywood, the Mario Kart ride is being touted as “the most immersive and cutting edge technological attraction” Universal has ever created.

This ride will feature two tracks that run side by side, so it’ll feel like you’re racing the other car. It is said to be a bus bar dark ride, meaning the ride vehicle cars will get their power from the track itself. A bus bar ride system is one of the most popular types of indoor ride systems. Classic Fantasyland-style dark rides like Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride utilize variations of a bus bar system. The version for Mario Kart may be a more robust variation, but it is expected to still utilize a track, so this is not expected to be a trackless ride.

Riders will pass through several different settings during the ride, all based on racetracks from the video game series, including popular or recurring tracks like Rainbow Road. Along the way it is rumored that Nintendo characters in other cars will drive up beside you. The ride will focus heavily on real sets and physical characters to tell the story, only utilizing screen-type elements for backgrounds, effects, or transitional tunnels between scenes.

Mario Kart Show Building and Queue

The exterior facade for the Mario Kart ride will be themed like Bowser’s Castle. The entrance to the ride will be located on the second level of the two-level land. A gift shop will be located to the right of the main entrance, themed like a mechanic’s shop, featuring Mario carrying a tire on the sign in the concept art. This will likely also be the exit for the attraction.

Once you enter the queue, you will be inside a large castle hall with a stairwell that branches in a few directions. There will be the main standby line, an Express line, and (hopefully) a single rider line. All of the queue is located on the second level of the building, leaving the entire lower level for the ride. As we walk through the queue, we’ll pass through different areas of Bowser’s Castle, including a portrait gallery, library, courtyard, and more.

Later in the queue we will encounter a training area with trophy displays. This colorful area will likely be set apart from the darker Bowser Castle zones and will give us a chance to learn the various skills we will need for the ride, including how to put on and use the rumored augmented reality goggles.

As we near the end of the queue, we start to make our way downstairs, into the dungeon of Bowser’s Castle. The load area is split into two sides. The setup here will be similar to coming down the stairs at Men in Black: Alien Attack at Universal Studios Florida. Each of the two sides will have space for 4 karts to be parked and ready to load. And each car will hold 4 passengers, two in the front and two in the back. Once we’re loaded into our kart, it’s time to start the race!

One of the most talked about technologies that may be present on the Mario Kart ride is Augmented Reality, or AR for short. It is rumored that AR goggles will be worn by riders to add additional elements on top of what you’re really seeing. AR could be used to add item blocks onto the track that you could “collect,” and then use against the car beside you. Special items from the games like red shells, banana peels, etc., could be utilized to help stall the other riders and ensure your victory.

In addition to appearing on the ride itself, Augmented Reality technology is expected to show up in other ways around Super Nintendo World. Special AR viewer binoculars will be set up around the land. These will allow visitors to look closer at some of the real places in the land, but with additional characters and elements overlaid onto reality.

Other patented technologies are expected to be used on the Mario Kart ride to create the effect of traveling faster than you really are. To accomplish this, moving backgrounds and LED tunnels may be utilized between some of the scenes. With the backgrounds moving quickly past you, along with some well placed fans, it could feel like you’re going faster.

Another way to make it appear that your car is moving faster than it actually is, is by having moving objects fly overhead, or beside you. With objects coming towards you quickly it will appear as if you’re moving much faster than you are, especially if coupled with moving backgrounds. Several scenes may also feature projection mapping effects to create additional movement or background scenery.

A patent for drifting may be incorporated into the ride as well, for when the vehicle makes tight turns—or maybe when the kart wipes out from being hit by a shell or running over a banana peel. The ride vehicle may also spin in a couple sections of the ride, most notably the whirlpool scene and the transition from the clouds to the volcano.

The page I linked to has a supposed scene-by-scene description as well as a few diagrams of the track shape and some of the patents, it's interesting if you're really excited for the MK ride.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
The land's renderings are pretty accurate based on some of the construction photos in Japan I've seen. (Particularly the aerial at the end). Lots of physical moving props and animatronics both outside in the land and rides, Universal seems to do a full 180 on screen heavy stuff since Fast and Furious. It just looks like a fun place to be.

This twitter link shows the under construction land, with how close the actual style is to the rendering, and some peeks at Yoshi (Which is a ride too, people mover style, but with interaction, around the land in and out). The coins rotate, the blocks are interactive, the clouds move, etc.
https://twitter.com/LCASTUDIOS_USJ/status/1216354706835955712

Press conference video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_hXeF_OLM0

Atricks fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 14, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This came up way back when the Wreck it Ralph VR thing was rumored for the Alien Encounter space, but I’m very skeptical of any rumor that involves an HMD, especially for AR. It’s been a while since I’ve paid a lot of attention to the space, but that technology is still fairly immature. It’s expensive and doesn’t work as well as you “want” it to. There are serious capacity concerns - getting someone to put on the headset, make it comfortable, and dial in their IPD with any sort of accuracy is time consuming, and skipping any of that makes for a real lovely experience.

Those issues are made more complicated by the available age range. Darren Brown’s Ghost Train can use off the shelf equipment and not stress about IPD adjustments as much because, by and large, there aren’t 7 year olds clamoring to ride it. It’s also a seated experience, so if the HMD is a little loose who cares. When you have to worry about that range of riders getting tossed about on Rainbow Road, everything has to line up.

We’re years removed from these experiments but there’s a reason every park stopped doing VR coasters.

Of course, I’m just picking nits of one part of a rumor. There’s too much riding on this for the attractions to be anything but hella impressive.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Atricks posted:

The coins rotate, the blocks are interactive, the clouds move, etc.
https://twitter.com/LCASTUDIOS_USJ/status/1216354706835955712

I’m the POV buttsex in the top left

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Mariokart is the headliner attraction, they’ve got to have a reasonable solution for the AR, right?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dren posted:

Mariokart is the headliner attraction, they’ve got to have a reasonable solution for the AR, right?

My prediction: 3D projection mapping, with the same 3D glasses as everything else.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I might not be looking hard enough but is there anywhere with official hours of the Skyliner? Trying to figure out if I can pull certain things off as I'm staying at CB. For example, take it over in the AM to get in the RotR boarding opening crowd, or take it after Epcot Forever at the end of the night.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hazo posted:

I’m the POV buttsex in the top left

that yoshi has seen some things :stare:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tim Whatley posted:

I might not be looking hard enough but is there anywhere with official hours of the Skyliner? Trying to figure out if I can pull certain things off as I'm staying at CB. For example, take it over in the AM to get in the RotR boarding opening crowd, or take it after Epcot Forever at the end of the night.
From what I understand, the only place hours are published is on the signs at the stops.

That being said, I remember when I was there in November and (very early) December, the Epcot stop said it ran until 10:30. I don’t remember the starting time.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

Hours are posted at the skyliner stations. Last week I asked a skyliner CM at the Caribbean Beach hub when it opened (I also wanted to go to studios for RotR) and he told me 6:45 (studios opened at 7) but that if I needed to be somewhere at a specific time in the morning he recommended taking the bus and being at least an hour early to the stop. It felt like he was talking about getting to studios for RotR and it was odd that he was so oblique about it, maybe Disney is trying to avoid making any promises about RotR.

I ended up taking the bus, it showed up at something like 6:20 AM.

Stop by the skyliner station the day before you go to RotR and ask them, as these things seem to be in flux.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Dren posted:

To my knowledge, everyone is very far off. And this isn’t like making realistic looking blaster bolts - companies have spent a lot of time and money trying to crack this egg. Microsoft Hololens is just to the point where it’s suitable for commercial use cases, but not really immersive entertainment. It’s also about $3,500 at retail. Magic Leap isn’t quite vaporware, but it’s awfully close, and they’ve gobbled up billions of dollars to get to...wherever they are.

I’d reckon that the land will make liberal use of AR (the fact that they’re pushing the app and gamification means that everyone will already have their phones out,) but I’ll be legitimately blown away if Universal Engineering has figured this out.

And that’s all just having the HMD in existence. Any acceptable application would have to overcome fit and IPD issues, which can wreak havoc on capacity and/or exclude people with smaller noggins. Those aren’t things that can be easily engineered around.

Roadie posted:

My prediction: 3D projection mapping, with the same 3D glasses as everything else.

Projection mapping sort of replaces the need for 3D effects - why force everyone to wear glasses when you can just move the projection surface toward the viewer? That being said, there’s definitely room for innovation in projecting onto a more dynamic surface than, say, a castle or a tree.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
AR on phones sounds awful, I hope that’s a very optional component. I feel the same about the datapad and the play parks app. I tried playing the smugglers run line game and the line, even though it was 50 minutes, moved too fast for me to play the game plus I felt like I was ignoring the people I was with. For these things to really work for me they need to be on single purpose devices and I need to be able to naturally interact with the people I’m with while I’m doing them. Basically the UI needs to be google glass (or the void) and everyone in my party needs to be linked into the same experience.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
It's been a week since we finished our short Disney trip, but I wanted to come back here and just say that the last-minute planning we did and the advice from you guys worked out very well, and everything went perfectly.

For Animal Kingdom on Sunday, we arrived a half hour before opening and only waited an hour in line for Flight of Passage. Everything else was taken care of with fast passes.

For Hollywood Studios on Monday, we arrived an hour before opening and only waited about half an hour for Smugglers Run. We both got gunners, but the pilots were a dad and his 3 year old daughter, who had a complete meltdown in the chair, so we both upgraded to pilots when they had to leave. And while waiting in that line we got in boarding group 15 for Rise of the Resistance, which was called during Smugglers Run, so we were done with both rides in the first hour. Apparently a few hours later they had to shut down the first part of Rise of the Resistance and start in the middle, so we really lucked out for both rides.

Reservations for the droid, lightsaber, and cantina all went smoothly and were really cool.

Overall we did everything we wanted to in all four parks, so it doesn't get much better than that. I was somewhat surprised that I enjoyed it much more than our Universal trip for Harry Potter a few years ago. I'm more of a Star Wars fan to begin with, but the rides also seemed to be in a completely different league.

edit: Oh yeah, and dinner at Jiko after Animal Kingdom was delicious, highly recommend that place.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 16, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I might go in april, and the way i've been doing it (theme parks in general) is just doing some light planning and going for it. Not really into rope drops or anything like that.

My question is, besides reserving the lightsaber and bar stuff, if I wanted to go there one random day in april, could I ride ROTR? Or do I HAVE to get a boarding pass at 6 in the morning? Anyone casually walk in and get on?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

My question is, besides reserving the lightsaber and bar stuff, if I wanted to go there one random day in april, could I ride ROTR? Or do I HAVE to get a boarding pass at 6 in the morning? Anyone casually walk in and get on?

The only way onto ROTR for the foreseeable future is the virtual queue system, and getting a spot there means being in the park at rope drop or earlier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that's loving horrible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

its a lot better than 5+ hour queues every moment the park is open

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bottom Liner posted:

Avatar queue was not fun. I got motion sick so I don't know if it still is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bottom Liner posted:

Maybe. Last time I was at Disney was late October, and I dunno, I got on the rides within an hour. Avatar being the longest wait, which I didn't mind because it looked rad the entire way.

Smuggler's Run was 40, and like 4 minutes with single rider.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

First and only time I've been to WDW was 3rd week of April (They planned a marathon on goddamn 420) and the hordes of teenagers on their high school spring break trips made it preeeetty packed.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe. Last time I was at Disney was late October, and I dunno, I got on the rides within an hour. Avatar being the longest wait, which I didn't mind because it looked rad the entire way.

Smuggler's Run was 40, and like 4 minutes with single rider.

Getting up early aside, the virtual queue *is* nice. If the ride breaks down (which is happening a lot) you don’t see a 40 minute surge in wait time, instead you just do other stuff in the park. If you were on the ride at the time you are either given special photo ops with characters + snacks and/or they dump the queue and you get a fastpass to come back later (if you had a guaranteed boarding group as opposed to a backup boarding group).

Heck, Magic Carpets of Aladdin broke while I was on it and that added like 20 minutes to the wait time. It was down for less than ten minutes.

There’s a few things not to like about the virtual queue:
1. It breaks expectations. People expect standby only or a combo of standby and fastpass.
2. Disney does not officially communicate *at all* that you have to be there at rope drop to get a boarding group so it’s possible to waltz in an hour after park open and get real mad.
3. It hits you in the face with the reality that if you didn’t show up rear end early you pretty much weren’t going to get to ride that day. A standby line lets you go stand in it and hope for the best, the virtual queue tells you no and people hate being told no.

One more thing: I think it’s really funny that they give guests snacks and water if they’re in certain parts of the queue when the ride breaks because giving out snacks is one of the things I do to manage my kids when I know they’ll have to wait for something.

edit: The virtual queue is interesting because we don’t actually know how it works. I was telling people it’s like southwest boarding passes, hit the button first and you get the earliest group. I have firsthand experience and secondhand anecdotes that seem to confirm this. One guy told me that’s not how it is, they base it on analytics. For all I know analytics could play a role but it certainly seems like you have to be there pressing the button at the same time as everyone else to claim any advantage the analytics might give you.

I do think the current process screws international guests who might not have a data plan and might be reliant on park wifi. From what I’ve experienced the park wifi gets crushed at boarding group time and is unusably slow. Oh, and my current best guess about how to get a pass is to be on cell data, turn off any vpn you might have, if you entered the park <5 minutes before opening hard reset the app to force location data update, and toggle between the “find out more” and “join a boarding group” screens because just sitting on the “join a boarding group” screen doesnt seem to refresh the fastest.

Dren fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 16, 2020

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that sounds way better than a line lmbo.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Dren posted:

One guy told me that’s not how it is, they base it on analytics.

Oh now I want this rumor to take off so DisTwitter can complain about how they were blacklisted for RotR passes.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Unless we get a Thanos-snap-type event, it’s either this or 6 hour free for all queues like for Hagrids.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Runaway Railway might help to suck up some popularity as well as new epcot stuff pulling away from Hollywood in general. At least, that's the theory. I feel like anytime something new comes out, more people just show up and fill any potential voids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

couldcareless posted:

Runaway Railway might help to suck up some popularity ...

The problem is that they need to change something in addition to opening a new attack toon if they want boarding groups to not be gone after 30 minutes every day.

Assuming RR has a physical queue, the only thing it will do is reduce initial waits at the other Attractions in the park. Rope drops are usually held in check by opportunity cost, but the virtual queue blows that idea up. It doesn’t matter if your first ride is Tower of Terror, Smugglers Run, or Slinky Dog Dash, you always get a boarding group first.

The fixes would be to turn on virtual queues at additional attractions (which is how Volcano Bay handles this issue, right?) or to start up normal standby for Rise and hope there are enough pulls across the park to spread out the pain a little. I’m not even sure making other parks more attractive would help; have rope drops at the other 3 parks gotten much better with Rise’s opening?

Also, what is Hagrids wait situation like these days? Are they really seeing 6 hour waits daily?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 16, 2020