Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Snowy posted:

Got a link to this? The more I see it he more I like it, I'd like to see how it was made.

Look up recycled skate board guitars.
That's what it looks like to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thumposaurus posted:

Look up recycled skate board guitars.
That's what it looks like to me.

Whoa yeah you're right

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I didn't even know about Henry Kaiser until Rigs Of Dad.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I didn't even know about Henry Kaiser until Rigs Of Dad.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol lookit this kook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzR54nKKtJQ

He's demoing an amp made back in 1979(-81?) by Moog for Gibson, though!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

fyodor posted:

Lol lookit this kook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzR54nKKtJQ

He's demoing an amp made back in 1979(-81?) by Moog for Gibson, though!

He is awesome. :colbert:

His videos are the reason I ended up taking a shot on the CR120H and I'm very glad I did!

He's definitely odd though.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Labs are incredible. Here's a pair of Labs and a guitar with Fender's Elite active single-coil pickups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL3XLpFss44

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HandlingByJebus posted:

He is awesome. :colbert:

His videos are the reason I ended up taking a shot on the CR120H and I'm very glad I did!

He's definitely odd though.

Yea I love that dude.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Try as i might, i cant hate this.
Rig it so the jaw and trem bar move together.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Set it so that the volume knob is also a dimmer for the eyes

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

It kinda looks like t-800 is giving the guitar a hug.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think it's funny that when Roger Mayer gave Jimi Hendrix the Octavia fuzz Jimi kept calling it the Octavio like some sort of god damned retard.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So of course now that I have a paycheck on the way I start thinking ooh, maybe I should see if there's any cool poo poo out there I want to buy.

Inevitably, this leads to a round of "what are people getting rid of on craigslist to make rent this month?"

Hoo boy.

The swirljob guitar in this post isn't too bad, here's one photo of it, but the steampunk relic job? Oh poo poo yes it's terrible.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Prince used Boss stuff all through his career, and even if he probably used a DS1 or Turbo for general leads it would also not surprise me at all if he used a Metal Zone on the reg. He was one of those guys who could get tone out of a plank and a bale of wire.

Flip side of this is that between the lack of interviews and his constant gear churning you will probably never get a straight confirmation of exactly what he used.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I think it's non-controversial that his early guitar of choice was the Telecaster. The "sign" guitars appear to be T-types with stylized bodies.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

darkwasthenight posted:

Prince used Boss stuff all through his career, and even if he probably used a DS1 or Turbo for general leads it would also not surprise me at all if he used a Metal Zone on the reg. He was one of those guys who could get tone out of a plank and a bale of wire.

Flip side of this is that between the lack of interviews and his constant gear churning you will probably never get a straight confirmation of exactly what he used.

P sure his entire board was nothing but Boss pedals.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
boss would make a killing if they repackaged the metal zone minus the gain stages as a quasi-parametric eq pedal

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

boss would make a killing if they repackaged the metal zone minus the gain stages as a quasi-parametric eq pedal

Hmmm there's an idea.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

fyodor posted:

P sure his entire board was nothing but Boss pedals.

Definitely for his drum machines :getin:

from

http://tapeop.com/interviews/117/susan-rogers/

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://twitter.com/andrewismusic/status/833851580906627078

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

who the gently caress is Joe Bonamass and why do bluesdads suck his dick?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fyodor posted:

He's a living encyclopedia master of blues guitar, collects and preserves a ton of cool old gear, is a goofy but generally likable dude, plays a lot of boring but often impressive music.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fyodor posted:

he wears sunglasses with his suit like a total badass

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

fyodor posted:

He's a very talented guitarist with an insane work ethic, who got tired of playing clubs to 50 people and realised there's money up in them there hills if you just lower your ideals a bit.

He's subsequently spent the last ten years grabbing the blues boomer demographic by the throat and squeezing 'em till their wallets hurt, and is now the head of a ruthless merchandising machine that'd make KISS blush. He's cranked out 20+ records in 10 years and tours on a schedule that'll make you tired from just looking at it. He collects incredibly expensive vintage gear, has insanely tasteful phrasing, plays with some of the best players around, and he's about as challenging and provocative as a Kenny G record.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A good pal of mine was the dude who bankrolled Joes gigs here in the UK that made his name, he was ready to chuck it all in. It's a very odd but very cool connection I have with him, surreal in fact. The guy I know I've known all my life and he talks about Bonamassa like a buddy, because he is, it's mad :psyduck: I can confirm he's an awesome guy, so that's nice.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I came across him because I'd be reading about some famous circuit from an amp and that fucker's name would pop up every time about how he has one.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

He's a living encyclopedia master of blues guitar, collects and preserves a ton of cool old gear, is a goofy but generally likable dude, plays a lot of boring but often impressive music.

And yea, after looking him up he seems like a pretty nice and cool guy.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Dude has a signature Firebird, which is the best Gibson, thus good, but without minihums, so he's bad.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

fyodor posted:

And yea, after looking him up he seems like a pretty nice and cool guy.

Sure, but sadly he applies a superhuman degree of skill to making some of the most tedious music on Earth

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Bonamassa is a cool dude but he is basically The Bluesdad Dream made flesh

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Schpyder posted:

Bonamassa is a cool dude but he is basically The Bluesdad Dream made flesh

Amen to that. He's up there with Slash now for TONEZ chasers

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Has he done any interesting work on other peoples jams?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

peter gabriel posted:

Amen to that. He's up there with Slash now for TONEZ chasers

Wait really? Do people think Slash is a tone chaser? Because his tone has always kind of sucked balls.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GreatGreen posted:

Wait really? Do people think Slash is a tone chaser? Because his tone has always kind of sucked balls.

Slash has always been one of the guys who nailed the tones tons of others want. I'm not the biggest Slash fan but I don't get how his tone ever sucked. Sweet Child O' Mine cemented that warm yet bright and expressive LP tone that has been a thing sense.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GreatGreen posted:

Not so much that Slash was a tone chaser, but people chase his tone a lot, I've been on Les Paul forums too much probably but on those it's like someone asking where the warez is on here

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's obviously a Tone Hat he uses.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

peter gabriel posted:

Not so much that Slash was a tone chaser, but people chase his tone a lot, I've been on Les Paul forums too much probably but on those it's like someone asking where the warez is on here

Funny, back in the day he was the guitarist all the super-serious guitar players/fans would look down on, at least on technical levels. He was the trigger for "You like SLASH?!?!? His technique is so sloppy and his sound so basic, let me show you my list of 20 better guitarists you've never heard of..."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Huh.To each his own I guess.

I've always thought Slash's tone was harsh and screechy, like his crunch tone is sandy and gritty and seems like it's got this weird wah-parked-half-way kind of thing going on. There's no fullness there. "Warm" is basically the last word I'd use for Slash's tone. I mean his playing is fun to listen to but his sound isn't.

Then again I'm a huge fan of Mesa Boogie Mark series amps and 5150s. Mid-career Metallica and mid-career In Flames albums are basically my guitar tone bibles, so what do I know!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

peter gabriel posted:

idgi it's a late 70s JCM800 pre-clipping diodes, a boost pedal and a Les Paul. What's the mystery?

• Locked thread