Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

The black and gold stuff got a ton of complaints unfortunately. The director's cut of HR removed it and the gameworld lost a lot of its flavour. :(

Why tf would they do this, it was both artistically good because it had meaning in the setting, and aesthetically good because gold and black go great together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

What the gently caress, from whom? Human Revolution's aesthetic was wonderful.

The levels actually have a bunch of cans of gold paint scattered around them to make fun of the complainers, which is a pretty n:iceburn:.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mankind Divided unfortunately ditched the stylized color scheme for the video game standard of "it's just real life but with more bloom" colors and it's sad to see. The graphics look great! But they're kinda boring color-wise.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BattleMaster posted:

That wasn't addressed in the conversation about why augmented people can/can't cover up, but sorry I didn't read all of the lore and expanded universe materials for your game

edit: obviously the answer is "because there would be no story" but the discrimination angle kind of falls flat and is unsympathetic when the targets are people who wanted to get swole without working for it and such

The answer I was angling for is that some people never asked for this.

poo poo, the player character had no choice in the matter! Even ignoring the fact that some people would have been in situations where they could say no, it's clearly stacked against that and vastly in favor of 'getcherself some robo-limbs!' They're cool, more capable, and have no downside*!

*Except for lifetime dependence on a drug tou can't trust to remain affordable, and that a firmware upgrade can basically destroy you and your life.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The tablet game Deus Ex: The Fall was about an augmented soldier who went rogue when he found out that, surprise surprise, a group of private special ops kill bots calling themselves The Tyrants were actually bad guys all along. For all its flaws like 90% of the game was about the difficulty of not dying when you go off the grid and having to use all his underworld connections and considerable special skills just to get anti-rejection drugs, and also how the black market was leading to all sorts of shady off-brand drugs to be developed and how even that was just one more way the Illuminati was experimenting on and controlling people.

Also he only had one robot arm instead Jensen's full-body top of the line prosthetics, even though it had no real impact on gameplay.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Guy Mann posted:

The levels actually have a bunch of cans of gold paint scattered around them to make fun of the complainers, which is a pretty n:iceburn:.

Those gold cans were there from the very beginning, in the original beta of HR. It was a jab at themselves.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

poptart_fairy posted:

The black and gold stuff got a ton of complaints unfortunately. The director's cut of HR removed it and the gameworld lost a lot of its flavour. :(

I played the director's cut and it was yellow as gently caress, I always wondered just how much yellower it must have been originally.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

2house2fly posted:

I played the director's cut and it was yellow as gently caress, I always wondered just how much yellower it must have been originally.

Quite a bit. Most of the game takes place at night so it's hard to tell, but in the TYM tower and Panchaea where it's daytime it's much easier to see. Here's a quick comparison:

It's especially noticeable if you look at the sky.

edit: Another much more easily noticeable comparison (top is original, bottom is DC):

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Aug 26, 2016

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
So for the Directors Cut they gave us the developers true vision of the game, without any outside tampering.

Fatty has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Aug 26, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The game looks much better without the piss filter. Much like removing the color filters in Fallout 3 and NV. Please stop putting them on, game developers who totally read every one of my internet posts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only thing absolutely anyone talks about in mankind divided is augmentation. Every random hobo on the street is happy to give you their own personal philosophy of the ethics of augmentation and how augmented people should be treated. Every poster on the wall and all the graffiti is about augmentation. Every single piece of legislation and political point you hear about is just pro aug/anti aug. All the news is about augmentation. All the ebooks you find are about augmentation.

Holy poo poo. Nothing is believable when there is one theme in the entire game and absolutely everything in the world is devoted to shoving it in your face.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
How is that different from actual society? Gay marriage and trump are two topics that you couldn't and can't get away from at the moment.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Digirat posted:

The only thing absolutely anyone talks about in mankind divided is augmentation. Every random hobo on the street is happy to give you their own personal philosophy of the ethics of augmentation and how augmented people should be treated. Every poster on the wall and all the graffiti is about augmentation. Every single piece of legislation and political point you hear about is just pro aug/anti aug. All the news is about augmentation. All the ebooks you find are about augmentation.

Holy poo poo. Nothing is believable when there is one theme in the entire game and absolutely everything in the world is devoted to shoving it in your face.

I kind of hate when games do that. I mean in like, dragon quest it's kind of understandable why most people would be talking about monsters sure. But at least there were a dozen NPCs who just talked about stupid bullshit. Hell, even in pokemon there are some people who don't talk exclusively about pokemon. Where's the hipster who hates augmentation because it's so popular he's tired of hearing people talk about it?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

FalloutGod posted:

How is that different from actual society? Gay marriage and trump are two topics that you couldn't and can't get away from at the moment.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Digirat posted:

At least it's not children's card games?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Digirat posted:

Eh, that's believable to a certain extent. The game takes place shortly after an event where a lot of civilians were killed or injured because of augmented people, that would be a pretty world-shaping event.

The thing dragging Mankind Divided down for me is all the sunlight. It's a Deus Ex game, you're supposed to be running around at night wearing sunglasses (because your vision is augmented).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Where's the hipster who hates augmentation because it's so popular he's tired of hearing people talk about it?
"Man, I was already done with that whole augmentation thing before it took off like this." *shows peg leg*

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WickedHate posted:

At least it's not children's card games?

Are you complaining that a society structured around ancient egyptian card games is implausible? :colbert:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vanguard Warden posted:

Eh, that's believable to a certain extent. The game takes place shortly after an event where a lot of civilians were killed or injured because of augmented people, that would be a pretty world-shaping event.

The thing dragging Mankind Divided down for me is all the sunlight. It's a Deus Ex game, you're supposed to be running around at night wearing sunglasses (because your vision is augmented).

Still haven't played Mankind Divided, but doesn't it also largely take place in aug slums and such? I feel like people suffering through a problem like that, in a neighborhood they're confined to, would probably be talking a lot about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes but he didn't say "a lot". Exclusively means exclusively. And that's dumb.

edit: The only people on the streets of Prague that don't pester you about augmentation when you chat them up are store owners, and even then the first thing one of them asks you is if he can sell you some illegal under the counter biocells for your augmentations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Hell, even in pokemon there are some people who don't talk exclusively about pokemon.
one person (in Red and Blue at least), to be precise. The "I like shorts" kid. Which is great.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FalloutGod posted:

There's a hell of a lot more than those two and they are way less omnipresent. It's very little like the real world.

You even see way more people with robot arms and legs which doesn't make sense since the game takes place after the incident that made them really unpopular, and the two hubs of human revolution were detroit and hengsha, both the home cities of the two giant aug manufacturers, where you would presumably see the most people with augs. Way more than prague anyway.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Digirat posted:

There's a hell of a lot more than those two and they are way less omnipresent. It's very little like the real world.

You even see way more people with robot arms and legs which doesn't make sense since the game takes place after the incident that made them really unpopular, and the two hubs of human revolution were detroit and hengsha, both the home cities of the two giant aug manufacturers, where you would presumably see the most people with augs. Way more than prague anyway.

They are unpopular now but the people with Augs aren't just going to rip them out as that'd leave them in a worse position than they currently are, and the reason Prague has so many Augmented people is because its basically a big dumping ground for Augs that society doesn't want.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, uh, how are people missing that, it's explained multiple times and obvious as all hell. People aren't getting augged up nowadays, they're getting relocated and dumped into ghettos like Prague. This is a major plot point.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't get how the hacking works and I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but it sort of runs into the "knowing who's a mutant is a nice thing when one could randomly wipe a town off the map with a stray laser blast" problem. It doesn't really work as a metaphor if they are, actually, incredibly dangerous, and the Illuminati keeping people from just getting a wooden leg or whatever is kind of super stupid.

I like the transhumanism angle better.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The worst part is that the mass killing incident basically justifies prejudice against augs. It wasn't a relatively small number of extremist augs that did it. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with augs and putting them all in ghettos. I think it would've been better if they made the augs=criminals comparison and the idea was more that yes augs are dangerous and we need to deal with them to keep society safe but that's no excuse to treat them inhumanely. The main thing with racism is that it's not really grounded in any objective reality, so the anti-aug stuff doesn't fit the comparison well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Digirat posted:

the two hubs of human revolution were detroit and hengsha, both the home cities of the two giant aug manufacturers, where you would presumably see the most people with augs. Way more than prague anyway.

Why?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Higsian posted:

The worst part is that the mass killing incident basically justifies prejudice against augs. It wasn't a relatively small number of extremist augs that did it. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with augs and putting them all in ghettos. I think it would've been better if they made the augs=criminals comparison and the idea was more that yes augs are dangerous and we need to deal with them to keep society safe but that's no excuse to treat them inhumanely. The main thing with racism is that it's not really grounded in any objective reality, so the anti-aug stuff doesn't fit the comparison well.
yeah I mean the problem with the parallel is that, in real life, white supremacists think black people have a magic switch in their heads that turns them into rapist murder machines when the right trigger sets them off, and in Deus Ex, this is explicitly true. I'm not sure it's a very good analogy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am bothered that neither Mankind Divided nor Human Revolution go out of their way to clarify that not all augmentations give you insane dystopia-future superpowers. People in these games never get augmented with just a normal arm with normal human arm capabilities and strength because that'd invalidate their whole message about humanity moving forward artificially.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Did augmented enemies have any sort of in-game advantage over non-augmented ones in DX:HR? With a few exceptions, I don't think they did. The only ones I know for sure were those stealth guys with bird legs. The big, beefy guys with heavy weapons might have been more durable, but I think that's it. Having a helmet made a guy able to survive a headshot, regardless of weather he was augmented or not.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No, they didn't. MD has a lot more variety in that which is great - enemies use their jumpy legs more often, and more than once I got a bit of a nasty shock when it turned out the enemies I was trying to gas all had internal rebreathers jacked into their lungs.

Everyone's still vulnerable to the Ol' Jensen Lovetap though.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

So basically the same thing that made zootopia so awkward? I think I'm going to pass then.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eh, the game isn't worth passing up on just because the main allegory is really cringey I think. At worst it's hopelessly naive rather than, say, Bioshock saying (intentionally or not) both racists and their victims are as bad as one another.

The side missions flesh the world out a lot and though they touch on the augmented stuff, it's not as focused on the Aug/Naturals divide as main story content.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rodbeard posted:

So basically the same thing that made zootopia so awkward? I think I'm going to pass then.

I don't remember many stealth takedowns in Zootopia.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I never asked fur this

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Because its a manufacturing and distribution center (the first mission in HR is sarif's detroit manufacturing plant) which makes augmentations cheaper for the company to sell there, they have automatic advertising and publicity due to detroit being the home of the famous sarif industries, and they have the infrastructure (LIMB clinics) needed to support augmented people there. Same with hengsha/tai yong medical.

Judge Tesla posted:

They are unpopular now but the people with Augs aren't just going to rip them out as that'd leave them in a worse position than they currently are, and the reason Prague has so many Augmented people is because its basically a big dumping ground for Augs that society doesn't want.

I might be complaining without having played enough of the game to understand this but my impression is that golem city is the actual dumping ground for augmented people, while the non-augmented citizens and prague police are doing basically everything they can to push augmented people out.

Either way, no matter the number of augmented people in the city, there should be at least one other loving thing these people think about. Instead they rise from their beds each day and then their eyes glaze over as the word AUGS once again consumes their brains. AUGS...AUGS...AUGS. YOU HAVE AUGS JENSEN MAN. DEBATE THE AUGS. AUGS INCIDENT HAPPENED. AUGS ETHICAL? AUGS.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
One of the loading screens and also alex says Prague basically made itself into a hotspot for augs to come live in order to invigorate it's economy. So many came there to live.

Then the incident happens and whoops we got egg on our face what are we gonna do about all these augs?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Golem City is also still part of Prague, just on the outskirts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

say, Bioshock saying (intentionally or not) both racists and their victims are as bad as one another.

I always thought that was more of a "democratic revolutions also sometimes go completely batshit". France had its Reign of Terror and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I always thought that was more of a "democratic revolutions also sometimes go completely batshit". France had its Reign of Terror and all that.

Which I guess is a fair enough moral in a vacuum but there's a time and a place and neither of those are "right after a pretty black and white take on racist assholes being racist assholes". It's like using John Brown as a counterpoint to the KKK.