Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Hirayuki posted:

I heard about Gillette's latest ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave (love!), but couldn't find it on YouTube for all the reaction videos of people loudly swearing off Gillette for the rest of their lives, etc., etc. :(

Closest I could get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djj1AkGMbJM

Obviously, don't read the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Closest I could get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djj1AkGMbJM

Obviously, don't read the comments.
:tipshat: (I watched it inline. No comments!)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
While we're on that topic, Planet Money did a really interesting story a few years ago about how Subaru became the go-to car for lesbians. It was a very intentional move on their part.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/09/05/644984060/episode-729-when-subaru-came-out

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Man that was offensively unoffensive, what's the big deal?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Man that was offensively unoffensive, what's the big deal?

Right wingers gets mad when people acknowledge that trans people exist. They get even madder if trans people are shown to be happy and enjoying life.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Alhazred posted:

Right wingers gets mad when people acknowledge that trans people exist. They get even madder if trans people are shown to be happy and enjoying life.

I think it's more that they get mad when it's shown that trans people are normal people too.

It's a small distinction, but I think an important one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think it's more that they get mad when it's shown that trans people are normal people too.

It's a small distinction, but I think an important one.

See also: Women, people of color, mixed race families.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Also, for people who bitch endlessly about identity politics, they seem personally offended when a brand they use has an opinion different than their own.

Now they can’t use Gillette. They already couldn’t use Schick because it has the word chick in it. Who will think of the manly men who get offended over marketing campaigns?

I’m not even going to look up what people are saying about Brawny putting women on its paper towel packaging.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m not even going to look up what people are saying about Brawny putting women on its paper towel packaging.

Probably something about how it's a lumberjack not a lumberjill, while being not so down low thirsty for a lumberjill.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
...or even a lumberjack.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Alhazred posted:

there's also the classic "minorities will treat me like I treated them" and fearing they might hit on a (trans)woman.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HerStuddMuffin posted:

...or even a lumberjack.

…or even a lumberjackoff.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Divorced dad here looking for another buff dude for sports talk and a mutual lumber-J.O. sesh. BYOB. No gay poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Divorced dad here looking for another buff dude for sports talk and a mutual lumber-J.O. sesh. BYOB. No gay poo poo.

The second part is from Always Sunny

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

This poo poo.

OOH! A MESSAGE FROM "CURRENT WIRELESS CARRIER" I'D BETTER READ THAT! I mean, it's addressed to me "or current resident" so you KNOW it's important.

Seriously, Spectrum can get hosed. Since I moved to e-billing, literally everything I've gotten from them has been some type of deceitful bullshit marketing. Think the fake "URGENT! OPEN NOW" stamps and that sort of thing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/1139908928383410176

If it's possible to die of cringe, this could be deadly

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

sarcastx posted:

This poo poo.

OOH! A MESSAGE FROM "CURRENT WIRELESS CARRIER" I'D BETTER READ THAT! I mean, it's addressed to me "or current resident" so you KNOW it's important.

Seriously, Spectrum can get hosed. Since I moved to e-billing, literally everything I've gotten from them has been some type of deceitful bullshit marketing. Think the fake "URGENT! OPEN NOW" stamps and that sort of thing.
Chase is also terrible for that. They keep sending me crap in the mail when I have ebilling for everything (they own my mortgage). I get constant letters from them asking me to update my income, since they also have my credit card. After a while they started sending the same thing with Amazon labels instead.

Edit Literally just got one in the mail just now.

IUG has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Jun 17, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't get it, what's boy bye supposed to mean

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It means the DNC still have no clue what they're doing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It means the DNC still have no clue what they're doing.

it's HowDoYouDoFellowKids.gif

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

IUG posted:

. After a while they started sending the same thing with Amazon labels instead.

Wait they send you post and make it look like it's from another company? Is that legal?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Wait they send you post and make it look like it's from another company? Is that legal?

One of the many robocallers that calls me used the Chase credit card line as their caller ID when in reality it was some scammer

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't get it, what's boy bye supposed to mean

I'm guessing it's a slang term that I'm too old to know about, but in this context it seems to mean get Trump out of office. Somehow I have a feeling Gen Z isn't rushing to get that exclusive wallpaper either way.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

No one will download it and the lesson they will “learn” is that the public doesn’t support impeachment proceedings

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

"Boy bye" is literally just like, when you're dismissing an ex or suitor or whatever. "Can you believe what he said to me last night? Boy bye!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s like bye felicia

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

IUG posted:

Chase is also terrible for that. They keep sending me crap in the mail when I have ebilling for everything (they own my mortgage). I get constant letters from them asking me to update my income, since they also have my credit card. After a while they started sending the same thing with Amazon labels instead.

Edit Literally just got one in the mail just now.

The real villain here is the post office. "Pay us a little bit of money and we'll put garbage in peoples' mail boxes, and they'll have to throw it out."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sorry, it's the Amazon credit card, which is run by Chase. So they were asking for a while under the Chase letterhead, and then started sending the same letter with the Amazon letterhead.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sir Lemming posted:

Looking at that, you have to say “The Democrats” exactly like you would “The Aristocrats”.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

"Boy bye" is literally just like, when you're dismissing an ex or suitor or whatever. "Can you believe what he said to me last night? Boy bye!"

They probably just killed that meme.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They probably just killed that meme.

Anyone have a good contact in the DNC marketing arm? I can think of some memes I'd like to...take care of.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looking at that, you have to say “The Democrats” exactly like you would “The Aristocrats”.

so in a Gilbert Gottfried voice

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/1140650522007003137?s=19

They really are addressing those concerns, the replies are not friendly.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

sarcastx posted:

This poo poo.

I moved recently and both the calls to transfer service and to transfer billing (which you have to do once you're at the new place???) were half spent telling them that NO, I DON'T WANT THEM HANDLING MY CELL PHONE. They are aggressive about it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Cerepol posted:

the replies are not friendly.

this one keeps making me laugh

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Phanatic posted:

The real villain here is the post office. "Pay us a little bit of money and we'll put garbage in peoples' mail boxes, and they'll have to throw it out."

Dangerous line of thinking, to allow the post-office to discriminate by content

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

1redflag posted:

No one will download it and the lesson they will “learn” is that the public doesn’t support impeachment proceedings

Pokemon go to the polls.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TheMaskedUgly posted:

It's not discriminating by content. All third-class mail is garbage. You look at it and throw it out. The post office makes billions of dollars on companies paying them to give you garbage to throw out and therefore has no interest in minimizing it.

(Also the post office discriminates by content all the time. )

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Jun 18, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Except that (unless your local postal service operates entirely differently.) bulk, addressed advertisements are a separate, dedicated price/product group.
They're cheaper than normal mail because they'll generally be delivered in massive bulk, with thousands of letters in the exact same format. But more expensive than the bulk un-addressed advertisements because they have to go through the work of sorting them.

They don't know the exact content, but they do know that it's just a giant heap of mail that is likely going straight into the garbage, and the only reason the category exists at all is to let companies pay extra to still drop into people's mailboxes, even if they're warded against normal adverts.

Phanatic posted:

It's not discriminating by content. All third-class mail is garbage. You look at it and throw it out. The post office makes billions of dollars on companies paying them to give you garbage to throw out and therefore has no interest in minimizing it.

(Also the post office discriminates by content all the time. )

It's very strange that in modern times with GDPR a website can now get fined for just keeping your info without your consent.
But payday-loan and other agressive loansharks are perfectly allowed to somehow dig up info on you without your permission and start sending loan offers and deals to people without their consent.
Which is just incredibly manipulative and can get people with poor economics (or poor economic sense.) into pretty heavy debt, and they just keep on shoving those adverts out with no way to block them.

If they did it online, you'd be able to easily block them, or get them to dump your info. But in real life it's somehow perfectly aboveboard just because they're paying a couple cents per letter.

(I've never even searched about loans online, but bam, the moment I moved into my apartment I suddenly started getting 'amazing offers' on loans from shady lovely online banks.
I'm assuming it's either the power company, internet company, or the landlord company that just loving sold my info on, gently caress 'em all.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

a privacy app place told me every time the federal government shuts down, all the names get purged from the do not call list (and equivalent opt outs). of course they may be fibbing to sell their service but... do check.