Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

*fires up task rabbit*

*expresses need for some short rear end in a top hat to do house math for me and beat the poo poo out of anyone who looks like at me funny*

*tori cmos packs his bags kisses Kate goodbye and rubs his basement foundational log for luck*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you're renting it out you create a shell corp and borrow the money to invest your share. now it's an investment loan, for which interest is again deductible. it should have a lovely rate because it's basically unsecured as structured, but because you're rich your private banker types in his override and you're on your way with a bottle of wine and a gift certificate to have your backup Maserati cleaned with Q-Tips and Kristal.

the market crashes but you've already extracted enough rent from it to break even, and then you take a capital loss when you sell it at a sweetheart price to the chair of the board of governors of the college you want your kid to go to. the loss is handy for offsetting the killing you make selling tents and bottled (if not clean) water to the dispossessed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(I'm the sucker paying rent)

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i yearn for death in my 40%+ yoy housing cost city

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

FCKGW posted:

hey jonny290 I'm legit looking at Colorado Springs and Longmont, CO just looks so nice

if you live in Longmont you can go to left hand brewery all the time because it owns

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Bobby Digital posted:

if you live in Longmont you can go to left hand brewery all the time because it owns

ya i got the milk stout nitro there at the brewery in longmont when they came out with the nitro carbonation thing and it was mega ownage off the tap

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bobby Digital posted:

Left hand makes gr8 beers

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

so do we expect anything to reasonably be done about airbnb or is it just the start of the inevitable feudalism where we're all short-term renting our homes

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/unauthorized_web_scrape_purpor.html#incart_most-read_politics_article

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
milk stout nitro is wonderful. they did an imperial stout a few years ago called wake up dead that was really good.

i used to live in fort collins and denver so a lot of co breweries are my favorites: left hand, avery, o'dell, great divide, etc

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

move to loveland instead

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sniep posted:

ya i got the milk stout nitro there at the brewery in longmont when they came out with the nitro carbonation thing and it was mega ownage off the tap

i dont drink

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

if you're renting it out you create a shell corp and borrow the money to invest your share. now it's an investment loan, for which interest is again deductible. it should have a lovely rate because it's basically unsecured as structured, but because you're rich your private banker types in his override and you're on your way with a bottle of wine and a gift certificate to have your backup Maserati cleaned with Q-Tips and Kristal.

the market crashes but you've already extracted enough rent from it to break even, and then you take a capital loss when you sell it at a sweetheart price to the chair of the board of governors of the college you want your kid to go to. the loss is handy for offsetting the killing you make selling tents and bottled (if not clean) water to the dispossessed.

or just set up a respectable reit yeah that all checks out

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

FCKGW posted:

i dont drink

CO may not be a "culture fit" for you then. Or anyone for that matter.

Those looking for cheap houses should move to uhhh... *throws dart at a map* Ohio?

Seriously though, Longmont is cool, and is just close enough to Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins that you can pretend you'll do stuff in those towns and is just far enough away that you never actually will.

Although, if you want all the fun of LA's roadways, homeless population, and lovely holier than thou attitudes but without the pretty people and good weather, Colorado Springs might be a good choice as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

duTrieux. posted:

or just set up a respectable reit yeah that all checks out

sorry, got away from me a bit

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Greatbacon posted:

Those looking for cheap houses should move to uhhh... *throws dart at a map* Ohio?

Seriously though, Longmont is cool, and is just close enough to Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins that you can pretend you'll do stuff in those towns and is just far enough away that you never actually will.

Although, if you want all the fun of LA's roadways, homeless population, and lovely holier than thou attitudes but without the pretty people and good weather, Colorado Springs might be a good choice as well.

*links the entirety of https://www.moderndrunkard.com

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

longmont to foco is an easy drive and foco is great

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beast of Bourbon posted:

eh, it'd probably be 'corporate housing' for a CEO or whatever, and it's unlikely the company would buy it full cash, that's a big investment for something they could be paying a mortgage on and investing the rest.

in 2015 corporations buy everything with cash

mortgage interest rates are between 3% and 4%
junk bonds are hovering around 2% interest
non-junk bonds are around 1%

at this point most large corporations are financial entities as much as they are operating businesses. their borrowing costs are so much lower than the general public that it barely matters what else they do

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also returns to capital are 0 or less

the financialization of the economy is trivially explained: rent-seeking is the only way to make money, and borrowing costs for large corporations are hundreds of basis points under what everyone else pays

"be your own bank" is basically what drives the jobless "recovery"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FCKGW posted:

i dont drink

never trust people who don't drink b/c they don't trust themselves

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

never trust people

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

in one of the pictures it says "1983 square feet + attached garage"

:wtc: I've got 1142 sq ft in a 2 bed and I feel like the bedrooms could be bigger and I'm going to have to compromise on the dining table

e: oh, plus the garage. those 3rd and 4th bedrooms still have to be rabbit hutches though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is code for "alcoholic"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mido posted:

*fires up task rabbit*

*expresses need for some short rear end in a top hat to do house math for me and beat the poo poo out of anyone who looks like at me funny*

*tori cmos packs his bags kisses Kate goodbye and rubs his basement foundational log for luck*

This sounds attractive tbh

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hobbesmaster posted:

no it ishn't

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

like "my favorite book is the fountainhead", it's a sentiment that's kinda a red flag if uttered after age 20.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ultramiraculous posted:

like "my favorite book is the fountainhead", it's a sentiment that's kinda a red flag if uttered after age 20.

much like "oh no, i won't drink vodka/tequila/jager anymore" but worse

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

it's called in vino veritas

a lot of cultures do this

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

things like growing up around alcoholic step dads kinda suck all the fun out of drinking culture

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Greatbacon posted:

I'm married with 2 kids so lol if you think I "do stuff"

I just wanna live someplace nice where I can look at a tree or a mountain or something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FCKGW posted:

drinking culture

*dons traditional drinking ceremonial outfit*

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

FCKGW posted:

drinking culture

lol

e; i should finish reading before posting

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*dons traditional drinking ceremonial outfit*

seersucker this time of year?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PCjr sidecar posted:

seersucker this time of year?

exactly the time of year for spilling pimms cups and negronis on it yea

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

FCKGW posted:

things like growing up around alcoholic step dads kinda suck all the fun out of drinking culture

not nearly as much as people who grew up around (and enjoy talking about) alcoholic step dads :eng101:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i got a degree in drinking culture, abuse culture, and urban culture. from the school of hard knocks.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm racially irish so it's really more of a drinking heritage

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

FCKGW posted:

I'm married with 2 kids so lol if you think I "do stuff"

I just wanna live someplace nice where I can look at a tree or a mountain or something

Longmont has many trees and mountains. At least two!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

Left hand makes gr8 beers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

much like "oh no, i won't drink vodka/tequila/jager anymore" but worse

jager is disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek