Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just had a pretty funny game with the St. Louis. At one point I had three DDs chasing after me, and I just kept pouring HE on them. They had the most predictable torp drop patterns I've ever seen and I just kept turning. The icing on the cake was the last DD alive, while I was behind a small island, dropping the torps so that they would hit me if I continued going past the island...so I just stopped my engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Has anyone here (on NA) run into Ockmod?

He's like the WARBEASTY of battleships. Months ago he was on my team in a Yamato, and decided he would be most useful hanging back by the carrier to "provide AA cover". Enemy carrier instead was more than happy to pick off our DDs and never sent a plane anywhere near our CV. And unfortunately for us the enemy Yamato rampaged through us with no one to challenge him.

Last night I see him again in his Yamato and thankfully he's on the other team and we win easily. The best part is he talks a bunch of poo poo in chat too. 41.1% win rate in Yamato over 350+ battles.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Genaro posted:

the Karlsruhe is a cruel joke.

Karlsruhe is my 4th best ship for WTR ranking at 1806. Somehow the Myogi is my best WTR ship at 2068.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Checking in, is this game good yet

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Not quite as terrible Ven.. could be much worse.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
There's nothing quite as soul crushing as steaming ahead at full speed with your group to face the enemy battlegroup only to notice 30 seconds later that every single one of your allies turned tail and ran the second they came into range, leaving you alone to deal with the focused fire of the entire enemy group

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Karanas posted:

There's nothing quite as soul crushing as steaming ahead at full speed with your group to face the enemy battlegroup only to notice 30 seconds later that every single one of your allies turned tail and ran the second they came into range, leaving you alone to deal with the focused fire of the entire enemy group

Have you played world of tanks? don't expect anyone to do that, I used to charge expecting a bunch of people would grow balls and come along, but it happens almost always that they just sail back even when there is no one to take an opportunity to flank the enemy team from behind. Always keep an eye out on the minimap and adjust.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Xae posted:

The Fury Taco was displaced out of the T5 Cruiser Seal Clubber by the Kirov and Kueningsberg.

A good Königsperg can win against the Taco 1v1 at range, but the Taco remains the #1 general purpose seal clubber. Also lol Kirov lol detection range lol can't turn lol blown up lol

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Karanas posted:

pubbies.wowsreplay

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Fizzil posted:

Have you played world of tanks? don't expect anyone to do that, I used to charge expecting a bunch of people would grow balls and come along, but it happens almost always that they just sail back even when there is no one to take an opportunity to flank the enemy team from behind. Always keep an eye out on the minimap and adjust.

The best part is when you are in a maus. So you charge forth angled bouncing all the shells only to realize after a bit of time that your entire team had run to the other side which is why the enemy was getting more and more ballsier at advancing on you.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

blowfish posted:

Also lol Kirov lol detection range lol can't turn lol blown up lol

lol citadeled head on by ships of like tier lol :suicide:

This shitbucket feels worse than the pre-patch Pensacola and Furutaka put together.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
Finally got the Mogami :downs:. Most of my games usually have me getting hit by a battleship 18+ km away, even 1 shell seems to be a guaranteed citadel hit, so before I'm ever in range of anything I'm usually at about 20% hp. The guns are fun for an HE spam in the same way as the St. Louis, except that they probably do about the same amount of damage, and Tier 8+ ships have a bit more HP so it doesn't really do anything. I have no idea how to play this thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

scavok fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 8, 2016

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Karanas posted:

I have the opposite problem. The moment anyone comes into range, all the pubbies will immediately turn and steam directly for it, even if they're across the map from it. When the enemy doesn't do the same, they suddenly appear and get free flanking shots at my team, who always respond with a cry of 'OMG why isn't anyone on that flank?' when they were on that flank to begin with.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

lol citadeled head on by ships of like tier lol :suicide:

This shitbucket feels worse than the pre-patch Pensacola and Furutaka put together.

Kirov has the exact same minimum and maximum armor as the Konigsberg, but I'm fairly sure it's better distributed (Personal experience where I've had a Konigsberg Detonate via 140 mm secondary when it was bow on). There is no way you should be getting citadeled from the front by other T5 cruisers in anything other than extremely fluke circumstances; and even then only the Furutaka.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

scavok posted:

Finally got the Mogami :downs:. Most of my games usually have me getting hit by a battleship 18+ km away, even 1 shell seems to be a guaranteed citadel hit, so before I'm ever in range of anything I'm usually at about 20% hp. The guns are fun for an HE spam in the same way as the St. Louis, except that they probably do about the same amount of damage, and Tier 8+ ships have a bit more HP so it doesn't really do anything. I have no idea how to play this thing.

There are some Mogami posts on previous page or one before that. The gist of the matter is that Mogami is tier7 ship at tier8. Comparatively worst ship in IJN cruiser line.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Lord Koth posted:

Kirov has the exact same minimum and maximum armor as the Konigsberg, but I'm fairly sure it's better distributed

And yet the Koenigsberg was one of my best performing ships and the Kirov is not.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

And yet the Koenigsberg was one of my best performing ships and the Kirov is not.

because the sperg turns good enough to evade battleship ap

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I got drunk tonight and then owned in a Kuma.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I got a Texas for some reason, and I'm enjoying it. Not a whole lot of kills, but I've gotten Dreadnought and Fireproof twice in four battles.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

dublish posted:

I got a Texas for some reason, and I'm enjoying it. Not a whole lot of kills, but I've gotten Dreadnought and Fireproof twice in four battles.

I thought about buying one, but then I remembered I have a Warspite and you should stop playing US BBs at T8. I'm far more enthusiastic about the Molotov.

Someone's a bright spark at WG, putting out really attractive T5/T6 premium ships to entice people to 'upgrade' from their probably $1 Murmansks.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

TSBX posted:

I got drunk tonight and then owned in a Kuma.

According to the WoWS website my highest xp game in a Fletcher was about 4700. Unfortunately, I have no screenshots or even memory of that game because I'm pretty sure I was drunk when it happened.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Kirov has the exact same minimum and maximum armor as the Konigsberg, but I'm fairly sure it's better distributed (Personal experience where I've had a Konigsberg Detonate via 140 mm secondary when it was bow on). There is no way you should be getting citadeled from the front by other T5 cruisers in anything other than extremely fluke circumstances; and even then only the Furutaka.

The T5 German and Russian cruisers both have insane penetration values. In the same neighborhood as the Furutaka.

When I switch back to the Furutaka it is noticeably harder to get Citadel hits. But it is hard to say if it is simply due to the lower volume of fire.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The problem is that you can't just keep pointing your nose at the enemy, at some point you have to turn, and that's when big slow tubs like the Kirov get citadeled all to gently caress and back by everything, it just takes too drat long to get the nose around, even at 30s intervals for battleship fire.

That's why the Furutaka is better at tier than the Aoba now, the better gun layout on the tier 6 doesn't make up for the loss in agility (or increase in opponent strength)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

The problem is that you can't just keep pointing your nose at the enemy, at some point you have to turn, and that's when big slow tubs like the Kirov and Aoba get citadeled all to gently caress and back by everything, it just takes too drat long to get the nose around, even at 30s intervals for battleship fire.

That's why the Furutaka is better at tier than the Aoba now, the better gun layout on the tier 6 doesn't make up for the loss in agility (or increase in opponent strength)

A battleship is just going to Citadel a cruiser through the bow anyway.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Xae posted:

A battleship is just going to Citadel a cruiser through the bow anyway.

It's a lot harder to actually hit a nose on cruiser with battleship guns, and whippy cruisers like the Furutaka and Omaha make it harder still.

Omaha (34/600/5.7), Furutaka (34.5/750/5.7) and Konigsberg (32.5/680/6.9) are all whippy enough to make hitting them nose on hard, and they're all fast enough to complete a 180 turn while a battleship is reloading, or to receive 1 salvo at most from a cruiser. Kirov (35.5/860/7.8) is ponderous.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 8, 2016

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I struggled with the Kirov initially but ended up with a 65% by the time I was done with it. You have to really use it like a higher tier cruiser and fire at long distances. For newer players it's a different play style, but players with more high tier experience get it after a little while.

But who cares because then you get the Budyonny and wreck everyone. I have trouble not getting 100k dmg games in it. If this continues I may have to get the Molotov when it comes out.

Also anyone get good games in for the in game tier IV BB base xp contest? I've played nearly 20 ark beta games only losing one. My very first game had a base xp of 1673 and I haven't been able to break 1500 since.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Victor Surge posted:

I struggled with the Kirov initially but ended up with a 65% by the time I was done with it. You have to really use it like a higher tier cruiser and fire at long distances.

The best way I can describe my current Kirov experience is "Stock Pensacola with smaller guns and broken steering"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Victor Surge posted:

I struggled with the Kirov initially but ended up with a 65% by the time I was done with it. You have to really use it like a higher tier cruiser and fire at long distances. For newer players it's a different play style, but players with more high tier experience get it after a little while.

The high tier cruisers have something Kirov doesn't: concealment. Also, armor on the back of the ship. IIRC the Kirov has really bad armor on its rear for some reason.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

So, Texas.

The rumors are true. It flies near this thing, it dies.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought about buying one, but then I remembered I have a Warspite and you should stop playing US BBs at T8. I'm far more enthusiastic about the Molotov.

Someone's a bright spark at WG, putting out really attractive T5/T6 premium ships to entice people to 'upgrade' from their probably $1 Murmansks.

Yeah the only premium I have ever bought was a $3 code for a Murmansk.

The 100th anniversary of Jutland is just a few weeks away so that would be a perfect time to sell the Warspite again - and my cheap rear end would probably buy one. Which means we'll probably just have the Aurora in the store.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

wdarkk posted:

The high tier cruisers have something Kirov doesn't: concealment. Also, armor on the back of the ship. IIRC the Kirov has really bad armor on its rear for some reason.

My Kirov did a Bismarck twice in one battle a couple hours ago, while my repair was on cooldown for the first of three rudder breaks. Like its predecessor, it is a festering heap of poo poo.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 8, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Victor Surge posted:

But who cares because then you get the Budyonny and wreck everyone. I have trouble not getting 100k dmg games in it. If this continues I may have to get the Molotov when it comes out.

The Molotov looks insane but it might be more like a Kirov than a Budyonny. Hopefully with better armour but apparently it basically gets the guns from the T9 Donskoi. If thats the case I may well get it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I've only played a couple of games in the Kirov and it doesn't seem like it will improve any time soon. It's going to be depressing isn't it?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Kirov was made smaller so it might not be that terrible now.
I think the German T6 also got lowered in the water by about 80km yet is still not very good.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It still felt terrible when I got it a few days ago.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Krogort posted:

Kirov was made smaller so it might not be that terrible now.
I think the German T6 also got lowered in the water by about 80km yet is still not very good.

The German tier 6 is baller though

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

If the Kirov's guns had the full muzzle velocity that the same model on the Donskoi has, I think that would make up for some of its major shortcomings. I totally agree that the Konigsperg and the Furutaka are just plain better. I just had a game where a DD swarm tried to overwhelm me in a Budyonny, skated out with a Kraken and I know I would have been absolutely skewered in the Kirov.

I absolutely thought I was going to hate the Nurnberg, didnt look like you got much over the Konigs to justify going up a tier. But man its so good at kiting ships and lighting them on fire. With the fast reload its a lot easier to switch to AP and blap people when they get close.

Just bought the Hipper. Does the second hull improve the firing arcs at all? Seems like the two interior turrets are obstructed a lot when the other three can shoot.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I really like the German Tier 6 as well and did well in it. I'm still learning the Budyonny. Thanks to pacra, I know how to yorck. I hated the Kirov because it was so sluggish and died every time Stalin farts.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Who said the svietlana is a bad ship?

Edit: that was a joke btw

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009
I'm going to be doing the missions to get the permanent event flag here in a couple days. What would be the best low tier DD to get the ten torpedo hits with?