Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Jose posted:

that was a drat good ending. also makes you wonder why she hasn't aimed for sea battles with the other emperors because it seems pretty hard to beat a tidal wave without very specific devil fruits

Even with the ensouled wave, she's still probably doing a team up technique with Pero, and I'm guessing the other emperors would have the means to get rid of him, at which point two devil fruit users just feel into the sea :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Yonkou certainly live up to their name. Strawhats have been in absolute peril since the castle fell down, and they weren't doing well before that either. I'm guessing our Germa66 buddies will reappear soon to save the crew.

Imbuing the motherfucking ocean with D.F. powers :psyduck:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah, if the Battle of Marineford happened several years ago when Whitebeard was in his prime and Blackbeard wasn't a factor, the marines would have been in deep poo poo. I doubt all that firepower would have mattered.

The thing that really sells it for me is that Whitebeard got part of his head loving melted by Akainu and kept going like it was no big deal. That's insane, even by One Piece standards. Whitebeard in his prime must've been like a literal God or something.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In a world of insane superhumans you don't get called "The strongest man in the world" for nothin

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That said remember that the Marines still had Garp and Sengoku chilling in the background and grumbling that today's idiot brats can't get anything done.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
A tsunami of hatred....

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

LupusAter posted:

The fact that she's (probably) the weakest Emperor is mostly because someone has to be. WB and Kaido are explicitly called the strongest man/creature alive, and since the Yonkou are at a stalemate and Shanks has (from what we know) a smaller crew he must be able to make up the difference in some way. It doesn't mean she doesn't tower above most of the New World.
And seconding the wish for Emperor slugfest flashbacks.

I don't think having a smaller crew is much of a hindrance for Shanks. The vast majority of people in the other Emperor's crews are too weak to really matter in a fight. Shanks doesn't value having a lot of crew members as an end in itself the way Whitebeard does, and he doesn't need them to run a country the way Big Mom does.

I think Shanks is the weakest Emperor individually, but he has a very strong (and very smart, in Beckmann's case) crew.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should note that Shanks does have some lower tier dudes on his crew. Like that Rockstar guy.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This chapter was amazing, holy poo poo. I've really missed how tense the manga gets when it becomes apparent just how outclassed the Strawhats are

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Do we really know enough about shanks to assume he doesn't have a bigger crew? We've only seen his direct guys, but he could have some extended peeps that don't get panels

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ubiquitus posted:

Do we really know enough about shanks to assume he doesn't have a bigger crew? We've only seen his direct guys, but he could have some extended peeps that don't get panels

We know he has some extended ones we met Rockstar.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Don't worry everyone Jinbei has got this.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I feel like Luffy having a small crew is directly inspired by Shanks not having an enormous one, which was probably directly inspired by Gold Roger not having a big one, either. Kind of just assumptions here but I bet that's a generational line that goes straight down directly to Luffy.

My guess for why Gold Roger didn't have a big one is because he's only known for one ship, the Oro Jackson.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Prediction: When we see Shanks next we'll see that he's taken Ace's arm for himself, and then when Shanks and Luffy finally meet Shanks will be possessed by Ace's spirit, who will then make off with some superweapons he'll use to take out the World Government

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I like that we have this whole conversation about DF powers working in water and then here comes a tidal wave homie the next week

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I like that we have this whole conversation about DF powers working in water and then here comes a tidal wave homie the next week

I know haha. This chapter confirms the devil's "curse" is just really itchy hives when you touch the water.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

that's zeus isnt it?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Remember the sea around Big Mom's territory a load of juice and sweet liquid and she's still on Perospero's candy boat, so I think it works just fine.

I dunno if Zeus and Prometheus have caught up with Big Mom yet.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Matoi Ryuko posted:

that's zeus isnt it?

Zeus and Prometheus got left behind on Totland. Big Mom forgot to bring them with her in her blind frenzy.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gnome7 posted:

Zeus and Prometheus got left behind on Totland. Big Mom forgot to bring them with her in her blind frenzy.

I see now, she's still got mr. hat with her, whatever his name is

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
How could you possibly ever forget Napoleon?

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
My theory with Shanks has always been that he isn't a Yonkou for his strength (while he is super strong, he isn't like, a country-leveling monster) but rather for his knowledge. He probably knows how to get to Raftel, knows One Piece's whereabouts/contents, and knows the contents of the void century. The Admirals treading carefully around him and his crew makes sense if the higher ups give the order "Hey, Shanks could destabilize the world government in a single press release, so maybe don't piss him off."

Also if that is the case he is single-handedly capable of becoming the new Pirate King, or making anyone else the new Pirate King if he wants. That is a ton of political power.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LanceKing2200 posted:

My theory with Shanks has always been that he isn't a Yonkou for his strength (while he is super strong, he isn't like, a country-leveling monster) but rather for his knowledge. He probably knows how to get to Raftel, knows One Piece's whereabouts/contents, and knows the contents of the void century. The Admirals treading carefully around him and his crew makes sense if the higher ups give the order "Hey, Shanks could destabilize the world government in a single press release, so maybe don't piss him off."

Also if that is the case he is single-handedly capable of becoming the new Pirate King, or making anyone else the new Pirate King if he wants. That is a ton of political power.

he stopped the marineford war and clashed with whitebeard. dude has to be crazy strong.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What if shanks isnt even on the level of these monsters but just bluffed his way to being an Emperor, similar to how his brother Buggy is a warlord now. Hes still strong but not nearly as strong as these crazy devil fruit guys, but he's charismatic and intimidating enough for people to respect him

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Shanks is probably super strong. When shanks re-enters the story it will probably signal the beggining of the final arc

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
P sure Shanks and co are pretty strong considering their perceived power and small crew size

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Shanks is probably super strong. When shanks re-enters the story it will probably signal the beggining of the final arc

i think blackbeard will beat shanks but shanks will live. luffy defeats shanks as promised, but it's more of a test to see if he's ready to fight blackbeard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Grouchio posted:

It feels like i've severely outgrown One Piece after 9 years of being a fan - now I cannot even call myself one anymore.

gently caress off then

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Grouchio posted:

It feels like i've severely outgrown One Piece after 9 years of being a fan - now I cannot even call myself one anymore.

Please don't bother posting if you're only planning on viewing stuff to tear it down. It's against the rules.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

anime was right posted:

i think blackbeard will beat shanks but shanks will live. luffy defeats shanks as promised, but it's more of a test to see if he's ready to fight blackbeard.

Yeah unlike a lot of the other Emperors, Shanks isn't exactly a bad guy per se (he's one of Luffy's biggest supporters after all and the reason he started his journey in the first place).

If he and Luffy end up fighting at all it will probably be more like a friendly duel/test of strength if anything. Also, like has been said, Shanks is probably one of the key pieces to Luffy finally realizing his dream. I'm very curious to see how that particular confrontation ends up going down.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 29, 2017

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sanji and Pudding were made for each other, huh?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Shanks stopped a magma punch from Akainu and Beckmann scared Kizaru with a pistol. I'd say Shank's core crew are as strong as what endgame Strawhats will be.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Pretty sure Shanks could beat any of the other emperors in a straightforward one-on-one fight. The balance of power exists because Kaido and Big Mom have huge armies and Blackbeard fights dirty.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Kaido's explicitly has a saying surrounding him of "If it's one-on-one, bet on Kaido" and has the title of The Strongest Creature in the World. I'm pretty sure the idea is while Kaido has a huge army, he himself is far-and-away the scariest part of it. He's not done making his army of artificial Zoans, either, so his squad is probably not as dangerous overall as Big Mom's (based on Jack the Drought having a lower bounty than two of the Sweet Commanders.)

I bet after the army thing is done or if it was ever finished or w/e he would be the scariest on all fronts though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Kaido's explicitly has a saying surrounding him of "If it's one-on-one, bet on Kaido" and has the title of The Strongest Creature in the World. I'm pretty sure the idea is while Kaido has a huge army, he himself is far-and-away the scariest part of it. He's not done making his army of artificial Zoans, either, so his squad is probably not as dangerous overall as Big Mom's (based on Jack the Drought having a lower bounty than two of the Sweet Commanders.)

I bet after the army thing is done or if it was ever finished or w/e he would be the scariest on all fronts though.

Jack is almost certainly the weakest Calamity, though. I expect Queen and King to have higher bounties.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I figured Kaido is "the strongest creature" because Whitebeard is actually stronger so he can't be "the strongest man". I'd also assume it's based purely on raw, physical strength and that Shanks is also more powerful when counting haki and other ways of fighting, but Kaido is still physically stronger.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Whitebeard isn't the strongest man anymore.

He's dead.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

World's Deadest Man :bignews:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Sub Harrison posted:

Beckmann scared Kizaru with a pistol.

I didn't notice this until a color read, he was sitting down too

That crew is scary and I don't know why, I'm pumped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

tsob posted:

I figured Kaido is "the strongest creature" because Whitebeard is actually stronger so he can't be "the strongest man". I'd also assume it's based purely on raw, physical strength and that Shanks is also more powerful when counting haki and other ways of fighting, but Kaido is still physically stronger.

I'd assume the exact opposite, where Kaido is considered so insanely, unbelievably strong that they don't even consider him human anymore. Either that or Kaido is in fact not actually human, which given he's got horns might be the case (though it's One Piece, character design barely means anything with regards to human status or not.)

He's got that Oni theme going on so hard he might just be one.