Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qs2w_VlPlc

The driver and his dog both survived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

This whole 'planking' craze is getting a bit out of hand.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Buddy, they don't even let me gently caress the lumber.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mobby_6kl posted:

What do you mean it's not awesome :mad:

Same. I was hoping Hardcore Henry would fill that void, but as nonsensical as it was, it didn't really come close in part die to its FPV gimmick.

They are both video game movies at heart. HH's mechanic wasn't as compelling as Crank's immediate continuous goal to juice up and earn extra credits in an arcade game. HH FPV held it back and certainly restricted the audience but I respect that movie alot more than Crank for doing what is experimental hard mode film making. As per usual Sharlto Copley owns and seriously should be given more work.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Only thing wrong with this is that I'm pretty sure the flag is supposed to be red.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

scrubs season six posted:

Only thing wrong with this is that I'm pretty sure the flag is supposed to be red.

Did you miss the guy hanging onto the lumber for dear life inside the car?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Booley posted:

Did you miss the guy hanging onto the lumber for dear life inside the car?

No, I saw it, I just think it's fine.

I also have two related dumb stories.

1. When I was a very wee lad before they had little plastic red flags at Home Depot (or Home Depot at all) that you could just staple on your poo poo, I had to remove my coincidentally red underwear to be used as a flag. I don't think I actually remember this and only know about it due to my sisters telling me many years later.

2. If the lumber humper had an FJ Cruiser instead of that RAV or CRV or whatever it is, he wouldn't have had to do that, because the little 14" tall window on the back of an FJ opens. I hauled a lot of 12-14' long baseboards when I was remodeling my house by having the front end of them pressed up against the windshield and the back end sticking ~4' out the open back window.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

scrubs season six posted:

front end of them pressed up against the windshield

So I'm guessing you never had to brake urgently.

edit for content, and speaking of brakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1beYrkDkSis

Brake failure at an intersection, apparently, and the driver couldn't hold the truck in place. One customer in the store sustained minor injuries.

Memento fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 18, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Memento posted:

So I'm guessing you never had to brake urgently.

Already resting against the windshield would probably let you brake harder than if they had room to slide into it, I'd think. Just don't accelerate too fast and then brake too fast :pseudo:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Just don't accelerate too fast

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Already resting against the windshield would probably let you brake harder than if they had room to slide into it, I'd think. Just don't accelerate too fast and then brake too fast :pseudo:

Windshields are surprisingly weak against firm pressure from the inside. I assume the curve has something to do with that, stronger against pressure coming in but weaker against going out.

That said I've done exactly the same thing before, my old housemate and I got 16 eight foot 2x4s in to his Mk5 GTI with something like a half inch to spare. That was probably the slowest trip home from town that vehicle ever saw.

Also I wish every SUV/van/wagon/hatchback would allow the glass to be opened, it's so nice. IMO the Land Rover style opening is best, with the lower part folding down to a tailgate and the upper part as a hatch. Too bad way too many manufacturers just make it a one-piece hatch.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I did a dumb thing along those lines exactly once, when I was a poor broke college student. It involved a 4 door sedan, a friend, and taking back roads at 10mph while we each held steady a queen sized mattress tied to the roof.

Nowadays I just stick with the "rent a pickup from uhaul" route for the 1 day per year on average I actually have to do poo poo like that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wolrah posted:

That said I've done exactly the same thing before, my old housemate and I got 16 eight foot 2x4s in to his Mk5 GTI with something like a half inch to spare. That was probably the slowest trip home from town that vehicle ever saw.

the best way to do this in a pontiac vibe is to put one end of the board down to where a front passenger would normally have their feet, and angle it diagonally across the rest of the cabin both horizontally and vertically. iirc the model i did this with had a pretty low armrest/compartment between the two front seats, so if you tilted the passenger seat back you could get several long boards safely wedged in like this. i don't know if you could get sixteen 2x4s like that though :lol:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/ScanBC/status/898658093734678528

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

poo poo, at least it wasn't the pedestrian overpass again. That one was right behind where this firetruck is, and the driver who hit it was crushed to death slowly after the entire span pancaked down onto his truck cab.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

poo poo, at least it wasn't the pedestrian overpass again. That one was right behind where this firetruck is, and the driver who hit it was crushed to death slowly after the entire span pancaked down onto his truck cab.

I arrived at that overpass five minutes after that incident occurred. Left me pretty shaken. :(

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Goddamn I've heard of that happening but never thought it happened anywhere near me!

Also lol traffic on Lougheed for the drive home

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh jeez, I hope you're doing better now Katelibc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4fp89a-edo

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 19, 2017

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Anyone care to guess what this would do to human skin? It works on leather...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

I bet it would burn it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-BfsnTw1X4

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Desert Bus posted:

It would burn it. And It would blind you instantly if the cat knocked it over and just the scatter hit your eyes. None of those people are wearing laser glasses. This is super dangerous, that has to be at least a class 4 laser and will cause eye damage just by looking at the dot on whatever it is burning. If you are burning tortillas in your restaurant in front of your customers and blinding them at the same time, you are doing it wrong.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You missed it but they were using protective goggles. They maybe Jackasses but they aren't that dumb.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

oohhboy posted:

You missed it but they were using protective goggles. They maybe Jackasses but they aren't that dumb.

I was referring to the one before it. I pocket sized laser capable of burning light colored materials. no glasses and poo poo if a child got ah hold of that woo..... If I remember right anything that strong to be sold to consumers has to have a key lock on it.

This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4fp89a-edo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Wow, the new "stupid newbie" avatar is kind of revolting.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Its really bad lol

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Memento posted:

Wow, the new "stupid newbie" avatar is kind of revolting.

Draw me a picture of a thumb with eyes and stubble pretty much encapsulates it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:wow: that is sooo not going to end up with someone's eye poked out with a laser stick.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Applesnots posted:

Draw me a picture of a thumb with eyes and stubble pretty much encapsulates it.

Actually I got a little curious, and it's a hell of a lot worse than that.

Man convicted of attempted rape wrote descriptions of his ‘perfect’ victims

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Applesnots posted:

pocket sized laser capable of burning light colored materials

Yeah I went from "okay well surely it's not that bad" to :magical: when they started engraving the random white plastic and junk. Doubly so with the "cut out felt pieces with your 2 year old right there! no biggie"

Cubiio Kickstarter posted:

Can Cubiio engrave metal, anodized aluminum, glass, mirror, concrete, stone, ceramics or pottery?

No. Technically, due to wavelength and laser power, Cubiio cannot work on these materials.

Can Cubiio engrave plastic?

It depends. There are so many kinds of "plastic" and it is impossible to test them all. As we tested so far, Cubiio can engrave on non-transparent acrylic, rubber, and can cut black vinyl paper. However, transparent or white materials are not recommended.

Wavelength and lifetime of the laser? Can laser source be changed?

450 nm and 10000 hours. No, Cubiio's laser source can NOT be changed.

quote:

Safety

Undoubtedly, any laser device might be harmful. Your safety is always our first priority. Cubiio has safety measures as below:

Eye Protection: Goggles are included in every Cubiio package. Always wear goggles while Cubiio is working. Do not look at the laser radiation even with the goggles.
Password Lock: Password is required before operating every time. Only authorized persons are allowed to use Cubiio.
Lasering Indication: A bright LED indicates when the laser is energized and operating.
Motion Detection: A sensitive 3-axis accelerometer is equipped. While accidental movement happens during operating, Cubiio will shut down immediately.
Overheat Shutdown: Cubiio should work in the environment with sufficient heat dissipation. If the inner temperature approaches to the damaging threshold, Cubiio turns itself off.
CubiioShield: Safety is priceless. We offer upgraded protection for users who have higher safety standard.

CubiioShield encloses laser inside but keep hands outside. It extracts and filters off the produced toxic fumes, harmful particles, and smell. We recommend to vent the fumes to outdoor space. If you don't have the possibility to do that you will need CubiioShield. If you plan to enjoy the fun of Cubiio with juveniles, you need CubiioShield as well. There’s also a built-in USB socket to power your Cubiio unit. Cubiio and CubiioShield are undergoing the laser certification process of IEC60825-1 and FDA CDRH. We will announce the result once the certification is obtained.

All of these readily obvious in their marketing video, of course. The "shutdown when moved" thing is a good idea but I wonder how many failsafes it has.

e:

If it takes 30 minutes to cut a leather bracelet then I'm thinking it's probably not going to do damage to skin unless you're just chilling there letting it burn your arm.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 19, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

so. how many of y'all gonna stare into the eclipse

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Well if I don't look at it how am I gonna see it

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm going to hope my phone can survive taking a few second video of the sun. It probably won't.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If you've got one somewhere, put a CD/DVD over the lens. It worked wonders with a point and shoot film camera years ago. Best if there's an area that's just silver, with no paint over it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'll find a twitch stream

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Grem posted:

I'm going to hope my phone can survive taking a few second video of the sun. It probably won't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8HRP-iqHRE

TLDW; basically the reason is cheap camera's these days can take the light intensity of a thousand suns and don't give a gently caress. It just looks boring because of course a recorded video has a max possible brightness.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Grem posted:

Does it have a cmos sensor or a CCD sensor?

[edit] if a light value of a cmos sensor is too high, it results in black

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
What? I don't know that poo poo I ain't no nerd. It's an S7 edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Go outside today & test it by pointing it at the sun.