Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
Every Borg drone I've seen looks like an assimilated human. Have they ever shown Borg drones that have alien features?

They show a queen with alien features but I can't remember a rank-and-file drone looking non-human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Most of the background borg are just jumpsuits with some electrical tape and one of those flexible tubes you hook your dryer vent up to wrapped around it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Space Taxi posted:

Every Borg drone I've seen looks like an assimilated human. Have they ever shown Borg drones that have alien features?

We see one with distinctly Klingon features in First Contact:

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
A Ferengi Borg would be adorable.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Space Taxi posted:

I think there's a throwaway line in Voyager that of all the Alpha Quadrant species they've encountered, the Ferengi are the least desirable for assimilation next to, like, the Pakleds.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
you'd think the Pakleds would be like the best ones to assimilate

"Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated"

"Oh...okay!"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Will assimilation make us go?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

you'd think the Pakleds would be like the best ones to assimilate

"Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated"

"Oh...okay!"

the pakled convince them that they'll agree to assimilation once the borg upgrade their engines

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Borg-jorans would have cubes bombing eachother within a week of assimilation and mass starvation would inexplicably sweep through the entire 6of8 through 20of32 drone habitats for no discernible reason.

The Darmok people would be a real mindfuck to the collective as well.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

DrPlump posted:

Why the gently caress would you fly a school into battle? Imagine sitting in class then all of a sudden you are floating in space because your rear end in a top hat captain got the ship blowed up.

Because space is boring except for when it's killing you.

Which brings us back to the eternal argument of: Is everybody in the future brave or naive? The appropriately titled episode "Disaster" is a good example of this. poo poo can happen at any time and with all their future technology they can't see see it coming. Is it too much of a hassle in day to day life to wear a uniform that doubles as a spacesuit? Is there such a high probability that most or all of the crew could be wiped out instantaneously that a space suit would simply make you die a little slower?

The Federation seems to be made up of Audi drivers who drive like assholes because they know they have more airbags than other cars

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Do you think the Borg can assimilate a Q if they snuck up on them they've shown Q to be capable of being surprised

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Which really sorta doesn't make sense

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

criscodisco posted:

Which really sorta doesn't make sense

Its like how you have the power to find out how every single book and movie ends before you even touch it. But you don't. Same thing.

And also sometimes a really good jambalaya chef punches you in the mouth.

Its life! Full o' delightful surprises.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

HAmbONE posted:

Is it too much of a hassle in day to day life to wear a uniform that doubles as a spacesuit?

Yeah, it is.

Like this isn't even a hard question. A good comparison right here on Earth would be the relationship between soldiers and armor. At no point in human history have soldiers worn their armor at all times, even in an active war zone. This is true no matter the technological level of the time or the weight/extent/role of the armor in combat. Even though they, like members of a Trek space ship, could suddenly be facing peril at a moment's notice, it is just too much to be encased in something 24/7. You keep it handy, and any if there is any sign of trouble you may put it on and leave it on for hours, but you don't just wear it around all day every day.

What would make sense is for there to be space suits in lockers near every work station and in every closet of personal quarters. But not for everyone to be walking around in full suits all day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Space Taxi posted:

They show a queen with alien features but I can't remember a rank-and-file drone looking non-human.

Actually yes, plenty of times in Voyager. Generally in the episodes with a plot consisting of "oh wait, I used to NOT be a Borg Drone", but they're there.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
werent the borg kids non-human but they just had some things on their forehead like naomi or whatever her name was?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Their parents were sacrificing them to the Borg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

werent the borg kids non-human but they just had some things on their forehead like naomi or whatever her name was?

Yup. There's also the Unimatrix Zero Borg who started a rebellion and promised to help Voyager... and were never, ever heard from again. And one episode with the small group who broke free because their ship crashed and Seven linked them all into a small three-man collective to stop them having emotions and individual thoughts (Which incidentally contradicts that stupid Cortical Node failsafe they cranked out to justify no character development for Seven).

criscodisco posted:

Their parents were sacrificing them to the Borg

That was only Icheb's rear end in a top hat geneticist parents. The others were merely assimilated.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
there was a bolian borg in first contact

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

but since they hadnt seen humans before tng there should be very few humans instead of the majority

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Space Taxi posted:

There's one in the novel Vendetta. I remember it being a decent book, but it provides a great example of how the showrunners paid absolutely no attention to the novels and happily trampled all over everything they tried to establish. It was written in 1991, pre-Hugh and very pre-Seven-of-Nine, and established that a detached, liberated Borg drone would be totally unresponsive in most situations, arguably all but brain dead. Oh, and the planet destroying concrete windsock thing from The Doomsday Machine was originally created as a weapon against the Borg.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

There's one in the novel Vendetta. I remember it being a decent book, but it provides a great example of how the showrunners paid absolutely no attention to the novels and happily trampled all over everything they tried to establish. It was written in 1991, pre-Hugh and very pre-Seven-of-Nine, and established that a detached, liberated Borg drone would be totally unresponsive in most situations, arguably all but brain dead. Oh, and the planet destroying concrete windsock thing from The Doomsday Machine was originally created as a weapon against the Borg.

why would they care about the novels? who cares

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I've got a long bus ride coming up and apparently the mobile version of Netflix let's you download episodes for offline viewing now.

I need ~18 hours of things to fill time, gimme you best of/favorite episodes of TNG and DS9 for me to binge while trying not to look at the passengers surrounding me.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Download Red Dwarf instead.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
In the pale moonlight
Whatever that bond episode is
Measure of a man
The drumhead

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

Wait, by the time Enterprise started they had several hundred episodes' worth of continuity from TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY to worry about -- and producers should have worried about several hundred more novels, which amount to little more than licensed fan-fiction? :stare:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I need ~18 hours of things to fill time, gimme you best of/favorite episodes of TNG and DS9 for me to binge while trying not to look at the passengers surrounding me.

There is a good stretch of episodes starting where Troi decides to gently caress the Perfect DNA Colony Leader and Riker has to beam up alone like Nog at the Academy's Sadie Hawkins Day Dance and then in like the next ep Riker fucks Ro Laren while Troi practically watches them do it and that "m'zadi" bullshit between Riker and Troi obviously cracks and then right away Riker goes for that androgynous shuttle pilot except its really obvious he doesn't like her and the whole crew knows it because how can you get over Ensign Ro Laren within the space of just two episodes? I think the first one is called "The Masterpiece Society"

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

corn in the bible posted:

why would they care about the novels? who cares

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

In the pale moonlight
Whatever that bond episode is
Measure of a man
The drumhead

"Our Man Bashir"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hey get the nineties one where they hang out with Sarah Silverman

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Timby posted:

Wait, by the time Enterprise started they had several hundred episodes' worth of continuity from TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY to worry about -- and producers should have worried about several hundred more novels, which amount to little more than licensed fan-fiction? :stare:

Q Squared was the worst loving thing I've ever read, and I used to collect Dragonlance and Star Wars books.

Expanded canon should never be used for any franchise in a serious manner for any reason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Facetious posted:

Q Squared was the worst loving thing I've ever read, and I used to collect Dragonlance and Star Wars books.

As a kid, I thought Peter David's stuff was awesome.

Today, Peter David is a guy who thought if he didn't pay his income taxes, the government wouldn't care -- then he attempted to crowdfund his back taxes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just to be clear, I'm agreeing with you. Expanded canon can be a fun diversion, but it's a continuity nightmare.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Compare and contrast Picard's bald boner about the stasis-being rights of psychic-sexual love goddess Kamala vs his outright anger at the existence of stasis-being and homely housewife Clare Raymond from the thawed earthling episode in Season 1.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hahahaha, Ds9 Chimera ends with Odo giving Kira a golden shower.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i wonder if odo ever hid inside kira's bajina

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

VectorSigma posted:

i wonder if odo ever hid inside kira's bajina

Odo's hobby was shapeshifting in ladies' underwear and waiting in their dressers until we got worn around. This is a fact.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Oberleutnant posted:

Odo's hobby was shapeshifting in ladies' underwear and waiting in their dressers until we got worn around. This is a fact.

That was more of Dr. Mora's ambition that he imprinted on to Odo through his early experiments. An unidentified sample, a petri dish, an electric current and a pair of french cut panties. Bajoran science at its best.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The Odo and Kira thing always felt forced to me. Yet I thought I heard both actors were all on board for it.

It is also a bit of a mind bender to think if not for Odo's lusting for Kira's celestial temple he would have been doomed the entire quadrant as a collaborator and traitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

a founder could be disguised as anything- a shiny surface on a console, a light fixture, or even a wedgie in that bum.