Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mix. posted:

Im inserting a scene where graha talks to us about umbral ice-9 and none of you can stop me :colbert:

Hey Brian loved your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
G'raha definitely read to me as platonic hero worship. And personally he felt like a little brother or whatever to my character.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They write to allow for flirtier interpretations at the player's discretion, but generally stop shy of actual explicit Yes Actually This is Intended to be Taken Romantically for the Warrior of Light As Well, No Convenient Excuses
Part of there being actual proposed dating mechanics in the past

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I just want the ability to tell him to dial it back a notch. Or two.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Eimi posted:

I just want the ability to tell him to dial it back a notch. Or two.

100% this. It makes him feel like the most immature person on a team with two 16-year-olds.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

TGLT posted:

I feel like I could write an award winning expansion for FF14

Zenos: I am horny... and ready to gently caress. Hard.
G'raha: shoves him aside No warrior of light! Stay true to the light! I am horny! And ready to gently caress! presses hi index fingers together, cat ears twitching Um, if you want, that is.
Estinien: arms crossed, leaned against a wall ... ... ... ... I'll gently caress.

Emet: in hell heaven Ahhh, if only I could express my deepest erotic desires to the Warrior of Light, whom I love and thirst for.
Hythlodaeus: in heaven, for real Oh well good news Venat just figured o-
Emet: No.

:hmmyes:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Haurchefant's intro involved lingering camera shots on your body as far as I remember so it kind of soured me on him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TGLT posted:

I feel like I could write an award winning expansion for FF14

Zenos: I am horny... and ready to gently caress. Hard.
G'raha: shoves him aside No warrior of light! Stay true to the light! I am horny! And ready to gently caress! presses hi index fingers together, cat ears twitching Um, if you want, that is.
Estinien: arms crossed, leaned against a wall ... ... ... ... I'll gently caress.

Emet: in hell heaven Ahhh, if only I could express my deepest erotic desires to the Warrior of Light, whom I love and thirst for.
Hythlodaeus: in heaven, for real Oh well good news Venat just figured o-
Emet: No.

I'm picturing Y'shtola standing in the background of all of these scenes, arms folded and looking on disapprovingly.

She is there in both heaven and hell.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

100% this. It makes him feel like the most immature person on a team with two 16-year-olds.

Yes that's the joke....130+ year old elder statesman and world saving wizard is also an early 20s hyper nerd.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I'm picturing Y'shtola standing in the background of all of these scenes, arms folded and looking on disapprovingly.

She is there in both heaven and hell.

effed up that Y'shtola is homophobic but she did always give me weird vibes

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes that's the joke....130+ year old elder statesman and world saving wizard is also an early 20s hyper nerd.

I’m tired of the joke.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

YES bread posted:

effed up that Y'shtola is homophobic but she did always give me weird vibes

Oh, no, you misunderstand. Y'shtola disapproves because she's anti-sex in totality. She doesn't care who's loving, she cares that they're loving.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Y'shtola theoretically supports sexual activity, in a committed relationship, between two emotionally-mature adults, who have planned out their relationship and know what they expect from each other and share a vision for building a future together.

This standard just doesn't encompass anybody she actually knows.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Frankly she's disappointed she wasn't simply spat out of the aetherial sea, fully formed as a 23 year old.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Hogama posted:

Part of there being actual proposed dating mechanics in the past
Do you mean that April Fools' joke or something else?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Do you mean that April Fools' joke or something else?
Without scrubbing through all interviews ever (I feel like it's come up more than once, somehow), I remember this recent one at least.

quote:

As we near the end of the Hydaelyn and Zodiark story arc spanning over the last decade, reach the culmination of all the work involved in both starting a new MMO and recreating it, and tread ground that few, if any, other MMO has before, I ask him: Are there still no plans for NPC dating side quests? Must I wait longer to have a date with Y’shtola, G’raha Tia, Aymeric, or even my problematic paramour who has been dead since the end of Shadowbringers?

Immediately after hearing the question, Yoshida laughs loudly before saying, “I hear that request actually fairly frequently.”

I know very well, but I wanted to ask anyway! He says it’s okay if I ask about it until the day he lets me date Y’shtola. And he’s kind enough to spare my heart by not saying no outright. But he discusses why it hasn’t happened and probably won’t for some time — if it ever does.

“It is a live game,” he begins. “I consider the NPCs as living beings. All of these characters have their life that continues within the realm of Final Fantasy XIV. You never know what happens to them in their lives. And by having that sort of date event with the Warrior of Light, it might kind of narrow their possibilities, you know? I’ve given it a lot of thought, like, what can I do to make that possible?”

One possibility that came up was having a mirage of a character, rather than making the actual person romanceable. But it was difficult to execute, so the idea was scrapped.

“If you look at it from that perspective, and NPCs being living beings, and they see a copy of them dating somebody else against their own will, wouldn’t that be kind of… that seems kind of insensitive to the NPCs themselves, too! So it’s a really hard line to draw there,” he says. “I’m afraid I haven’t really found a good solution just yet. For example, say maybe three expansions down from now Urianger is suddenly like, ‘Okay, I’m leaving Hydaelyn and going to Mars,’ or something like that. Those who may have had their hearts set on being with Urianger may get really mad [and say], ‘What are you doing to my Urianger, Yoshida? Bring him back!’”

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Hogama posted:

Frankly she's disappointed she wasn't simply spat out of the aetherial sea, fully formed as a 23 year old.

But she was, twice! :v:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Y’shtola learned that Matoya used to gently caress and has never recovered from that knowledge

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

y'shtola hosed the lion man and we all need to live with that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Endorph posted:

The only one who doesn't gently caress, never has hosed and never will gently caress is Urianger.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

I thought she did up until the final scene with them which made it seem extremely that they weren't.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Kazy posted:

But she was, twice! :v:

Want to see a quest in, like, 8.4 where we're all trying to figure out what Y'Shtola's worried about and it ends up just being that she's about to have her 23rd birthday for the seventh time.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Y'shtola is married to her job as "book reader and fireball maker" so she has no time for carnal pleasure.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Endorph posted:

all of these names are less stupid than sea wolf and cat names.

Sea wolf and cat names are cool, though.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Tataru is my canon wife in the source and Giott is my canon wife in the first. There will be no more discussion on this fact.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

stev posted:

The only one who doesn't gently caress, never has hosed and never will gently caress is Urianger.

he probably calls it something dumb as hell like "lustful coupling"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Sea wolf and cat names are cool, though.

false

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

stev posted:

Yet another reason why killing off Moen was a mistake. Also we need another tank in trusts, G'raha is overworked, but whatever

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rexicon1 posted:

Tataru is my canon wife in the source and Giott is my canon wife in the first. There will be no more discussion on this fact.

are you a male au ra

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Can't be false because it's an opinion, not a fact.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I want Fordola, Sadu, Hilda, my boy Alka Zolka and his lizard wife, Estinien, and Arenveld to all hang out with me and explore Meracydia together.

Meteion can come too if she fulfills the role of Tataru in the SB Four Lords solo duty.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I wonder if Meteion's outfit will ever go up for the cash shop. Hermes had good style sense at least.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You'll only get Merlwyb's childhood pirate pal and you'll like it.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

That's just the moonward aiming set

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Grimoire posted:

Yet another reason why killing off Moen was a mistake. Also we need another tank in trusts, G'raha is overworked, but whatever

We should befriend a warrior or dark knight next expansion. Maybe another healer too if Urianger ends up sitting things out so Alphinaud won't have to do all the healing himself.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

moonward aiming doesn't have a cute little winged brooch

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Draxion posted:

That's just the moonward aiming set

I just went and looked at the Moonward aiming set and... it's not, even a little bit :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, no, that's not it at all.