Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ideate posted:

'A Chris Roberts Production'

No I don't think this is a movie at all

:lol: Christ Croberts thinks he's Hideo Kojima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

:lol: Christ Croberts thinks he's Hideo Kojima

He isn't?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I just asked in chat why Ben wasn't streaming with him

It didn't elicit as big a response as I had hoped :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sappo569 posted:

You should ask him if Ben dying means he doesn't owe him a wookie life-debt anymore

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

peter gabriel posted:

When people are ill everything sort of stops for me and I just wish them well
I don't think Ben can eat a well, :pgabz:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Get well Ben!

I still think your game is really dumb, but being sick sucks and I hope you make a speedy recovery!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

When people are ill everything sort of stops for me and I just wish them well

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Get well Ben!

I still think your game is really dumb, but being sick sucks and I hope you make a speedy recovery!

yea, all the death jokes are in pretty poor taste imo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i think you'll find that he posted racist quotes on a website no-one visited at a time when this very website appeared to replace every comma with the word human being and as such it's cool / normal to laugh at him literally dying

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Google Butt posted:

i find it hard to feel sympathy for him after ben ghazi imo

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Conspiratiorist posted:

i find it hard to feel sympathy for him after ben ghazi imo

theres a difference between having no sympathy and joking about him dying

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Sappo569 posted:

probably because its actually not very funny

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I know Ben hurt peoples fee-fees with his hurtful words on the internet and he's a weirdo, but its all just internet drama and bullshit, the whole entire star citizen thing from top to bottom. It doesnt actually matter, its entertainment.

He's a real person, has friends and family, and he's in a bad way. Try to remember that you are a real person too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

word

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
on disco's stream he said he likes trains

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

on disco's stream he said he likes trains

Burn him on the cross!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I fantasize about raping and murdering the children I work with. jk.

Hope that didn't hurt anyone's feelings and I certainly hope other people are more sympathetic to me. Otherwise they'd be hypocrites.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 18, 2016

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

hakimashou posted:

I know Ben hurt peoples fee-fees with his hurtful words on the internet and he's a weirdo, but its all just internet drama and bullshit, the whole entire star citizen thing from top to bottom. It doesnt actually matter, its entertainment.

He's a real person, has friends and family, and he's in a bad way. Try to remember that you are a real person too.

after he recovers he should quit immediately

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SurfaceDetail posted:

Lando just said NO BIG REVEAL at gamescom

Seems the stream is still going. Wont you happen to have a time stamp for that?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Blood in the water

A shiver of hungry sharks

We are all goons here

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I fantasize about raping and murdering the children I work with. jk.

Hope that didn't hurt anyone's feelings and I certainly hope other people are more sympathetic to me. Otherwise they'd be hypocrites.

This may surprise you, but wishing for someone to die or making lame jokes about it is not the same as speaking out about their offenses.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
so lando said some dumb things:

sq42 has been in story lockdown forever, well, except when they need to do rewrites because characters don't make any sense anymore

also he refuses to know anything story related about sq42 (like how do you have a CM that doesn't even play the game until release wtf) but all the reddit threads about the story aren't right and are just pale imitations of chris's brilliance

and he's loving playing RDR instead of loving SC, like what the gently caress are you doing dude (playing fuckin badly too)

this is the most bullshit hack job studio full of dumb rear end employees I have ever seen, seriously

basically I'm mad I don't know anything about game development

where's pgabz so we can hulk the gently caress out together

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Google Butt posted:

theres a difference between having no sympathy and joking about him dying

I'm sorry this schadenfreude thread isn't up to your high brow humor standards

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol at lando playing RDR, a console only game, while promoting star citizen, a pc only game

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm sorry this schadenfreude thread isn't up to your high brow humor standards

it's actually really funny. people itt got so mad a words from a big fat dweeb that they earnestly wish death upon him. lol.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I liked my haiku :colbert:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Was strolling casually the StarCitizen subreddit to see any reaction to the free fly and I spot this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4t931q/coming_from_elite_dangerous_im_in_awe_with_the/

quote:

I played for 2 hours and had so much fun. Much more fun that my 200 hours of Elite. Is it worth buying? What's the opinion of the veterans?

OP claims to have 200 hours in Elite and states that the little he can see in SC gets him in awe of its scope. I look into the post history of the OP and after scrolling 10 pages I can not find a single post by said user in the Elite subreddit eventhough he seems to have been a redditor for over a year.

lol

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

MedicineHut posted:

Seems the stream is still going. Wont you happen to have a time stamp for that?

1:41

SurfaceDetail's statement is accurate. Lando said no big reveal, lots of streaming of playing the game, and a ton of giveaways.

Edit: Video gone.

XK fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 18, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lesnick eats a lot

Mounds of free and tasty food

Sepsis can kill you

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SurfaceDetail posted:

I bet he has hypernatremia from all the articles and even diehard believers saying the CM sucks.

:eyepop:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

MedicineHut posted:

Was strolling casually the StarCitizen subreddit to see any reaction to the free fly and I spot this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4t931q/coming_from_elite_dangerous_im_in_awe_with_the/

OP claims to have 200 hours in Elite and states that the little he can see in SC gets him in awe of its scope. I look into the post history of the OP and after scrolling 10 pages I can not find a single post by said user in the Elite subreddit eventhough he seems to have been a redditor for over a year.

lol

Sandi, VP of Marketing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MedicineHut posted:

lol

Eh, for what its worth just because you use reddit doesnt mean youre on every subreddit that matches your interests.

I can only imagine that the guy's sense of amazement comes at being a tiny man in a space station looking sideways at a planet. It makesyou feel small and insignificant and I can understand if you never felt that in Elite (for whatever reason)

Sounds like he got his money's worth though, definitely seems like it'd be a recommendation if it can keep you entertained for over a week straigth.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I will mock Ben mercilessly in song but I won't stoop to the depth of a Shitizen or Redditor. I have my reputation to think of.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A link to game fans

Their love is everlasting

Product lacks content

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
He may be dying

Hates dinks, leavers, blacks, and kids

Get well soon, I guess

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So despite labelling itself otherwise it could still be regarded as an MMO.

As an aside, what about MMOs that are FPSs? Where is the line drawn between FPS and MMO netcode?

I don't ask these out of spite, I'm just trying to get other opinions on this.

Like I said, many modern multiplayer games are MMO-like. Star Citizen is missing the massively multiplayer part for a start. Having a pool of 32 player servers running the same instance is different to a number of servers running a unique instance with hundreds of players. Similar overheads, different result.

Netcode design is highly dependant on game design, but it is generally similar within a genre. Each genre has its own set technical requirements and priorities in order to deliver a good gameplay experience. For example (I'm not an expert on any implementation, and all examples are only illustrative): A turn based game might not have any expectation for when data should arrive, it just listens for a single big container full of a turn's worth of actions. A RTS might collect and time-stamp every command (build, move, attack) and send them to the opponent; those commands can be fed into their game to produce an accurate replica of your game state.

So FPS netcode... In a competitive FPS you assume that all players need to regularly receive accurate representations of the game state. The best way to accomplish this is to capture the vital data for each player and send it out at a fixed interval (tick rate). In that same interval the server must reconcile everyone's data, come up with an authoritative game state, and send it back to every client. As you can guess, this doesn't scale too well. For each additional player, you have to send more data, and do more calculations within the same time interval.

So an MMO FPS might differ in that less consideration is given to accuracy and latency. It might also be more selective about the amount of data the server collects and processes. Since it is unlikely every player will be at the same spot on the map, perhaps it splits players up into groups of 32, maintains synchronicity between the local group, and parallelises the workload. So maybe a 256 player game could be represented as 8 groups of 32 players, and be calculated on 8 independent threads across 4-8 CPU cores (I think MAG did something like this). Whereas a 64 player FPS might have to perform the same calculations on a single thread, on a single CPU core. It's starting to get complicated!

So in an MMO that isn't just a big FPS map, perhaps even more assumptions can be relaxed, and the server can speculate on what is the most appropriate ratio of accuracy to efficiency. In a safe zone like Port Olisar, you will find the highest population of players. Conversely it will requires the least amount of work to produce a 'good enough' game state. You don't need to synchronise any fps of dog-fighting data. The position and orientation of players don't need to be exact, and who cares about player collision detection because you don't want an arsehole to be able to block a doorway. The server might do a forward projection and not send data for 95% of players on the station because you won't be able to move within visual range of them within the next 10 seconds. There's a lot of little shortcuts that could be taken to be able to support hundreds of players. The data won't be as precise as a game of counter-strike, but you don't need it to be. Oh and don't forget all of this needs to be synchronised alongside a database containing persistent data.

It appears that Star Citizen is going down the route of taking the FPS netcode, and slimming it down to something resembling FPS MMO netcode. You hear talk of them not having to send 8 megs of data to spawn a ship. That's a trade off between accuracy and efficiency (who cares about accurately spawning each tiny element of a ship). The problem is Star Citizen meshes ship combat, ground combat, and social elements together and is hard to separate. FPS netcode is too naive to be able to get the most bang for your buck. Unless they rebuild the netcode from the ground up to accommodate the special snowflake networking loads, the game will never scale to an MMO.

Some behind-the-scenes server glue that allows you to move seamlessly between instances does not an MMO make. Which is why Star Citizen is not an MMO. And you wonder why I was a little cagey about what constitutes an MMO, I lost a few hours typing and editing.

This post is more 'open' about the development of a hypothetical MMO than CIG has ever been about Star Citizen.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

XK posted:

1:41

SurfaceDetail's statement is accurate. Lando said no big reveal, lots of streaming of playing the game, and a ton of giveaways.

Edit: Video gone.

Yeah. Video gone now. Thanks anyways.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
There was a fat man named Loaf
Who was a bit of an oaf
He was incredibly well fed
and ended up in bed
And won't be the subject of a Bouffe

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

The forum page is acting up no? Or is it just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Google Butt posted:

Life's a piece of poo poo when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke it's true
You'll see it's all a show keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

• Locked thread