Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's also pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Timby posted:

Please do. That's a horrendously homophobic movie.

Yes, wring your hands over a movie made to be as offensive as possible to everyone possible. The movie is loving funny, get over it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I've never seen The Blues Brothers. Should I go with the theatrical cut or director's cut?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Almost Blue posted:

I've never seen The Blues Brothers. Should I go with the theatrical cut or director's cut?

You can’t go wrong with either one! Watch whatever’s handy and check out the other cut for your second viewing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Almost Blue posted:

Go for the second work print imo

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

Technically, it's either the theatrical cut or extended cut. The latter is basically a preview version except one reel didn't survive (extra footage for Bob's Country Bunker).

I think theatrical is best for your first time since it's tighter, but extended is worth a watch later since a lot of musical numbers have extra footage.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's mediocre writing with two great actors. They elevate some parts of the material, but some of it is unsalvageable (like the infamous fried chicken scene). How it all shakes out depends on your tolerance for the way it deals with its themes compared to how much you enjoy watching two great actors play off each other.

This is a good take. I agree.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Krankenstyle posted:

yeah that one

also doesthedogdie.com which is apparently tracking over 40 topics now :aaaaa:

But of course there has to be a http://www.cinemacats.com

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's mediocre writing with two great actors. They elevate some parts of the material, but some of it is unsalvageable (like the infamous fried chicken scene). How it all shakes out depends on your tolerance for the way it deals with its themes compared to how much you enjoy watching two great actors play off each other.

Yeah I agree on this as well. Me and my wife enjoyed the movie. Solid acting, but we also thought it looked really beautiful at times.
I haven't read up on the controversy. What is the main criticism it received?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
- writer spreads islamophobic conspiracy theory on twitter
- shirley's family apparently unhappy/not consulted
- viggo mortensen using n-word in interview
- movie presents racism as a thing of the past / a character flaw rather than systemic / something that will pass if the white racist befriends One Of The Good Ones (apparently; I haven't seen the movie)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

peer posted:

- shirley's family apparently unhappy/not consulted

The family claims the movie is basically a complete fiction

quote:

“It was rather jarring,” Edwin shared with Shadow and Act of his first experience seeing this on-screen portrayal of his uncle as a Black man who is estranged from his family, estranged from the Black community and seemingly embarrassed by Blackness.

Never mind that Dr. Shirley was active in the civil rights movement, friends with Dr. King, present for the march in Selma, and close friends with Black musicians—from Nina Simone to Duke Ellington and Sarah Vaughn—Dr. Shirley was also very much a part of his family’s lives.

quote:

Unfortunately, for the family, there is more wrong than there is right, including the crux of the film—that Green Book, as Universal's marketing materials advertise, is “inspired by a true friendship.”

“No,” Maurice and his wife Patricia Shirley said in a uniformed scoff when asked if Dr. Shirley and Vallelonga were ever close friends. “Not at all,” Patricia said.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_RTnuJvg6U

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

peer posted:

- movie presents racism as a thing of the past / a character flaw rather than systemic / something that will pass if the white racist befriends One Of The Good Ones (apparently; I haven't seen the movie)

What's odd is that Green Book doesn't even work as the narrative of a man overcoming his racist attitudes. Early on, Tony is shown to be so repulsed by black people that he'd rather throw glasses they drunk from in the trash than wash them, but that kind of extreme revulsion instantly disappears the minute he meets Don. From that point forward, he has no problems whatsoever hanging out with black people even if it doesn't benefit him in any way; jovially chatting with chauffeurs and people in a bar. It's like the film figured actually having him confront his own views and changing them based on his experiences was too much work, so they just pull the switch and have him transform overnight.

The only racist attitude he keeps after becoming Don's driver, his inability to see black people as anything other than a homogeneous mass who must obviously all love fried chicken and Little Richard, is also the only one the film never challenges him on. It even backs him up on that point.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How much is Octavia Spencer onscreen in The Shape of Water? I can't stand her and won't watch anything she's in but that movie is now streaming on HBO and I've certainly heard many good things.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How much is Octavia Spencer onscreen in The Shape of Water? I can't stand her and won't watch anything she's in but that movie is now streaming on HBO and I've certainly heard many good things.

She plays Gill Man, so it looks like you're out of luck this time.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Sorry, wrong thread

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 6, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

There's a double-exposure on every frame with her face so you cant miss the point that the film is about bigotry

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Samuel Clemens posted:

What's odd is that Green Book doesn't even work as the narrative of a man overcoming his racist attitudes. Early on, Tony is shown to be so repulsed by black people that he'd rather throw glasses they drunk from in the trash than wash them, but that kind of extreme revulsion instantly disappears the minute he meets Don. From that point forward, he has no problems whatsoever hanging out with black people even if it doesn't benefit him in any way; jovially chatting with chauffeurs and people in a bar. It's like the film figured actually having him confront his own views and changing them based on his experiences was too much work, so they just pull the switch and have him transform overnight.

This is a weird point indeed. I can disconnect with the other remarks stated while watching the movie, but this one specifically makes little sense within the narrative. The family scene at the end as well, now that I think about it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I just have to know, why do you have such a revulsion towards her? Is there something specific, or does she just kind of bug you in some unquantifiable way?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

piratepilates posted:

I just have to know, why do you have such a revulsion towards her? Is there something specific, or does she just kind of bug you in some unquantifiable way?

I'd say unquantifiable way. Some acting people just annoy me and I'd rather just not watch stuff they're in, isn't that true for everybody? I'd say nobody annoys me more than Octavia Spencer or Seth MacFarlane. I'm sorry my opinions are wrong and stupid.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'd say unquantifiable way. Some acting people just annoy me and I'd rather just not watch stuff they're in, isn't that true for everybody? I'd say nobody annoys me more than Octavia Spencer or Seth MacFarlane. I'm sorry my opinions are wrong and stupid.

Nah I totally get what you mean, I wasn't sure how I could word that in a way that didn't sound judgemental. We all have those people that for whatever reason just trigger something in our brain to make us not like them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What's a good example of a film having the opposite message from the one the creator intended? Like trying to make anti-Communist propaganda with horrifying reds but making the revolutionaries look cool and badass and justified (as seen in Dark Knight Rises).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Starship Troopers and Forrest Gump spring to mind, the latter not so much but still a black comedy viewed as an uplifting, positive film about the American Dream.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

Please do. That's a horrendously homophobic movie.

It's been sooooo long since I've seen it, do you mean beacaue of the scene about the dildo?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

marktheando posted:

What's a good example of a film having the opposite message from the one the creator intended? Like trying to make anti-Communist propaganda with horrifying reds but making the revolutionaries look cool and badass and justified (as seen in Dark Knight Rises).

In college I met several jar-heads there on the GI bill that joined the Marines because of Full Metal Jacket. See also idiots who start their own fight clubs after seeing Fight Club.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

marktheando posted:

A whole lotta people took Fight Club the wrong way (in effect, proving its point)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Scarface?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I want an anti-subtlety in movies law. It wouldn't stop people from making any movies they like! What it would do is create a government agency that would force movie creators to testify as to what their film is about or what it's message is, under oath and in public. Large bars of flashing text simply explaining its message or theme, appearing intermittently, would then be added to the movie. For instance, in Full Metal Jacket, the words "THIS IS ANTI-WAR" and "WAR IS BAD" might appear occasionally, taking up a significant portion of the viewing area and blinking for 8-12 seconds.

Okay, I don't really want that, but hearing about people joining the military after watching Full Metal Jacket makes me feel like I want it for a least a second. That's loving awful.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

I want an anti-subtlety in movies law. It wouldn't stop people from making any movies they like! What it would do is create a government agency that would force movie creators to testify as to what their film is about or what it's message is, under oath and in public. Large bars of flashing text simply explaining its message or theme, appearing intermittently, would then be added to the movie. For instance, in Full Metal Jacket, the words "THIS IS ANTI-WAR" and "WAR IS BAD" might appear occasionally, taking up a significant portion of the viewing area and blinking for 8-12 seconds.

Okay, I don't really want that, but hearing about people joining the military after watching Full Metal Jacket makes me feel like I want it for a least a second. That's loving awful.
Maybe something like the "This is still a true story" popping up in Pain and Gain while The Rock was grilling the fingerprints off of a couple of severed hands.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"
*Text flying across the screen 'Napalm is actually really horrifying.'*

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Crumps Brother posted:

Maybe something like the "This is still a true story" popping up in Pain and Gain while The Rock was grilling the fingerprints off of a couple of severed hands.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"
*Text flying across the screen 'Napalm is actually really horrifying.'*

LTC Kilgore is what every Cavalry officer aspires to be. Take that for what it is.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

marktheando posted:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956).

A. A warning on McCarthyism?
B. A warning on communism?
C. A warning on conformity?
D. All of the above?
E. None of the above?

According to the producer it was E.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also, hilariously it's only even a controversy because the writer was like "no, no, I was warning about communism!"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

marktheando posted:

the red pill

Parachute
May 18, 2003
gremlins 2 suggested that gremlins taking over a skycraper in nyc would be pretty cool especially if there were some with special powers but i mean i can't really agree. they would gently caress everything up!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
*reads the post about FMJ being an (unintended) recruitment tool for the military* actually maybe we should just release the gremlins everywhere

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zogo posted:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956).

A. A warning on McCarthyism?
B. A warning on communism?
C. A warning on conformity?
D. All of the above?
E. None of the above?

According to the producer it was E.

It's funny how a lot of films from that era can be read as either anti-McCarthyist or anti-communist. The same debate is held around On the Waterfront.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cease to Hope posted:

the red pill

I read something the other day in a doxx of some dumb white supremacist dolt, and one of the things he said in a chat transcript was “luckily my girlfriend was redpilled already”.

Like, I know what he thinks he’s saying... but what he’s actually saying is “my girlfriend is a mtf transsexual who is on estrogen tablets”.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Does anybody remember or have a link to an obscure Eastern European (possibly Ukrainian) cartoon that features a kid that wishes to become a fish (at least I think that's what happens - there are no subtitles)?

A goofy Sea-Gandalf appears and tries to grant his wish. The animation is surreal. A fish eats another fish and then poops out the tail of that fish which serves as its own tail afterward.

I would guess it was made in the 70s.

I think the title is "Vi Sine More" but google isn't helping me.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

FaradayCage posted:

Does anybody remember or have a link to an obscure Eastern European (possibly Ukrainian) cartoon that features a kid that wishes to become a fish (at least I think that's what happens - there are no subtitles)?

A goofy Sea-Gandalf appears and tries to grant his wish. The animation is surreal. A fish eats another fish and then poops out the tail of that fish which serves as its own tail afterward.

I would guess it was made in the 70s.

I think the title is "Vi Sine More" but google isn't helping me.

"V sinem more, v beloy pene" - created in 1984 by the Soviet Armenian director Robert Sahakyants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmF_imBU9nE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Re-watching Willow and the making of special features on the Blu-ray. It looks like George Lucas just co-directed or ghost directed it with Ron Howard. He was the producer so maybe he was just very involved in the process, but I wonder why he just didn't direct it himself?