Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Probably Cha'am or Huahin. They're easy enough to get to, relatively close to Bangkok, and they're not islands so they attract fewer backpackers. You'll run into plenty of old Germans though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of the more popular islands also have at least one out of the way beach the the party animals don't bother making the trek to. Phuket maybe is not the best choice though, you've got that right.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Grand Fromage posted:

This thread is too long.

My friend would like to go to a beach but not one covered with vomiting 20 year olds, so I suggested she not go to Phuket. Where's a chillax beach place? She just wants to beach and eat and has no interest in partying or anything.
When? This is a major tourist country, so stuff like "when" makes a big difference too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

February. Anything relatively isolated is good. Old Germans are acceptable.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

February. Anything relatively isolated is good. Old Germans are acceptable.

Ko Chang noi (on the Andaman coast), or Ko Yao Noi. The former doesn't have electricity, but it does have old Dutch bikers.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

I've got the same question, honestly. I'm flying in to Phuket because that's the only place anyone I've talked to has gone, but after reading this thread I'm thinking Koh Larn might be more my style. What's traveling like? I have the money to fly up there, but I think I might have more fun treking and exploring. All I know is I'm not down for a 12 hr bus ride. What are some suggestions near Phuket or should I just look into island hopping?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Atlas Hugged posted:

You'll run into plenty of old Germans though.

That's basically true for everywhere though.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Drive over the bridge, or take a boat from Phuket into Krabi. Ao Nang is a nice base to explore.

If you mean the Koh Larn that's near Pattaya, then it's good for a day trip if you're already in Pattaya, but otherwise nothing special, and Pattaya itself is filled with sex tourists and Chinese tour groups.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Ko Muk is quiet, and Ko Bulone Leh is practically desolate by comparison to many islands.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Tytan posted:

Just a reminder for anyone who comes to Phnom Penh, it's literally compulsory to have a beer and eat beef bbq with me.

For my future reference

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Koh Samet has some nice relaxing beaches and isn't terribly difficult to get to.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Koh Samet has some nice relaxing beaches and isn't terribly difficult to get to.

The best overall beach meal I had was probably on Koh Samet as well but I don't think that particular meal would be predictive for future meals. It's unlikely that the particular Burmese/Cambodian they had cooking that day established a culinary legacy on that island that lives on to this day.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Best fish I'd ever eaten (I eat a lot) came from Bansulaida Restaurant on Ko Bulone. We picked out the fish we wanted from their icebox and about an hour later the owners \ chefs were laughing with us at how drat much we enjoyed the food.

Also cell service chat: if you only need internet, AIS Freedom Unlimited is what you want. 100b a week, be goony as gently caress. Telewiz is their retail store. Walk up with a passport and about 150b and walk out happy. Easy as poo poo and I speak maybe 25 words of Thai. I am typing this from the top of the Phra Bong Viewpoint in MHS province.

Love it.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

FaceEater posted:

I am typing this from the top of the Phra Bong Viewpoint in MHS province.

You can't say that and not attach a photo :(

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Okay fine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
MHS is pretty

raton fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 30, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I went to Mon cham with a Thai friend and she burst out laughing when I noticed it was mostly Thai tourists from Bangkok and not Chinese.. 'Yes the bus can't go up here'

If I was in charge of rural roads I would make it all narrow, winding and super fun on a scooter, reachable by songtaew but completely inaccessible to tour buses. Either that or a three tier pricing system, Thai, foreigner and people who have a little plastic number badge pinned to them.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
The formative experience of having just vomited until I rocketed chunks of Thai chilis, peanuts, and bile out of my nose is sealing the deal. This place rocks.

Also I'm gonna go see about them worms. Cheers!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Just got back from a little over two weeks in India, Cambodia, and Singapore.

First, I'll go into detail more in my India thread. I enjoyed my time there, but I'd never go back. My goal was to get out of the country scammed out of less than $10. I succeded.

Siem Reap was awesome. I wish I had more time to spend at the different temples in the Angkor Wat area. The main temple was pretty full on Dec 24th, but the other popular ones were reasonable. There was definitely enough to do to spend 2 days in temples and other stuff north. The "floating village" wasn't floating, dry season and all. It was still fine for a $15 tour because whatever, $15. The circus actually sold out Christmas Day and Dec 26th, so I did not get to go. The city of Siem Reap itself is a bit confusing to me-- there's tons of tourist industry built up in the city, but most of it sits empty. Everyone sat between Temple Club and the one across the street, with locals intermingling with tourists in the street between. I stayed at Funky Flashpacker, which is meant to be a XS pool party/Roosevelt Hotel experience on a budget. I would recommend it on the showers and toilet alone. Everything was new and clean and it was probably the best party/hookup scene I've seen in a hostel. I put my luggage into my locker and was immediately invited to go eat weed pizza, and the rest of the week took off from there.

Singapore is an odd one. It's basically a miracle within the context of being compared to every other city in the region-- it's clean, modern, western, and has low crime. Transporatation infrastructure gets an A++++++++. The nature of their government can be felt in all the "nudge' messaging. I saw "be courteous" and at first it was a nice breath of fresh air after dealing with Chinese tourists for two weeks, but after a few hours it was clear the subtext was "or else." It's basically the city from Demolition Man. A friend linked some "human rights violations" complaints about the city and it's not to be outright dismissed, but I believe every country has some abhorrent human rights practicies (especially when it comes to poor migrant workers).

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Singapore will literally beat the poo poo out of you for what in the US would be a minor misdemeanor.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cambo, stolen from Reddit

I like the rear fender made out of trashweeds myself

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Negligent posted:

Singapore will literally beat the poo poo out of you for what in the US would be a minor misdemeanor.

United States immigration basically allows undocumented immigrants to come into the country to work in the beef industry. The workers are provided no protections, the women are raped, they live in awful conditions, and eventually ICE comes through at the beef plant's request either to remove problematic workers (labor organizers) or to make room for new workers who will work for even less.

I'm not trying to handwave the caning, but I just want to make clear my position is that everywhere basically sucks when examined through that lens. The financial wrecking of the $4,000 US fine for non-food-based littering/garbage dumping might actually be worse than caning.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I come from a country that has offshore concentration camps that drive children to suicide so I'm not speaking from a position of great moral authority or anything.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Singapore makes high profile punishments for certain things, but let's the Geylang red light district go free pretty much. It's basically an 'everything in it's place' country to a real extreme.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There must be order!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Boy I sure am glad I live in Canada....

Oh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's a good site for Kuala Lumpur? I just discovered how much cheaper it would be to go there than Chiang Mai and I'm intrigued.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

What's a good site for Kuala Lumpur? I just discovered how much cheaper it would be to go there than Chiang Mai and I'm intrigued.

Eh, I'd say that KL isn't the big tourist destination for Malaysia. It's usually just a hub for getting to other cities. There's stuff like Petaling Street which is the big Chinatown, but if you want history/culture go down to Malacca, while for food head north via Ipoh to Penang. East coast/East Malaysia is good for snorkelling/diving if that's what you're into, but I haven't been there in a while so I can't say if it's still any good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Given how cheap the train is I'd probably go to Penang too. With Air Asia I can fly to and from KL and all my hotels combined would still be cheaper than just the flight to Chiang Mai. Also there is Indian food and I haven't had that in a year.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Kuala Lumpur is the most boring city I have ever been in, and I've been to Adelaide

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It was the most boring city I've ever had the misfortune to be born in. It's always kinda sad when friends ask me about what's good about KL and you just have to kinda go "meh".

Also Malaysian food is the best, never miss it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I would take a bus instead of train, trains never run on time

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ibblebibble posted:

It was the most boring city I've ever had the misfortune to be born in. It's always kinda sad when friends ask me about what's good about KL and you just have to kinda go "meh".

Also Malaysian food is the best, never miss it.
"At least it's not Manila or Jakarta."

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
How strictly do the Thai airlines enforce their carry-on luggage weight limits?

I am looking at Thai airways and their limit of 7kg seems ridiculously low.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

beefnchedda posted:

How strictly do the Thai airlines enforce their carry-on luggage weight limits?

I am looking at Thai airways and their limit of 7kg seems ridiculously low.

Depends on airport.

Changi is very very strict, they have an attendant before entering security to weigh your hand carry if you fly any of the budget airlines.

Other than all the other carriers don't really give a drat. People go nuts and get lots of duty free anyways. Even Air Asia didn't bother checking me

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I reckon if your bag looks to the naked eye like you're not taking the piss you're fine.

I have a 45 litre backpack that holds enough stuff to last me 2 months. On the AirAsia checkin scales in Perth it was over 9kg. No problem.

Another cheap airline, Hkexpress didn't even bother weighing it at Chiang Mai or at HKIA.

The Chinese tourists who had big wheelie suitcases and backpackers with huge hiking bags got their poo poo weighed.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Negligent posted:

I reckon if your bag looks to the naked eye like you're not taking the piss you're fine.

I have a 45 litre backpack that holds enough stuff to last me 2 months. On the AirAsia checkin scales in Perth it was over 9kg. No problem.

Another cheap airline, Hkexpress didn't even bother weighing it at Chiang Mai or at HKIA.

The Chinese tourists who had big wheelie suitcases and backpackers with huge hiking bags got their poo poo weighed.

Yep. Rocking a 35 liter pack and a smaller handbag thing and no one has batted an eye nor weighed anything, and I've carried on every time no problem.

Now that I've added a motorcycle helmet though...

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Negligent posted:

Kuala Lumpur is the most boring city I have ever been in, and I've been to Adelaide

Hey. Adelaide's not bad!

I only visit Kuala Lumpur because I have friends there and we spend most of our time eating. If they weren't there it would be boring as hell after having been to the few museums and sights worth seeing.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Well this sounds legit.

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/roo/5384261315.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hahahahaha, wow. I almost want to apply for that just to see what happens.