Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

raverrn posted:

Nobody remembers the AC/2 :smith:

Why does everyone hate the base Jagermech? Because it wastes tonnage on AC/2s. But you are correct that the gun no one wants does have a 24 hex range. Original post corrected above.

EDIT: sp

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Pinguliten posted:

Ohgod the mwomerch forum. It's filled to the brim of role playing idiots claiming they're from the clans, that they're some Davions cousin or that they're the GDL or Wolfs Dragoons.

I've not really read of that up there, but I've always aligned myself with Wolf/Wolf In Exile. I've found pretty much anybody that's dipped more than a toe into battletech/mechwarrior finds one faction and latches onto it. I just see what you've mentioned as that combined with Sturgeon's Law.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tarquinn posted:

This:

duct taped to this:

Kinda.
Ah yes, the microphone missile. A technology developed out of a sense of spergey completeness to complement this.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rorac posted:

I've not really read of that up there, but I've always aligned myself with Wolf/Wolf In Exile. I've found pretty much anybody that's dipped more than a toe into battletech/mechwarrior finds one faction and latches onto it. I just see what you've mentioned as that combined with Sturgeon's Law.

I pretty much AM the Lyran Commonwealth.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arquinsiel posted:

Ah yes, the microphone missile. A technology developed out of a sense of spergey completeness to complement this.

Please tell me that bit is set in atmosphere. So that it makes marginally more sense than just PUNCHING A HOLE IN THE DOME AND LETTING EVERYONE WITHIN DIE THAT WAY. Oh wait, just finished watching, no it wasn't.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The ships in Macross have been shown to have auto-sealing properties to prevent hull breaches becoming entirely catastrophic.

That said, he does then have his voice stolen, and they fix it by rocking at it until he gets better. And then he rocks a bit more to celebrate. And he flies his giant robot with a Guitar Hero controller.

Seriously, don't even try that "reality" poo poo on Macross, it gives no fucks.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Fil5000 posted:

Please tell me that bit is set in atmosphere. So that it makes marginally more sense than just PUNCHING A HOLE IN THE DOME AND LETTING EVERYONE WITHIN DIE THAT WAY. Oh wait, just finished watching, no it wasn't.

You can totally see white poo poo foam up to seal the hull breech. And all of macross is awesome, gently caress the haters. :colbert:

All of it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What about "Rick why do you have to fight the people who are shooting at you right now I don't understand?"

Cause that was awful.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Say what you want about Harmony Gold and the whole Unseen kerfluffle, if I had the American rights to Macross and had to choose which way to go with the sequels and the choices were:

A) Go with the weird semi-biological power source concept and bolt that onto two completely unrelated series.

or

B) Keep going with pure Macross sequels that focus on the magical power of music?

Well....I can't really fault them for choosing A.

B is just way too "What the Hell, Japan?" :japan:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The biological power source was something they made up specifically to bridge the three series.

Sair
May 11, 2007

jng2058 posted:

B is just too awesome to exist :japan:

I think we all know what you meant to say. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Empyreal has officially timed out. AtlantisMantis, you're up in the Gladiator!

Shadow Gamer, Guitar Hero, please stand by.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
That Gladbag-lite is a little beast in IS tech 1 play, AtlantisMantis. Have fun with it.

It's just a shame you don't have any jump jets. A custom Gladiator with JJs is very nice.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That Gladbag-lite is a little beast in IS tech 1 play, AtlantisMantis. Have fun with it.

It's just a shame you don't have any jump jets. A custom Gladiator with JJs is very nice.

The Gladiator does have jumpjets.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

KnoxZone posted:

Specifically, the 3R, 4R, and 5R all have them.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

KnoxZone posted:

Wait, what? I thought it was stock?

[e]Nevermind. I must have been smoking something.

Anyway, you have jump-jets, a PPC and an SRM-6. I think you can see where that's going, just don't get overly killhappy and get too close. Try to stay out of the enemy's good ranges as best you can and let them lunch on your PPC to open up some holes before you go in for the kill.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 7, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
While we're on the subject of things having stuff, the Ostroc does have hands.

Defiance Industries posted:

What about "Rick why do you have to fight the people who are shooting at you right now I don't understand?"

Cause that was awful.
That was the Robotech line, which was apparently dire. I have only seen Macross itself, which is full of what I posted previously.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

And apparently in some versions it has a serious case of "cold air nipple":

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Fil5000 posted:

The way that mech has its hands posed, it gives no fucks about its cold nips and wants to know if you want to start something over it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bad Moon posted:

The way that mech has its hands posed, it gives no fucks about its cold nips and wants to know if you want to start something over it.

It's either a "COME AT ME BRO" pose, or it's about to start interfering with itself.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

A man drives down the street in a 'mech like that, you know he ain't scared of nothing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

It's either a "COME AT ME BRO" pose, or it's about to start interfering with itself.

I see it as an exasperated "What the gently caress is going on with my nipples" stance :colbert:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It actually kind of looks like two long spears stabbed it in the nipples and that's its reaction pose. "What the gently caress?! Where did these huge metal tubes come from?"

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
You guys have an unhealthy obsession with what could be robot nipples. :catstare:

Why hasn't anyone drawn a six pack of Urbanmechs yet?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

That was the Robotech line, which was apparently dire. I have only seen Macross itself, which is full of what I posted previously.

When I watched Macross, I remember thinking that Minmei being totally retarded was one thing they got right.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair to her, the English voice actor did a pretty solid :downs: impression.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Fil5000 posted:

I see that more as an 'Overly dramatic imploring stance'.

Shylostroc posted:

"Hath not an Ostroc Hands? If you cut us, do we not take crits? If you wrong us, do we not alpha strike back?"

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a 'mech annihilated utterly? And I don't just mean ammosplosion, either: I mean it gets left with absolutely zero structure left in every single location.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a 'mech annihilated utterly? And I don't just mean ammosplosion, either: I mean it gets left with absolutely zero structure left in every single location.

Yes

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Yes

Why do I imagine that Urbanmech is holding a Wile E. Coyote sign that says "eep".

That, or "This is gonna suck."

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

KnoxZone posted:

Yes

There's very little that 35 Linebackers wouldn't be able to kill in a 35-on-1. A mech piloted by Gary Stu Hyper-Allard-Liao, maybe?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

There's very little that 35 Linebackers wouldn't be able to kill in a 35-on-1. A mech piloted by Gary Stu Hyper-Allard-Liao, maybe?

35 Linebackers couldn't take out Tim Tebow :colbert:

Or a really fast mech with an ER Large Laser or an ER PPC on a 1000x1000 map.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Maybe if the 35 Linebackers were all 8/8 pilots with every imaginable negative disadvantage and the Urbanmech was a 0/0 god of war with every imaginable advantage.

Actually, I'm gonna test that in MegaMech, on a large, but completely flat and benign terrain.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

:colbert:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Okay, I've set it up. 30x30 flat map, 35 Linebacker Ds piloted by 8/8 pilots, with every negative quirk in Megamek, both on the 'mech and on their weapons.

Their opponent is Mary Sue Steiner-Davion-Allard-Liao-Kurita-Marik, in an Urbanmech R80SL - it has a Chameleon LPS, 2 regular JJs, the efficient maximum of standard armor, a Heavy PPC and a Small VSPL. The 'Mech has every positive advantage, for weapons and the 'mech, the pilot has every imaginable advantage, every superior Manei Domini implant, and 100 edge. I've also cooked the rules of the game to favor the Urbie as much as possible.

If this doesn't work, we'll try it in an Urbanmech IIC.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

I see it as an exasperated "What the gently caress is going on with my nipples" stance :colbert:

The first thing that came to my mind was "Why can't I hold all these limes?" for some reason. :v:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 8, 2011

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've played with 8/8 pilot before. Those Linebackers are gonna fall on their faces the moment you try to make them move.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Okay, I've set it up. 30x30 flat map, 35 Linebacker Ds piloted by 8/8 pilots, with every negative quirk in Megamek, both on the 'mech and on their weapons.

Their opponent is Mary Sue Steiner-Davion-Allard-Liao-Kurita-Marik, in an Urbanmech R80SL - it has a Chameleon LPS, 2 regular JJs, the efficient maximum of standard armor, a Heavy PPC and a Small VSPL. The 'Mech has every positive advantage, for weapons and the 'mech, the pilot has every imaginable advantage, every superior Manei Domini implant, and 100 edge. I've also cooked the rules of the game to favor the Urbie as much as possible.

If this doesn't work, we'll try it in an Urbanmech IIC.

How badly is your Megamek scenario going to chug, calculating for just shy of three dozen bot controlled battlemechs. I recently ran a scenario where I was against 1 battlemech and around 24 mixed infantry/light combat vehicles. The result? Both cores on my computer's CPU (each with a f= 2.60 GHz) were peaked at 100% and I was using an extra half gigabyte of memory above normal.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

landcollector posted:

How badly is your Megamek scenario going to chug, calculating for just shy of three dozen bot controlled battlemechs. I recently ran a scenario where I was against 1 battlemech and around 24 mixed infantry/light combat vehicles. The result? Both cores on my computer's CPU (each with a f= 2.60 GHz) were peaked at 100% and I was using an extra half gigabyte of memory above normal.

Let's say my computer has significantly more power than yours. Still, it didn't so much chug as 'gently caress up' - the Urbie was listed as having no internal systems whatsoever, including guns. I realized this at the first shooting round, and shut it down. I'm gonna try to figure it out - I wonder if it's the ridiculous number of Edge or what.

[e]Sorry if that bit about my computer seemed condescending. It wasn't meant that way - my computer didn't chug at all. I suspect I could have played Dead Space 2 with the graphics all up while MM was grinding through its decisions. It did, however, take something like half an hour to arrive at that first shooting round. I think I can get that down with some AI settings. This isn't rocket science - move towards target, pull trigger. Even 8/8 pilots can figure that out.

[e2]It seems to be the Manei Domini implants that were making it go weird. Gonna try again without them. Might also try myself as the UrbieZilla's opponents.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Let's say my computer has significantly more power than yours. Still, it didn't so much chug as 'gently caress up' - the Urbie was listed as having no internal systems whatsoever, including guns. I realized this at the first shooting round, and shut it down. I'm gonna try to figure it out - I wonder if it's the ridiculous number of Edge or what.

[e]Sorry if that bit about my computer seemed condescending. It wasn't meant that way - my computer didn't chug at all. I suspect I could have played Dead Space 2 with the graphics all up while MM was grinding through its decisions. It did, however, take something like half an hour to arrive at that first shooting round. I think I can get that down with some AI settings. This isn't rocket science - move towards target, pull trigger. Even 8/8 pilots can figure that out.

No offense taken. My machine isn't meant for heavy duty gaming. I leave that task for my consoles.

• Locked thread