Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Linguica posted:

Nope, it's not. The developers were actually called "TNT Team" and I remember confusion about it back in the day.

Huh, somebody should probably correct this page then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

DoombatINC posted:

As though it'd be the first classic FPS whose name Hi-Rez has ruined.

:(
Strife is by S2 Games, though.

I suppose Hi-Rez did make a MOBA called Smite, which also sounds like an awesome name for a retro FPS...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Shadow Hog posted:

Strife is by S2 Games, though.

I suppose Hi-Rez did make a MOBA called Smite, which also sounds like an awesome name for a retro FPS...

Today I learned that Strife and Smite are distinct MOBAs, which is as we speak displacing some beautiful childhood memory that will be lost to me forever

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

Which, while not a legal thing, is pretty reasonable. If nothing else, it's a good way to bait out the people who *do* have the rights so you can start bugging them to release it legitimately.

Let's do this with Jazz Jackrabbit. There's no reason why that game shouldn't be on GOG.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Let's do this with Jazz Jackrabbit. There's no reason why that game shouldn't be on GOG.
Because if they do, the ghost of Gathering of Developers will haunt GOG's fedora-clad PR guy for months on end.

(Note: "ghost" may in this instance be defined as "one of the Devolver Digital guys wearing a sheet with eyeholes cut out, half a bottle of Jack Daniels, and little else".)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The classic Sonic games are already on Steam, aren't they? No need to bother with the also-rans.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The classic Sonic games are already on Steam, aren't they? No need to bother with the also-rans.

I will end you.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Strife is the one game I have absolutely no hope of seeing rereleased. Literally no-one seems to know who owns the rights, and if anyone did they would most likely have appeared when another game tried using exactly the same name.

:(

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

With Strife we at least have a perfectly running source port available. Don't see much benefit of re-release except perhaps a wider platform of interest.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

All sarcasm aside, what was so great about Jazz Jackrabbit?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8gvt-ubZiQ

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Ice cold.

That's one of my favorite game songs. Medivo and Letni are right up there, too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

• Cool module tracked soundtrack
  • Shareware episode is free
  • No need to own a console
  • There never was a Jazz 2006

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Strife is made by S2 games, the guys who abandoned the savage series for 2 crappy MOBAs. I think the Hi-Rez MOBA is called Smite.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Seeing Eradicator on Steam made me think if we'll ever see Cybermage re-released.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

Seeing Eradicator on Steam made me think if we'll ever see Cybermage re-released.
Cybermage was an Origin joint, so if ever does resurface, it sure won't be on Steam.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Segmentation Fault posted:

Forget Jazz Jackrabbit, if there's any old Epic MegaGames that needs a digital release it's the full Dare to Dream series. Even when the Epic Classics site was still running, what they'd actually sell you was a disk of of the first volume with no way to buy the rest!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ooh, Eradicator was pretty neat. I got it when I picked up Dark Forces at a thrift store and an Eradicator disc was shoved into the case as well. Of course, for ease of use I just grabbed that pre-setup version that used to be in the OP, but ah well. It's got some interesting ideas, and uses a Build-like engine. There are multiple characters and each one has a different starting level.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Solid run-and-gun platformer with interesting weapons, gimmicks and enemies, stellar graphics (although I prefer the cartoonier aesthetic of JJ2), and an awesome music module soundtrack by Alexander Brandon (Tyrian, Unreal/Unreal Tournament, Deus Ex/Deus Ex: Invisible War)? Pretty much all you really need.

Kind of a shame JJ3 didn't come out. Turning Jazz Jackrabbit into a cutesy third-person shooter actually kinda worked really well! The leaked beta's pretty fun, if really unpolished, but woefully short. Even more of a shame that Epic is so utterly disinterested in acknowledging the series even exists these days, more interested in making engines than games, and when they do make games, they're games with military slabs of meat shooting chainsaw guns at alien slabs of meat in grimy wartorn cities. I'd take Rambo bunnies shooting laser pellets at turtles over that in a heartbeat. (Although we're getting Unreal Tournament 4, so I guess it's not all bad?)

Cat Mattress posted:

This, by the way, is really the most important reason.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

JJ1 was probably the only good DOS platformer, which played close to console releases, looked/sounded really good and was overall surprisingly solid, or at least better than atrocities like Skunny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6AP3TyzpxI

Also, just noticed, NAM was released on Steam, but World War II GI was not?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Well, Epic acknowledges that Jazz Jackrabbit exists, since their UE3 for IOS tutorial involves making a top down Jazz game.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

laserghost posted:

JJ1 was probably the only good DOS platformer

Jill of the Jungle. :colbert: Entirely different kind of platformer though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does Abuse count?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mak0rz posted:

Does Abuse count?

Man, if ever a game demanded a patched up Steam release. The biggest problem I had with Abuse was that ran like a dead dog on systems of the era.

Now I'm depressed that I can't play Abuse in 60fps HD widescreen :(

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can, if you're a Linux user. The sourcecode and data files were released, but no one bothered to port it to Windows.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Elliotw2 posted:

You can, if you're a Linux user. The sourcecode and data files were released, but no one bothered to port it to Windows.

Abuse is on Wii Homebrew, as well. The controller combination works rather well.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Cat Mattress posted:

There was Jazz 2002 though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What Doom megaWAD do people recommend for a DoomRL Arsenal + DoomRPG run? I've heard good things about Alien Vendetta, Scythe, and Ultimate Torment & Torture, but haven't played any of them.

E: never mind, DoomRPG is kind of hosed up somehow, the DoomRL compatibility options aren't showing up and it won't let me select any weapon except the chainsaw and pistol

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 8, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They also lost the source code for Strife years ago and all the RPG elements in ZDoom are reverse engineered and hacked in.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

It's ridiculous. The entire game is public domain for Christ's sake.

Also the last time I played the Linux version it didn't have music or sound and gently caress that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

E: phone

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How do you use the Technician's Scavenger ability in DoomRL Arsenal? The OP says that you can break down Exotic and Assembled equipment for mods, but I can't figure out how to actually do this and there's nothing in the keybinds for it either.

E: ok, for weapons it's equip the weapon, then <drla_drop_weapon><alt_fire>. How do you disassemble armour? Or can you?

E2: Holy poo poo, this has quite some balance implications. For example, the shop sells standard modpacks for $5000. But for $550 you can get the shittiest Exotic in the game, the Blaster, and then disassemble it into a random standard modpack! So if you're playing a Technician you get modpacks at a 90% discount right from the start of the game, and once your discount goes above 10% it's actually profitable to buy Blasters, disassemble them into random modpacks, and then sell the modpacks.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 8, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looks like a lot of stuff is getting polished up and rolled out for the Cacowards. Going Down was finalized and put up on the Doomworld archive just the other day, and Adventures of Square v1.0 was released this morning, now with native openGL support.

Word is that The Golden Souls is just wrapping up, adding a bunch of new side-levels (and a few contributor made ones, too) - it should be out in time for the Cacowards, too.

Not been too bad a year for Doom, huh? Quality over quantity so far.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 8, 2014

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

ToxicFrog posted:

What Doom megaWAD do people recommend for a DoomRL Arsenal + DoomRPG run? I've heard good things about Alien Vendetta, Scythe, and Ultimate Torment & Torture, but haven't played any of them.

E: never mind, DoomRPG is kind of hosed up somehow, the DoomRL compatibility options aren't showing up and it won't let me select any weapon except the chainsaw and pistol

I'm nearly finished my Hellbound playthrough with DoomRPG+DoomRL. Gonna export my character from there and bring it in to Alien Vendetta or Memento Mori. Although a lot of the E*M* callbacks in Hellbound is making me want to play this character through doom2.wad.

EDIT: While there's another DoomRPG+DoomRL player in the thread, how the hell do you remove nanofiber skin armor?

Also, are you using shields and augs at all? I have a whole bunch of random parts but I've never bothered with either of those systems.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 8, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you export/import characters make sure you remember to set enemy scaling to player level instead of including the map number, or else you'll be even more horribly overpowered

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Dominic White posted:

Going Down was finalized and put up on the Doomworld archive just the other day

Everyone should play this!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

horse mans posted:

EDIT: While there's another DoomRPG+DoomRL player in the thread, how the hell do you remove nanofiber skin armor?

You don't. Its gimmick is that it's indestructible and gives pretty solid protection but you can never remove it.

Also, no one should use RL+RPG with any expectation of balance. You inevitably become an invulnerable juggernaut unless the WAD is split into episodes.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I think you can improve scaling significantly if you never put points on Luck. Otherwise you start swimming in drops, and those drops can include stat upgrades

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

horse mans posted:

Dying is the best way, I think.

On Shields and Augs, I've never bothered to use them, since I'm overpowered and hard enough to kill without regenerating armor or whatever else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Dominic White posted:

Going Down was finalized and put up on the Doomworld archive just the other day

They should just use Going Down for the Freedoom Phase 2 maps and call it a day (especially since it appears to mostly use stock textures).

The Going Down author gets more publicity, and Freedoom focus can shift towards making the textures and sprites prettier. And maybe working on Phase 1 a little bit more.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 8, 2014