Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Stupid Tie-in novel's/audio dramas/OVAs for RPGs is a long standing Japanese tradition and they're always awful in the most amazing ways.

Not just for RPGs. Japanese tie-in novels for everything are awful.

Want to hear about the Kamen Rider Faiz novel that has the lead female of the series get violently raped?

You know, a novel for kids! :argh:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The best FFX tie in thing was the audio thing that went on for like a hour that was in the vita version. I listened to all of it and was just clutching my head at how unbelievably terrible literally EVERYTHING about it was. I sat through all of it unable to stop because it just continued to get worse and worse

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Truly, originality is no substitute for quality.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Tae posted:

'Most of tidus hate is because he has a higher pitched voice.
I feel that Tidus' scenes would be greatly improved if they had used Cam Clarke's 'whiny dork' voice for him.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

I feel that Tidus' scenes would be greatly improved if they had used Cam Clarke's 'whiny dork' voice for him.

Same but Liquid Snake

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Tidus definitely comes off as kind of whiny and grating initially, though he does get better. He's actually got a pretty decent character arc once the game gets going for real. The dialogue isn't FFX's strong suit but his somehow manages to usually be the least terrible, I feel.

My main issue with him is his stupid loving outfit. I don't even mind Nomura's dumb asymmetrical clothing designs most of the time, but those loving pants, good god.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Okay, so the next Scrublords is something else.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
Yep. About time we finally gave some love the greatest and most influential fighting franchise of all time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

Yep. About time we finally gave some love the greatest and most influential fighting franchise of all time.

VIEWTIFUL JOE RED HOT RUMBLE?!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

You totally missed the R Zone version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8ni4QGatE

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hey Matt just wanna say, there actually is a hidden affection mechanic in FFX that changes a few really minor flavor things like an overdrive animation and tiny cutscene changes. Apparently, Lulu is the character with the most possible affection points possible.
(I guess there are some spoilers on that page about stuff that happens later, nothing major though)

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 10, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

pandaK posted:

Hey Matt just wanna say, there actually is a hidden affection mechanic in FFX that changes a few really minor flavor things like an overdrive animation and tiny cutscene changes. Apparently, Lulu is the character with the most possible affection points possible.

This is insane

my assumption that tidus just talks to rikku A LOT is in jeopardy

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

pandaK posted:

WHAT THE gently caress HOW DID I NEVER KNOW ABOUT THIS

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
what the fuuuuuck

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

pandaK posted:

That's neat, I always had lulu on the snowmobile.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've played FFX like five times and I've never ever picked up on this

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

That kind of reminds me of that secret system in FF7 that would determine who you went on a date with at the Golden Saucer.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rhonne posted:

That kind of reminds me of that secret system in FF7 that would determine who you went on a date with at the Golden Saucer.

That isn't a secret.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

That isn't a secret.

It kind of was. It wasn't surfaced in any mechanics and you didn't know until it happened that it was even a thing unless you had a strategy guide. It's not like you got little chimes every time you gained points or something to track on a menu.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I just hope I can still luck into a date with Barret in the Remake.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

I just hope I can still luck into a date with Barret in the Remake.

shame on you if you're not rigging that poo poo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The only other game with a system like that I can think of Tales of Symphonia

hell given how much of ToS is apparently the director hating FFX's plot maybe it's intentionally a reference!

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
THAT'S AWESOME
Time to push Lulu and bury Yuna. Will definitely mention this the next time we record. But that will unfortunately not be until like, part 17 or something.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ruggington posted:

This is insane

my assumption that tidus just talks to rikku A LOT is in jeopardy

I would believe Tidus is the kinda guy who's making out with Yuna but thinking about Rikku.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheRealestMatt posted:

THAT'S AWESOME
Time to push Lulu and bury Yuna.
:getin:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The whole affection system in FFX is so minor that it might as well be nonexistent. 99% of people get Lulu for the snowmobile scene because of how the system plays out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Here's all the snowmobile conversations, if you're interested.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So this horror crossover movie just got announced.

TheRealestMatt posted:

THAT'S AWESOME
Time to push Lulu and bury Yuna. Will definitely mention this the next time we record. But that will unfortunately not be until like, part 17 or something.
I hope Woolie doesn't forget stuff between recordings, given that so many games came out these last three months that you had to space 'em out some more.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

HGH posted:

So this horror crossover movie just got announced.

I hope Woolie doesn't forget stuff between recordings, given that so many games came out these last three months that you had to space 'em out some more.

I think he just meant the next time they do another game recording session?

Also don't pull another Undertale and grind for 10,000 gil for that one ring at that one donation thing, it's relatively worthless.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
woolie plays dota

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't know what could tank the channel more than Ultra Despair Girls, but that might just be it

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is that a statement, an announcement, or a new section in the podcast next to FF14?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the sbf self flagellating has always been the best part of the channel

i just realized there was no xenoblade chat last podcast. pat, the resident xenogears fan, is blood bound to talk about it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Liam is the only buying that game because Pat heard the story was bad

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I heard they took out references to earlier games too?
Also Pat's too busy with Yakuza 5. As he should be.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Baal posted:

Liam is the only buying that game because Pat heard the story was bad

its really good other than a weak story

my character has a giant xenogears x on their face and that's all i ever wanted

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like it a lot too, but Pat cannot think of playing a game that long without a decent story behind it apparently.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Baal posted:

I like it a lot too, but Pat cannot think of playing a game that long without a decent story behind it apparently.

Which is really weird considering his "I want a single-player MMO" -thing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
your new av is super distracting baal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sir, my post is to the right. Please don't be such a pervert.