Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

For whatever reason, probably bad net code, hit reg also feels better on foreign servers. It's probably due to how the lag compensation is done. It's also a drat shame because when I met PU and asked him about the lag, as it had been a problem in Arma 3 he mentioned region locking would be a thing, so long as they had a large enough population. Anyway, if you want to have only ranked, they should probably have region locking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

daslog posted:

This game needs region lock badly. There is Zero reason for the Chinese to be on the American server.

why does it matter to you

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

underage at the vape shop posted:

why does it matter to you

A few reasons:

1) It sucks when you join a squad that doesn't speak English
2) Chinese hackers are everywhere.
3) When players have the same ping, it's a more even match.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
dont play random squads (join the discord), more than just the chinese hack, ping doesnt matter much in this game

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Yesterday my friends computer kept restarting while playing PUBG and he couldn't figure out what was wrong and sounded slightly angry and the game. Asked him to check the CPU temps and within a minute of him loading in to a game they are reading around 90 C (194 F) :supaburn: Told him to open the case and look how dusty the CPU metal heat sink was and clean it if it was bad. He calls me up all confused about the supposed metal part which should be located below the fan (stock intel cooler). Turns out he couldn't see the heat sink as it was just a big ball of dust. His temps are now in the manageable upper 60's.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dont play random squads (join the discord), more than just the chinese hack, ping doesnt matter much in this game

nah, region lock would be good

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
seeing as the asia server is so bad, banning the chinese is just gunna make your games instantly harder

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

daslog posted:

A few reasons:

1) It sucks when you join a squad that doesn't speak English
2) Chinese hackers are everywhere.
3) When players have the same ping, it's a more even match.

anyone else hear a faint whistling?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Finally won my first solo queued Squad game. It took a lot of ratty play but fog really is the great equalizer when you're outnumbered

Managed to knock out several members of the last three squads, creating total confusion until it was an easy 1v2 left

I've been doing solo vs. squad games lately and they are great fun. I figure if I get any kills at all, it's a win in my book. How'd you manage to play an entire game with only 4 kills? Did you spend most of the match hiding? I imagine that's the only way to really pull this off. Last night I had my best game at this with 8 kills and a 6th place finish but I was playing like a madman and also go pretty darn lucky, up until I got turbofucked by the last few circles putting me on a far corner of mil base after a school start. I ended up having to swim across and got omaha'd on the beach by a guy who took ~20 SKS shots to hit me once. At one point I was fighting a squad of 3 when a UAZ drove right past me on the opposite side. I dropped 2 out of the UAZ then turned back around to finish the last 2 guys in the 3-squad on the other side, feelin like Rambo :getin:.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Stuntman posted:

anyone else hear a faint whistling?

you heard it here folks, wanting to play with people with the same ping as you is racist

I watched shroud play with some dude from the middle East, and he was laggy as hell

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Incidentally, if the reason y'all can't drive in first person is anything other than motion sickness you're not mad maxing enough and you need to get loving good.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Black Griffon posted:

Incidentally, if the reason y'all can't drive in first person is anything other than motion sickness you're not mad maxing enough and you need to get loving good.
look at this un-ironic 'get good'

point and laugh so he understands his shame

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Anyone get the bug where you close a door and enemy's just run through it like it doesn't exsit?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Seen it a few times, yeah. Not much for us players to do about it afaik

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

I could be wrong, but Ping seems to have a large impact on the game. Getting shot by person around a corner that you can't see I assumed to be caused by differences in ping.

Edit: Do other players hack? Sure. But look at the leaderboard. It's dominated by Asian players with ridiculous stats. The entire first page is hackers from China.

https://pubg.me/players/rating

daslog fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 4, 2017

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Bhodi posted:

look at this un-ironic 'get good'

point and laugh so he understands his shame

I'm sorry you press F to change gears every time you pick a buggy over a UAZ/Dacia.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Parallel Playa posted:

Seen it a few times, yeah. Not much for us players to do about it afaik

I killed the two that used the magic door, and while the other two decided what to do, I opened and closed the door which seemed to fix it.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Here's the current NA Solo leaderboard...

Move on, nothing to see here

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTvNyj7vTd8

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

willroc7 posted:

I've been doing solo vs. squad games lately and they are great fun. I figure if I get any kills at all, it's a win in my book. How'd you manage to play an entire game with only 4 kills? Did you spend most of the match hiding?

Yeah, I usually play these solo squad games to spread as much misery as possible, which means going for as many fights and finishes as I can. I didn't hide, but this game I dived straight down to mylta thinking I'd get a nice early fight, but ended up entirety alone for the first 15 minutes, not hearing or seeing a single player due to the fog. To make matters worse, the circle ended up back in mylta, but by the time I finally found a squad after going back, there were few enough people left that I started entertaining the idea of winning, so I spent a couple of circles shadowing that squad instead and letting them take fights for me until i finally shot their lone survivor in the back and took over his position

generally i didn't interfere in the final fights until the last possible moment as i wanted them to decimate each others first. I've had a few #2 games where i ended up in a 1v3 or 1v4, so I guess I ended up playing this one very, very safe

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Solo vs. squads also known as playing goonsquads in discord.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I can get why chinese players would play on the US servers, having that insane of a ping really gives them a huge peekers advantage. I notice that the games where I forget to switch from the AS servers, I can run around with a double barrel and shoot people before they even realize I am there. Its pretty broken. Of course, if I get pushed, I die instantly because they have already shot me five times before they register on my screen.

I think a region lock would be ok, I know in conangame, they would lock your movement if you go above 300ms.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
so wait solo players have to go up against team players?

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Snazzy Frocks posted:

so wait solo players have to go up against team players?

They don't have to, but you can solo queue in squads and turn off auto matchmaking. Some people prefer it over just regular solos, presumably because groups of 4 move more predictably than a bunch of individuals. Either that, or just schadenfreude through ruining a squad's game by getting a couple of pickoffs.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

has there ever been mention of a plan to move to server side hit detection?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Do you mean like, the bloodspray effects? I presume there is already server-side hit detection that it uses to determine whether you live or not, and only the blood splatter is clientside. That seems smart to me mostly because, in the common case of no hiccups, you really want to know someone was hit ASAP and not have to wait a tick for the server to tell you.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I've never played a shooter with serverside hit detection and client side hit indicators. They should both be server side.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Yea I mean like, the server is the one deciding if someone was hit (and took damage) as opposed to some guy with lovely pc/internet

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm not sure I really see an advantage to doing the bloodspray on the server. Having the information be available sooner seems strictly better even if there's a chance that it's in error. It's like websites that verify your username that you typed isn't already taken on the server, because that hits the database, but still doing nice-to-haves on the client like whether you included disallowed characters.

I have no clue how pubg actually works though, that's just what it feels like to me, someone who knows better can be smarter about it.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Yesterday my friends computer kept restarting while playing PUBG and he couldn't figure out what was wrong and sounded slightly angry and the game. Asked him to check the CPU temps and within a minute of him loading in to a game they are reading around 90 C (194 F) :supaburn: Told him to open the case and look how dusty the CPU metal heat sink was and clean it if it was bad. He calls me up all confused about the supposed metal part which should be located below the fan (stock intel cooler). Turns out he couldn't see the heat sink as it was just a big ball of dust. His temps are now in the manageable upper 60's.

Jesus Christ. Do you have a picture of that? Tell me he sent you a picture.

I suppose I should try to be more social on the discord and actually play with goons. I'm probably a "middling" player but I can't get kills in first person. I generally prefer TPP at this point just because the movement and everything works better when you can actually see your model. It feels awful in first person.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I was under the impression the client side hit detection (or however it is currently implemented) was actually one of those, "lol wow really" sort of things as opposed to, "that's normal."

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

dc3k posted:

I've never played a shooter with serverside hit detection and client side hit indicators. They should both be server side.

tons of games do this. you're literally just talking about 'i totally hit that guy but nothing happened', it's happened in online shooters for like over a decade. poo poo, csgo did it until recently.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I like FPP. It feels like I'm actually running around. Stuff like CS:GO to me feels like just gliding very quickly over any surface.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm not sure I really see an advantage to doing the bloodspray on the server. Having the information be available sooner seems strictly better even if there's a chance that it's in error.

I feel like it's the other way. I'd rather have a delay on the blood spray than get a bunch of false positives and think a guy has 3hp when he actually has 90 because only one of my shots hit. In most cases the hit indicator delay is only as long as your ping (at least in every other UE game I've played, like you said PUBG could be doing things differently), so if you're not lagging, it'll seem instant, and if you are, you'll be aware of your lag rather than having it masked by the blood spray and wonder why the gently caress you can't down the guy that the game told you you hit.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

tons of games do this. you're literally just talking about 'i totally hit that guy but nothing happened', it's happened in online shooters for like over a decade. poo poo, csgo did it until recently.
I'm talking strictly about the hit indicators though. No clue how CS works, but I've played thousands and thousands of hours of UT2003, UT2004, UT3, UT4, Quake Live, Quake Champions, and yeah there have been a massive amount of "I hit that guy and nothing happened", but 0 of those instances did the hitsound play. The hitsound plays if the server confirms the shot hit. If the server doesn't think the shot hit, even if the client shows the bullet hitting a guy, the hitsound wouldn't play.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The game definitely favors the person with the worse connection, which is why lag switches are a thing some cheaters use so they can freeze you in place and kill you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks to this thread's advice I'm doing a lot better. I've stopped using 4xes under 75-100m, and I'm landing a lot more hits. I still am using wrist aim, though. That's going to be a tough habit to break.

Right now my biggest problems seem to be looting efficiently (I keep cancelling my pickups by trying to pick up something else too fast) and positioning. I struggle to figure out the best place to be in a circle when it's out in hills / woods. And then as another side to that, near the end of thae game I have a hard time anticipating which side will be hotter. I end up getting shot from behind or running out into someone's field of view when I expect everyone to be on the other side of the cover I'm moving for.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Having an advantage with worse ping makes no sense to me. Now, if it's a matter of hit registering that's different. But saying you see the enemy first when you have a worse ping is breaking my brain. Can someone that actually knows explain, and not someone that is making poo poo up or just read a post on reddit about it?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

cosmicjim posted:

Having an advantage with worse ping makes no sense to me. Now, if it's a matter of hit registering that's different. But saying you see the enemy first when you have a worse ping is breaking my brain. Can someone that actually knows explain, and not someone that is making poo poo up or just read a post on reddit about it?

No one here is a net code or whatever programmer and the net code isn't public anyway, so you're only going to hear about what people feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

We did it, guys, we're esports!

http://en.intelextrememasters.com/n...g-invitational/

http://en.intelextrememasters.com/season-12/oakland/pubg/

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 4, 2017

• Locked thread