Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

I guess the number of hidden symbols got cut off. I count 10.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Cassandra refuses to let the Pluggers kangaroo get all the attention.

Flash Gordon

FoxTrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

Cassandra refuses to let the Pluggers kangaroo get all the attention.
That frog rules.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

[buries my face in my hands] god I am not looking forward to revisiting January 2021 even if I did experience those strips in real time and can't remember them.

Miranda you gotta sever from your dads. You have to.

Don't Make Biscuits On Me

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (November 28, 1976)

Crankshaft

Li'l Abner (March 14-16, 1935)

Thimble Theater (June 30, 1940)

Popeye

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They’ve shown that table of stuff a few times now—are we supposed to recognize those things? The mask kind of looks like the cloaked henchman’s gold mask from the 1980 Flash Gordon movie.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Still no idea what the plan is supposed to be and why the piglet is so important, but knowing this comic it's something pretty nonsensical, but ends up working anyway.

Nancy

Dustin

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Guys I have romantic inclinations towards the Roo plugger

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Kennel posted:

Still no idea what the plan is supposed to be and why the piglet is so important, but knowing this comic it's something pretty nonsensical, but ends up working anyway.

:allears: I've lost track as well but since it's Into I just trust that it's really important he save this pig and I'm having a good time watching him go to so much trouble.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (June 30, 1940)

Popeye

These are extra hilarious side by side, going from the good antics of Popeye taking a literal straight line to his destination as a walking wrecking ball to Randy loving up a pure action strip with the same gusto. There's so many art errors between panels 5 and 6 that I'd swear he asked Jules to help him.

The Thimble Theater is a great reminder that Popeye is as much of a stubborn jackass as Pappy is, which is probably why Popeye almost immediately forgave him for the abandonment. :v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Selachian posted:

I should note that the current Pluggers artist, Rick McKee, is also a political cartoonist, and pretty hard right. At least he doesn't let it leak into his Pluggers work.

i mean, it doesn't really need to; the entire concept of Pluggers from its inception is dogwhistle central (seriously, that archived website is hilariously bad)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

someone awful. posted:

i mean, it doesn't really need to; the entire concept of Pluggers from its inception is dogwhistle central (seriously, that archived website is hilariously bad)

What dogwhistles are you hearing? It's mostly grumbles about how the characters are old, overweight, or underpaid, which I find hard to translate directly to translate into calls for a race war.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Yeah it’s boomer stuff but not like, that kinda boomer stuff.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i don't think pluggers itself is actively harmful, but it's definitely interested in propping up the kind of anti-"elitism", white conservative americana normatism, joe the plumber type boomer poo poo that enables a bunch of other really bad stuff and it's kinda uncomfortable

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

someone awful. posted:

i don't think pluggers itself is actively harmful, but it's definitely interested in propping up the kind of anti-"elitism", white conservative americana normatism, joe the plumber type boomer poo poo that enables a bunch of other really bad stuff and it's kinda uncomfortable

?
It’s jokes about getting old. 20 years ago I didn’t find it funny and now I hate that I’m actively in half of the punch lines.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

someone awful. posted:

Conservative thought certainly preys on the perceived normality of the not-quite-middle-class white majority, but that's very different from thinking any depiction of (plausibly) white old men complaining about getting old and work sucking is "enabling" "bad stuff."

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 26, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

emSparkly posted:

Yeah it’s boomer stuff but not like, that kinda boomer stuff.

for that kind, see Dustin.

The Pluggers would see Dustin is trying, and think he's got salt.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

?
It’s jokes about getting old. 20 years ago I didn’t find it funny and now I hate that I’m actively in half of the punch lines.

Everyone seems to be going through a phase lately where we all work as hard as we can to avoid enjoying things and making sure other people avoid it as well.

Everything is problematic when you put the work into figuring out why and goons are rolling up their sleeves...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Weembles posted:

Everyone seems to be going through a phase lately where we all work as hard as we can to avoid enjoying things and making sure other people avoid it as well.

this is also part of getting old

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I was initially deterred from posting vintage Pluggers, because only the thumbnails exist on archive.org and are almost illegible:

Then I found a random neural image upscaler site, and ran it through:

If I can figure out a workflow that doesn't completely suck, I might just start posting these too.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
be sure to check out the "Poetry" page.

it is kind of interesting seeing ones early on that present knowledge of computers, then ones with reader attributions that are vehemently anti-computer. A war between a bunch of non-pluggers going "is this anything?" about hiding computer purchases from their wives and then pluggers writing in to say "pluggers don't do Windows!"

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

LvK posted:

be sure to check out the "Poetry" page.

it is kind of interesting seeing ones early on that present knowledge of computers, then ones with reader attributions that are vehemently anti-computer. A war between a bunch of non-pluggers going "is this anything?" about hiding computer purchases from their wives and then pluggers writing in to say "pluggers don't do Windows!"

Pluggers don’t do Windows. They learned a bit of BASIC for the Apple II at school for a bit and that’s all they remember.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pluggers only do Linux.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hwurmp posted:

this is also part of getting old

You'd think so, but I've been told that's a young folks game nowadays, too.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Candy for everyone you say?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This is going to end with the manager and conman in prison and Fergus back to only making music isn't it?
What is going on with Rene's shirt and beard though?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

manero posted:

I was initially deterred from posting vintage Pluggers, because only the thumbnails exist on archive.org and are almost illegible:

If I can figure out a workflow that doesn't completely suck, I might just start posting these too.
Wow, that's actually some pretty dynamic art, let alone by the modern strip's standards.

The joke doesn't make much sense, though, since real pluggers would be slamming McDonald's into their face.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

manero posted:

Wow, I can't believe you'd post this horrible dogwhistle. May as well be posting Mein Kampf in its entirety!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i guess i forgot stuff can't be contributing to an othering atmosphere without literally endorsing naziism, my bad i guess

idk i absolutely do not read working-class solidarity off pluggers, i'd like it a lot more if that was the feel i got from it

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Wow, I can't believe you'd post this horrible dogwhistle. May as well be posting Mein Kampf in its entirety!

Modern Pluggers definitely has some weird dogwhistles. Masking, hyphenated last names, and gender-neutral bathrooms. I have a feeling Classic Pluggers is less of that, but don't hold me to it.

McKee's other editorial cartoons definitely have some hot takes so it leaking into Pluggers doesn't surprise me.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I really do not understand what is going on in these Sunday Phantoms. Is he trying to undo the stupid mystery man/unknown commander horseshit he’s cultivated in the Jungle Cops? Whichever phantom started that tradition must have been drunk.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

manero posted:

Modern Pluggers definitely has some weird dogwhistles. Masking, hyphenated last names, and gender-neutral bathrooms. I have a feeling Classic Pluggers is less of that, but don't hold me to it.

McKee's other editorial cartoons definitely have some hot takes so it leaking into Pluggers doesn't surprise me.

You might need a large sampling for them to show up, and to be keyed in to the culture wars of 30 (?) years ago.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think todays actively hateful groups are pretty open and proud about it and don't need to hide behind layers of meaning in the "fat blue collar cat/bear man has the same back aches and physical labor job as you/your dad" comic for elderly people and those working up to becoming elderly people. :v:

Edit: That WAR below me, wow-ee another entry for ejection into the sun.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 26, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

When translating this, I just couldn’t conceive of the possibility that the guy might actually be speaking literally and “joking” about his (presumably) friend’s husband/boyfriend “solving all his problems” by inducing a miscarriage, and assumed “a kick in the stomach” had to be some kind of idiom for something, but checked with some native speakers, and nope, he’s being entirely literal, just an incredible rear end in a top hat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Darthemed posted:

Wow, that's actually some pretty dynamic art, let alone by the modern strip's standards.

Macnelly ranked among the top cartoon artists when he was around.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mr. Squishy posted:

You might need a large sampling for them to show up, and to be keyed in to the culture wars of 30 (?) years ago.
As someone who lives in the midwest, being aware of this specific flavor of conservative boomer rear end in a top hat also helps. These people generally are still doing the "I'm an average joe, I work hard and don't complain" dogwhistles that are the core concept of what a plugger even is.

The archived pluggers site that got linked literally has whining about kids these days and their nose rings:

quote:

Today, Pluggers continues to run in a growing list of newspapers, ranging from the Chicago Tribune and Boston Globe, to the Daily Quill in West Plains, Missouri. More than ever, the ideas for the cartoon come from real-life pluggers, via the post office and e-mail. And through these ideas, the definition of what it means to be a plugger in the modern world continues to evolve and grow.

Is it too much of an exaggeration to say that a new American philosophy-pluggerism-is taking shape? That a new respect for the Pluggerhood of Man is growing, from sea to shining sea? That readers of comic pages everywhere are suddenly rising up to say: what about me? What about my life? What about those of us who actually do our jobs, without whining; who work long hours keeping home and hearth together; who've survived downsizing, Pieces rising, proselytizing and kids with nose rings? Shouldn't our voice be heard also?

I've seen irl people who'd fit right into pluggers. You don't actually want to hang out around those people unless you're also a smug old miserable piece of poo poo.