Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Didn't buy photos this time because they were very boring, but I had a good time.

I never buy the pictures because I always look lame as hell. I've gotten them for free twice, though. The photographer at the Aprilia event did a pretty good job, I think.

Incredible form, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Toe Rag posted:

I never buy the pictures because I always look lame as hell. I've gotten them for free twice, though. The photographer at the Aprilia event did a pretty good job, I think.

Incredible form, I know.

The free Aprilia photos were nice, but I still looked like a dweeb. Where do I have to search to find their 2022 schedule?

I still want an RS660 but I have anecdotally heard of more engine failures. I assume they were in the recall group, but who knows.

Edit:

And bad angles

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 7, 2021

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Here's sunrise at Shiprock a few days ago.

It was pretty cold, I almost stranded myself but the engine caught at the last crank left in the battery.

Not going to try bike camping in December again :shobon:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The motorcycle withdrawal / Seasonal Affective Disorder has been really getting to me so I was thrilled to squeeze in a ride today.

The only guy I got to wave at was some dude on a 90s twin-round-lamp sportbike wearing a high-viz jacket and no helmet.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Probably the last ride of the season for me. Unseasonably warm 62° in PA today.

I wanted to ride the DR350 but the battery was dead. It’s an unknown amount of years old and decided to kick the bucket today. Lovely.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Do you keep it on a battery tender?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I wanted to ride the DR350 but the battery was dead. It’s an unknown amount of years old and decided to kick the bucket today. Lovely.

Do you have the factory street legal version? Mine didn’t even have a battery, it was great.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I got out for an extended lunchtime rip today too thanks to the same weather here in SE PA.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Steakandchips posted:

Do you keep it on a battery tender?

Yeah it’s on a tender all the time. Turns out I had a loose connection. I wiggled it after work and it fired right up.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Do you have the factory street legal version? Mine didn’t even have a battery, it was great.

I have a ‘97 DR350SE so it’s got everything but a kick starter. My right hip can’t do kick starters anymore anyway so no big loss for me.

I’ve actually owned this exact bike twice. Sold it to a friend and regretted it for the year and a half he owned it, so I bought it back at the first opportunity. Never leaving again!

opengl128 posted:

I got out for an extended lunchtime rip today too thanks to the same weather here in SE PA.

Where in PA? I’m sort of Eastern Central for lack of a better description.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 17, 2021

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Where in PA? I’m sort of Eastern Central for lack of a better description.

Bucks/Montco

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

opengl128 posted:

Bucks/Montco

Join Montco Riders group on MeetUp, it's run by my good friend Alan. Very well organized and managed destination rides. I come up from Philly when they meet on Sundays

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah it’s on a tender all the time. Turns out I had a loose connection. I wiggled it after work and it fired right up.
Lol, happens to the best of us me, too. A few years ago I did some work on my bike and it wouldn't start after work. Played the "what did I gently caress with last" game and fixed it in the parking lot by tightening down the terminal. :doh:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fifty Three posted:

Lol, happens to the best of us me, too. A few years ago I did some work on my bike and it wouldn't start after work. Played the "what did I gently caress with last" game and fixed it in the parking lot by tightening down the terminal. :doh:

So now I’ve got an extra new AGM sitting here…

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Productive morning here as well.

Washed the bike, the car, the patio, front steps.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I should wash my bike at some point. Although if I go do that, I'll be compelled to clean the chain, and will probably need to go buy more chain cleaner.

Fantastic riding weather lately:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beautiful.

Re chain cleaning, just spray the exposed part of the chain after every ride with a short blast of chain lube.

This goes a long way to maintaining your chain.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I really should just start making a habit of doing that. Somewhere early on, I got the idea in my head that chains need to be completely cleaned and oiled constantly, especially since it was a maintenance task my dumb rear end could manage. Since I live in a low humidity place and don't have to deal with salt or sand though, making sure it doesn't dry out is probably the biggest issue.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Chain cleaning is a racket, just keep it oiled unless it's seriously clogged with grit and it'll be fine. The main point of lube is to prevent rust, and if you stay on top of that a modern sealed chain isn't really going to care about having dirty links.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I should wash my bike at some point. Although if I go do that, I'll be compelled to clean the chain, and will probably need to go buy more chain cleaner.

Fantastic riding weather lately:

Noice

Since we’re 3 months past handgourd season, can we get a new thread title Jim? I suggest “Show your bike:I should probably wash my bike at some point.”

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
IMO it's good to stick your bike on a pit stand and lube the whole chain from time to time as it gives you a chance to spot any stuck links etc.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

took it out for a spin on some highly illegal trails in 23° weather today. had to see if my stator would handle a heated seat, grips, face shield, glove liners, and jacket lol

it did just fine :D

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That’s a good and aggressive looking motorcycle.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
They all good bikes, Brent

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i hate seeing his 1290 because it makes me want one bad but no garage space ;_;

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
park it in the livingroom.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

tyty LC8s are the best

Razzled posted:

i hate seeing his 1290 because it makes me want one bad but no garage space ;_;

Lol the first year and a half of its life was spent outside in the rain in portland (under a cover). it’s worth it :D

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

cursedshitbox posted:

park it in the livingroom.

What I, and by extension my neighbors, discovered last year it is more difficult than it seems to get a bike through a front door even under power because a standard size front door isn't wide enough for the handlebars.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

right arm posted:

took it out for a spin on some highly illegal trails in 23° weather today. had to see if my stator would handle a heated seat, grips, face shield, glove liners, and jacket lol

it did just fine :D

I will never not like how this looks. drat.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gorson posted:

What I, and by extension my neighbors, discovered last year it is more difficult than it seems to get a bike through a front door even under power because a standard size front door isn't wide enough for the handlebars.

Wheelie and turn your bars sideways.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

Lol I remember when I rebuilt my bike in a small shed with only a house door in it and had to take the bars off to get it out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Lol I remember when I rebuilt my bike in a small shed with only a house door in it and had to take the bars off to get it out.

That's a good security feature, my father in law's dad did this with his FXR, he parked it in his bedroom though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

1290s are the best.

Except on ice. My bike is for sure not the best on ice.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Got the insurance re-upped and had to take it for a short spin...you know, just to make sure that it still worked.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

More unseasonably warm weather in PA today so I got out and did the needful between work calls

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

opengl128 posted:

More unseasonably warm weather in PA today so I got out and did the needful between work calls

Gonna be about 60° on Monday as well. I might have to take the DR up to my 20 acres of woods and rip around.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yup gonna try and get out again for sure.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

This is the season for riding where I live, cramming as much as possible before April-May when temperatures go Mad Max Fury Road on us.

Forgot to take a picture for a couple weeks but here's one I didn't post yet, new front tire since then is the only difference (and chicken strips are smaller I swear :v: )

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That bike gives the overwhelming impression of being designed with downforce wings, which were removed at the last second when someone at Kawasaki got cold feet and decided it was too outrageous even for them.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Great news, someone else obviously had that thought, and for the low price of $230 USD you can remedy those cowards' oversight!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-downforce-spoilers-kawasaki-ninja-400-2018-2021?sku_id=10009235

...The black spoilers would really pop against my white fairings... but no even I can't bring myself to go that farkley :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

All wings look terrible and are surely, in the context of a street bike, completely useless. Double fairing à la RS660 or the CBRRRR is fine, though.