Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I admire the restraint - x-large instead of xx-large, unobtrusive length, no avatar, doesn't draw too much attention. It was clearly intended for long-term affixation to your posts. Keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
What's the battery life of 15" rMBP like, compared to the 13" model? I'm considering the former mainly for the screen real-estate (using Eclipse on 13" with "scaled" text rendering doesn't sound appealing to me at all), and discrete gpu possibly for Unity work. I'm trying to get rid of my desktop because ~*reasons*~ so it'll most likely become a desktop replacement.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Brotato Broth posted:

What's the battery life of 15" rMBP like, compared to the 13" model? I'm considering the former mainly for the screen real-estate (using Eclipse on 13" with "scaled" text rendering doesn't sound appealing to me at all), and discrete gpu possibly for Unity work. I'm trying to get rid of my desktop because ~*reasons*~ so it'll most likely become a desktop replacement.
If you're running the 15" and it's not using the discrete GPU then it gets ~8 hours battery life with a medium to heavy load. With the discrete GPU on depending on workload you'll be lucky to get half (if not a third) of that. Flash is terrible and will kill the battery faster than anything.

Dunno if you care about gaming at all but as long as you're not trying to do anything like play games at full detail on it it'll be able to handle drat near everything you throw at it. Games will probably work better bootcamped into Windows (although I don't really know about driver support for Bootcamp, haven't used it in ages) than OS X, even if they have a proper native port. I use mine for virtualisation more than anything else and that seems to work fine even with 5 or so VMs open at once.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sports posted:

Does anyone know why people make some sort of inextricable link between homosexuality and Mac products? Mac products can't hold sexual orientations, so I'm flummoxed as to why someone would buy me red text like this.

Custom title is a pretty good hint to post less.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Bob Morales posted:

Custom title is a pretty good hint to post less.

I'd say it depends on the case. We're SA here, we don't just keep our heads down because some psycho who can't even spell "Steven Jobs' semen" correctly may be offended.

Pivo posted:

idk they're not saying you're gay, you could possibly be a woman

Sure, but the default assumption is that we're guys here.

I think that red title says more about the insecurities and phobias of the person who paid for it than those of the person who it was bought for.

Pivo posted:

you pissed someone off, poo poo happens. i don't know how long you've been on the internet but people get pretty worked up about computer companies

I think it's because computers are a major investment for many people, so the level of emotional involvement is high. I've rarely seen people get adamant about brands of milk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

flavor posted:

I've rarely seen people get adamant about brands of milk.

Let's talk chocolate milk.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Touché, my man. BTW thank you for recommending Tom Bihn bags (I thought it was you who recommended them a while ago). I got one for the 11" MBA and it's really great.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I have a mid-2010 Mac Pro with an ATI Radeon HD 5870 video card and a 2560x1600 Dual Link DVI 30" Apple Cinema monitor. I'm 95% sure the video card has gone bad; I'm seeing little colored squared flashing on and off around the screen fairly often, they appear when I connect in via VNC as well, and I'm seeing fairly frequent hang-until-reboots on the console & VNC but the system is running fine when I connect in via SSH.

Does anyone have a good source of where I can get a replacement video card, ideally fairly cheaply? I don't think I can just take a normal PC video card and plug it in since it'll need a new ROM, but Amazon and Newegg seem sold out of Mac edition video cards, and OWC is $$$.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

flavor posted:

I think it's because computers are a major investment for many people, so the level of emotional involvement is high. I've rarely seen people get adamant about brands of milk.

Dunkin Donuts v Starbucks

Starbucks is better.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

flavor posted:

I think that red title says more about the insecurities and phobias of the person who paid for it than those of the person who it was bought for.

Nah, when somebody in the laptop megathread wants a gaming laptop or something that needs really good performance, sports will chime in recommending a MacBook Air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Dunkin Donuts v Starbucks

Starbucks is better.

Starbucks doesn't even have donuts. C'mon.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

shrughes posted:

Nah, when somebody in the laptop megathread wants a gaming laptop or something that needs really good performance, sports will chime in recommending a MacBook Air.

Well okay then.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Starbucks doesn't even have donuts. C'mon.

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/bakery/old-fashioned-glazed-doughnut

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The Starbucks breakfast bun beats out anything Dunkin Donuts has to offer.

Now Krispie Kreme on the other hand...

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

500 Calories for that little thing. Its like a drat 500 calorie piece of sweet air.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
This is the first time I clicked on this thread, simply out of curiosity.

"I wonder what goes on in here"

*Starbucks and doughnuts*

:lol:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

fordan posted:

I have a mid-2010 Mac Pro with an ATI Radeon HD 5870 video card and a 2560x1600 Dual Link DVI 30" Apple Cinema monitor. I'm 95% sure the video card has gone bad; I'm seeing little colored squared flashing on and off around the screen fairly often, they appear when I connect in via VNC as well, and I'm seeing fairly frequent hang-until-reboots on the console & VNC but the system is running fine when I connect in via SSH.

Does anyone have a good source of where I can get a replacement video card, ideally fairly cheaply? I don't think I can just take a normal PC video card and plug it in since it'll need a new ROM, but Amazon and Newegg seem sold out of Mac edition video cards, and OWC is $$$.

In my anecdotal experience, It's possible to use PC nVidia 5XX and 6XX (and some 7xx) PCIe video cards OOTB in the 'classic' Mac Pro if you're running the latest 10.8.x or 10.9.x, and you can get those for less than $200 at Amazon or MicroCenter.

The main caveat is that you won't be able to access the EFI boot screen; if you don't mind accessing the recovery disk blind, never being able to select startup drives (unless you buy a cheap official card) or never use Boot Camp, it's a reasonable option. If you don't like looking at a black screen during rebooting or are psychotically attached to the grey Apple and spinner screen, don't even bother. Video will only be enabled at the login screen. Otherwise everything works and you can run OpenGL Extensions Viewer, Galaxies, and Heaven and all those other OpenGL bench markers for the Mac to your hearts content.

The system drivers built into 10.8.5 and 10.9.1 and up will support the nVidia 650 / 660 / 750 cards without you having to flash their firmware because there are versions of the same video chips shipping standard with Mac hardware, especially the 650 / 660s since that's what 2012 / Early 2013 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros use.

Another caveat is that some PC cards will need to use auxiliary power from the logic board, you may also have to scare up PCIe 6pin to 6 pin power cables but you should be able to use the one for your 5870.

One more issue is that nobody's really going to give you official support for it, but for the money you save over official cards, you won't care.

Lastly, if you are doing work that involves OpenCL computation, you don't want to do this as nVidia's OpenCL drivers are way anemic / underdeveloped because they'd rather focus their efforts on CUDA, which they singlehandedly created and developed.. If you are doing anything with CUDA, you will enjoy some boosts from the GPU so long as you are using nVidia's latest CUDA drivers.

There's more info on using nVidia cards in Mac Pros in the MacRumors forums.

BTW, MicroCenter offers a lot of rebates to bring down prices further and a B&M location to return cards to. They also have a replacement plan that's good for the life of the part you buy that's usually 8-15% the cost of the part itself that goes for 2-3 years. If you buy a card and it goes bust within those 2-3 years they just give you a new one, assuming you bought the plan and kept the receipt. They also have a good return policy as a PC video card I bought was bad out of the box, and they let me return it for credit and I jumped to an over clocked version and paid the difference.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 14, 2014

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Mercurius posted:

If you're running the 15" and it's not using the discrete GPU then it gets ~8 hours battery life with a medium to heavy load. With the discrete GPU on depending on workload you'll be lucky to get half (if not a third) of that. Flash is terrible and will kill the battery faster than anything.

Dunno if you care about gaming at all but as long as you're not trying to do anything like play games at full detail on it it'll be able to handle drat near everything you throw at it. Games will probably work better bootcamped into Windows (although I don't really know about driver support for Bootcamp, haven't used it in ages) than OS X, even if they have a proper native port. I use mine for virtualisation more than anything else and that seems to work fine even with 5 or so VMs open at once.

Eh, now I'm a wary shopper. Last time I tried to go Flashless on my desktop, I was really underwhelmed by how Youtube on HTML just flat-out fails to buffer some videos, not to mention the occasional Flash-based websites. How big of an impact does it have on the battery life?

Also, has anyone had any experience with using the 13" rMBP as a dev machine? The price is really tempting, but I'm worried about having an ATM-card sized textbox to work with in an IDE in 1440x900 mode.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Brotato Broth posted:

Eh, now I'm a wary shopper. Last time I tried to go Flashless on my desktop, I was really underwhelmed by how Youtube on HTML just flat-out fails to buffer some videos, not to mention the occasional Flash-based websites. How big of an impact does it have on the battery life?

Also, has anyone had any experience with using the 13" rMBP as a dev machine? The price is really tempting, but I'm worried about having an ATM-card sized textbox to work with in an IDE in 1440x900 mode.

I fire up Chrome for things like YouTube and use Safari otherwise.

13" rMBP is a great developer machine. You can scale the fonts to whatever you want in Terminal (well, iTerm 2 is what you should be using...) so it's fine.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

fordan posted:

Could be wrong but I remember someone else in the thread having similar problems, and after like 3 failed trips to the apple store he finally found out it was something like the power connector for the video card instead of the video card itself. Or something like that (something power-cord related). Does anyone remember what that was? I want to say it happened to a few different people, but many of them ended up changing all sorts of stuff before figuring it out.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Brotato Broth posted:

I use the 15 rMBP as a dev. machine an love it. However I'm in bootcamp windows at around 1900X1200 so my opinion is pretty radically off. I have the 2012 rMBP and it's still one of the best I've used even compared windows laptops that cost more and weighed double.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

13" rMBP arrived today, just got home and fired it up... it is seriously one of the coolest things I have ever owned.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

I fire up Chrome for things like YouTube and use Safari otherwise.

13" rMBP is a great developer machine. You can scale the fonts to whatever you want in Terminal (well, iTerm 2 is what you should be using...) so it's fine.

Yeah, I do the same thing. Chrome for some reason kills my battery, noticeably more than Safari, but Safari doesn't handle multiple Google account logins. I'm stuck having to use both.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

shrughes posted:

Tbf that person is in their 30s and shouldn't be playing video games.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The MBA can run Kerbal Space Program, check yourself before you smash your lander into Vall. :colbert:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
It also runs Diablo III and Civ 5 without melting entirely into a pile of molten slag. :smuggo:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

rufius posted:

It also runs Diablo III and Civ 5 without melting entirely into a pile of molten slag. :smuggo:

It's funny I went from playing Civ 5 on windows to playing it on OSX, on the same machine. It runs almost 100% identical, except that there are a few spots where I get a spinning beach ball, where I never ever got an hourglass in windows, usually in loading screens.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I went from an AMD E2 laptop (which was somehow rated to be Windows 8-ready) to an i5 rMBP. It's a massive step up; I can actually run Civ without waiting ten minutes between turns!

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
How well can the 13 rMBP run WoW? Debating on getting wether to get the 13 or the 15 rMBP.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WoW is like 10 years old.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

And? Iris is still integrated graphics. Just checking here since the Mac games thread is kind of dead.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The Intel GPU is pretty terrible though and WoW constantly gets updated so it's not exactly 10 years old, draw distance and a lot of poo poo happening can bog down even powerful machines

I don't think the experience would be a good one

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was playing WoW on an iMac G5 years ago. I think there was a minor graphics update but it will be fine. WoW is meant to run on every computer imaginable.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

I was playing WoW on an iMac G5 years ago. I think there was a minor graphics update but it will be fine. WoW is meant to run on every computer imaginable.

WoW gets its minimum spec bumped with each expansion. Then, and now.

Anyway, if you're okay with low-to-medium settings and non-native resolutions, WOW runs pretty well on the HD Graphics 5000, according to this, and the Iris Pro in the 13" is supposed to be 20 percent faster. The 15 would be better, of course, especially if you go with the high-end model with Nvidia graphics in it.

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 16, 2014

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Non native resolutions and low settings look *terrible*. As I said, it won't be a good experience. If you want to play video games, you should spring for something with a dedicated GPU. Intel's solutions are good enough for light usage, maybe some old games, but if you want to play games at native res the dedicated GPU is just so much better.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sports posted:

Does anyone know why people make some sort of inextricable link between homosexuality and Mac products? Mac products can't hold sexual orientations, so I'm flummoxed as to why someone would buy me red text like this.

Apple gives a poo poo about taste and aesthetics, just like gay people.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

cbirdsong posted:

WoW gets its minimum spec bumped with each expansion. Then, and now.

Anyway, if you're okay with low-to-medium settings and non-native resolutions, WOW runs pretty well on the HD Graphics 5000, according to this, and the Iris Pro in the 13" is supposed to be 20 percent faster. The 15 would be better, of course, especially if you go with the high-end model with Nvidia graphics in it.

Refurb 2012 or early 2013 15" rMBP with the 650M go!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Pivo posted:

Non native resolutions and low settings look *terrible*. As I said, it won't be a good experience. If you want to play video games, you should spring for something with a dedicated GPU. Intel's solutions are good enough for light usage, maybe some old games, but if you want to play games at native res the dedicated GPU is just so much better.

Playing at 2560x1600 on any laptop GPU is going to be a struggle, let alone 2880x1800

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, I used to play it on a 12" Powerbook G4. Obviously it wasn't on the highest graphics settings, but it played just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

Playing at 2560x1600 on any laptop GPU is going to be a struggle, let alone 2880x1800

Yeah I guess by native res I didn't consider the retina resolution, half-res will still look fine though, just won't be "retina". But with the dedicated GPU you'd actually be able to get decent framerates with good draw distance and detail.

I've tried running WoW with the Intel HD 3000 and it was just awful. My 6750M is outdated by now too but at least it's playable without turning nearly everything to minimum.

I get that the new IGPU is somewhat faster, but dude specifically asked about playing games, and anyone who wants to play games on their laptop IMO needs one with a discrete GPU. I've never really had anyone question that wisdom before, integrated graphics aren't that good yet.