Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bobulus posted:

- Red shoes
- Blue body
- spikey hair

Aranea's gotta go fast.

THhe refrance pile doesent stop from getting taller. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Meenah's got to watch it, otherwise she will surpass Karkat as the best troll, and then she will have to be destroyed.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Huffy shuffly Aranea is so adorable. :allears:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Windfang :allears:

What are the odds on Meenah listening to Aranea's drawn out explanation of how terrible the Condesce is, and then deciding that she had become pretty awesome post-scratch and is totally cool with the results of her actions?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Augh, I'm not used to tinaun's scrollable pesterlog thing. I read the update and thought the last page was seven or so lines long. Didn't realize my mistake until I looked at this thread and didn't understand you guys. :doh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bell_ posted:

Hell loving yes! It's storytime, sister.

Uh no it is definitely time for a scene change.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Thundarr posted:

Windfang :allears:

What are the odds on Meenah listening to Aranea's drawn out explanation of how terrible the Condesce is, and then deciding that she had become pretty awesome post-scratch and is totally cool with the results of her actions?

About one to definitely. Any exposition dump about the Condesce is really for the benefit of Rose, Dave, and the rest of the still-living cast so they'll know who they're supposed to go up against once they arrive in the new session.

This scene's a pretty amusing reminder of how very much more we know than most characters. A wise man once suggested that if your protagonist doesn't actually understand what's going on, who they're fighting, why they're bad, and all that context stuff then it's kind of hard to root for them to overcome. A bit of dramatic irony's well and good, but we don't want the bad guy to go down to inclement weather, we want it to be a hero who's getting them because of what they've done.

I really do wonder if any of this stuff they're learning will ever trickle down to poor dumb John, or if at some point Rose will just point at the big mean green guy and say "John! Kill!"

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
Is anybody else as excited as me that we have confirmed last names for all A1 players?
They are all the same as the A2 players!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I guess troll surnames are associated with their symbols, which makes sense what with not having families.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Doug Rattman posted:

Is anybody else as excited as me that we have confirmed last names for all A1 players?
They are all the same as the A2 players!

I still find it kind of annoying that Homestuck characters conscientiously remember to only call their friends by their last names or pesterchum handles without exception, up until the magic reveal moment, after which anything goes in the nomenclature department. Even Kill Bill bleeped its secret first name out a few times rather than relying on something like that. :colbert:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

loquacius posted:

I still find it kind of annoying that Homestuck characters conscientiously remember to only call their friends by their last names or pesterchum handles without exception, up until the magic reveal moment, after which anything goes in the nomenclature department. Even Kill Bill bleeped its secret first name out a few times rather than relying on something like that. :colbert:

I forget, but how was the whole "addressing others" bit handled with some of the B1 kid flashbacks?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

loquacius posted:

Hussie was way worse about this until people started nagging him about "Rolal" and "Distri". At least now they USE the dumb nicknames after their first names are revealed.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The next page is gonna be BLUH BLUH HUGE 8ITCH and nothing else.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Can i just say that what Hussie's doing right now is brilliant?
1. He's refined troll typing quirks to be stylistic without losing legibility.
2. He's introducing two immediately likable characters that function as perfect foils to each other (both in personality and purpose, exposition-wise) and interesting foils to two of the most important characters in the story (Vriska & Condesce.)
3. He's found a smooth way to introduce the A1 ancestors that's both more economic and more narratively immersive than their A2 introductions (where Scratch was pretty much just straight lecturing the audience.)
4. He's recapped one of the most tedious, purposefully awful parts of Homestuck into a short conversation, forgiving readers who were tempted to skip the ancestor stuff the first time around.
The man knows how to hone his craft.

snucks fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 1, 2012

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Olivia42 posted:

Augh, I'm not used to tinaun's scrollable pesterlog thing. I read the update and thought the last page was seven or so lines long. Didn't realize my mistake until I looked at this thread and didn't understand you guys. :doh:

Speaking of which, the new update makes seeing scrolling easier.

E: Navigating Hussie's html really makes things hard.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 1, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dolash posted:

I really do wonder if any of this stuff they're learning will ever trickle down to poor dumb John, or if at some point Rose will just point at the big mean green guy and say "John! Kill!"

Last time she tried that didn't work out too well

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

tinaun posted:

Speaking of which, the new update makes seeing scrolling easier.

E: Navigating Hussie's html really makes things hard.

It was entirely my fault for forgetting I had installed the thing. Don't get me wrong, being able to see Aranea jitterbug around while reading that log makes me want to give you a huge programmer hug.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Update.

Fish Hitler cannot die. She is already dead.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Jake, that is the opposite of what you're supposed to do in that circumstance. Seriously.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
This just in: Jake continues to act a fool in front this blue babe, Mind-Dirk still not surprised.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I lost it at sea hitler.

Never change, Jake.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Jake English: two-fisted dumbass.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

quote:

DIRK: You didn't go back in time, Jake. Do you even understand what's going on?

There's just no use, Dirk. Can't stop the Jake train.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Well, long ago Jade did say that her dreamself was significantly more derpy than her waking self. Maybe it's genetic?

In any case, Jake you rascal. :allears:

BHB fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 1, 2012

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Given the convoluted internal mechanics of this comic, having a character not quite catch how things work makes me feel a little better about missing some details. Also Fish Hitler completely usurped Cthulhu as my go to ocean horror.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Technically Jake is incapable of doing any real damage here; there are at least three God Tier players right there, one of which can literally stop time, and everyone else present is presumably at the top of their respective echeladders.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Jake no

that's not how it works.

If you kill Hitler something bad always happens, just ask Einstein how that business with Stalin went.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You know what? Finally.

Finally someone is mad about the human race getting wiped out and wants to do something about it, and it isn't in the past or alluded to briefly elsewhere or sort of shrugged off in a detached way. Aranea threw around words like "trillions dead" as if they were no big deal and finally someone reacted to them.

I mean yeah it was a boneheaded reaction but at the end of the day I think that might be the fault of the person who was cavalier with the application of genocide rather than the person who heard "Fish Hitler" and whose first reaction was "stop Fish Hitler". You really can't afford ambiguity with this stuff, no matter how amusing it sounds.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jake is totally the Rory of the group, isn't he?

It's a good thing Jake is just dreaming here, because I'm mildly worried Meenah is going to defend herself, and, being so much higher on the echeladder, stab him successfully. Heck, if his volcano is going off, it would actually be a good thing if he woke up faster.

I really love the colored silhouette thing Hussie's been doing more and more.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Madtrixr posted:

Jake no

that's not how it works.

If you kill Hitler something bad always happens, just ask Einstein how that business with Stalin went.

Only Hitler can kill Hitler without repercussions. It's kind of a grey area.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Jake English, idiot adventurer is great, but this update, if we take Aranea at her word (which could be a bit of an if), also settles the Condesce's timeline as Earth then Medium. Of course it still doesn't settle the how or the why of it, but we still don't have an answer on Grandpa Harley's trip to the Medium either, so they could very well be connected.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

Technically Jake is incapable of doing any real damage here; there are at least three God Tier players right there, one of which can literally stop time, and everyone else present is presumably at the top of their respective echeladders.

There's also the little speedbump of Meenah already being dead.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RandallODim posted:

Jake English, idiot adventurer is great, but this update, if we take Aranea at her word (which could be a bit of an if), also settles the Condesce's timeline as Earth then Medium. Of course it still doesn't settle the how or the why of it, but we still don't have an answer on Grandpa Harley's trip to the Medium either, so they could very well be connected.

It also doesn't mention how/when she got to B1 Earth in order to raise Nanna and Grandpa, as well as give Dave the ICP video.

Maybe... when she entered the B-universe two 'versions' of her were created, one in B1 and one in B2. Maybe they had some brief objectives given, which is why B1 tried to stop Nanna and Grandpa from having children even though that's not how it works, but with further instructions from LE based on which side of the Scratch they were on?

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Bobulus posted:

It's a good thing Jake is just dreaming here, because I'm mildly worried Meenah is going to defend herself, and, being so much higher on the echeladder, stab him successfully. Heck, if his volcano is going off, it would actually be a good thing if he woke up faster.

I'm worried Kanaya might whip out her chainsaw again. I think Aranea has possession of the trident, but Kanaya and Dave still have their slashy-stabby weapons.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Midnight Raider posted:

There's also the little speedbump of Meenah already being dead.

Pssh, a little thing like that isn't going to stop her from getting killed.

Rekilled? Unkilled? Double Killed?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Wrist Watch posted:

Pssh, a little thing like that isn't going to stop her from getting killed.

Rekilled? Unkilled? Double Killed?

Krilled.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Ayana posted:

As if we needed even more of a reason to think Meenah and Aranea are awesome, this happens. :allears:

Also, going "Full Serket".

You went full Serket, man. Never go full Serket. You don't buy that? Ask Vriska, 2011, "Read Mindfang's journal." Remember? Went full Serket, went home empty handed.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I hope Meenah just take a few steps sideways.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
In a funny "what are the odds?" sort of coincidence, today's XKCD is also about going back in time to kill Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

CidGregor posted:

In a funny "what are the odds?" sort of coincidence, today's XKCD is also about going back in time to kill Hitler.

I wonder if there's a greasemonkey script that auto-corrects all hyperlinks from XKCD to GoatKCD