Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Supergirl isn't on the same Earth as the rest of the Arrow people. They share a "universe" in the narrative sense. The Arrow "universe" is a shared multiverse. So far the producers of BL have stated that it is not part of that for some reason.

I know they are different Earths, I was using those as examples of narrative complications that would have existed if they were on the same Earth.

As for Black Lightning, I can see the creators wanting to just be in charge of their own show, plus as the first DC show about a Black superhero, I can see not wanting seem like a sidekick to the more established CW superheroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Haven't watched it yet but twitter last night was saying that BL namedropped vixen and supergirl

It's a throwaway line that could just mean there are comic books in the BL universe. Arrowverse has a Bruce Wayne, but no indication it has a Batman.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Skwirl posted:

I know they are different Earths, I was using those as examples of narrative complications that would have existed if they were on the same Earth.

As for Black Lightning, I can see the creators wanting to just be in charge of their own show, plus as the first DC show about a Black superhero, I can see not wanting seem like a sidekick to the more established CW superheroes.

Meh, that is the question that could be asked of any comic line then. At some point you gotta suspend disbelief and go "they aren't here because they can't be." Case in point, every major story present in the Supergirl show. Superman exists. We've seen him. But he never shows up even when an entire city is in danger. At some point, you just gotta accept that Superman isn't going to show up for "reasons" and just make up whatever works in your head. Is it dumb? Most of the time, absolutely, but there is a lot of dumbness to go around with these shows so what is one more for the pile?

Also I don't see how him having his own show would make him a sidekick to anyone. Flash most certainly does not feel like an Arrow sidekick. Pretty much the only thing that holds any weight is that by being separate, they might have more legitimate control over the show (in terms of hiring people and overall direction.) But even with that, that is just an assumption, because plenty of shows that have nothing to do with comics or other shows have had issues with studios and networks meddling with the show. That said, if BL proves successful enough, I can promise that a breach will open and he will get to meet the others eventually. Whether the current showrunners want it or not. That is money on the table for them if the show (and the Arrowverse) continue being successful.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skwirl posted:

It's a throwaway line that could just mean there are comic books in the BL universe.

The tone and context of the conversation, it seems really unlikely. Especially when the daughter responded as if her Mom being Vixen could be a thing. If they were just “comic books” I can’t see her reacting that way.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rough Lobster posted:

Dagger needs to spend some private time with Cloak to charge up her crystals.

Comics are so dumb and they did a meaningful look about 20 times in that trailer that I'm not certain if you're messing with me or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Watching Gotham, 6 episodes into season 2, it's slightly confusing that tween Selina Kyle is a major character and there's a character named Tabby who uses a whip and her dress sense is basically "sexy catwoman costume" minus some cat ears.

But it is the right type of batshit, so complements to everyone in the thread who recommended it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Skwirl posted:

Watching Gotham, 6 episodes into season 2, it's slightly confusing that tween Selina Kyle is a major character and there's a character named Tabby who uses a whip and her dress sense is basically "sexy catwoman costume" minus some cat ears.

But it is the right type of batshit, so complements to everyone in the thread who recommended it.

Tabby is the DC character Tigress. :flashfact:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Tabby is the DC character Tigress. :flashfact:

Nice, I'm enjoying the show, but I don't have all the deep pulls of knowledge and am afraid to google some of the names to get the comic history because I'll just get spoilers for the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Comics are so dumb and they did a meaningful look about 20 times in that trailer that I'm not certain if you're messing with me or not.

It’s the reverse. Cloak feels a hunger/weakness if he doesn’t charge on light occasionally, and Dagger is constantly building up energy. So she can keep herself from overcharging by using her powers to help his hunger.

No private time necessary but they are a couple.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gotham doesn't have the choreography of a great Arrow fight scene but they will spend their money on the scenery and I respect that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Arrow fight scenes tend to only be decent when there is one main fighter. Their group fights look like Power Rangers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Supergirl's earth seems like Superheroes are more of a thing, as we have tiny Superman and very likely Batman exisiting in it, so BL taking place there would make sense.

There could be a Vixen on that earth too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Arrow fight scenes tend to only be decent when there is one main fighter. Their group fights look like Power Rangers.

Out of 22 episodes in a season, there will be 2-4 episodes that have an almost jaw dropping level of quality in the fight scenes, 6-8 that are decent and and the rest are about the same level of quality as low tier Buffy episodes.

Actually, now that I think about it Arrow is basically the same show as Buffy The Vampire Slayer if it was about a dude instead of a chick, which makes Barry Allen a really lovely version of Angel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is a shockingly good take.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Can't wait for the Season where he turns into Angelus then :shlick:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

twistedmentat posted:

Supergirl's earth seems like Superheroes are more of a thing, as we have tiny Superman and very likely Batman exisiting in it, so BL taking place there would make sense.

There could be a Vixen on that earth too.

Tyler Hoechlin is only a inch shorter than Cavill.

Plus, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ3gmTXzcD8

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Samuringa posted:

Savitar!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Latest Gotham spoilers

on one hand having Ed be gone sucks, but on the other having The Riddler back is fantastic.Having Headhinter be alive and back is great. Having Butch back is great and as Grundy. Freeze having some massive plan coming together! RAS IS BACK!!!! Everything is coming to a head and we still have the Joker coming.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 24, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Out of 22 episodes in a season, there will be 2-4 episodes that have an almost jaw dropping level of quality in the fight scenes, 6-8 that are decent and and the rest are about the same level of quality as low tier Buffy episodes.

Actually, now that I think about it Arrow is basically the same show as Buffy The Vampire Slayer if it was about a dude instead of a chick, which makes Barry Allen a really lovely version of Angel.

That's because they let the stunt director do a few episodes per season probably.

(And also because some of the rest of the cast aren't as good as Amell.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

I'll believe this as soon as I see them side by side.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Going to have to wait for the next Crisis for that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I'll believe this as soon as I see them side by side.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, but one of the first promo shots we had of him was him standing next to Mehcad Brooks, who has three inches on him and I think there must've been a step involved given how drastic the difference seems. So the nickname stuck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, but one of the first promo shots we had of him was him standing next to Mehcad Brooks, who has three inches on him and I think there must've been a step involved given how drastic the difference seems. So the nickname stuck.

There's also pictures of him and Stephen Amell together and Amell was noticeably taller than him. I've met Amell in person and he is 6'0" MAYBE. It's all Hollywood heights man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There's also pictures of him and Stephen Amell together and Amell was noticeably taller than him. I've met Amell in person and he is 6'0" MAYBE. It's all Hollywood heights man.

When did you meet Amell, and was he as nice as he always seems in various social media stuff?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

When did you meet Amell, and was he as nice as he always seems in various social media stuff?

Wizardworld Chicago a few years ago. He's so nice it's almost suspicious! I like that he's very open about how he used to be a massive rear end in a top hat and realized that's no way to live your life so he made a major effort to change his ways.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said some dumb stuff when that story about the kid who made the clock that was mistaken for a bomb came out.

He was trying to say people were too harsh on the school or something. He was wrong, but at least on a sort of understandable naivety side.

But he's also a Kings fan and that's not defensible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bruceski posted:

Yea, its more of forums thread meme at this point than a serious comment on the actor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, its more of forums thread meme at this point than a serious comment on the actor.

It was a Rick & Morty crossover joke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Trip report on Gotham, really liking Selina and Bruce in season 2, they were kinda annoying when I watched the first 8 or so episodes, but right after Bruce got kidnapped and almost sacrificed by cultists and was rescued he said "I had a reasonable plan for escape" I thought "this kid is definitely going to become Batman someday.

Digging Mr. Freeze stuff too, very glad this thread talked me into watching it, still not giving S.H.E.I.L.D. a third (fourth?) chance.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If you tapped out of SHIELD before the Ghost Rider arc, I would recommend giving it another shot, tbh. I was ready to quit and that season saved the show for me. If you tapped during or after Ghost Rider, then yeah, no point in coming back, nothing more recent is going to change your mind, imo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

If you tapped out of SHIELD before the Ghost Rider arc, I would recommend giving it another shot, tbh. I was ready to quit and that season saved the show for me. If you tapped during or after Ghost Rider, then yeah, no point in coming back, nothing more recent is going to change your mind, imo.

I am not falling for this trick again, y'all have stockholm syndrome or something.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I am not falling for this trick again, y'all have stockholm syndrome or something.

I dunno man, I think disliking SHIELD is fine if you also can't watch the CW stuff, but lol at people who seriously argue that the CW shows are somehow still way better. There was definitely a point when that was true. AoS circa the whole Inhuman arc as well as the Hive stuff was boring as gently caress imo, especially compared to the CW shows, but starting with the Ghost Rider stuff AoS was at least as good as the best Arrowverse from the same year, and at times noticeably better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After his introductory arc Freeze isn't in the show very much but when he is it is fun.

(talking about re-freezing Ed Nygma)

Freeze: Okay, do you want the same pose or something different?

Nygma: What? No!

Freeze: Same it is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno man, I think disliking SHIELD is fine if you also can't watch the CW stuff, but lol at people who seriously argue that the CW shows are somehow still way better. There was definitely a point when that was true. AoS circa the whole Inhuman arc as well as the Hive stuff was boring as gently caress imo, especially compared to the CW shows, but starting with the Ghost Rider stuff AoS was at least as good as the best Arrowverse from the same year, and at times noticeably better.

I like Arrow and Black Lightning and kinda like Supergirl, but I stopped watching Flash (because seriously, gently caress Barry Allen) years ago and the only episodes I've seen of Legends of Tomorrow are the crossovers.

Which reminds me

Samuringa posted:

I approve of this as long as it ends in Barry Allen getting shot with an arrow in the heart and going straight to hell.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I can't speak for BL since I am waiting to watch it on Netflix, but unless you are watching Arrow for the mediocre broadcast TV level action sequences, I am not sure how, from a pure story telling basis, AoS would be unwatchable in comparison, and I say this as someone who watches both shows, though, again, this is more forgiveable if you quite AoS prior to Ghost Rider because it was terribly bland and boring.

I guess to qualify why I use Ghost Rider as a turning point, for me, a big problem with AoS was is insistence that it was a part of the MCU while attempting to tell big, sweeping, global level stories that it didn't have the budget to properly tell. Since wasn't actually part of the MCU, this leads to ruining of the suspension of disbelief at times because they are clearly dealing with things that should have some impact on the MCU as a whole, and would gain the interest of at least one goddamned Avenger. Ghost Rider is kind of when the series turns a corner and finally tells a self contained story that would have little to no reason to clash with anything else. Granted, you have to handwave the whole "Quake is now a public figure in the media" stuff, but still, it's a lot easier to swallow. They also don't spend almost any time from that point forward dropping pointless references to the movies. That said, it isn't like AoS becomes groundbreaking TV from that point on, it is just noticeably improved, especially in its pacing. And it came at a time where I temporarily quit watching Legends because of how stupid it was, and almost quit Arrow for the same reason.

Last season of Flash was pretty terrible, but this season has sorta been better, but I could still see why people wouldn't want to come back, it isn't that much different, probably. Supergirl for me is weird. It is probably the best of the four shows, but goddamn do low production values hurt it sometimes.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 24, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He’s calling it a Ghost Rider arc but it’s really not about Ghost Rider at all. He’s there some of the time when the budget permits, but it’s about other stuff that’s he’s tangentially involved in.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's true, I just call it that because I think that was like the little subtitle thing they gave it. It's really the Darkhold arc, I guess.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So yeah, JJ Season 2 is pretty bad. Not sure what the spoiler rules are for these Netflix shows in this general Comic TV thread but the lack of a central villain or an overall plot that ties all the stories together just makes for a lot of really odd stories that don't really have much to do with eachother. And then tying them in together seems incredibly forced.

Characterization from many of the characters is just all over the place.

I have no real desire to ever watch JJS2 again. And I really liked season 1 even if at times the pacing was a bit off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I definitely didn't find it any where near as engaging as S1 but I definitely found it more watchable than Iron Fist by a long shot. But yeah, I doubt I would ever watch S2 again. Watching S2 made me want to rewatch S1 though.