Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

skipThings posted:

Thanks for the answers to the Ethiopia run, from what I read, but I want to be sure, going offensive and then Administrative is not good anymore, instead I should go defensive and exploration ?
In most of the runs I can gain all of the weaker african nations around the Horn of Africa no problem, but Yemen and the Arabian peninsula is allied in an intricate web of alliances and guarantees to ottomans and the new and enhanced stable Timurids.

After that I just run out of steam and don't know where to go to grow, the austrians, poles and french seem to be always weak and the ottomans ally Russia and then rival useless allies like GB and Spain, I guess I just have to try it again until there are better options ?

How deep should I go into debt for advisors ? Am I supposed to develop the lovely provinces around my coast while the renaissance is "progressing" inside them or before ?

Yeah unfortunately doing well against the Ottomans in the first war does partially depend on luck being with Austria or the PLC.

Exploration has always been the way to go to try and get ahead of the curve as Ethiopia though. There are a lot of wealthy areas that are easy to colonize, especially in Asia; now that states and territories are a thing, it's really easy to get big benefits from turning SE Asia Ethiopian. The money is important, but even more so is the manpower - you don't really have many good primary culture provinces at home, so you have to make more. Colonization also gives you inroads to expand militarily outside of your home neighborhood, which as you've noticed tends to get locked up in a mega-alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Can someone explain to me how France were able to march from Bearn, waltz right through Pirineo straight past my level 6 fort, and into Zaragosa to stack wipe me? Because either forts are completely broken or I just don't understand them at all. Either way it's pretty frustrating and their weird and inconsistent mechanics are easily my least favourite thing about EU4 right now. I'm at tech 22 with 23 still at 130% ahead of time, next fort level is at tech 24 so no way it's obsolete.

trapt posted:

Currently playing as Malacca, trying to form Malaya for the spice must flow. Any other achievments I should be looking out for? Still learning the game.

You could go for That's a Silk Road if you're feeling ambitious. Might be tough for a new player though. You'd need to conquer your way through SE Asia, Across India, and into Anatolia while also grabbing some territory in China and Japan. There's not a lot else in that part of the world though unfortunately. You could colonise Australia for Down Under I guess.

e: It's because they have Navarra right? I guess you can always move into a province you have territory adjacent to. It just threw me that they could go right through my fort instead of via Navarra. I never should have got stuck on the losing side of the league wars, it would still be mine. Oh well it looks like I might beat France anyway courtesy of being rich as gently caress.

e2: Fort mechanics are still hosed though, eg. having two stacks on one enemy fort and one being able to move one stack to an adjacent province but the other one unable to move to the same province.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 15, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Can someone explain to me how France were able to march from Bearn, waltz right through Pirineo straight past my level 6 fort, and into Zaragosa to stack wipe me? Because either forts are completely broken or I just don't understand them at all. Either way it's pretty frustrating and their weird and inconsistent mechanics are easily my least favourite thing about EU4 right now. I'm at tech 22 with 23 still at 130% ahead of time, next fort level is at tech 24 so no way it's obsolete.

AFAIK forts don't have ZoCs in foreign territory, so he is just waltzing into a regular fort adjacent province from his own territory. It's WAD and makes sense too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The French army moved through Pirineo, though. Would make more sense if it was forced to retreat and advance through Navarra.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Vegetable posted:

The French army moved through Pirineo, though. Would make more sense if it was forced to retreat and advance through Navarra.

Yeah this. If they'd come from Navarra I wouldn't have been so surprised. It was the fact that they moved directly through the province with the fort that pissed me off.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vegetable posted:

But you are allowed to move freely between a fort and its adjacent provinces, right? (I haven't played in a while, so I may be wrong on this.)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I assume I'm correct in thinking that if I make a custom nation in Australia (a colonial region) and colonize provinces in America they will not form colonial nations and can be made into states/core territory?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Since I know some devs are reading this thread: Income/expenses aren't being calculated or displayed correctly. I was losing money every month while the UI said I should be making it.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Fintilgin posted:

I assume I'm correct in thinking that if I make a custom nation in Australia (a colonial region) and colonize provinces in America they will not form colonial nations and can be made into states/core territory?

I haven't done anything like this since states and territories were introduced, but no I'm pretty sure that if you're colonizing a different continent CNs will still form.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

trapt posted:

Currently playing as Malacca, trying to form Malaya for the spice must flow. Any other achievments I should be looking out for? Still learning the game.

There's a button on the upper right, near the + and - for the time scale (it looks like a little trophy) that shows you all the achievements that are possible in your game.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
How is everyone's multiplayer? My friend and I are having some really bad connectivity issues in MP after RoM. Everything worked fine a week before but now my friend keeps lagging behind, causing slowdowns and desyncs. It's essentially unplayable due to constant interruptions. The save game transfer also sometimes progresses at a glacial pace.

I got the impression from my more technologically-versed friend that our mp game data passes via a master server in the US (we're in Europe) and that connection keeps timing out / the ping goes up to like 150++, causing the problems :shrug:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I hadn't noticed before but Bosnia has really good national ideas. I wonder how many times I'll have to restart to get them off the ground.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Xinder posted:

I haven't done anything like this since states and territories were introduced, but no I'm pretty sure that if you're colonizing a different continent CNs will still form.

That's what I was worried about. The wiki says

quote:

Nations with their capitals in colonial regions will not form colonial nations, even if they take land in another continent.

Which seems to suggest that Australia can rule America unimpeded, but I wasn't sure if they wrote a specific exception for that or not. I guess I can just test it.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

I hadn't noticed before but Bosnia has really good national ideas. I wonder how many times I'll have to restart to get them off the ground.

I completed Albania or Iberia achievement a while back. Was real fun to dismantle the Ottomans before 1500. Imagine Bosnia run would be similar and hinge on early Austro Hungarian alliances to split and cripple the Ottomans early assuming there's not some starting relationship malus with Austria or Hungary. Also not having Skanderbeg will make early expansion difficult. Would need to take Kosovo gold mine ASAP.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Trogdos! posted:

How is everyone's multiplayer? My friend and I are having some really bad connectivity issues in MP after RoM. Everything worked fine a week before but now my friend keeps lagging behind, causing slowdowns and desyncs. It's essentially unplayable due to constant interruptions. The save game transfer also sometimes progresses at a glacial pace.

I got the impression from my more technologically-versed friend that our mp game data passes via a master server in the US (we're in Europe) and that connection keeps timing out / the ping goes up to like 150++, causing the problems :shrug:

For what it's worth, multiplayer works fine for me in Europe.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

TomEmanski posted:

I completed Albania or Iberia achievement a while back. Was real fun to dismantle the Ottomans before 1500. Imagine Bosnia run would be similar and hinge on early Austro Hungarian alliances to split and cripple the Ottomans early assuming there's not some starting relationship malus with Austria or Hungary. Also not having Skanderbeg will make early expansion difficult. Would need to take Kosovo gold mine ASAP.

Attempt 1 complete: got wrecked by ottos

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

200 hours in this game and I still suck at it.

I want to be england, and I want to kill or at least neuter france.

How do I do that? They can beat me, Castille, Portugal and savoy without breaking a sweat :stare:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Pretty much all problems in this game are solved by alliances with Austria or the Ottomans.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TorakFade posted:

200 hours in this game and I still suck at it.

I want to be england, and I want to kill or at least neuter france.

How do I do that? They can beat me, Castille, Portugal and savoy without breaking a sweat :stare:

Lots of loans, lots and lots of mercenaries.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fellblade posted:

Pretty much all problems in this game are solved by alliances with Austria or the Ottomans.

I am allied to Austria but favors are slow to come and they won't get in the war. France just won't attack first...

Will try to hire dozens of mercs. Is day-1 attack better or should I wait for favors and allies?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Really liking RoM thus far. I hadn't really understood that ruler traits also affect how the AI plays their nation, which makes every country seem a bit more dynamic and unique, and the great power mechanics add suspense. I forgot that GPs can intervene in wars, so I played as usual in my Naples game and declared war against Castile, and called in France. I thought it would be a walk in the park, then suddenly Austria jumps in and we had to grind out a victory which gave me a lot less than desired. I had a similar experience further on, when the Ottomans joined in a war against Spain. All in all, a really cool dlc.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Spend your first little while building up by attacking Brittany and maybe burgundy if you see a good opportunity. Taking on France as a new player isn't the easiest haha

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Fintilgin posted:

That's what I was worried about. The wiki says

Which seems to suggest that Australia can rule America unimpeded, but I wasn't sure if they wrote a specific exception for that or not. I guess I can just test it.

I don't recall that ever being true. I usually trust the wiki but that doesn't sound right at all. Pretty sure having a capital in a colonial region just means you won't form CNs on that continent or that shares a landborder with your current continent territory (so basically just panama let's you get away with that). Aztecs getting CNs in South America is something I've seen happen several times in the past.

Unless this is relatively new and I just haven't noticed the change.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Now that the new expansion's out I'm back into EU4. I'm playing Papal States and my goal is to unify Italy into the Kingdom of God. Should I join the HRE as soon as I'm able so the Emperor (Austria who loves me and I'm allied with) won't get pissy at me for steamrolling the northern Italian minors? I'm not sure how the HRE and Papal States work since they're stuck at Kingdom-level government.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

As doesn't seem that bad at the moment. I just annexed all of Serbia in one war as Bosnia and have no coalition. Serbia would only have been at 53 ae! That was with the -10% impact ruler trait though

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Now that the new expansion's out I'm back into EU4. I'm playing Papal States and my goal is to unify Italy into the Kingdom of God. Should I join the HRE as soon as I'm able so the Emperor (Austria who loves me and I'm allied with) won't get pissy at me for steamrolling the northern Italian minors? I'm not sure how the HRE and Papal States work since they're stuck at Kingdom-level government.

Northern Italy leaves the empire bye event fairly quickly, so there's no real reason to join the HRE for that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LordArgh posted:

Since I know some devs are reading this thread: Income/expenses aren't being calculated or displayed correctly. I was losing money every month while the UI said I should be making it.

How much was it off by? Were you doing anything near the end of the month that would cause it to be off? Were you at war?

The calculator is really good about including all of your typical income/expenses, but it can't predict that suddenly 10 of your provinces became blockaded or that you were going to pull in 5 ducats of plunder, etc.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Anyone can walk into a fort territory, that's no issue. From there, the fort's zone of control doesn't extend into French territory, so those armies were able to walk across the board and into France.

Seems to be working normally, to me

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Anyone can walk into a fort territory, that's no issue. From there, the fort's zone of control doesn't extend into French territory, so those armies were able to walk across the board and into France.

Seems to be working normally, to me
The army walked through Pirineo not into France but into more Spanish territory.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Looking for some help with doing a strong Portugal run. There's so much to do I end up getting overwhelmed: colonies in Brazil, colonies in the Caribbean, exploration, dicking about in North Africa, getting to the Cape first and so on. The problem I have is prioritising. My current MO is:
Switch to Admin focus on day 1
Save up diplo points for the first 2 exploration ideas (colonist and range)
Take the missions for Tangier and Gharb and beat up on Morocco for a bit
Grab Cape Verde

What's the priority after that? I've generally been trying to focus on the Caribbean, grabbing the 5 colonies you need to form the colonial nation. That works ok but then Castille pops up in Guinea and before I know it the new world is swarming with other nations. That's my land, drat it, I bribed the pope fair and square for it. Then I usually try to settle Angola and then the Cape - but again, not sure how much is good.

Also, how aggressive are you supposed to go when colonising? It's very expensive to go over the limit of colonies and pay the extra costs, but if you don't do that then the AI nabs all the good stuff first.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

The army walked through Pirineo not into France but into more Spanish territory.

Oh, I got confused by the screenshot

The AI gets a special rule: if they have any route to a province by going around a zones of control, then they basically get to ignore the zone of control entirely and can just pass directly into the province. So since they have Navarra, they were able to walk right into Zargosa, even using Pirineo. It's an inconsistency and I don't really know why the AI gets this special rule

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

Looking for some help with doing a strong Portugal run. There's so much to do I end up getting overwhelmed: colonies in Brazil, colonies in the Caribbean, exploration, dicking about in North Africa, getting to the Cape first and so on. The problem I have is prioritising. My current MO is:
Switch to Admin focus on day 1
Save up diplo points for the first 2 exploration ideas (colonist and range)
Take the missions for Tangier and Gharb and beat up on Morocco for a bit
Grab Cape Verde

What's the priority after that? I've generally been trying to focus on the Caribbean, grabbing the 5 colonies you need to form the colonial nation. That works ok but then Castille pops up in Guinea and before I know it the new world is swarming with other nations. That's my land, drat it, I bribed the pope fair and square for it. Then I usually try to settle Angola and then the Cape - but again, not sure how much is good.

Also, how aggressive are you supposed to go when colonising? It's very expensive to go over the limit of colonies and pay the extra costs, but if you don't do that then the AI nabs all the good stuff first.

If you want to maximize the benefits, focus on the Carribbean and the Cape of Good Hope, which will let you redirect most of the new world trade back to the Sevilla node. I always go over the colonizer limit, you've got to make sure that you get the best stuff before anyone else does.

From there, you can do whatever you want. Go take over India or something

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So after getting a chance to put in some more hours with Rights of Man this weekend, my thoughts:

Ruler traits, consorts, great power status and general traits are very cool and tie into a ton of event decisions. I've always wished Paradox added a little bit of CK2 to EU4 and I think they've done a good job of it here.

Insititutions are neat, might need balance tweaked some. Some institutions spread very quickly, others take a long time to reach inland and not-European areas. You can force adoption of an Institution by developing a province to 35-40 development, this will cost around 1500-2500 (base without any modifiers) monarch points depending on the starting development (20 and 3 in example given). It's cheaper to start with a high-development province, so if you're in Asia and have a good leader and want to grab Institutions ASAP, dump points on a 15-20 dev farmlands (or the cheapest dev terrain you have) province with a trade boost or valuable trade good.

I feel like the switch from the old tech/Westernization mechanic to Institutions will result in higher overall point costs for technology, but makes technology advancement a strategic goal and when you dump points on "westernizing" you're at least getting development for it.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 16, 2016

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I only wish that spreading development out was a viable way to get the institution. Since it doesn't tick up you basically have to make some random province a New York City while everything else is 3 development crap.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
What I like about institutions is that it makes developing provinces a lot more attractive and builds in incentives to "play tall." My last two games I've picked up economic ideas and have been very happy with the choice.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Rofl as Aragon I got the mission to capture "Gonder" :captainpop:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dorkopotamis posted:

What I like about institutions is that it makes developing provinces a lot more attractive and builds in incentives to "play tall." My last two games I've picked up economic ideas and have been very happy with the choice.

Yeah, Economic and Defensive ideas were already top-tier but are even better with this patch.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TorakFade posted:

Is day-1 attack better or should I wait for favors and allies?

Get as many big allies as you can (improve relations, rival against their rivals, get a dip. rep. advisor, give gifts, etc) while gobbling up targets of opportunity (Ireland nations, Brittany, etc) and building up a navy of heavy ships bigger than France + their allies. Declare on France once you have a good slate of allies (make sure to see if they'll accept the promise of land rather than favors so you can pick your timing better) and preferably while France is already busy in a war, and use big stacks of mercenaries to ablate their doomstacks while your own troops focus on their forts. The aim of your first war with France should be to wreck their manpower (this will get all the smaller countries around dogpiling on them too) and to take some key provinces to bypass their forts in future wars.

The manpower part is the key, since if they lose mans and all you lose is a bunch of gold, you're in an excellent position to efficiently punch a bunch of money out of them in future wars.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 16, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

IAmThatIs posted:

Rofl as Aragon I got the mission to capture "Gonder" :captainpop:

Just watch out for the white hand of Saruhan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Second Aztec attempt report: things are going better.

I'm so used to blobbing it's hard to stop myself and realize when I shouldn't. Colonizing slowly, keeping my advisors at +3 constantly and not starting stupid wars for Brazil helped a lot. Slow and steady wins the race.

I also managed to snipe Lisboa without occupying any Spanish mainland provinces. I think it was cause Portugal was Spain's PU partner. I couldn't take land from Spain but I could take Portuguese provinces no problem, forts be damned. Is that a bug?

Elman fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 16, 2016

• Locked thread