Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Jose posted:

kaidou is just an oars who suffers from dwarfism

Kaidou is the samurai wannabe who's pissed the cool kids wouldn't let him on their secret island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

he could have just said "yo kaidou if you wanna die in an epic war hold off a bit we got this luffy kid he's gonna do something even crazier chill out for 2 years ok" and kaidou agreed

I feel like a meeting of Yonkou always has some sort of clash like that thing Shanks and Whitebeard did when they met it's like a handshake.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lpzie posted:

What is offensive cooking?

A well done filet mignon

E: or this
https://youtu.be/-e5gTx1fVU4

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 30, 2017

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

w/ catsup

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Anyone else feel like Shichibukai Bounties are weird? Like you have these Yonkou commanders having 1 billion bounties and people like Kuma only having 300 million or even Crocodile having 80million.

Sabo's bounty is 602m, Aces was 550m.

Like you have a guy who took out half the Shichibukai and allied himself with the other half, which was stated as the first time they had such vacancies IIRC, declared war on the government twice, beat up a noble, broke out of their alcatraz with a bunch of inmates, participated in the Great War and he only gets $400m. Granted some of it is from 'cover-ups' but his bounty should still reflect more of that.

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 30, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's an artifact of one piece lasting longer than oda thought it would

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shichibukai bounties are small because the members' bounties stopped growing the instant they joined

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Shichibukai bounties are small because the members' bounties stopped growing the instant they joined

If there's all these 500m+ bounties out there why are they recruiting people who wouldn't even be a supernova? Why was a big revolutionary less than 300m?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bounties aren't power levels. Hell, they recruited Blackbeard who had a bounty of 0, and he's an Emperor now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea people like kuma having the same bounty as luffy did on shabaody makes no sense but it was always gonna happen. they're only pseudo power levels so it's not that big a deal anyway

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Yeah, Hancock got $80 million and then Shichibukai status after a single trip away from her Island. If hers was allowed to grow she would most likely have a giant bounty given her aggressive nature and Conqueror's Haki.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Bounties aren't power levels. Hell, they recruited Blackbeard who had a bounty of 0, and he's an Emperor now

Yes they're not power levels but they are 'threat level' so why are they recruiting people with 80m bounties when there's a trove of $500m bounties and even 1bill bounties out there. On top of that they're almost all based in Paradise.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kild posted:

Yes they're not power levels but they are 'threat level' so why are they recruiting people with 80m bounties when there's a trove of $500m bounties and even 1bill bounties out there

'Cause those people don't want to work for the government?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Begemot posted:

All of them though? Like you have the entire New World and all you get are these people from Paradise and the people who couldn't handle the New World? And this is suppose to be a loving force that can balance the Yonkou? The Yonkou who have commanders who could probably gently caress up every single shichibukai except maybe Mihawk?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not a question of why they aren't recruiting stronger people with higher bounties, but rather how can the shichibukai compete on the level of the admirals or commanders of yonko crews. they're treated as a force on the level of those people after all

but again, bounties aren't strictly "the higher the number, the stronger you are" deals. there is obviously a correlation between the two but it's not the whole story, like how kidd got his bounty higher than luffy's by constantly terrorizing civilians

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Begemot posted:

who can say what those people, who didn't join, had for bounties when the dudes who did join joined anyway?

remember, the Shichibukai's bounties haven't changed since they joined

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LupusAter posted:

It's by exclusion: Whitebeard and Kaido were both explicitly called the strongest, with the implication that Kaido is stronger.

Where's the implication Kaidou is stronger? Wasn't Whitebeard noted to be "the man closest to One Piece"? I think the Marines viewed him as the most dangerous of the Warlords too, though I can't recall where exactly that was stated; if it was stated. Regardless, Shanks stopped Kaidou and was in good enough shape afterward to stop a war at Marineford. And Shanks is supposed to be less powerful than Whitebeard was. I think it's just a question of progression; Big Mom is the first Warlord that Luffy is facing, even if you want to argue he won't beat her first, so she's viewed as the weakest simply because power levels tend to climb in shonen stories and having him face a weaker enemy after ward is anti-climactic. She's also spoken of Kaidou in a way that indicates even she is, at the very least, wary of him and we know Shanks has already beaten Kaidou making it seem like Big Mom is weaker than Kaidou and Shanks is stronger than him.

Kild posted:

All of them though? Like you have the entire New World and all you get are these people from Paradise and the people who couldn't handle the New World? And this is suppose to be a loving force that can balance the Yonkou? The Yonkou who have commanders who could probably gently caress up every single shichibukai except maybe Mihawk?

I'd imagine Kuma can stand up to most of them too.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

They recruited Jinbe, Doflamingo, and probably Mihawk from the New World

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Kuma was almost certainly recruited from the New World too, given that he used to work as a high ranking member of the Revolutionaries and there's no way they weren't in the New World.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Also I imagine most of those giant bounties are on people who turned down offers to join the Shichibukai, like Ace did

E: alternatively, bounties are getting massive due to inflation :homebrew:

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 30, 2017

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Kild posted:

The feeling I get (not sure this is something Oda planned for) is that the Warlords only really need to be good enough to stomp anyone in the blues or the first half of the Grand Line. Aside from Buggy and maybe Moria, the Warlords that we've seen would be invincible outside the New World unless they ran into an outlier like Luffy (who still got lucky against the two Warlords he beat before the timeskip) or were specifically targeted by top-level Marines or the Emperors. Since their job is to deter piracy in the parts of the world that the World Government actually controls, it fits that the Warlords don't necessarily have to be strong enough to just jump into the New World and take on the Emperors and their forces. (It also follows that the people who congregate under the Emperors are going to be extremely strong as well. I suspect that all of their top lackeys - people like Beckman, Marco, Ace, Jack, Katakuri, Cracker - are people who could have easily become Warlords if they hadn't thrown in their lot with the Emperors instead.)

The Warlords aren't a counterbalance for all the Emperors, but for each Emperor individually (plus all the random pirates that crop up elsewhere in the world). The reason the balance of power exists is because the Emperors' crews are so ludicrously strong that the government doesn't want to bet on winning even a defensive battle with them unless they have all their admirals and warlords on hand.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more of the Marines again as more Emperors are toppled, unless others take their place. But I don't imagine 'Continuing the current power balance as it already exists' is what any of the Supernovas are going to do. Certainly not Luffy.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Bounties seem to be only mentioned when its a "Oh poo poo! That's more than Luffy's!" moment.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

tsob posted:

Where's the implication Kaidou is stronger? Wasn't Whitebeard noted to be "the man closest to One Piece"?

Don't got a dog in this fight, but I had a thought about this. It might be referring to the fact that Whitebeard was a friend/ally of Roger. I doubt anyone else knows that Roger offered to tell Whitebeard the location of One Piece, but it probably is common knowledge that they knew and respected each other.

U-DO Burger posted:

Sub Harrison posted:

Bounties seem to be only mentioned when its a "Oh poo poo! That's more than Luffy's!" moment.

These are the correct opinions. My only gripe with the "Warlords are a balance with the Navy and the Emperors" is that Crocodile got taken out too early by a weak (compared to now) Luffy. Makes Croc seem like a chump...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they're not going to make a subordinate a warlord

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

If you're complaining about the warlords being weak, I can only ask, have you forgotten about Mihawk? The dude could probably go toe to toe with any warlord other than Kaido. Kuma wasn't exactly a slouch either.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
“The reason why One Piece has been continually running for the past 20 years is because of the Seven Warlords of the Sea (the Shichibukai). One Piece was initially intended to be a tale of fighting against the Four Emperors (the Yonko), wrapping up after just five years. It struck me that having these cool Seven Warlords of the Sea in the comic would be awesome; it was just a passing thought really. And then, just like a horror movie, it’s spiraled into such a long series!!

Why couldn’t it be Five or Two Warlords of the Sea? I thought that “Seven Warlords” just sounded so much cooler!! Well, I’ve no lingering regrets since I’ve already drawn what I’ve wanted to draw.

Just a little more!!”

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Five years huh?? Hehe heehe hehheehe

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

If you're complaining about the warlords being weak, I can only ask, have you forgotten about Mihawk? The dude could probably go toe to toe with any warlord other than Kaido. Kuma wasn't exactly a slouch either.

there's a pretty massive gap between him and, say, moria or crocodile. hell, there's a huge gap between them and doflamingo. not a lot of consistency for them compared to the admirals or yonko where everyone is about on par with one another

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the don't all have to be at the same powerlevel

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Very interesting that Oda had the Four Emperors planned out from that early on (even if I'm sure a lot of things changed between then and Enies Lobby). Before that statement I always did wonder if the conversation with Johnny and Yosaku where they talk about the "three great powers" suggested that the Emperors were in the back of Oda's mind even then.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

IIRC the original plan was a five year manga where luffy and crew duke it out with the four warlords. Then he goes 'hey wouldn't it be cool if these shichibukai guys show up' and here we are.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Big Mom will be the first One Piece villain defeated by type 2 diabetes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Big Mom will be the first One Piece villain defeated by type 2 diabetes.

But probably not the last.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

anime was right posted:

“The reason why One Piece has been continually running for the past 20 years is because of the Seven Warlords of the Sea (the Shichibukai). One Piece was initially intended to be a tale of fighting against the Four Emperors (the Yonko), wrapping up after just five years. It struck me that having these cool Seven Warlords of the Sea in the comic would be awesome; it was just a passing thought really. And then, just like a horror movie, it’s spiraled into such a long series!!

Why couldn’t it be Five or Two Warlords of the Sea? I thought that “Seven Warlords” just sounded so much cooler!! Well, I’ve no lingering regrets since I’ve already drawn what I’ve wanted to draw.

Just a little more!!”

Y

20+
Y

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

Just a little more!!”

Not gonna lie, Seven Royal Warlords of the Sea sounds hella cool compared to Five/Two.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Seven is a very popular number.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

More like seven royal sellouts of the sea amiright

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Seven is a very popular number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcz1KUXGZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lpzie posted:

What is offensive cooking? Is Sanji going to actually give Big Mom a better cake or is he gonna own her via her fat gut.

Only the okama know the secrets to offensive cooking. I'm betting on a cake that's loaded with Haki and such that every bit is delicious as it is painful