Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Raldikuk posted:

Almost certainly. Most people don't track their spending to the penny and it is very easy to overlook snack purchases since their individual dollar value can be so small. It's like how spending $5.33 on Red Bull every working day will add up to $1,385.80 over the course of a year. If you're making $15/hour that represents 4.4% of your gross income. That poo poo is significant, yet most people will rationalize it away as if it were nothing.

I do love that his mortgage has a higher rate than his truck (I assume it is a truck). He also doesn't list insurance nor gas, and I do not believe for a second that fits under his $500/mo misc expenses.

I think he said somewhere in the comment that's it's a BMW. $750 a month @2%is about 55k, so it must be a new 3 series.

I get wanting a nice car when you have a good income but he could have gotten a CPO 2016 3 series for about 20k less. Probably with less than 25,000 miles on it and a 1.99% interest rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Numbers don’t add up. Even if you add utilities, gas, car insurance, and other expected expenses dude is wasting way more than “maybe 1000/mo”.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Sure, why the hell not? Everyone needs to have some "emergency food" options that are cheap. As long as it's not your go-to meal all the time, nothing wrong with making a hotdog.

It's about keeping yourself fed while keeping costs reasonably low.

I mean, there's all sorts of options other than just hot dogs, but the great thing about cooking is once you learn some basic skills, it's easy to turn out a more-than-just-a-hot-dog meal.

Exactly - once you get into the mac and cheese with hot dogs territory it's a whole new game! Then you explode their mind with some ketchup added on top

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Frying the hot dogs was will be his moment of self-realization.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BarbarianElephant posted:

Americans will enthusiastically take heavy, brutal jobs if the pay is right: see the oil boom. Every working class man in the USA decamped to Alaska to live 10 to a trailer and operate heavy machinery in a snow storm. Because they were paid handsomely to do it.

In the same way, Americans will pick fruit and man fishing boats if paid well enough to compensate for it being a 6 months of the year job that destroys your body.

Oil fields also require a lot less labor and much of it is more skilled than picking fruit, so it's not the best analogue.

Vineyards in California are having a bitch of a time hiring people and are paying between $15 and $20 a hour. There was a recent article on the mug factory in the midwest that supplies Starbucks and it's unable to find manufacturing labor even though they're paying well above the average wage. In that case it's more the opioid epidemic, but it's still a similar situation and shows that there are a variety of reasons why these companies can't find workers. If you plopped these jobs into the suburbs or cities you'd probably have a better time finding employees, but people don't want this type of work in the small towns they're located in.

The system we had was pretty sweet, but even without Trump loving things up, it was only going to last as long as Mexico had a huge excess population in need of work. Time to make strawberries a luxury item of figure out how to invent farm worker robots. That'd be the most boring episode of Westworld.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dustoph posted:

Exactly - once you get into the mac and cheese with hot dogs territory it's a whole new game! Then you explode their mind with some ketchup added on top

poo poo, you can put some broccoli in there and have an actual meal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raldikuk posted:

I do love that his mortgage has a higher rate than his truck (I assume it is a truck).

That's......pretty normal for the last nearly decade or so for people with good credit. Mortgage rates went down into the high 1s at one point, and you could get 0-2 all day long on a car. Mortgage rates are back the 4s and you can get 0-2 on a car all day long.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The guy is still putting 10% into his 401k so it's not all bad, as long as he hasn't been cashing out for Bitcoin or whatever. This looks like more mundane BMW.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oil fields also require a lot less labor and much of it is more skilled than picking fruit, so it's not the best analogue.

Vineyards in California are having a bitch of a time hiring people and are paying between $15 and $20 a hour. There was a recent article on the mug factory in the midwest that supplies Starbucks and it's unable to find manufacturing labor even though they're paying well above the average wage. In that case it's more the opioid epidemic, but it's still a similar situation and shows that there are a variety of reasons why these companies can't find workers. If you plopped these jobs into the suburbs or cities you'd probably have a better time finding employees, but people don't want this type of work in the small towns they're located in.

The system we had was pretty sweet, but even without Trump loving things up, it was only going to last as long as Mexico had a huge excess population in need of work. Time to make strawberries a luxury item of figure out how to invent farm worker robots. That'd be the most boring episode of Westworld.

We've been seeing increased automation of farms for hundreds upon hundreds of years. There are combines that run on GPS with no driver now. I'd be shocked if someone hasn't been trying to figure out how to automate growing and harvesting strawberries as well.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Lockback posted:

The guy is still putting 10% into his 401k so it's not all bad, as long as he hasn't been cashing out for Bitcoin or whatever. This looks like more mundane BMW.
While he is saving for his retirement, he's spending shitloads of money and not saving any because his investing habits are basically a gambling problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wolfy posted:

While he is saving for his retirement

not saving

Hmm.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

You know what I meant. If he loses his job tomorrow he's living off his 401(k).

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Volmarias posted:

We've been seeing increased automation of farms for hundreds upon hundreds of years. There are combines that run on GPS with no driver now. I'd be shocked if someone hasn't been trying to figure out how to automate growing and harvesting strawberries as well.

I don't doubt that that is true, but think it is a much harder problem to automate harvesting of fruits and veggies than it is to automate harvesting of corn, other grains, and soybeans. Like you can't just mow down your grove of orange trees with a combine harvester.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

I think we're down to 1% of the population working in farming from something like 40% in 1900 - so yeah, automation is definitely a thing. Still doesn't work for certain jobs like strawberries and grapes.

I can't recall where I read it (maybe Fast Food Nation) but strawberries are particularly labor intensive. That industry exists solely on the backs of migrants.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

silence_kit posted:

I don't doubt that that is true, but think it is a much harder problem to automate harvesting of fruits and veggies than it is to automate harvesting of corn, other grains, and soybeans. Like you can't just mow down your grove of orange trees with a combine harvester.

It's still very possible. It's probably not cost competitive yet, but give it time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKT351pQHfI

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Still doesn't work for certain jobs like strawberries and grapes.

Mechanical grape harvesting has been a thing in the wine and juice industry for decades.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Mechanical grape harvesting has been a thing in the wine and juice industry for decades.

It's probably great for juice, not so good for wine since you can't tell the difference between ripe and unripe.

The wine I drink is 2 Buck Chuck, so that's probably mechanically harvested by running over the vines with a pickup truck and collecting whatever you can spray off with a hose.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's probably great for juice, not so good for wine since you can't tell the difference between ripe and unripe.

They have optical sorting for that purpose.

https://www.goodfruit.com/new-grape-harvester-leaves-mog-in-the-field/

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lol I like the wine industry insider acronym MOG (Material Other [than] Grapes)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Opiate epidemic is more of an issue then people realize, Drug testing in many manufacturing isnt testing for weed its looking for signs of meth and opiates. Northeast Ohio cant fill any of the manufacturing jobs paying well above median wage with good benefits because of both a lack of skilled workers (trained CNC and the like) and then people that arent opiate addicted.

we have 4 positions open at the company I am at that offer around 20 an hour with paid medical and not soul crushing overtime or shifts, we cant get people at all.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Opiate epidemic is more of an issue then people realize, Drug testing in many manufacturing isnt testing for weed its looking for signs of meth and opiates. Northeast Ohio cant fill any of the manufacturing jobs paying well above median wage with good benefits because of both a lack of skilled workers (trained CNC and the like) and then people that arent opiate addicted.

we have 4 positions open at the company I am at that offer around 20 an hour with paid medical and not soul crushing overtime or shifts, we cant get people at all.

well it's kind of the same everywhere, the United States is approaching full employment, there are generally very few able-bodied, willing, unaddicted, nondisabled people out there looking for jobs who simply can't find them. at some point employers are simply going to just have to raise wages to compete for employees, despite the fact that employers have more monopsony power over workers in the labor market than they have since the 1920s

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

My girlfriend, who's in training to become a dermatologist, is thinking about making and marketing a skin cream for horses. In her words, "they'll (horse people) buy anything!"

BWM, or the best with money?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
http://www.kordon.com/oasis/products/oasis-naturals-herbals/herbal-skin-healing-cream-for-horses

beaten w/ money

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

well it's kind of the same everywhere, the United States is approaching full employment, there are generally very few able-bodied, willing, unaddicted, nondisabled people out there looking for jobs who simply can't find them. at some point employers are simply going to just have to raise wages to compete for employees, despite the fact that employers have more monopsony power over workers in the labor market than they have since the 1920s

:getin:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How do you get skin cream on a animal covered in fur??

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How do you get skin cream on a animal covered in fur??

Proprietary applicators that put the lotion directly on the skin. $$$$$

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Proprietary applicators that put the lotion directly on the skin. $$$$$

Save your money. It's just a bucket.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"it puts the lotion on its skin!" will be the perfect ad campaign!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Proper wine and juice grapes are determinate. Each variety in each field are all ripe at the same time.

I was harvesting with this equipment 20 years ago when I worked at a winery. As far as eating grapes, they are typically larger and I would suspect more likely to get bruised, but it would not surprise me at all if there wasn't a more appropriate harvester now, or even at that time, for that type of grape.

The equipment has specific row spacing and vine support requirements. They are not difficult to achieve, and even small producers follow this so they can pay someone to harvest for them/rent the equipment (which at small scale fits on the 3 point hitch of a common farm tractor). This poo poo is not complicated and is super common.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 7, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Proper wine and juice grapes are determinate. Each variety in each field are all ripe at the same time.

I was harvesting with this equipment 20 years ago when I worked at a winery. As far as eating grapes, they are typically larger and I would suspect more likely to get bruised, but it would not surprise me at all if there wasn't a more appropriate harvester now, or even at that time, for that type of grape.

The equipment has specific row spacing and vine support requirements. They are not difficult to achieve, and even small producers follow this so they can pay someone to harvest for them/rent the equipment (which at small scale fits on the 3 point hitch of a common farm tractor). This poo poo is not complicated and is super common.

I didn't realize it worked that well.

Sounds like the technology is fruitful.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

And then there's robotic apple harvesting, though I don't know how widespread it is vs. tech demos:
Ripe, fallen apples (2013): https://youtu.be/ZRoq32Y7a90

There are others that shake apples off of the tree or strip them as they drive down an orchard row.

Whoa, and I saw this for a robotic strawberry harvested while trying to find that Apple video. Cuts the stem to avoid damaging the fruit (2018):
https://youtu.be/M3SGScaShhw

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Related videos to that strawberry video had an Engadget summary of a bunch of the techs that are in development. Pretty cool poo poo.

Lot's of people bitching about the lack of labor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl77FVobxVI

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

SpelledBackwards posted:

Whoa, and I saw this for a robotic strawberry harvested while trying to find that Apple video. Cuts the stem to avoid damaging the fruit (2018):
https://youtu.be/M3SGScaShhw

This is unbelievably cool. I actually sell robotics equipment for the plastics industry and this robot as shown must be near $5 million or more. Which I guess it close to a lifetime of under the table migrant labor for some of these farms.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Sock The Great posted:

This is unbelievably cool. I actually sell robotics equipment for the plastics industry and this robot as shown must be near $5 million or more. Which I guess it close to a lifetime of under the table migrant labor for some of these farms.
Wow that is crazy, if its anywhere close to accurate. If only Congress would start fining the poo poo out of companies who hire illegals, then this stuff would look proper cheap at and price! Or maybe locking up the companies! (Yes, companies - no, I have no idea how that would work.)

I imagine this is really designed to be used in a vertical farming environment so you'll massively increase density and production.

E: More on strawberry picking. Sounds like farms love the idea, obviously. http://www.theledger.com/news/20180122/local-company-advancing-rapidly-on-robotic-strawberry-harvester

Shipping containers. Real cool. Reminds me of stealth pot grows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-1tBWDHcQs

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 8, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Krispy Wafer posted:

The wine I drink is 2 Buck Chuck, so that's probably mechanically harvested by running over the vines with a pickup truck and collecting whatever you can spray off with a hose.

That is a very well put together sentence.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Raldikuk posted:

Almost certainly. Most people don't track their spending to the penny and it is very easy to overlook snack purchases since their individual dollar value can be so small. It's like how spending $5.33 on Red Bull every working day will add up to $1,385.80 over the course of a year. If you're making $15/hour that represents 4.4% of your gross income. That poo poo is significant, yet most people will rationalize it away as if it were nothing.

I do love that his mortgage has a higher rate than his truck (I assume it is a truck). He also doesn't list insurance nor gas, and I do not believe for a second that fits under his $500/mo misc expenses.

Place I work at used to be next to a little drive through coffee place, a lot of would go over frequently to get something. After we moved buildings, one person thought they got a raise because they were saving an extra 20 bucks a week.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's never a labour shortage -- it is a wage/compensation shortage.

If you make it worthwhile for people to (a) move out of the city and do (b) seasonal (c) manual labour, they will do so! The trick is in the "making it worthwhile" part. If you can get that sorted out, then your labour problems are gone!

Of course, the price of the product will rise, but that means that the price is now more accurately reflecting the cost of producing that product.

And before someone kneejerks with "but there aren't enough people in the first place" -- did you notice the explosion in the number of real estate parasites before the financial crisis? They smelt the money and decided to train up in real estate stuff. If there is decent money to be made, people will start doing farm work too.

All you need is for the government to crack down on dodgy employers like Sigma X said, and then maybe put some kind of incentive programs in place to get employers out of the "dollars for me at all costs" mindset. But I realise that's getting into "we can't do that because American Exceptionalism(tm)" territory.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Weatherman posted:

get employers out of the "dollars for me at all costs" mindset. But I realise that's getting into "we can't do that because American Exceptionalism(tm)" territory.
I wish there was a good way to do this. Americans suck.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

SiGmA_X posted:

I wish there was a good way to do this

is :thermidor: not good enough for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they will kill their firstborn rather than doing it because wages don't go down without blood in the streets

the wages will go up anyways :getin: