Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I have a carpenter bee problem in my porch stairs. My porch is concrete, but the stairs are wood. The bees get up underneath the stairs and bore in. The wood itself is stained and sealed, but they don't seem to mind. Last Fall, I sprayed carpenter bee insecticide like crazy and plugged all the holes they made and hoped that it would be solved. It's gotten warmer recently, and I happened to be looking underneath the stairs and noticed a couple new holes were bored out. I'm assuming this is not a good sign.

To add to the problem, we live near a woods and there are a bunch of woodpeckers around. The woodpeckers love to come to our stairs to get at the bee larvae. The underside of my stairs looks like Swiss cheese at this point, and I'm worried it's affecting the structural integrity, and I'll have to replace the stairs entirely with a metal set or something less bee / woodpecker prone.

Anybody have experience destroying carpenter bees?

I've had some good luck with traps.

http://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/planting-and-maintenance/make-a-homemade-carpenter-bee-trap

http://www.myfrugalhome.com/how-to-build-a-carpenter-bee-trap/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I'm not sure I would call woodpeckers adorable; at least the Migratory Bird Act doesn't say poo poo about scaring them away with a Super Soaker.

Hope you've got a take permit for that super soaker.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I had them come out last night. Quote was 15k for a high velocity a/c and entirely redo the insulation in the attic. It's a 1100sqft cape cod with a finished attic, so they are just redoing the insulation in the knee wall recesses.

It breaks out to 10k for the a/c and 5k for the insulation. If I do it all I can get 2k in rebates bringing the job to 13. I can then get a 0% seven year loan on 10k. For reference a 5 unit ductless minisplit AC was 12 for the AC.

I think it's a little expensive but they are so highly recommended it seems reasonable.

I have another guy coming next Friday from a different company for a second quote. I need to find a third guy and get one more.

I wanted to quote myself and ask for any advice on this, so I had a second HVAC come out for a second quote, and he told me he wouldn't recommend an high velocity for a cape cod for a couple reasons:

1) since it's one zone, it'll hot upstairs and cool downstairs. The upstairs is already ten degrees warmer than down, and with a single zone it'll be almost impossible for upstairs and downstairs to both be comfortable.
2) The system is super loud and since it's in the knee wall right above a bedroom and right beside another bed, it'll be noise
3) To install it will require larger openings than I have, and to service it with out access to a couple of the sides will be a future problem
4) The NJ credits won't apply unless I do way more work than I need by a contractor that is likely more expensive, and you have to buy gear at certain price point which will make the rebate basically wash out

He recommended I just go ductless in the whole house. I don't mind the size, and the wall space is available, so I don't see why not. I'm waiting on pricing, but it seems it'll be in the ballpark of the other guy (10-12k) but they don't need me to also do the insulation at 5k (!!!!) to get 0% financing for a few years.

One option was a conventional A/C in the basement with ducting, but by the time we do all the labor, it'll be more expensive, and then I lose a bunch of my small but really nice and wide open basement, so that's a trade off.

I have one more guy to come out for a third quote, but I think the ductless at probably 11k for five rooms, 1100 sqft is what it will end up at.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

He recommended I just go ductless in the whole house. I don't mind the size, and the wall space is available, so I don't see why not. I'm waiting on pricing, but it seems it'll be in the ballpark of the other guy (10-12k) but they don't need me to also do the insulation at 5k (!!!!) to get 0% financing for a few years.

What all needs doing to bring your insulation up to rebate levels? To give you an idea, our got insulation blown in to R-38 + our exterior walls to R-13 on a 1250 sqft house for a total of $4,650. This was in east los angeles county, so it's not like labor is magically half as expensive.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

H110Hawk posted:

What all needs doing to bring your insulation up to rebate levels? To give you an idea, our got insulation blown in to R-38 + our exterior walls to R-13 on a 1250 sqft house for a total of $4,650. This was in east los angeles county, so it's not like labor is magically half as expensive.

Almost nothing, there's knee walls along each side of the roof (cape code with finished upstairs) that are maybe 30 feet long and eight foot slanted. The first company quoted me $5840 (!!!!) to pull out the old visible insulation and replace it along with the venting under it. Removal of the old insulation was $840 (!!!) which I can do myself and save the money.

The issue for the NJ Rebate is two fold:

1) that it must be done as part of a job that improves the SEER rating to a certain level, and they have a computer simulation that you have to plug the data into and it reports the savings. The A/C and the insulation are enough to hit this level and get 2k in rebates and 7 year 0% financing for 10k.
2) the work must be done by a licensed and registered contractor that is enrolled and certified in their energy program. Meaning the entire improvement has to be done by them so I can't do it myself. If I do the insulation myself, and they do the A/C, it's not enough to get the rebate and the financing.

I'm not sure if he's giving me a line, but regardless, it's how they price it. 12k for the ductless A/C, 5k for the insulation job, for a total of 17k-2k rebates, so 15k, and I can finance through NJ State the first 10k. The company, Building Sciences LLC, also comes highly recommended, so that's a plus.

The second contractor that came today told me that NJ rebates aren't that simple and they require a lot of paperwork and you have to use specific equipment that ends up being so much more expensive you lose the entire rebate in markups. I can do the upstairs insulation myself, or get someone to do it for easily less than 3k, meaning the rebate is meaningless. The second guy told me that even with the insulation and the high velocity system he doesn't think I'll meet the NJ efficiency requirements anyways, since it's such a small foot print of insulation. His company offers financing anyways, so I don't need to be trapped into a more expensive larger job, and end up with the same end result (central A/C, redone attic insulation, financing) for less, so there's no reason to go in for 17k with the first company to get 2k in meaningless rebates when the second company can do the ductless for 10k all in, with financing and I can get the insulation done for a lot less than the first company.

I have a third company that another friend used several times on a few of their houses and their family members coming too. I hope to get all three quotes by Monday and make my choice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I bought my house, my dad helped me replace the hot water heater. We put the new one up, it's properly strapped and secured, but his approach to the emergency vent pipe was to just slap some PVC on there so that it would drain to the floor instead of spraying scalding water at eye level. I didn't think much of this at the time, but I recently had a plumber on-site for an unrelated job and, while they approved of most of the installation, they pointed out that any inspector would take one look at that PVC and require it be replaced with metal pipe that properly drained to the outdoors.

Well hell, I can solder copper pipe. I fixed it today, but I'm not super-familiar with this particular domain so I was hoping to get someone more experienced to spot-check me.

(Click for fullsize)

On the left it goes up to a 3/4" threaded fitting that's screwed into the emergency vent fitting on the hot water heater, with plumber's tape. On the right, it goes out through the wall and vents to the outdoors (at a place that slopes away from the house, even). The pipe slopes downwards or is flat at all points. All fittings are soldered. I caulked the hole in the wall around the pipe.

Things I'm not sure about :
  • You'd have to cut the pipe to replace the hot water heater. That feels weird. Are you supposed to use some kind of flexible cable, or a reverse-threaded nipple, or something? I mean, it doesn't bother me much because I'm perfectly capable of cutting the pipe if I need to replace the heater, it just seems like my solution isn't as elegant as it ought to be.
  • Is there some kind of cap I should have on the outdoor section of the pipe? I'm imagining bugs crawling up the pipe and clogging it. But maybe I'm just being paranoid. Obviously any cap would need to come off automatically if the emergency vent were used.

Here's hoping I don't end up in crappy construction tales! :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

baquerd posted:

Super-mild winter by me this year, only ran my snow blower twice. Should I still change the oil over such light usage?

I haven't changed the oil in mine in nine years. Still mostly clear.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've got a similar problem with my neighbors, their house is a shihole and is infested every spring and I'm worried the bees will fund their way across the alley to my place. I haven't found any better way than building a carpenter bee trap, but I'd be curious if anyone else has an idea

Nail up a sacrificial layer of cedar, or a couple of 2x4s. Don't kill carpenter bees.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 25, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PainterofCrap posted:

I haven't changed the oil in mine in nine years. Still mostly clear.

Nail up a sacrificial layer of cedar, or a couple of 2x4s. Don't kill carpenter bees.

Well, I killed roughly a dozen with a shovel one day last year while I was digging out an old flowerbed. Not gonna lie, felt pretty good. :black101:

Fuckers can have my neighbors place, but I'll be damned if they start chewing down my house

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Almost nothing, there's knee walls along each side of the roof (cape code with finished upstairs) that are maybe 30 feet long and eight foot slanted. The first company quoted me $5840 (!!!!) to pull out the old visible insulation and replace it along with the venting under it. Removal of the old insulation was $840 (!!!) which I can do myself and save the money.

The issue for the NJ Rebate is two fold:

1) that it must be done as part of a job that improves the SEER rating to a certain level, and they have a computer simulation that you have to plug the data into and it reports the savings. The A/C and the insulation are enough to hit this level and get 2k in rebates and 7 year 0% financing for 10k.
2) the work must be done by a licensed and registered contractor that is enrolled and certified in their energy program. Meaning the entire improvement has to be done by them so I can't do it myself. If I do the insulation myself, and they do the A/C, it's not enough to get the rebate and the financing.

That pretty much matches what's listed on the program's site: http://www.njcleanenergy.com/residential/programs/home-performance-energy-star/frequently-asked-questions#participatingcontractor http://www.njcleanenergy.com/residential/programs/home-performance-energy-star/benefits-and-incentives http://www.njcleanenergy.com/files/...7_01_16%20FINAL(1).pdf

quote:

The second contractor that came today told me that NJ rebates aren't that simple and they require a lot of paperwork and you have to use specific equipment that ends up being so much more expensive you lose the entire rebate in markups.

There's no real indication that you have to use specific equipment for it, it just has to meet specific efficiency requirements (see PDF linked before). Maybe there's a requirement that isn't listed on the site?

I guess if you don't need a bunch of insulation, the NJ rebate program might not make a whole lot of sense. We have an attic with insulation varying between R-1 and R-7, so adding insulation is going to be a big help to comfort/energy bills.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I think this goes here better than in the plumbing thread.

Our new house has a drain system around the house. It's pretty badly clogged up, mostly with sand and small aggregates (not gravel but similar). What is the best way to get it clean? Just run water and use an auger to slowly drain it? Is there a better way to clear it out quickly?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When I bought my house, my dad helped me replace the hot water heater. We put the new one up, it's properly strapped and secured, but his approach to the emergency vent pipe was to just slap some PVC on there so that it would drain to the floor instead of spraying scalding water at eye level. I didn't think much of this at the time, but I recently had a plumber on-site for an unrelated job and, while they approved of most of the installation, they pointed out that any inspector would take one look at that PVC and require it be replaced with metal pipe that properly drained to the outdoors.

Well hell, I can solder copper pipe. I fixed it today, but I'm not super-familiar with this particular domain so I was hoping to get someone more experienced to spot-check me.

(Click for fullsize)

On the left it goes up to a 3/4" threaded fitting that's screwed into the emergency vent fitting on the hot water heater, with plumber's tape. On the right, it goes out through the wall and vents to the outdoors (at a place that slopes away from the house, even). The pipe slopes downwards or is flat at all points. All fittings are soldered. I caulked the hole in the wall around the pipe.

Things I'm not sure about :
  • You'd have to cut the pipe to replace the hot water heater. That feels weird. Are you supposed to use some kind of flexible cable, or a reverse-threaded nipple, or something? I mean, it doesn't bother me much because I'm perfectly capable of cutting the pipe if I need to replace the heater, it just seems like my solution isn't as elegant as it ought to be.
  • Is there some kind of cap I should have on the outdoor section of the pipe? I'm imagining bugs crawling up the pipe and clogging it. But maybe I'm just being paranoid. Obviously any cap would need to come off automatically if the emergency vent were used.

Here's hoping I don't end up in crappy construction tales! :v:

If you're under the IRC that's totally not correct - T&P valves need to be air gapped near the unit. Most typically you just run a piece of straight copper to a couple inches above the pan. Maybe other codes treat this differently.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

devicenull posted:

That pretty much matches what's listed on the program's site: http://www.njcleanenergy.com/residential/programs/home-performance-energy-star/frequently-asked-questions#participatingcontractor http://www.njcleanenergy.com/residential/programs/home-performance-energy-star/benefits-and-incentives http://www.njcleanenergy.com/files/...7_01_16%20FINAL(1).pdf

There's no real indication that you have to use specific equipment for it, it just has to meet specific efficiency requirements (see PDF linked before). Maybe there's a requirement that isn't listed on the site?

I guess if you don't need a bunch of insulation, the NJ rebate program might not make a whole lot of sense. We have an attic with insulation varying between R-1 and R-7, so adding insulation is going to be a big help to comfort/energy bills.

Maybe I wasn't accurate but it wasn't that it had to be a certain brand but that it needs to be certified to meet a certain energy efficiency​ which ends up costing more than the rebates anyways. My energy bills is around 200 a month so if I have 15% more efficiency it'd take like six years for it to pay for itself saving only $30 a month. Is that worth spending 5k more on the install? Not really to me since I don't plan on living in this house for that long.

I need maybe twenty feet long by five feet high of insulation replaced. I don't see that costing me five grand so there's no sense in pursuing the rebate to save two but still have to spend three.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

If you're under the IRC that's totally not correct - T&P valves need to be air gapped near the unit. Most typically you just run a piece of straight copper to a couple inches above the pan. Maybe other codes treat this differently.

That is not universal. Ours is contiguous copper pipe to the outside as pictured above. I asked when we bought our place if this was as simple as me threading a piece of copper to the existing drain pan and was told it had to get to the outside world.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

This page shows a diagram for water heaters with no air gap for the relief valve. It also says:

quote:

Relief valves located inside a building shall be provided with a drain, not smaller than the relief valve outlet, of galvanized steel, hard-drawn copper piping and fittings, CPVC or listed relief valve drain tube with fittings that will not reduce the internal bore of the pipe or tubing (straight lengths as opposed to coils) and shall extend from the valve to the outside of the building, with the end of the pipe not more than two feet nor less than six inches above ground or the flood level of the area receiving the discharge and pointing downward. Such drains shall be permitted to terminate at other approved locations. Relief valve drains shall not terminate in a building’s crawl space. No part of such drain pipe shall be trapped or subject to freezing. The terminal end of the drain pipe shall not be threaded.(2010 CPC 608.5)

Discharge from a relief valve into a water heater pan shall be prohibited. (2010 CPC 508.5)
(And yes, I'm in California)

So it sounds like the code where I am doesn't match the code you're familiar with.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bobulus posted:

Hey. So I bought a house last year, and recently I discovered a leak in my roof. A cursory inspection makes it seem like the rest of the roof is fine, but this one area is water weakened or something. TL;DR, I need to repair it from the outside myself, because I don't think I can afford to pay someone to do it, but I've never done this before, so any guides would be useful.

Details:

- The rest of the roof seems sound. I've walked all over it, installing an antenna and cleaning the gutters. But there was one spot that, as soon as I stepped on it, shifted under me, and the shingles immediately sunk. Now there's a depression up there that water can pool in.
- This area was apparently a problem in the past, because directly under it, I found a cracked area of the ceiling (now that the shingles are depressed there, that crack has started leaking again. It wasn't when I moved in last year)
- I attempted to fix it from inside the attic (basically, push the shingles back into place, then patch the hole in the plywood with some new wood), but the roof is sloped and the hole happens to be in an area where the roof and the attic floor are less than a foot apart. I can't reach it to do anything to it. To even see the hole was a huge pain.
- The roof is about seven years old (there was a big hail storm here back in 2009 and apparently a lot of roofs got replaced).
- The house itself was built in the early 60s.
- The shingles around the water-damaged area don't seem to be tarred down as well as other areas of the roof. I'm no expert, so I don't know if the water damage caused the loose shingles, or the loose shingles caused the water damage.

Basically what TMA said, but I'm thinking the roofers who did the job in 2009 dropped the ball not repairing that patch. Good luck calling them back.
You'll have to pull shingles loose and repair it from the top, and probably ought to get some pros for that.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Maybe I wasn't accurate but it wasn't that it had to be a certain brand but that it needs to be certified to meet a certain energy efficiency​ which ends up costing more than the rebates anyways. My energy bills is around 200 a month so if I have 15% more efficiency it'd take like six years for it to pay for itself saving only $30 a month. Is that worth spending 5k more on the install? Not really to me since I don't plan on living in this house for that long.

I need maybe twenty feet long by five feet high of insulation replaced. I don't see that costing me five grand so there's no sense in pursuing the rebate to save two but still have to spend three.

Yea, that doesn't really seem to make sense for you (especially if you're not going to be there long term)

devicenull fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 25, 2017

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Which thread would I be best asking about say, whittling as a hobby? Like questions about tools and wood. The woodworking thread?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I need to cut some cement bricks I'm using for a small paving project. I've been using a brick set chisel to cut some of them, but it's not working when trying to cut lengthwise.

Should I get a masonry blade for my circular saw? Or should I pick up that angle grinder I've been eyeballing for a while now?

Or are neither of those reasonable?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So it sounds like the code where I am doesn't match the code you're familiar with.

Yep, absolutely. That's why I mentioned it may be different.

So in that case, sorry.....I have no idea. If you installed a water heater to my reading of that code it would get red tagged here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I need to cut some cement bricks I'm using for a small paving project. I've been using a brick set chisel to cut some of them, but it's not working when trying to cut lengthwise.

Should I get a masonry blade for my circular saw? Or should I pick up that angle grinder I've been eyeballing for a while now?

Or are neither of those reasonable?

I've cut through cement sidewalk with a cement blade in my circular saw. It's not a huge deal. Just don't take off too much at a time, and wear goggles, hearing protection, and a breathing mask. You'll kick up a lot of dust.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I've cut through cement sidewalk with a cement blade in my circular saw. It's not a huge deal. Just don't take off too much at a time, and wear goggles, hearing protection, and a breathing mask. You'll kick up a lot of dust.

Maybe have someone spray it with a hose while you cut? Just keep the cord out the way and make sure it's connected to a GFCI outlet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Maybe have someone spray it with a hose while you cut? Just keep the cord out the way and make sure it's connected to a GFCI outlet.

This, it only takes a little water to keep dust down.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Check to make sure the blade is rated for wet use. My memory's a little fuzzy, but I think not all blades are.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, watch it; you'll be slinging water all over the place, and it will get into your saw & ruin your day.

I was fortunate to be able to rent a large wet-saw at a local rental place when I had to cut patio pavers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You know those little hand-pumped garden sprayers? Our builder used one of those and a 6" corded Makita to do the paving for three houses with no issue, you're not trying to wash the dust away of course, just stop it flying.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
This is a bit of an odd-ball question. I'm into amateur astronomy, and want to build myself a more permanent installation for my telescope. The traditional method is to sink a concrete pier, then build a shed around it which has a roll-off roof, or sometimes the whole shed rolls away.

These have always felt unnecessarily large in my opinion. I run my telescope remotely, so I don't need space to walk around, and the scope doesn't need to be at eye level. But more importantly, I don't have a good location to put a big-rear end shed with a roll-away roof without my neighbors getting irritated. :)

Instead of building up, I'm thinking about digging a shallow "basement" to help reduce the profile of a small covering shed. E.g. 3'x3' square and maybe 2-3' deep? Combined with a shorter pier, that should allow the roll-off shed portion to be relatively close to the ground and be less of an eyesore.

Is this a valid idea from a construction point of view? Would I need to treat it like a real foundation with a footer, slab, etc? Or because it's so shallow could I get away with something simpler, like just concrete blocks and maybe crushed gravel "floor"?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I don't have any help for you but I wanted to point out this is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

polyfractal posted:

Is this a valid idea from a construction point of view? Would I need to treat it like a real foundation with a footer, slab, etc? Or because it's so shallow could I get away with something simpler, like just concrete blocks and maybe crushed gravel "floor"?

Your biggest problem will be drainage. if you live in a relatively dry area, then yeah I think the idea is plausible. if you don't, you might need a dry well next to it to drain into.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Qwijib0 posted:

Your biggest problem will be drainage. if you live in a relatively dry area, then yeah I think the idea is plausible. if you don't, you might need a dry well next to it to drain into.

To expand on this a bit, the ground is wet; if you have a dry hole in the ground, pretty soon it'll be a wet hole unless you give the water somewhere better to flow to. As far as simpler solutions are concerned, digging a hole is not simpler. Better would be to simplify the aboveground structure.

Since you don't need the telescope at eye level, you can make the structure shorter (depending on how tall the telescope is of course). You can build a shed roof instead of a gable roof (quick roof style guide), which means you only need to make one course of rafters and there's no miter joint in the middle. In fact, if the structure's small enough you can probably omit the rafters entirely and just make the roof out of a painted sheet of plywood. And for opening the roof, you can probably just remove the entire roof and set it to the side when you need to use the telescope -- for a sense of scale, a 4'x8' sheet of .75" plywood weighs around 60 pounds. That implies some kind of non-tool-requiring mechanism to secure the roof to the rest of the structure; personally I'd go with 3/8" bolts (put knobs on them so you don't need a wrench) that go into nuts that are secured to the housing.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Makes sense. I somewhat naively was thinking the hole could be sealed with plastic sheeting or something. But then it's just a big bucket and will collect any stray water or moisture that happens to find it's way in, so perhaps not the best idea in retrospect :v:

If it matters, the yard has a pretty good slope to it. Somewhere around a 15% grade before flattening out closer to the road. Would that be sufficient to keep the hole on the drier side? We live in Vermont, so probably just average rainfall/snowmelt. Not a desert, but not the amazon either.

A simple shed is definitely a valid option, and should still be pretty small. I'll do some measuring and see how small I could realistically make it. My main hesitation was mainly from aesthetics due to the location: our house sits at the back of the property near some trees, which makes the backyard tough to use with a scope due to poor sky view. The front yard along one of the property lines would make a much better location... but then it becomes an eyesore issue with the neighbors :)

But maybe I can just put the composter and some other gardening things with it to make a little cluster of stuff, which would look less odd than a single shed chilling by itself in the front yard.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I wonder if you could get away with pouring a 3'x3' slab, bolting the telescope to that, and building a doghouse-shaped-object with a flip-away roof around it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Safety Dance posted:

I wonder if you could get away with pouring a 3'x3' slab, bolting the telescope to that, and building a doghouse-shaped-object with a flip-away roof around it.

Another option would be to put a door or window on your house that the telescope was large enough to fit out and put a sliding platform inside your house that slides out with the telescope on it. Something like one of those under the sink garbage cans that the door of the cabinet attaches too and the whole deal slides out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

polyfractal posted:

A simple shed is definitely a valid option, and should still be pretty small. I'll do some measuring and see how small I could realistically make it. My main hesitation was mainly from aesthetics due to the location: our house sits at the back of the property near some trees, which makes the backyard tough to use with a scope due to poor sky view. The front yard along one of the property lines would make a much better location... but then it becomes an eyesore issue with the neighbors :)

"Eyesore" is pretty much determined by how good you are at aesthetics. It's possible to make an attractive small shed with appropriate attention to design and color. For bonus points, since it's in the front yard (and therefore presumably accessible to the public) you could attach a Little Free Library to it.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Thanks for the input everyone! I'll investigate the miniature shed route more closely, seems like it'll just be all around easier. And I'll chat with my neighbor, they may not care at all anyway :)

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Another option would be to put a door or window on your house that the telescope was large enough to fit out and put a sliding platform inside your house that slides out with the telescope on it. Something like one of those under the sink garbage cans that the door of the cabinet attaches too and the whole deal slides out.

Unfortunately, this would be tricky to pull off for astrophoto reasons. The major problem is sky view; unless you had a long track the telescope would end up next to the house and have a limited view of the sky. You'd probably have to recalibrate it each night too, which largely defeats the benefit of a permanent setup. That's why you see the shed rolling away instead of the telescope in my earlier post.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Well pump houses/sheds would be another good thing to look at for inspiration. Size is about right.

They even make giant fake boulders that could likely be modified to have a tilt-off top. http://rocksfast.com/

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Folks down the street built a TARDIS on their roof.

Also cool is that on that corner various neighbors have built a multi-denominational community shrine.

Lots of creative ways to go.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

socketwrencher posted:

Folks down the street built a TARDIS on their roof.

Also cool is that on that corner various neighbors have built a multi-denominational community shrine.

Lots of creative ways to go.

That's one way to build a belfry woops, cupola.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 2, 2017

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

kid sinister posted:

That's one way to build a belfry woops, cupola.

Ha- yeah they also have the hull of an old wooden ship in the backyard where they hang out and watch movies that are projected onto the side of the house.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Diamond blade in the circular saw worked well enough. Note - Home Depot keeps these blades in the tool rental section.

There was an old gas fire pit in the middle of my concrete patio that was made of cinderblocks and was literally crumbling, had rusted out gas elements, and had been cut off from the gas supply years ago. Interestingly in the size and shape of a stop sign.

Dog for scale.

Now to find something to do with all of the debris from demolition...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

socketwrencher posted:

Ha- yeah they also have the hull of an old wooden ship in the backyard where they hang out and watch movies that are projected onto the side of the house.

Mosquito Theater, my favorite!